Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC! Use this thread to document and challenge yourself to (1) use what you have / shop your stash; (2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. I plan to post a photo of the products and tag those that may be available at Sephora. To keep things interesting and add a bit of fun to this experiment, I will try to have most of the products used fall within the weekly prompts/themes (see below), but, even though I have a fairly robust amount of makeup, there will be weeks when there may only be a few items that will fall squarely within that particular week's theme. All that to say, if you don't have a product that fits wholly within the prompt, don't let that keep you from participating. 

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 3.1.2024]

Week
Dates
Capsule Theme
February 26 - March 3
The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or 
The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule (thank you @cianni for this marvelous idea)
Three (3) options this week for your makeup capsule - 
  1. The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule - What makeup product(s) from the past 3 weeks stood out to you? Put together a makeup capsule with your favorite makeup products used this month.

2. The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Have some makeup items you're not sure whether to keep or declutter? Bring them together for this week's capsule and let us know at the end of the week which of your beauties on the chopping block are staying another day, and which, if any, you've decided will no longer be part of your collection.

3. The Hybrid Makeup Capsule - Mix it up and curate a capsule with your makeup favorites from this month, along with some beauty products that you've been on the fence about.
March 4 - 10
The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - In honor of International Women's Day (March 8), curate capsule with 2 or more makeup products from a woman owned / founded (or co-owned / founded) brand from around the world. [NOTE: A partial list of brands that fit within this prompt can be found below].
March 11 - 17
The "One Brand or All The Brands" Makeup Capsule - Browse your stash and put together a capsule for a full look with either makeup products from (a) one brand or (b) all different brands.
This week's prompt was inspired by @sister13 who included this theme in the Makeup Looks Challenge and @Mellmars1185. Thank you, ladies! What a great idea for a capsule!
March 18 - 24 
The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or 
The Pops of Colour Makeup Capsule (thank you @missjeanie for this fun and fabulous prompt!) - Spring is in the air! Create a makeup capsule with one or more product(s) that (a) give you springtime feels; (b) add a pop of colour to your everyday "go to" look; (c) pops because it's all about ALL the colors; or (d) any combination of the (a), (b), and (c). 
March 25 - 31
The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Let's close out the month with a capsule made up of the makeup products that (a) were the best of the beauties you used this month; (b) are items you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; or (c) a combination of both.

Woman Founded / Owned Makeup Brands:

Spoiler
This list is not exhaustive of all makeup brand founded or owned by woman. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to its name are available outside of Sephora US.

*About Face
*Alleyoop
Ami Cole
Antastasia Beverly Hills
*Apprenti Or'ganik
bareMinerals
BASMA
*Beauty Bakerie
Beautyblender
Benefit Cosmetics
*Besame
Bobbi Brown
*by Terry
Caliray
Cay Skin
*Chanel
*Chantecaille
Charlotte Tilbury
*Cheekbone Beauty
Ciele
Clinique
Danessa Myricks
Dominique Cosmetics
*Em Cosmetics
*Ere Perez
Estee Lauder
*Evio
Fashion Fair
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna
Freck Beauty
Glossier
GXVE by Gwen Stefani
Haus Labs by Lady Gaga
*Henne Organics
Hourglass
Huda Beauty
Iconic London
Ilia
iNNBeauty Project
Iris&Romeo
IT Cosmetics
*Jane Iredale
Jiliian Depsey
*Jones Road 
Jouer Cosmetics
*Juvia's Place
*Kjaer Weiss
Kosas
Kulfi
KVD Beauty
Laura Mercier
Lawless
lilah b.
Lipstick Queen
*Lisa Eldridge
LYS Beauty
Mango People
Melt Cosmetics
*mented Cosmetics
Milk Makeup
Natasha Denona
Nudestix
*Orce Cosmetics
Pat McGrath Labs
*Prados Beauty
Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez
REFY
*R.E.M. Beauty
*Rituel de Fille
Rose Inc.
Saint Jane
stila
Summer Fridays
Supergoop!
tarte
Tatcha
Tower 28 Beauty
*Uoma Beauty
*Victoria Beckham Beauty
Violet Voss
Wander Beauty
*W3LL People
Westman Atelier

Past Themes:

Spoiler
January prompts.png
February prompts.png

Q&A:

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why Weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube), Makeup Bag Monday, where she would rotate her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. She would post every Monday the products she selected for the upcoming week and provide detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews but will at least try to include a recap of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

Other Challenges On the Forums Worth a Look:
Spoiler

These are just a few of the many, MANY challenges on the forums. I've included links to ones that are active and will try to update accordingly. Some I participate in regularly, others I post to every so often, and others still I visit to learn about makeup products, tips and tricks, or just to see what's going on. 

