Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule 

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.21.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with (a) your standout or favorite products this month; (b) products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; (c) products that repeatedly find their way inito your makeup looks; or (d) all of the above. OR, treat the "On Repeat" theme as an opportunity for a "Do Over" or "Take 2" of a previous makeup capsule, from earlier in the month or any of the themes to date.

Week 23 (June 3 - 9) - The Equal Love Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
Let's curate a capsule of one or more products from LGBTQ+ founded/owned makeup brands to honor Pride Month. Check out the spoiler below ⬇️ for a non-exhaustive list of LGBTQ+ founded/owned beauty brands focused primarily on makeup / color cosmetics.

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multitasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous @missjeanie  for the repurposed theme. 

Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

LGBTQ+ Founded/Owned Makeup Brands:
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of LGBTQIA+ founded/owned beauty brands that primarily include makeup / lor cosmetics in their collection.  An asterisk (*) next to a brand name denotes that the brand is available at Sephora.

about face (Halsey)
Flower Beauty (Drew Barrymore)
Formula Z Cosmetics (Zach Dishinger)
* Freck Beauty (Nasera Alayon)
Jason Wu Beauty
Jecca Blac
Kevyn Aucoin Beauty
KimChi Chic Beauty
* Makeup by Mario
* One/Size by Patrick Starrr
* Patrick Ta Beauty
Tanais
* Tom Ford Beauty
Trixie Cosmetics
W3ll People

Completed Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.22.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@ather, I had a fave at one point and they discontinued it. It was a while ago as I can’t seem to recall the brand, which is odd. Right now, I do like Glossier Boy Brow Volumizing Eyebrow Gel-Pomade and TOM FORD Fiber Brow Gel. My collection of brow products is probably the most minimalist part of my makeup collection. At the moment, I have more open (and frankly, more in the queue) than I normally do - 

Glossier, Merit & Patrick Ta.

My brow collection usually consists of one open brow gel product and the Chanel brow pencil (my OG brow product!) Sometimes, I’ll have an unopen brow gel/pomade on deck, waiting for whatever open brow gel is in use to be finished up. I’ll work through what I have on hand but that’s the model I’m working towards, for brow products at least. Have to think through what the other categories will look like. Some definitely will not have a minimalist look or feel to them. 😆 

@itsfi  Oooo I inspire to be more like you!! I haven’t tried either of those. Once I’m down to one I will definitely try one. Do you recommend one over the other? 

@ather, oh my goodness, that's high praise and very kind of you to say; thank you. And it's only brow products that I'm good at keeping contained in my collection. If we were to look into foundation or lip products, oh dear, that would be something. I went to the store last night to pick up some fabric bins - as I'm unpacking, I'm going to put all but my GOATs and products I consider loves or Top Shelf (which should be a small enough mix that I can fit them in a makeup bag) into the bin, with the already open products separated from the unopen ones. And then I'm going to think about how to incorporate them into future makeup capsules to determine what can stay and what needs to go. I'm pretty sure there will be some categories that I'll hit 'pause' on, mainly because I know I'll just have an extra hard time passnig on them or passing them along (read: lip products and probably foundation).

Hmmm... of the two, the Glossier has a tinier spoolie. I'd actually say go with the Glossier first when you finish up your current brow gel/pomade. The Tom Ford, I'd recommend picking up during the fall sale - it'll make it easier on the wallet and you'll know how it compares with the Glossier. There's usually a holiday sale at the end of the year, so you can pick up the Glossier then if you find you like it more than the TF. The Tom Ford is a reformulation and it's good, but the older version is better, I think. The Glossier is a solid performer, and the smaller spoolie is ideal for me. 

@itsfi  Oooo I like this bin idea! Genius! I may need to steal this idea! A bin for things I’m trying to use up would be great for me so I can see my progress! Plus an empty bin would be so satisfying!!! 

Noted! Once I’ve used up my 5 brow gel products I will try the Glossier one! I may start with my almost gone brow gel and work my way through them that way! I might be ready by the time the fall sale hits 😝

Right @ather?! Between this and the pan it! challenge, it’s becoming easier to let go of some products. Some. Still a work in progress. 

