Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I've been cutting my own hair for years. I recently gave myself a cute graduated bob that's super short in back. I have very curly hair, though, so it's quite forgiving. The trick is to use mirrors to keep checking how even it is, and to only cut a little at a time.  It's also helpful to invest in an electric trimmer if you want to do some layering. 

Update:  So today I tried a wet cut and just took about an inch off the bottom. My first lesson is that drying my hair and straightening it first is the way to go. Doing this wet was just too difficult especially with it being so long. My mother is supposed to help me color this weekend, so I will revisit this in a few days. I feel confident that with more practice and trial and error I can get a groove with it....we'll see.

Thank you all for the support and input!

With apologies to any hairstylists on this site, I think you probably could do this yourself. I'm sure there are YouTube tutorials to guide you and, you're right, at worst you do a bad job and pay someone to fix it. The good thing is you have lots of length on your side so you have some wiggle room. 

I have been cutting my own hair for about 3 years now...It is a little ironic, because I am getting a haircut at a salon tomorrow Smiley Tongue  I never did a terrible job, but I think having curly hair helps hiding small mistakes.

If you just want to trim the ends to keep the length (like I do), I'd say go for it. I would not do anything drastic with it. I agree with the strategy JazaChai suggested below. Bring your hair to the front in pieces and consantly compare both sides as you go. I also flip my hair to the front and measure/trim the ends at the end. 

If your hair is long enough that you can bring it front of your face to look at it, and you're comfortable with doing it and the possibility of sub-optimal results, I say go for it. I trim my bangs every haircut (I'm too lazy to go back in for a maintenance trim even though it'd be free), and it's not hard at all, so if all you're doing is trimming length, that's hard to screw up.

I also have a friend who has never had anyone but her mom or herself cut her hair, and it looks fine. You would never think she cuts it herself unless she told you. She has experience doing it at this point, of course, but the key parts are 1) it's long enough she can bring it over her shoulder to look at it, and 2) she's not trying to do anything fancy like layers, she just trims it.

I will say, this is complicated by the fact that you have curly hair, but if you've seen how your hairdresser does it you can just try to imitate that. That's how I learned how to trim my bangs the way I like.

I gave myself bangs when I was 19, and I think I did a good job. I probably wouldn't attempt to cut it if it wasn't so long. I can almost sit on it. I just want to take off a little off the bottom evenly without any layering or anything. I was going to try a wet cut and see how things go. My hair dresser would normally have me stand up and cut straight across then bring it around to the front over my shoulders to check both sides were the same. I think maybe with some practice I would get a feel for what works. I was thinking if I comb it out wet and straight, then I could put my arms behind my back and put my fingers across where I want to cut then just bring it underneath my armpit to snip.

If you are not doing anything fancy  to your hair other than cutting it, why can't your mother or husband or even a trusted friend help you? As long as you don't get mad at anyone if your hair is a little lopsided, I say try it.

I don't really have any friends that could help. My husband has been very blunt about refusing to do it. Which is okay because I know he really isn't good at those kinds of things. (he cuts his own toenails crooked...) My mother colors my hair. I may ask for a little help from her with any evening out I may need. She scares me a little though, because she doesn't really like my hair as long as I keep it and I don't want her to get all scissor happy on me.

H&M Beauty is sooo gorgeous!! I got the shadow in "Avalon" and the blush in "Golden Peach." Sooooo pretty!!! 

Yes!  Someone got me an eyeshadow in "Chin Chin" for christmas, and I was very impressed by the quality!  I wish the packaging wasn't such cheap plastic, but it is pretty to look at. Smiley Happy

I've been curious about H&M Beauty! I wonder if the beauty line is carried in stores? Hmm, shopping trip in my near future.

The Beauty line seems to only be available in certain H&M stores. Definitely call ahead to see if they offer it in the store you'd visit. That would be sooo amazing!! 

Here is "Golden Peach!"

IMG_20160518_223241.jpg

How pretty, and that packaging too, I am going to find out if my store carries the beauty items 😊

It is a cheap, light-weight plastic, but it looks so polished and beautiful. Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing the photo and description, I have been really curious about their beauty line too!

My pleasure! I saw TotalMakeupJunkie101's haul of some H&M products. She's one of the few youtubers left whose opinions I trust and generally agree with.

She does think the Matte Lip Color To Go are suuuuper dry and awful, so not everything is fantastic. :/

The sparkles.....!!!

I haven't worn it yet, but I did lightly swatch it just for texture and it is sooo soft! I just got the BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blush in "Snapdragon" and that looks sparklier in pan than the H&M, so I'm really excited to use both!!

I was going to post this in the peeves thread, but I can't decide if it is a peeve or not!

Nordstrom has a bunch of Aēsop products in their new arrivals section, but the stock photos they use for the lotions all have the metal tubes crushed / crinkled up like they've been used.  On one hand, I appreciate the artistic asthetic, but on the other hand, I'm kind of irritated by the irregularity and lack of a smooth, pretty stock photo!  Smiley Wink

upload_2474393132579454483.jpgupload_788451288288296908.jpg

I dislike these ads also.  I was wondering if this is how the product arrives if you order it.  It certainly would not entice me to buy it if it does come looking like it's ready for the trash can

Visually I really like the look of the ads. But as a consumer I absolutely hate those metal tubes and having to precisely roll them as you use them or how they feel when they get all scrunched like the pic above. So my eye likes the photos quite a lot but my brain is like, "no way, nuh uh. This things are annoying."

9 Replies