Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

WEEK 30 (July 22 - 28) - The BIC Inspired Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The Pan It! Makeup Capsule - Okay, BIC Beauties, here we go - we have a new capsule theme as well as a well loved one - assemble a capsule of one or more beauties inspired or enabled by the fabulous members of our Sephora Beauty Insider Community? Or, put together a look with one or more items from your project pan. Or, meld the two prompts together for a capsule of both BIC inspired and pan it! products!

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 7.16.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
WEEK 31 (July 29 - August 4) - The New, Old, or "Is It Time For This To Go?" Makeup Capsule - Did you pick up some new (or new-to-you) beauties this month that you want to play with (or keeping playing with)? Are there one or more tried-and-true products, or sleeping beauties in your collection that you want or need to put to use? Or, are there products in your stash that need to be put up on the chopping block (such an awesome theme, @cianni)? Here's your chance to curate a capsule with one or more products from one or any combination of these categories. 

WEEK 32 (August 5 - 11) - The Take 2 / Do Over Makeup Capsule and/or The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule - Was there a makeup capsule theme you missed out on taking part in? Or, perhaps one you want to do over, either because you had a lot of fun with it or you wanted to try a different approach to it? Here's your chance. Or, is there a product or products that's been sleeping in your stash or that you haven't had a chance to get to? Grab that sleeping beauty or beauties and incorporate it in your capsule.

WEEK 33 (August 12 - 18) - The Day-to-Night (or Date Night): Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The "Outside My Comfort Zone" Makeup Capsule - Summer will be coming to an end soon. Did you have a go-to day-to-night (or Date Night) look this summer? Give us a sneak peak into that capsule. Or, are you feeling adventurous? Shop your stash for those beauties that you don't naturally gravitate towards and create a makeup capsule with one or more products that are outside your usual go-to look or comfort zone. (Sneak Peek: I'm going with the outside my comfort zone theme, with false lashes and red lips - eek! 😱)

WEEK 34 (August 19 - 25) - The Samples Makeup Capsule and/or The Newness Makeup Capsule - Have one (or 10? 😂) makeup samples you've been meaning to try out? Here's your chance! Curate a capsule with one or more sample-sized (foils, deluxe samples, promo gwp's, etc.) makeup products. If you're using foils, think about sharing your thoughts on the Foil Challenge thread. Or, did you pick up some fun new beauties that you've been wanting to play with? Put together a makeup look with one or more of the new additions to your makeup collection.

WEEK 35 (August 26 - September 1) - The August 2024 Throw Down!, Throwback, and/or Throw Out! Makeup Capsule - In a nod to @danielledanielle's always amazing alliteration acumen 😉, @cianni's brilliant idea for a chopping block capsule, @missjeanie's throwback suggestion, and @ather's inspired battle theme, here are your choices for capsule prompts for the last week of August 2024 - 
*  Throw Down! Are there a couple (or more) similar products that you want to pit against each other? Toss 'em in with your choice of makeup this week to duke it out. 🥊

Throwback - okay, this can be taken a few ways and it's all up to what you're up for this week. "Throwback" can mean (A) taking your capsule look (in whole or part) to days gone by - love the bright bold makeup of the 80s? Go for it. 90s brown lip liner your thing? Add it to your capsule. Blue eyeshadow and frosty lips from the aughts (2000s) more your speed? You do you. Or, maybe "throwback" for you means (B) going back to a previous theme from this challenge, whether all the way back to January or just last week. Here's another chance for a Take 2 / Do Over capsule.

Throw Out! - Is there a product or two or three or ... that you're on the fence about. Put 'em on the chopping block this week to see whether their performance saves them from elimination or shows them the door. 

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 7.22.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule
22 - The  May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
23 - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule
24 - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multi-tasking Makeup Capsule
25 - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule
26 - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
27 - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule and/or The Summer Vacation Makeup Capsule
28 - The "If I Were To Curate My Ultimate Makeup Capsule" Makeup Capsule (aka The "These are My Favorite Products" Makeup Capsule) 
29 - The Sticks and (Gem)Stones Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Colour: Summer Edition Makeup Capsule

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

All are invited to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. I'm excited to see what results from this experiment. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Ooooh, gloss bomb over the Ami Stick is a brilliant idea @itsfi 

@danielledanielle, I think it will make for a fun pairing! I sorta want to do it before the weekend. 🤔 Hmmm, maybe I will. 

So... I'm not a six product kinda gal... Nor am I a 5 minute or less face gal... I think I get ready pretty fast, but I'm doing a bunch stuff all at once when I'm getting ready.  That said... I was willing to try downsizing.  