Shopping Your Stash / Using What You Have

* Project Pan: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge
* Foil Challenge: Foil Challenge

* No Buy / Low Buy:2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET - to be updated with link to 2024 thread

Nails
* With Monthly Themes: Monthly Manicure Challenge 2024

Makeup:
* With Weekly Themes: Makeup Challenge of the Week
* Lipstick/Lip Products Focused: 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge 
* Eyeshadow Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeshadow Challenge
* Eyeliner Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeliner 
* Cheeks Focused: [Edited 1.20.2024] Cheek Challenge Winter 2024: Mocktail Makeup

Skincare:

Fragrance
* Home Fragrance: Home Fragrance Thread

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Week 9 in Review - The February 2024 "Best Of" and/or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 

Quite a few products were on the chopping block this week - some survived, others have been chopped! 😆 Here's a quick breakdown of where most items landed. 

9 - RECAP - Undecided.jpg

Spoiler
Undecided:
🌻 There's nothing wrong with the Sephora Collection Boost + Lock Eyeshadow Primer; there's just other primers I have open already that perform just as well if not better than this one. I'll keep it for now; if I end up not reaching for it frequently within the next few months, it will be decluttered.

🌹 I like the color of the Sephora Collection metallic eyeshadow; it's got a pretty, metallic finish to it that would be great for an evening out. I'm just not sure how often I would reach for it. As with the SC eyeshadow primer, I'll see how often I reach for it over the next few months. If I'm getting some meaningful use out of it, I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll plan to gift it to someone who will get more use out of it.

💮The Makeup by Mario nude eyeliner is great on the waterline; it helps to make me look more awake. It does tickle though when I apply it. Wondering how much I'd use it in other capsules. Will revisit this another day.

Surprise Hit:
🐈Tower 28 Beauty OneLiner Lip Liner + Eyeliner + Cheek Pencil Work Of Art is like a cat with 9 lives. This pairs well with clear glosses / oils / balms and as a way to get more wear time of those items, I'll keep the Tower 28 liner, at least until I find a brown liner that I love. 

Repurposed
💡 Okay, the e.l.f. lip scrub, on its own, hurts. The granules are rough on my lips and I intended to toss it. I ended up mixing it with the Laneige Lip Balm - Pear to make it more emollient and gentler on my lips. That's worked out really well. 

Decluttered

9 - Recap - On the Chopping Block (Feb).jpg

Spoiler
🗑 I have a handful of concealers to work my way through, most open, others waiting in the wings. I wore the Revlon Color Stay 5-in-1 Concealer this week and it was fine, but not standout, so I'm going to toss it. (I used the attached sponge tip applicator so I can't clean it up so somoene can re-use it, so off to the trash can it goes. 

🏡 Iconic London Prep-Set-Glow Hydrating Glowy Setting Spray Original makes me look too shiny. The bottle is near full so I'll see about finding this a new home where it will be loved.

🏡 The color and tone of NUDESTIX Nudies Matte Cream Bronzer Bondi Bae is just too warm and yellow for me. Will look to rehome this beauty.

🗑 Sadly, I'm not able to make the Kaja Wink Stamp Original Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen Original - Ink Black work for me. 

🏡Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick Moonstone is too glittery for me. I like the champagne shade, but the fallout on this one doesn't help. I've sanitized it with alcohol and will see if I can find someone who will love it.

🏡 The 2 e.l.f. primers don't standout enough compared to the original version to make these worth keeping, especially since I have a lot of other face primers that I do like - the original poreless version is just as mattifying as the matte version and while the luminous version gives more of a glow to the complexion, it's not so noticeable to warrant keeping it. 

🏡 Smashbox colour correcting green primer is too thick for my liking and thus, makes it a little difficult to apply. I prefer the Dr. Jart mini Cicapair Treatment over the Smashbox.

🗑 Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara is not a good mascara for me. It smudges easily and a lot. This was an easy one to toss. 

Makeup Capsule Declutters: The February Edit

Month-To-Date: 12

Year-To-Date: 18

Spoiler
9 - Declutters - Feb Capsules.jpg
9 - Decluters 2.2024 All Capsules.jpg

Tell more more about ...:

9 - RECAP - Follow Up.jpg

Spoiler

I was asked about these two products and have a few thoughts on them after putting them to the test this week. 

