Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to (1) use what you have / shop your stash; (2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. I plan to post a photo of the products and tag those that may be available at Sephora. To keep things interesting and add a bit of fun to this experiment, I will try to have most of the products used fall within the weekly prompts/themes (see below), but, even though I have a fairly robust amount of makeup, there will be weeks when there may only be a few items that will fall squarely within that particular week's theme. All that to say, if you don't have a product that fits wholly within the prompt, don't let that keep you from participating. 

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.16.2024]

Spoiler
Week 14 (April 1 - 7) - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule - Was there a prompt or theme in the previous 13 weeks that you loved and want to repeat, with or without changes? Or that you want to "do over"? Or, was there a capsule that you missed out on and want to give a try?  If so, this is your week! Don't remember all the prompts we've been through over the last 3 months? No problem. Check out the Past Makeup Capsule Collection Challenge Themes

Week 15 (April 8 - 14) - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - Curate a capsule that includes one or more products from makeup brands created by makeup artists.  A non-exhaustive list of celebrity makeup-artist-founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below. 

Or, did you pick up any makeup beauties during the Sephora sale that you want to play with? Share your newness with us and incorporate one or more of the goodies you hauled during the sale into your capsule this week. 

Week 16 (April 15 - 21) - The BIC Inspired (Spring Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - Has there been a product (or two, or three...) you were inspired or enabled to pick up after seeing or hearing one (or more) of your fellow BIC beauties talk about or show it off in a look of the day?  Incorporate one or more BIC enabled product into this week's capsule. Or, curate a capsule with one or more items you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event. Or, combine both prompts this week. 

Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)

Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or rediscover any tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. Or, if you just want more time to spolight your newness from the Sephora Spring Savings Sale Shopping Spree, have at it and put together a makeup capsule with one or more products from your sale purchases! 

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Challenges: [Updated 4.16.2024]

Spoiler
Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

Q&A:

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why Weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube), Makeup Bag Monday, where she would rotate her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. She would post every Monday the products she selected for the upcoming week and provide detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews but will at least try to include a recap of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

Other Challenges On the Forums Worth a Look:
Spoiler

These are just a few of the many, MANY challenges on the forums. I've included links to ones that are active and will try to update accordingly. Some I participate in regularly, others I post to every so often, and others still I visit to learn about makeup products, tips and tricks, or just to see what's going on. 

Shopping Your Stash / Using What You Have

* Project Pan: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge
* Foil Challenge: Foil Challenge

* No Buy / Low Buy:2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET - to be updated with link to 2024 thread

Nails
* With Monthly Themes: Monthly Manicure Challenge 2024

Makeup:
* With Weekly Themes: Makeup Challenge of the Week
* Lipstick/Lip Products Focused: 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge 
* Eyeshadow Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeshadow Challenge
* Eyeliner Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeliner 
* Cheeks Focused: [Edited 1.20.2024] Cheek Challenge Winter 2024: Mocktail Makeup

Skincare:

Fragrance
* Home Fragrance: Home Fragrance Thread

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Super fun collab! @itsfi @danielledanielle @CynthieLu 💗💗💗🥂🥂🥂

@CynthieLu, thanks!  I'm glad @itsfi and @sister13 were up for it, too!

I like your edit.   I forgot about the ND combo palettes (Glam, Love), smart pick.  SPF can be so tricky with bases and skincare.  Then there's the format!  Choosing a stick vs moisturizer vs lotion vs powder vs setting spray can be so overwhelming, but when you find the ONE, 🙌🏽🤌🏽🤌🏽

It's been super fun @danielledanielle 

I usually give my SPF *a lot"of time to settle in before I do my makeup, I was really happy that those two products didn't react at all with eachother. I think it's a combo I'm going to take advantage of more often. SPF + the Star Filter, feels like a skin win to me. 😄🙌

The Fast and Furious/ Easy Makeup Capsule - This a perfect theme for me this week. I don't know if it's because this is a short week or just life in general but I have been feeling like I have no time lately.

