Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@RNGesusPls @WinglessOne @heartsmyface @gonerogue @faeriegirl 

@txcatx I agree with you guys completely.. I've also noticed that people like to jump the bandwagon of downvoting if a certain review(s) received a large number of downvotes...I felt like they're on a contest and they're competing against each other and they try hard to down vote as many and whoever downvotes the most reviews is the winner...That's the vibe I got when I saw some reviews..

@txcatx I agree it is very frustrating😡

@txcatx  Downvoting helpful reviews is one of my biggest peeves everywhere, including Sephora. Some people downvote negative (yet helpful) reviews on products they personally love, or vice versa, and that ticks me off. Down/up voting is not a popularity contest, for cryin’ out loud. 😡 

About sorting: I saw that you found the sort options (yay!), but I do wish the default sort was newest to oldest. The current default is whacky. 

A couple weeks ago, I noticed there’s now a badge for folks who received free product. That’s fantastic! Now if only we could filter those out... 

@WinglessOne 

If only there was a way to filter out all influencer reviews, not necessarily all gratis reviews because I look to Community members reviews all the time as I trust them more than I do people from Influencer 🧐

It would be nice if there were an influencer box you could check if you received the product free for review.  Just for transparency.  @gonerogue 

@gonerogue  That’s true, I do trust BIC feedback more than Influenster “reviews.” Sephora could tweak their review form to split the free product option into 2: one for “I received free product from Influenster” and one for all other gratis. Though I guess one could argue that’d unfairly single out Influenster. (I personally don’t think it’s unfair. :D)

I haven’t posted reviews on my gratis items specifically because they were gratis. Well, also because I haven’t wanted to post more reviews after all the trouble I went through with my last review (which was deleted 6 times; I gave up trying to make it stick a 7th time). I should try posting reviews again, once I have a better idea of which words are on the filter list that automatically removes reviews. 

@WinglessOne Deleted 6 times 😱 that sucks. Thank you for your dedication and effort! Did you follow the review guidelines? https://www.sephora.com/beauty/ratings-reviews#Guidelines7t7t7t

@WinglessOne 

Totally agree with that. I think some of our Community members are also with us on those Influencer reviews. Did anyone ever message you to let you know WHY they were deleting your review? It’s messed up that you had to write it 6 times and it still wouldn’t post. I’ve had some of mine I guess “rejected” because they don’t post as well but I’ve never been told why they were rejected.... I think I follow the guidelines pretty well given that I’ve written over 100 so far but it’s just one of those things that I just don’t want to fuss over 🤷🏼‍♀️

@gonerogue  I asked about it in the customer service group last year. A mod looked at it and said the word “burn” was on the bad words filter. 🤨 I was trying to review a mascara that made my eyes itch and burn. Whenever I read reviews for any mascara, “burn” is one of the words I scan for because my eyes cannot handle 90-95% of mascaras on the market. Anyway, I revised/reposted that review several times before giving up and deciding not to bother trying to review anything else again. 

The funny thing is, I saw a few other negative reviews for the same mascara get deleted a day or 2 after they were posted. Either we all triggered the auto-filter with a “bad” word, or someone didn’t want negative reviews on that product. 

@RNGesusPls  Yes, I followed the guidelines. (I’d read them before.) I wish someone would be more transparent about specific words and phrases we apparently can’t use in reviews. That’d save us (well, me) a lot of time and effort. 

@WinglessOne Darn, I wish there's more transparency too. I also had a review taken down because I described my allergic reactions using burning, itching, swelling, etc. So I stopped using those words 😕

@RNGesusPls  I tried replacing burn (burned) with stung, itchy, irritated, hurt, and I don’t remember what other words. Each iteration of the review was still deleted. Irritated and hurt are such vague soft words, they should’ve been fine; neither of those words indicates a specific medical reaction. So... yeah, I have no idea which words are safe to use for products that cause bad reactions. 

I often see product reviews mentioning things like “it broke me out.” If that’s safe to say about a product, maybe that’s what I should’ve used for a mascara review. 😄 “This mascara broke my eyes out!” 🤣 

@WinglessOne LOL 😂 I can imagine some readers going, "Styes? I don't want styes!"

Yeah, it's weird that "broke me out" is ok. I wander if "react" is part of the filtered words too. I ended up saying something along the lines of "my skin did not like this product at all" or "not compatible".

@WinglessOne @RNGesusPls  I think (as we're seeing with this story) that the review process isn't as straightforward as we would like it to be. I've had lots of reviews post that are still around and don't follow the guidelines and then others will get yanked that do follow the guidelines so IDK

Also, I think it's super shady that "burn" is a word that would be filtered for a review deletion since any review with that in it would be important to consider in making a purchase 

Side note- while I get it, I also find it annoying you can't list other products in your review since I find comparisons helpful

@WinglessOne  seriously? That’s a big deal! If a product makes someone’s skin or eyes burn, I think we would all want to know so that we could avoid that happening to ourselves! That’s very eye opening though... thanks for sharing that with us!

@txcatx The downvoting-useful-review folks probably just...

@txcatx The downvoting-useful-review folks probably just want to watch the world burn lol idk

Re: @txcatx The downvoting-useful-review folks probably just...

@RNGesusPls 

I love this comment ❤️😂

I think some people mark reviews as not helpful when they see they received free products. It’s just a theory but it is annoying.

@gonerogue I've noticed that too but in their defense, those reviews are frequently terrible. I also don't get the strategy of just giving random people- who may not value makeup/skincare the way many sephora customers do- free product and then just waiting to see what happens (looking at you influenster). So many of them just say "too expensive" or "i gave to my mom"... like okay? How well did you even try this though? Sorry this isn't Walmart

Sorry for the rant, not directed at you but this is the pet peeves thread sooo 🤷‍♀️😅

@Brutalitops 

I don’t think I’ve stumbled upon a “I didn’t try it” review yet. It really defeats the purpose of reviews to just write something like that and recommend the product or not. I do see a lot of reviews when products first launch of people saying “I want to try this so bad” and giving it 5 stars or 1 star and they haven’t even tried it out. That really irritates me. 

@gonerogue @Brutalitops Oh boy yes those types of reviews grinds my gears too. They offer no useful content 😞

1 Reply
testing