🤔 IT Cosmetics Mini CC+ Cream Full Coverage Color Correcting Foundation with SPF 50+ Fair Light is indeed full coverage, but with a light consistency, and that can be sheered out (or built up). I was reminded why I liked this formula - super blendable and easy to apply. The color is a bit warm for me but it's not so warm that it definitely wouldn't work. I like it enough to keep it in my stash but I can't say whether it will stick around through the end of the year.

🤔 SEPHORA COLLECTION Beauty Amplifier Clear Universal Waterproof Lip Liner 0.04 oz/ 1.2 gis ... okay. It does help keep lipstick from bleeding or running. This one I'm going to have to work with more to see wether it stays or goes.  

There we have, week 9 in review. Can't believe were nearly through week 9! Excited to hear how this week's capsule worked for everyone!

March themes have been uploaded to the original post (OP)

This is the least “capsule”-y capsule for me, but I went through my entire collection in search of products I totally forgot I owned. I figured those would be great contenders for the chopping block, seeing as I haven’t touched them/thought about them in who knows how long! I was able to pull together a product for each category (and way too many for lips). Forgot to add that I had a teeny sample of the GUERLAIN Lingerie De Peau Natural Foundation SPF 20 that I’ll use if the opportunity to wear foundation comes up.

in line with the theme of things I forgot I had, my fragrance of the week is PHLUR Missing Person Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 😂

IMG_7965.jpeg

IMG_7966.jpeg

Spoiler
face - Kylie Cosmetics Blush (I use this to set my undereyes because the shade is not at all a blush for me), The Ordinary Photographic Primer, bareMinerals Mineral Veil Talc Free Setting Powder Mineral Veil , Jaclyn Cosmetics Luminous Loose Powder Blush - Lover Boy, Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Killawatt Foil Freestyle Highlighter - 7daywknd/poolside, Smashbox x Vlada Petal Metal Highlight - Rosemantic (used as a blush), Jouer Cosmetics Powder Highlighter Citrine Lise Watier Portfolio Professional Correctors , REFY Gloss Highlighter Topaz 

Eyes - Huda Beauty Mercury Retrograde Palette, KVD Beauty Dazzle Vegan Long-Wear Eyeshadow Stick, Flower Beauty eyeliner- Emerald, Bobbi Brown eyeliner pot, Revolution Transparent Soap Brow

lips - Bite Beauty Liner 030, MAC Cosmetics Lip Pencil Whirl , Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Liner Mocha , NYX Lipliner in Cappucino, Revolution x Soph X lipliner, Bite Beauty Crayon in Whisky, Bite Beauty Shimmer Crayon in Papaya, Jean Luc Cosmetics liquid lip in Tease Me, IT Cosmetics Pillow Lips Collagen-Infused Lipstick , NYX XXL Lingerie liquid lipstick in Candela Babe, Physicians Formula Diamond Plumper Gloss, Urban Decay Vice Lip Chemistry Lip Stain - Wired Collection Gravity (not this shade), NARS Afterglow Lip Shine Gloss Aragon , NARS Orgasm Oil-Infused Lip Tint Orgasm (Risky Business shade)

It'll be exciting too see the outcomes for everything you've put together here @cianni I can't wait to hear what makes the cut. 😄

Soo I have been away on a work trip, and I didn't feel like I could participate with everything capsule related lately because... I brought much more than a capsule with me. 😅

But I did pack mostly favorites and my regular go to's.

So I'm entering my "Going Away Capsule" which is just my favorites from my collection and they have made thier appreances in my capsules this year.

1000014314.jpg

1000014315.jpg

Not Pictured:

A large bag of my foils. I bring them when I travel to give to colleagues they maybe left something they needed at home. You know I have it in a foil most likely. 

My hair care. Which was already laid out around the bath tub. I just didn't think to photograph it.

I feel like everything here I've mentioned before,

I went list everything but I'm sure you spy some familiar items. 😉

You definitely selected the best of the best here @ather 👌💕I feel like I've seen a lot of these make thier appearances on the monthly favorites thread. 😊

Wonderful choices for your capsule of February faves!

@CynthieLu  Thank you!!! 😊 that makes me feel like I’m trendy! Which I never feel. I like it!!! 

You're in tune with what's good @ather 😉🎉 

@ather these are some amazing faves! Happy to see you had such a nice rotation of go to products this month 😀

@cianni  Thanks!!! 😊 I’ve been having so much trouble with allergies that I stick with what works for me! 

@ather Lovely picks. I see a few items from one of the Sephora Favorites sets. I am glad they made them to your monthly favourites. Do you find the Saie blush long lasting?

