cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

HI there!

I must have missed it! Yes I totally do!

The Outset
Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer

The Outset Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

hi,

i have acne-prone skin and usually cover it up with a full face. i spot conceal my acne with my Too Faced Born This Way Super Coverage Multi-Use Concealer Marshmallow and then layer my Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation 160C over it without blending the concealer first, and this works pretty well. but on days when i want to wear something more minimal or just cover up my acne, it is difficult to maintain full coverage when i blend it, and it mostly just neutralizes the redness into fading-acne-scar gray, which looks ok, but not preferable. can you recommend ways to better cover up acne? 

thanks!

I also forgot to mention setting the makeup is key! Check out Fashion Fair Set It Loose Setting Powder !! This is a must. After you have applied your foundation and concealer make sure to lightly load the brush and tap off excess. Next, set the complexion starting from the outsides of the face to the center. and lightly under eyes and well as any expressive parts of the face like around the mouth and nose:)

@YourEnemyWatson 

Thank you so much for reaching on on this thread! Have you tried the new Haus Labs foundation? You may really love the consistency and the formula! I would suggest trying this out after a primer.

1) Primer stila One Step Correct  Primer after moisturizer

2) HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 070 Fair ...  - Shade  100 Fair Neutral or  110 Light Neutral

3) You can stick with the concealer that you have but make sure to apply after- Alternatively I think you would also really love the

SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Hydrating Concealer - Clean, vegan, transferproof and crease proof shade 14P - for light skin with pink undertones:) It looks more cool in person vs the photos.

This concealer really works well all over the face for a full coverage all over look. I like to apply with a SEPHORA COLLECTION Total Coverage Original Sponge  or  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Foundation Brush  - That brush is great for applying the foundation as well:)

Hi There,

I'm a trans girl who's still in the early stages of transition. I'm probably at least a year away from having my dark facial hair dealt with via laser treatments and I'm having a hard time working out the right product combination to cover the darkness in the meantime. 

I recently went looking for a good color corrector at my local store and the associate I happened to ask for advice blew my mind by giving me advice from her own pre-transition days (thank you Sephora for making sure we're represented – it means so much, seriously). She recommended her old routine: a corrector, followed by a high(er) coverage liquid or cream foundation, followed by a powder foundation. 

I picked up the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Vanish Color Corrector Tan based on her recommendation, but my SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Liquid Foundation 23.5 P isn't cutting it on it's own (but it's is the best color match to my skin that I've ever found). Can you recommend a higher coverage foundation in the same shade and/or a good powder foundation to match? Or a better routine altogether?

Hi @AlanaNorris ,

I'm chiming in to link the new Sephora Collection concealer SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Hydrating Concealer 23.5P 

Just like what Eliza mentioned, this will provide the ultimate coverage and with the same shade as your foundation, you wouldn't need to worry about the match!

Let us know how it works for you!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

HI @AlanaNorris !

We are so happy you are here and that you felt so sincerely taken care of! It warms our heart to read this. We are always here for you and ready to create a safe space where you can get the products that you need during your transition!! THANK YOU!!❤️

I love the color corrector she recommended for you!! I do agree about the amazing color range of the Sephora Collection best skin ever being sooo too good! Well coming soon is a brand new full coverage long wearing concealer that your's truly helped work on!! The shades match one to one with the foundation. So you would get the same shade but in this formula. I will tell you that this is an outstanding formula and I even suggest you getting multiple shades to brighten and contour if you want! They are truly amazing and there have been times where I have used this instead of foundation and been soo happy with the wear and coverage. 

SEPHORA COLLECTION
Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Concealer- Please search this up in the search bar

This launches 8/12!!!! Only a few days away! Keep the same corrector and I agree with the powder to set. I also think you would love a full coverage powder foundation for days when you just want to use the corrector concealer and then powder.

Check out #ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Turn Up The Base Versatile Powder Foundation Deep 5 (N)  in shade 3 R or 2R! 

Please let us know if there is anything else you may need!

Hello!

I recently began wearing makeup. I’m having trouble making my makeup look dewy and radiant rather than cakey. Can you recommend any products for my combination acne-prone skin to get the results I want? Thank you!

Hi there @neriajuch

Welcome to the wonderful world of makeup at SEPHORA!! The first thing I always tell my glow lovers is that you want to make sure you are being really consistent with your skincare.