I started out with everything below except the OH Colour Corrector.  After day 1... it got added in.  I think what I learned this week is that I'm not a minimal gal.  And that's okay.  My makeup day will pretty much always have a full face in it.  

433020029_2243730079301894_6724400584515797476_n.jpg

Spoiler
So I really like all of these products.  I needed to do an overhaul/clean up of my bathroom counter so it was a good time to narrow it down and get some other products back into their homes.  I realized that I was trying to pick products that I could use as more than one step.  I'd like to be someone who can feel comfortable walking out the door with just a little concealer and lipstick... but that's not me.  
I picked the Nars Sheer Glow since it's a reliable product for me.  I know that I never need to fuss with it, so I can apply quickly with a sponge and then also build it.  I wasn't intending to bring in a colour corrector at first so I was hoping this and the concealer would be enough.  
The ND concealer has been love at first application.  It's pigmented, a good viscosity, and blends so easily.  That said... this is fiscal year end.  I'm trying to do a million things all by very hard deadlines and working more than I should be to do that.  Add in hosting Easter for a group of 16 at the last minute... my dark circles needed the colour corrector.  
I chose the OH Corrector since it's in stick format and there's a new shade being released.  This shade apricot is a bit dark, but banana is a little light.  I usually mix both together but found going light with the apricot is okay too.  I think I like the formula enough that I'll be picking up the new peach shade to try.  This week was a bit of a test for that purpose. 
I chose the Kokie setting powder simply because there's not a ton of product in there.  I have a few powders that I want to pick up, so I'd like to work through a few that I have here already.  This one feels like one that I should be able to finish off soon if I keep at it.  On top of that... it's a good powder.  It doesn't deepen, and it doesn't look cakey at all.  This should be an easy one to use up.
I chose the MAC Rebel lipstick because I can use it full pigment as a lipstick, as more of a blotted stain, and I've used it successfully as a blush on many occasions in the past in a pinch.  Didn't disappoint at all this week.  
The Nars Lip Oil is one I re-discovered a few weeks ago and keep reaching for.  I'm someone who really likes to have a lip oil or gloss to pop on through the day and this one is easy.  It also fits nicely with the shade of the MAC. 
The Kosas brow gel is a quick and easy product.  I'm hoping to use up some brow pencils since I seem to have a stash from before I discovered my love of tinted gels.  They just take longer for me to use in the morning.  It was nice to jump back to this product this week... but I'll move back to my pencils to get them some use for a while again.
The Fenty mascara... is just okay.  I do have to say that this little sample has had quite a bit of product in it.  It does smudge a bit if I'm touching my eyes too much, and it just doesn't give as much volume as I prefer.  I'm good to finish this off, but won't be purchasing. 
I did try to use this as a liner one day by using an angled brush to pick up product off the bristles.  I don't think this is something I'll be doing again lol.  It's just not the formula for it, and I have better luck doing this with shadows. 
I chose the Dior palette because I know it, it's an all in one for me, and it contains a primer.  This is just such an easy to use palette for me.  This week has me wondering if I should be looking at the other cool toned version.  I mean... no, I shouldn't... but... they're just easy to use and travel well.  

This wasn't as bad as I thought, but... I'm glad to go back to a full face this week lol.  I think I'm often on auto pilot in the mornings so I'm able to use more products more efficiently than trying to use the same products in multiple ways. 

@missjeanie I appreciate your honesty on this theme. I feel the same. I think for me I enjoy taking my time to get ready in the morning. Although, this morning I forgot to change my alarm and I had 15 min total to do everything before running out the door. Do you find the Olehenriksen formula layers well under concealer better than liquid formulas? I revisited NARS Radiant Creamy Liquid Color Corrector Light and the Fenty one and I found it creased under Concealer. Any tips or tricks? I know you are a colour Corrector fan.

@Mellmars1185 I've been using the OH correctors this week and have found they work well for me with all of the different concealers I use.  I haven't tried the Nars corrector.  I do have the Fenty and I have to say, it's not a favourite.  I find the Fenty one is too thin and doesn't sink in to my skin well.  It's also possible that I'm not leaving it to sink in long enough with the amount that I'm putting on to make up for the lighter pigmentation? 

I think my all time favourite was an older Urban Decay naked one that was discontinued years ago.  Current favourite... the Kaja Cat Nap Under Eye Brightener Peach-Tone Brightener .  I'm curious to try the HUDA BEAUTY #FAUXFILTER Under Eye Color Corrector Peach this sale though.  

