Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Let's Talk About NARS!

A lot of the other big beauty brands have their own threads now, so I thought, why not NARS? Let's share news about new collections, feedback on products, etc here.

The audacious thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Show-Me-Your-Audacious-Collection/m-p/1695820#M10941

SPRING 2019:

Spoiler

5B03C763-5B66-43D5-B5CD-CAD2FFB20D6A.png4B8872CB-9B16-4C47-A6A8-A5A5EB2C60B9.png0343224C-CB77-46EC-86C7-1E6ECEF0E4E2.pngD1989960-1CCB-41F1-8BC9-A04A37EEA659.png75A2963F-9578-4410-B0E9-5F9A2E8C0EC2.png2D212BE6-6675-4764-A909-009E6B40173B.pngB41A18B5-0E0F-4B2F-930C-6AD6D4324D72.png

APRIL 2019: NARS x CONNOR TINGLEY

Spoiler

Have you picked up anything from the collection so far? Do tell!

Re: Let's Talk About NARS!

Yeah, Quiver has a pretty significant pink undertone to it.

Hmmm.... well, I like both brands of blushes, but but but I like NARS a little more (and not just because I am a NARS fan, because I am also a massive UD fan)

The UD blushes come in a few colors that don't have analogs in the current NARS collection, which I like.  However, while both are fairly easy to work with, I find NARS slightly easier.  UD blushes (of the 6 I have) have a tendency to kick up a bit of powder, which I don't like because;  

1) it wastes product and

2) it makes it easier to overapply and then means I have to spend extra time buffing it out if I don't realize there's extra product on my brush until it's too late.

They both buff easily though, so if there's a color in one line you like that isn't in the other, it can be worthwhile to get it.

ETA: PS I did not try to suggest a nude NARS blush for you because nude is so relative based on skintone, LOL.  However, I did post a few swatches below of some 'nude-ish' blushes for Melissa that might help 😉

Looking at your picture, I think custard may work for you. I would definitely give it a shot. In regards to creasing, I just bought the RCC because it's the only concealer that doesn't seem to crease on me. I thought it would because some people complain of that, but I got a sample of vanilla and it didn't crease at all. I'm thinking the fact that it was a sample helped me apply less product, which helped it not crease. I've been using the full size and still no creasing. I pat it on with my finger and then blend with a beauty blender. 

I can't give much advice on the blushes, but I do like NARS madly for a nude blush. It works with any look. However, I've heard a lot of good things about UD video and considering the Ulta promo coming up, I can see choosing that one! Quiver is also on my radar 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Oh and audacious is deep hole of lippie love. You can't have just one! depending on your skin tone and lip pigment an every day shade can range. On me Bridgette is perfect, hands down favorite. Many love Anita and so do I but she is a bit deep on me for everyday wear. 

Anonymous Insider

The rcc hasn't reached holy grail for me. I use vanilla and custard and the best technique for it I have found is warming it on the back of my hand then applying it with a bb. Too much manipulation it's starts to cake on me and look awful. Tarte concealer and bye bye under eye are my winter months concealers. I feel like I have tried them all a million different ways. 

For blushes for a bright lip I like sex appeal and deep throat. I like my lip to stand out and these perfectly accentuate just enough on my skin tone. For reference I wear shades ranging from Fiji To Ceylan.

I'm probably similar in colour with you. I have played with Ceylan, and it blended in nicely on my hand, just a bit yellow, so I was thinking Fiji since it had more peach in it. Do you mind me asking for you color IQ if you know it? I had mine done recently for the first time and it seemed off.

I find Brigitte too bright of a pink for my liking. My lips are really pigmented, so light colours tend to cake up on my lips even if there's no dry patches. KVD Lolita in Studded Kiss is probably the best MLBB I have. It's pretty accurate to my lip colour, but more opaque and a tiny bit warmer.

I agree completely with RCC, if you play with it too much it gets worse. I like how it covers blemishes, but I cannot use a BB with it. I use Sephora Pro #57 to apply and a BB to blend, but I can't use only a BB. I have better concealers, so once I finish up my tube I will not be repurchasing.

I really love the RCC, but during the summer it can crease on me occasionally.  If it's terribly warm outside, I will set it with loose powder after applying and that usually keeps it from creasing on me.  As to the color... I'm not really sure, perhaps someone else will chime in.

What types of colors do you like to wear in blush?  I can recommend some if you provide that input.

And as for the Audacious lipsticks... well, I have a thread just for them 😄  Anita is a good everyday color, but so is Anna or Brigitte.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Show-Me-Your-Audacious-Collection/m-p/1695820#M10941

I'll have to play around with RCC some more, I was mostly using it in the winter since that's when I got it and I have dry skin. Not a good idea, but I'll try it out some more. I like it for concealing blemishes, it's just not forgiving on my more dry areas. I'm really tempted to get the UD Naked concealer if it would be in stock.

I like all colours of blush, but I'm open to wearing majority of shades. I would probably try to avoid the brightest of blushes. I've been looking for a blush/contour/bronzer colour, and I had some in mind from Nars. One was the recently discontinued Douceur, so now I have my eye on Luster, Madly, and Lovejoy. I don't want it to come across as pink, since I have Tarte's Exposed. A nice berry shade would be amazing for fall and winter, since I prefer berry lips in the cooler months. My only berry blush is Milani's Berry Amore, so I would like a deeper and cooler berry like Sin maybe? Or Seduction?