Hoping the bin approach will keep things moving and being used. I’m also hoping that seeing how much stuff I have will nudge me to make decisions more quickly about what needs to be passed onto someone else or just passed on. I’m not aiming for true minimalism, because I feel more comfortable, more me, with a few choices in each makeup category (and for some, more than a few). Not to say that might not happen with one or two makeup categories. I’d love to hear how the bin approach works for you. That would definitely be satisfying to see an empty bin. 

@itsfi 😲

Yeah, not my favorite experience, @missjeanie. She could have been having a bad day. 

@itsfi Ahhhh I was curious how it was going with the Laura Mercier powder!  Bummer it isn't what it once was for you, but good to know!  I haven't cracked into the SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Mascara Ultra Black but I'll be watching out for transfer.  Fingers crossed the waterproof version is a better fit.  

Well, let me just say @missjeanie that I pulled out the SC waterproof mascara this morning and managed to nearly gouge my eye with the wand in my haste. 🙄 I tell ya, my clumsiness is a special talent! Good reminder though -  hold, please, while I run to the mirror to check on my eye makeup .... 

Aaaaand, we're back - we're almost through hour 13 so the claims of 12-hour lift are good, thought it's not as lifted as earlier this morning; that makes sense. Some slight transfer but that could have been due to my having rubbed my eyes earlier - we'll keep a better eye on that another day. It wasn't as noticeable or as much as the regular version. 

Nice job - glad the concealer tip is working out! @itsfi  

Thank you @sister13! I have a handful of these nude eyeliner pencils, some which are not the best shade for my waterline so it's nice to have this super helpful and effective alternate way to use them. 

Week 15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule  

I'm going to try a new approach with my weekly capsules, at least for the next couple of months, unless that flies in the face of the week's theme, in which case, I'll go with the prompt.

I'll still use the weekly theme(s) as guidance or inspiration for curating products, but I am going to have a slightly larger capsule from which I will create a few different looks during the week, if and as necessary - an every day look, a more minimalist, quicky & easy look, and/or a full face or special occasions look.

Full Face Edition (with options)I'll likely put a look with most of these items once or twice this week. Product details in spoiler. Products with an asterisk (*) beside its name means it's a new-to-me / this is the first time I'm using the product. 

15 - Makeup Artist Created Brands 1 - Full Face.jpg

Spoiler
Complexion:
Bobbi Brown Mini Vitamin Enriched Face Base Primer Moisturizer 0.50 oz/ 15 mL (GOAT 🐐) - my skin has been all sorts of dry, with flakes and patches so this will serve as a makeup primer and an extra layer of moisture

MAKEUP BY MARIO SurrealSkin™ Liquid Foundation - I've had this in my stash for a while but have not gotten around to using it ... until this week. 

Makeup by Mario Brightening Eye Pencil (discontinued?) - going to take a page from @sister13's brilliant playbook and use this for some spot concealing as well as for lining my waterline - I'll disinfect the product between the uses. 

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder  - the OG. I do keep this around more for nostalgic reasons as I prefer the CT as a setting powder. Maybe it's time to let it go? We'll see. 

Cheeks:
Pat McGrath Labs Divine Blush + Bronze + Glow Trio: Fleurever Nude - this trio is very convenient for doing a full face or an every day look. 

Eyes:
NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Original (🐐) - if I'm remembering right, this was my first eyeshadow primer and it's still a go to for me after all these years, decades.

Natasha Denona Biba All Neutral Eyeshadow Palette Full Size Biba Neutral Eyeshadow Palette - it's actually in the Sephora container above the Makeup by Mario foundation. I took some of the shades prairie, shine, coco and rust and mixed them together. The plan is to pick up the medley of loose shadows on my brush, spritz it lightly with water  & then apply to my lids. Trying to find ways to get more use out of a couple of those shades, especially prairie. 

Makeup by Mario Brightening Eye Pencil (discontinued?) - this really does open up my eyes and gives me a more awake look when used on my waterline. 