Do you have one you like better than others?

@missjeanie Ohh thanks for sharing. I had the Huda colour corrector in my cart, but I have 3 open right now. I do like the Nars better than the Fenty. However I do find them both thin and don't wear well on me throughout the day...even after setting with powder.. i stopped using the Olehenriksen because I found it too dark. I also wasn't trying it with Concealer over top. I think I will try it with my HUDA BEAUTY #FauxFilter Matte Buildable Coverage Waterproof Concealer Coconut Flakes 2.7 Neutral and see how it wears. By the time I am done with my current CC's, hopefully there will be another sale ☺️

@Mellmars1185 Ah.... I always wear a concealer over the correctors.  Though if I find juuuuust the right shade I can get away without it.  I find the Bobbi Brown Under Eye Corrector is one of those for me.  Do you like the Huda concealer?  I'm always curious about all the concealers!

@missjeanie I am still testing the Huda concealer. I like the formula. However, I was layering colour corrector underneath it and was noticing it creasing. I will test it out without in some different ways to get a better opinion on it. I will check out the BB

@missjeanie, I'm impressed that you gave the 6 products in 5 minutes or less a try - I know it's outside of your usual routine. Ahhhh, NARS Sheer Glow - that is such a beautiful foundation - that and their Radiant Longwear are ones I really like from the line; their tinted moisturizer too! This is the first I've heard of the brand Kokie. Which powders are on your "to try" list?

Oh, I have the new OH en route and am interested to see how it compares the banana shade. 

Love your bunny family in the background! 🐇

@itsfi I think the Kokie powder came from Ipsy?  I know I love my Givenchy and MUFE, but I've been hearing good things about the HUDA BEAUTY Easy Bake Loose Baking & Setting Powder Cupcake and I'm debating between that and the loose in either cupcake or the cherry blossom shades.  I also feel like I need to finally cave and pick up the Kosas Cloud Set Baked Setting & Smoothing Talc-Free Vegan Powder Airy , I've seen so many recommendations over the last while and since it's not a brand new product... I'm thinking it must be good.  I was contemplating the NARS Soft Matte Advanced Perfecting Powder ... but the reviews look mixed.

Any favourite bluring powders?  I'm all ears!

@missjeanie, favorite blurring powders? 🤔 I like the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder, Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Finishing Powder and Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent

My favorites 🐐 are the blurring powders from  Chantecaille and Sisley-Paris ♥️, the latter one does an amazing job of blurring when used under foundation - I know that sounds counterintuitive but it does work quite well with the right combinations. 

@itsfi I'll have to add the Sisley to my list to try.  I have the Chantecaille... I find that it makes my under eyes deeper after application.  I'll try again this summer when I've been fake tanning.  Might look a little better!  But I have a few Sisley items that I wouldn't mind testing out.  I'll have to delve down that rabbit hole some day soon. 

Oh, I'll have to try the Chantecaille again and see if I get the same results. Definitely test out those Sisley beauties @missjeanie. Just a heads up, there will be a capsule theme later in the year focused on "Using the Good Stuff" - inspired by one of your New Year's resolutions. 

@itsfi Yesssssss use the good stuff!  I cracked into a good bottle of bubbly tonight for this exact reason... use it and enjoy it!

Heh heh @missjeanie , I'm still glad you thought about it and tried.  Even I had to edit mine midweek with additions.

Funny you mention the Dior palette.  I'm waiting for the crimson one to come back in stock...

We're so not minimalists 🤣

@danielledanielle I swear I was sweating one evening trying to figure out how to get it down to six products lol!!  Nope... not a minimalist here.  lol 

Not all capsules or challenges are for everyone, I struggled with this one too @missjeanie. But you tried and that's awesome! 

@CynthieLu Yes!  I actually like a challenge that forces me to push myself a little, even if I find out that it's not for me... I tried!

@missjeanie I love that about the challenges too. It gets us out of our comfort zones and trying new things and new ideas.

Annnd even if I'm not fast, lol. I did learn alot and I enjoyed the fun of this one, like trying to beat my times. 😉

@sister13 well said! and it was really fun too try to do this one.

Lol... my times are always pushed by my snooze button!  @CynthieLu I like them too... pushing me to switch things up even just a little!

@CynthieLu and @missjeanie - I've found that I've learned something every challenge even if it doesn't end up being something I want to do or recreate again. And, most times, there's something I learned that has helped my skill in the long run.  Great job and thanks for participating in the challenge!  

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos472
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1