@ather, your best of capsule for the month is so well curated. 😍 I spy a lot of fabulous products I enjoy using too - Merit Bounce is a beautiful highlight. 💗 I hadn’t realized caliray did a tubing mascara. 

Week 9 The February 2024 "Best Of" and/or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule

9 - February On The Chopping Block.jpg

A slight change of plans. I was going to put together a capsule with a mix of best of products and those I’m on the fence about, but as I was sorting through my stash, I realized I could do a whole face with just products I’m not sure whether to keep or let go. So, here we have it, this month’s bundle of products on the chopping block. Literally. 😝 Thank you @cianni for this great theme!

Spoiler

🌼PRIMER - The two e.l.f. primers (matte and luminous) were part of a trio set. I’m not sure these matte or luminous versions do anything that the third primer, the original, doesn’t already do (except the luminous formula is slightly more glowy than the original). The Smashbox color correcting primer has been sitting in my desk drawer at work, unused and unloved. Let’s see if my neglect of it is misplaced. 

🌸FOUNDATION  

🌻CONCEALER - I’m thinking this Revlon 5-in-1 concealer might not make it to the end of the week - I don’t  remember ever buying it, let alone opening it to use. I should probably be worried? 😬 

🌺CHEEKS - 

🪻 EYE PRIMER

• The Sephora Collection Eye Shadow Primer (has this been discontinued?) has some stiff competition to meet or beat if it wants to keeps a spot in the stash.

🌹EYESHADOW 

💐EYELINERS

• Kaja Wink Stamp Original Waterproof Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen Original - Ink Black - going to give it an other try. I don’t have an eyeliner on the chopping block so I’ll pair it with different liners from my stash to see how it works out

• Makeup by Mario put out these liners for the waterline, but I'm not seeing them online. I like these types of products but don’t reach for them as often as I should. 

💮MASCARA

🪷 LIPS

🌷SETTING SPRAY

• MAC Fix+ Stay Over Alcohol Free 16H Setting Spray - it’s an alcohol free formula which intrigues me. Let’s see how it performs.

• Iconic London Prep-Set-Glow Hydrating Glowy Setting Spray Original - I’m all for a glow (and it sets?) but always forget I have this one which was part of a Sephora Favorites Set, so we shall see how this fares.

Okay, here we go! 

Well lovelies, here's my capsule for this week. I'm curious to know what capules you've curated. 

Best of luck with your Cleaning house Capsule @itsfi 🧹😊

It's funny how much we change, right? Old products we used to swear by get replaced by something even better. I'll be interested to hear the fate of It Cosmetics foundation 😉

@itsfi im so excited to see how this weeks theme plays out for you! That universal lip liner has always intrigued me, although im never quite sold on how it would work… super invested in your thoughts on all these products!

@cianni, I’m with you on the liner. I picked it up because I wanted to see how it would work. Then didn’t use it much, but I will this week. Will keep you posted. 

@itsfi Wow! You have come up with a full chopping block capsule. The song is popping in my head with the lyrics "Should I stay or should I go now"...I am sure you can create some beautiful looks with everything. I will be super curious to hear your thoughts on the IT Cosmetics. I have a full unopened bottle waiting to be used. 

@Mellmars1185, I think it speaks to the size of my stash that I have so many products on the fence that are still there - and probably says a thing or two about how I hold onto things. 😔 Quality over quantity. That's my aim for this whole challenge. Going to figure out what works best for me under different scenarios and try to create a collection consisting of those items and a few others that I enjoy (or that I may have sentimental reasons for keeping). 

I will keep you posted on the IT Cosmetics CC cream. It was the GOAT product years, decades ago. it says it's full coverage and I can see how back then I probably would have been a-okay with a full coverage foundation, but at the same time, I feel like I might have sheered it out just a teensy bit. I'm interested to see if I still like it, at all or as much. 

@itsfi  Wow! I like how this took a turn! Such a great idea to have a chopping block! I can’t wait to see what makes or breaks this list!!! 

Thanks so much @ather! I’m super curious to find out what the findings from this capsule will be. I hadn’t expected to have this many items I was that undecided about (or that I had a hard time letting go of). 

At first I was disappointed with myself for having enough for a full face and then I thought, “well, it’s as good a time as any to chip away at what’s worth keeping and what needs to go.” It’ll be like a jump start on spring cleaning. 😉

Also, putting together the “ultimate” makeup capsule is about what we move out of our collection (and why) as well as what we keep. So there will be some lessons learned along the way that will hopefully mean better decisions in the long run about what I purchase. 

870 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos154
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1