20240327_153120.jpg

Spoiler

Lovely choices 💞 @Mellmars1185 I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling a lack of time lately. I understand that feeling, there are not enough hours in the day between all the demands some times. I hope everything can slow down for you soon. 🙏

@CynthieLu Thank you. I guess it comes in waves. There are a few things I need to get done on my to do list this weekend. If I get them done, I think it might make me feel more at ease.

Smart use of that Patrick Ta duo @Mellmars1185! Your makeup capsule looks fantastic. I’m all for quick and easy makeup, and agree with your feelings about not having time. 😞 

@itsfi Thank you! I hope to slow down this long weekend and enjoy every moment. 

I did a fast face today getting ready for a zoom call. Skincare was done when I first woke up, so skincare not included. 

I also forgot to time it (because I was running late for a zoom call) but here’s a version of my standard 5-ish minute face. 

Basically, I used the Danessa Myricks Beauty Yummy Skin Moisture Repair Balm Serum with Hyaluronic Acid and Squalane 1.41 ... #because my skin has been super dry, then the Danessa Myricks Beauty Yummy Skin Blurring Balm Powder 3 for all over evening out and light coverage. I forgot in the picture, but I used MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Color Pencil Brow, Eye & Lip Liner 500 Boundless Bisque for spot concealer as my skin not behaving lately. This is fast because it's a pencil and doesn't need a lot of care to blend but is pigmented enough to cover red spots. 

I always use mytarte Timeless Smoothing Primer 0.5 oz/ 14.2 g to fill large pores on my nose, then tightline with any black eyeliner, this time NARS High-Pigment Longwear Eyeliner though SEPHORA COLLECTION Sephora Colorful® Waterproof Eyeshadow & Eyeliner Multi-Stick 24 Black Matte is faster because it’s thicker and I have to be less careful about poking myself in the eye. That would be my capsule item. 

Two Guccis today, the Gucci Gucci Crayon Définition Sourcils Eyebrow Pencil which I love and the Gucci L'Obscur Lengthening Mascara 1 Eve Black which is also exceptional. 

Finished with a touch of Too Faced Cloud Crush Blurring Blush Tequila Sunset to cheeks and a little on eyes, and then was going to do a lip liner and gloss but figured the tarte maracuja juicy lip plump shift was more of an all in one & faster. I think this was probably about 6 mins, but i'll try to remember to time myself next time! 

I’ve x posted to the Re: Makeup Challenge of the Week 2021/2022/2023 if you want to see the face itself  and Sephora Six - Fast & Furious Edition !  

IMG_1177.jpeg

You too with the Gucci mascara @sister13? I keep hearing how fab it is. I really need to work through my mascaras and remember to go for the Gucci the next time it's time to open a new mascara. 

I know, it really is a nice one and I'm a little surprised every time I use it again. Lengthening and separating with enough volume. It doesn't flake or smudge and stays all day. I would definitely get it on sale or in that gucci flora set if ever comes back. @itsfi 

That sounds fabulous @sister13. I know @heartsmyface is a fan as well. I have a mini and a full size of the Gucci mascara - will try to remember to reach for it when allergy season ends for me. 

@sister13 Six minutes is super impressive!  And what a great tip to use the MUFE pencil as a spot concealer!  I have a few skin toned eyeliners that I've used in my waterline in the past.... might need to try one as a spot concealer in a purse!

I echo @missjeanie's comment about the MUFE pencil as a spot concealer! I would never have thought to use it in that way. Great tip @sister13😁

Yes, that one works great because sometimes concealer works like it’s supposed but sometimes not, lol. I’ll have to time it tomorrow! @missjeanie 

1000003107.jpg

Poundcake Beauty lip in Bloodberry

Hourglass Unlocked Tiger palette

Ami Colé foundation brush 

Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Dune 

Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Flame 

Ami Colé Skin-Enhancing Lightweight & Blurring Foundation Stick 

GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI Hella On Point Clean Ultra-Fine Brow Pencil 5 

Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Romance 

PATRICK TA Precision Dual Ended Sculpting Brush 

Danessa Myricks Beauty Linework Paintbrush Fluid Liquid Eyeliner 0.034 oz / 1 ml

Supergoop! 100% Mineral (Re)setting Powder SPF 35 Medium 

Okay, so this is more than 6.  (Ya girl can count, she just wanted options.)  I also haven't really had the chance to enjoy certain items, such as Romance, so this is a good opportunity.

