Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Well at least smashbox is always pretty good @jemly and as for the coffee poo brown...I have yet to find one that likes me lol. 

Will someone please tell me what is the deal with this "polish mountain" nonsense that is popping up on IG and Youtube????

I hate looking at them! It freaks me out

Started by a nail youtuber SimplyNailogical. She did it for fun, and other channels did their own. It's just how much nail polish you can layer before it turns into a goopy mess.

Omg a few days ago Jenna marbles did a 100 coats of everything video and I just...

It grosses me out when they peel off the whole thing after they're done and move it around. It's gross. And that's so bad for your nails!

Anonymous Insider

What a waste of time.

Agree 100%.

The world has gone mad. That's the deal.

Random question for you all - what brand was the first non-drugstore makeup brand that you bought from? 

I just stumbled across my mineral veil from bareMinerals and remembered how BIG that brand was for me and my girlfriends in middle school. I also remember my mom getting Clinique cosmetics and skin care from my dad as special gifts, so naturally they were my first skin care go-to brand. 

Lancome. My grandma always gave me her GWPs, so I never had to buy mascara because there was always a mini tube. But one day I ran out and didn't have a sample size, so I bought it myself. I was *shocked* that it cost $25 or whatever it cost back then.

I know I am going to sound like a broken record since I've mentioned this in a couple of different threads throughout the years...but my first love was Too Faced! My mom took me to a department store and I was only allowed to wear lipgloss/very lightly tinted chapstick at the time. 

Too Faced had their lip products in a square container with eyes on it. I wish I still had it!! But that was my first intro into a "non-old person" brand that I picked out myself. 

I still rep TF hard these days as much as possible 😄

Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Distortion. Back before I got so sensitive to products (2008), I wore tons of makeup. Bright colors and glitter eyeliner was my jam. My best friend at the time had a couple of the Urban Decay liners, too. I never left the house without makeup back then.

I'm pretty sure it was bareMinerals.  I remember my first trip to Sephora and I know I purchased a tarte bronzer as well.  I can't remember the other items.

I remember buying a dark purple LORAC single eyeshadow from Sephora when Sephora carried LORAC and a NARS lipgloss. I can't remember what the lipgloss was called, but it was red and super glittery. 

I think I probably purchased lancome or Clinique. It was most likely when I was 16/17. When I had money from a part time job I would buy when they had gwp. I bought the dual finish powder often, most likely definicils, not sure what I got from Clinique though? Eyeshadows? 

Lancome at age 17. Took a 15 year break from makeup but resumed with Lancome. It's still my favorite.

Lancome was the second counter I purchased from. I just cannot remember the name of the lipstick I bought, though that was over 20 years ago.....lol!

I do not remember the first thing I bought either, but I believe it was foundation or it may have been the Dual Finish Powder.

The first thing I ever bought myself from the department store makeup counter (in the early 90's) was Clinique black honey almost lipstick.

The secret about BT being a positive environment is out. I got a PM from a writer (pinning a piece for Racked) named Alana asking for details on why I think it is such a great place. Did anyone else get this PM? I'd love to see your response (here or when the article comes out).

My response:

I initially visited Beautytalk in July 2013. I did what many new users do, post once and leave. I noticed there were some neat threads, so I popped in a few more times (without posting) over the next 8 months. It seemed most people were nice and helpful, so I became "active" in March 2014. Most members of the community are very welcoming to new members, and I was drawn in by those who were. I try to welcome new people when they arrive to BT, so they get drawn in the way I was. BT is a positive environment, which makes it a great place to hang out. I prefer to build people up and do not like to see when people are torn down. Social Media can be very negative, but BT is an escape from that. Many of the community members have the same mentality. If you have swatch requests or need help with a specific problem, someone will usually help with open arms. The main benefit is getting help for those seeking assistance and being helpful for those offering it. Friendship is the secondary benefit, because I've made great friends here. Having a friend who understands your passion gives you someone to talk about similar interests with.

Over my nearly 2.5 years since becoming active, I've encountered mostly positive people. I believe BT started positive and remains that way, because new users quickly catch onto the culture. Negativity is not the BT way, and users who post negative things do not typically receive positive reinforcement. The original BTers laid the groundwork for the way it is now, and those of us who came after try to follow their example. Sadly, many of the original BTers no longer post, but their legacy of friendliness lives on.

6,152 Replies
testing