Lips

* Anna Sui The Lip Coat 

Tools & Bag
 15 - Makeup Artist Created Brands 4 Tools.jpg
My tools and bag for the week are in keeping with the makeup-artist created brands theme. 

* I'll apply my makeup this week with a beautyblender and brushes from the Sephora Collection, Wayne Goss and Kevyn Aucoin 
* Surratt Relevee eye lash curler 
* Bag is from Sonia Kashuk - it's quite roomy 🙂 

Most Days / Every Day EditionThis group will account for about 3 or 4 days during the work week.

15 - Makeup Artist Created Brands 2 Work Week.jpg

The Quick & Easy EditionMost likely my weekend wear, and possibly what I'll using during a work day when I'm pressed for time in the morning. @ather @danielledanielle 

15 - Makeup Artist Created Brands 3 - Weekend.jpg

@itsfi  I really appreciate the larger capsule to allow for different types of days! How do you like the WA complexion tint? I’ve been looking at it to try! Is it worth a try? 

@ather, I think I feel most comfortable somewhere in between the quick & easy edit and the everyday look most of the time, but I like the options the full face capsule edition gives me for the week. 

The Westman Atelier Vital Skincare Complexion Drops Dewy Skin Tint Atelier III definitely gives you dewy skin. It is good for those with dry or very dry skin. It’s best suited for me in the late fall and winter months. It can get too glowy for my preference but that can be tempered with blotting or using a setting powder where I’m oily. 

I like to use it as a primer on the driest parts of my face or dab a little on my cheeks to use as a highlighter. Or, if I’m finding a foundation is a smidge more matte than I prefer, I’ll mix the foundation with a drop of the WA tint and then apply to my skin.  

@itsfi I like this idea.  It'll give you a chance to change things up through the week but also pare down when warranted.  I was never a huge fan of the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder , I'll be watching to see how you like it compared to the CT now that you've got it as a favourite.

@missjeanie, thank you. I’m thinking this approach could work out really well for me - it gives me both structure and flexibility, with options. If I do it right, I shouldn’t feel like I’m missing anything but at the same time, I won’t feel overwhelmed with having to choose which products to use. 

Yeah, the LM. I was pleased to see it in a mini version, but it haven’t gotten much use. We shall see. It may survive this week but I’m not so sure it’ll hold up through the end of the year. Do you have a setting powder you reach for often?

@itsfi I'm currently loving the Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Setting and Finishing Powder 3 Voile Rosé .  I have a mini and a full size and it's work every week to pick out a different one for my capsules (I have some I want to work through just to have one less thing stashed away).  That said... I did order the Kosas, am waiting on the YSL to go live here and I still have the Huda in pink at the ready in case my dinner drinks tonight give me the urge to purchase lol.  Long time love though would be the MUFE both loose and pressed powders.  The last formula change I stocked up.  Maybe a little too much. 

lol, @missjeanie, I just “stocked up” on the SC caffeine eye masks so I am in no place pass judgment on anyone stocking up on a loved product. 

Oh, I do love the Givenchy Voile Rose. 😍 I have the mini and hoard it. Whoops. And I have the YSL pressed powder on its way or it may already be here? 🤔 I have a couple of boxes to open. I’m planning on going through my setting powders in summer and fall - must whittle down this stash. 

@itsfi .... I may also have fear purchased 20 of the SC Caffeine eye masks.... sympathy fear??  lol. I was fingers crossed the YSL powder would come into stock at Sephora for the sale... I think I can now give up on that.  It did however keep me from going off the deep end this sale.  I mean... sorta? Still a few hours left. 

lol @missjeanie. I sometimes tell myself that I'm just helping them clear out their inventory, so they can bring in the newness. 🤣 

Oh, do you think you'll make another haul tonight? I'm intrigued. I had 5 items in my cart last night and managed to remove all of them before hitting "place order". Granted, I have just a skosh more than 4 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds to place an order ... ummm, if someone were keeping track, that is. Hahaha! 

@itsfi There will 100% be a last minute laying in bed order tonight! lol

Conversation Stats
Photos317
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png