The trick/key to this IMO is two fold, products you know well, so user error is minimal and you can be quick.  The other trick is having a multitasking palette or stick.

This is a beautiful makeup capsule @danielledanielle😍 I'm seeing a magnificently creative tie-in to the collab with the 6 non-tool product brands you're using here - Ami Cole, Danessa Myricks, GXVE, Hourglass, Poundcake, and  Supergoop are some excellent brands with some great products. I see the Poundcake lippies and they are some gorgeous reds. Excited to hear your thoughts on the formulation and wear.

@itsfi @danielledanielle Loop holes were made to be found!  6 products is a super tiny capsule, I'm impressed with six brands, gotta have options!  

@itsfi, The Poundcake in Bloodberry and GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI I’m Still Here Longwear Clean Matte Liquid Lipstick Fishnets are practically twins.  The Poundcake has a mousse consistency like Rare Beauty Souffle lipsticks.  The dry down isn't as great, so it can be smeary if it doesn't set all the way, BUT it behaves like a lip stain once it sets.  I picked it over the Gxve for this week for that reason, also bearing in mind that either one can sub in as a blush.

ETA: I didn't even realize it was six brands 🤦🏽‍♀️🤣

"ETA: I didn't even realize it was six brands" 

I got you @danielledanielle👊 I was able to find a way to fit things in the weekly masking themes, even the most challenging of them, back in the day; and, I'm more than up for fitting capsules into the Sephora Six prompt. 😉 

That's good to know about the Poundcake lippies. I see them on occasion in certain stores but the reds, while absolutely gorgeous, scare me - they look beautifully pigmented which is great, but most of my reds (that were not part of a generous gratis) are on the more sheer side. It is helpful to know about the Poundcake for gifting. 

Week 13 - The "Fast & Furious Full Face in 5 Minutes Or Under, With 6 or Fewer Products" Makeup Capsule 

13 - Fast & Furious Collab.jpg

The Products:

Spoiler

Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation - this is a 🐐 GOAT  (Greatest OAll Time) in the tinted sunscreen category - it evens tone, provides sun protection (though I use a separate SPF as well). I make every effort to always have a tube of this beauty in the house.

Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides - glam for me means a little healthy glow to my mug and this is a good one to mix with another product for that dewy, healthy, lit from within bronzy glow. I usually mix this with a Korean sunscreen but for the challenge I mixed it with the Tower 28 tinted sunscreen foundation and it came out beautifully. 

Tower 28 Beauty x Kung Fu Panda BeachPlease - Dumpling Hour (limited edition) - this was part of the Lunar New Year 2024 collection. This baby is very pigmented, but it can be easily sheered out (or built up if desired). I used this on my cheeks and lips. To make sure the blush color was not too much for me, I picked up product and applied it first to my lips, using what color remained on my fingerpads on my cheeks, and adjusted from there.

Alleyoop Pen Pal 4-in-1 Touch-Up Pen - Make a Mauve - this is a new to me product. It includes a brow liner (brown), eyeliner (black), highlighter (champagne) and lip liner (mauve). This morning, I just used the brow liner for brows, eyeliner and eyeshadow, and the highlighter, which I had the most problems with. I did use the black liner just a smidge to help smoke out the line a little.

Yves Saint Laurent Lash Clash Extreme Volume Mascara Noir - this was quick and easy and gave my eyes that wide awake look! 

Soleil Toujours Clean Conscious Body Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C SPF 30-50 - yes, intended for the body, but I've used it before to touch up SPF on the face and did the same here and as a setting spray. No vision blurriness, watery eyes, or irritation. 

Cross posting to:

Excited to see what capsule option y'all decided to curate this last week of March! 😍

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos263
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1