Thanks for the help, Mocha!

Anytime 😉

I will second the recommendation above; I also pat my concealer in with the micro beauty blender and that seems to help a lot.  

I love douceur and was sad when it got discontinued.  If you are looking for something along those lines, the NARS contour blush duo in the shade Paloma is a possible substitute.  

Luster, madly and lovejoy; none of those will read pink, definitely.  Lovejoy is almost an orangey peach, but a wearable one.  I own all the colors you are referring to, and would be happy to swatch them for you if you'd like.

for a berry tone, seduction is quite lovely.  So is sin, but on some skin tones it can read a little metallic.  

I get the impression you are a fair bit lighter than me.  Do you know your color IQ?

one other blush I recommend would be exhibit a.  Before you let that scare you, let me explain.  It does look terrifying in the pan.  However, you only need a tiny bit, and once you apply it lightly and buff it in, it leaves a gorgeous in from a cold day flush to the cheeks.

I did get my colour IQ done and it was 5Y06, but I think it's a bit off since I looked at the recommendations and they were a tad dark. I only have 1 HG foundation, and it's Covergirl's 3-in-1 foundation in Buff Beige. The closest matches to it are Too Faced BTW in Vanilla or Nude, I'm still working out which one is best from my samples. Vanilla = 4Y03 and Nude = 2Y04. I'm most likely in between there.

Based on your profile picture, you are quite darker than me. But swatches would be great, thank you. Exhibit A is so appealing, I love winter so I would do anything to mimic it. Exhibit A would probably be a blush for when I'm older and have more experience with bright blushes. I'll keep it mind for my future collection that I fear will definitely grow.

Here are a few swatches 🙂

The pan in the top left is Paloma Contour (depotted) and the compact to the right is Douceur.  In my swatch I added a line of eyeliner so you could tell where Douceur is on me, since it barely shows up.  Based on your skintone foundation matches, I would probably suggest the Olympia contour duo, since you are much lighter than I am.

im081254age.jpg

This is Madly, Luster and Lovejoy

0812155image.jpg

This is Sin, Seduction and Exhibit A

i0812152mage.jpg

This is Sex Appeal and Tribulation

i0812153mage.jpg

Thank you, Mocha! Based on your swatches, I really like how Douceur looks, so I'll try one of the contour blush duos, as well as Madly, Seduction, and Exhibit A 🙂

The Audacious lipsticks are wonderful! Anita is a great MLBB mauve/rose. I also love Jane, which is warmer than Anita without being actually orangey somehow; its official "terracotta rose" description is pretty accurate.

Jane sounds perfect, and the swatches from Google are making me happy. My favourite peachy nude colour is Bite's LE Gavi (bottom swatch) from the 2014 holiday season. Would Jane be similar? I feel Jane leans more orange, and I'm afraid of orange lips since they're a bit too bold for me.

upload_1280006776126465916.jpg

(This is not my picture! Credit to MurdockTalks)

Yeah, Jane looks like it would be similar to that Gavi swatch. It's not really "orange," it's too muted for that; it's more like a medium peach, I would say. Here's a swatch of it on my lips:

IMG_0561.JPG

Also, Anita is what I'm wearing in my avatar picture, if you can see it at all.

Thank you for the lip swatch! I would say on you Jane looks a bit darker, but you look lighter than me so it might be alright on my skin tone. I'll add Jane to the list of Audacious lippies I need to swatch. Waiting for the 20% off in November :D. I have 5 on my list now...

Jane is wayyyy darker on me, and a lot more Terra cotta/red. I love that it looks different on everyone but is always a winner!

Haven't had much experience with NARS, just the trio kit perk. But the first purchase of NARS I want it to be Audacious Greta. 

I've been getting into Nars more and more the past couple of years. It started with the lip pencils two years ago and it keeps growing. The powder blushes didn't work for me a few of years ago for some reason they always broke me out in rashes. I've been using a mini blush for almost a year with no adverse reaction so I've put some  blushes on my wish list: Sex Appeal, Mata Hari, and keeping back and forth between Gilda/Gina. I really like the look the look of Tribulation too. Does anyone know how it compares to Sex Appeal? The latter seems to be more peach? I've been stalking the holiday thread, does anyone know if they are going to do one of those large blush palettes? Ohh and what are your thoughts on the liquid illuminators? So many questions, haha. 

I have sex appeal, I can swatch compare it for you in the morning.  Tribulation is much more golden though.

i like the liquid illuminators; hot sand is my favorite but for highlighting products from NARS I prefer the multiples because I am a combo/oily girl 🙂

That would be great. Thank you! I'm combo too, I figured the liquid illuminators would be easier to blend. I looked at the multiples and I like the look of them. Are they easy to blend out? I don't like a super obvious highlight streak. The only stick type of highlighter I have is the mini Benefit Watts Up and that is a pain to blend out. 

i0811153mage.jpg

Posted elsewhere already, but here's a swatch comparing VIP Red to NARS Leslie (left) and NARS Sandra (right)

4 Replies
testing