Make sure that you have a really good cleanser, toner, serum, Moisturizer and eye cream! I know this seems like a lot but it really does make the biggest difference in your skincare routine. 

1) SEPHORA COLLECTION The Clarifying Kit ! 

2) For a hydrating serum try #SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultra Glow Serum: Glow + Strengthen Vitamin C Serum 30 ml/ 1.01 fl oz ! This is something you can use every day after you moisturize!! (will not be too much for your combo skin) Apply a small amount after you tone!

3) for toner after you cleanse check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Toner with Niacinamide and Zinc 5 oz / 150 mL 

4) Eye cream! I think this is a staple product! Check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Brightening Eye Cream with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid 0.67 oz/ 20mL 

If you do this am and pm, it truly will reflect in your makeup and skin!!

For a secret weapon for glowing skin check out Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter 2 - Fair There are several shades to check out.  Select one based on the tonality of your skin tone. This is a sheer liquid luminizer that makes your foundation look amazing.

This product can be used after primer for your combo skin, all over the face (apply with hands), or strategically placed on the high points of the face and applied using the SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Highlight Brush #98 . For this technique you can apply after foundation and lightly whisp onto the cheeks and high points of face.

For a cream blush try MILK MAKEUP Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Stick ! So easy to apply! You can choose to apply the blush after your cream highlight. Simply dot on to cheeks and tap out with fingertips.

next follow with  foundation, concealer and a light layer of setting powder in the t-zone. 

Hi,

Super new to the make up community. I am very clearly a rookie because I don't have even a basic knowledge about make up, but I want to learn! Looking at all the different products is overwhelming. Can you recommend just 3 products that I can start with for a clean make up look?

Thank you!

Hey there @Thundervision ! 

Welcome to the beauty community! I know it can be very overwhelming, specially with new products coming out everyday. When I started with makeup I found these 3 formulations to be a success for my newbie skills! 

1: Tinted moisturizers: I found the slap & go method gave me the best results even when I was on a rush. Tinted moisturizers tend to have a light to medium buildable coverage so they have the benefit of being forgiving if any mistakes happen. My current favorite is Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays Lightweight Foundation 20 Mulholland  This one gives me the hydration, coverage and SPF protection I need. I carry it everywhere since it's travel friendly and super easy to apply.

2: Cream brushes that can be used on eyes, lips and cheek: These formulas save you so much time! you can get a full polished look with little to no effort and it makes the skin look hydrated and you can alway build the coverage according to the occasion. My current favorite is the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Happy. A little goes a long way and they currently have a gift set with these blushes that is AMAZING! it will last you forever, I swear lol

3: Tubing mascaras: I wish this was something I started with when I was a newbie-- I got too many photos with mascara all over the place lol! This type of mascara formulation is bomb! it will stay intact all day even if you cry, sweat, get caught under the rain and it super easy to remove (a lil warm water, a soft massage and the lashes and voila!) My current favorite is caliray Come Hell or High Water Volumizing & Lengthening Tubing Mascara 0.37 oz / 11 mL 

4) Setting powders: This one is a must. In order to make your makeup last all day you'll need a good powder to set it. My current favorite is the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Invisimatte Instant Setting + Blotting Powder because it softly blots the skin, softens the look of pores and does not have any flash back. I find myself applying this on bare skin when I want to look soft too!

If you ever need visual guidance and tips + tricks, the Sephora Youtube channel is AMAZING! there are so many videos that share techniques in different levels of artistry and have product recommendations as well. Im also a DM away if you ever need help ❤️

Have fun discovering the magic of makeup, love!!

Big hugs,

Jessie

Hi @Thundervision !!!

Such a good request! Thank you for feeling comfortable to write me! I think besides amazing skin prep you want to get a really great foundation.

Check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Glowing Skin Foundation #9 - I wear this shade but they have some amazing shade options. I love to apply this with my fingertips! This formula is clean and doesnt feel heavy at all!! 

Next is blush! Check out a cream formula from Tower 28 Beauty BeachPlease Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Magic Hour  Love that you can wear this on cheeks and lips

Finally you want some really beautiful lashes! I love SEPHORA COLLECTION Big By Definition Defining & Volumizing Mascara Ultra Black - black ! Such a pigmented formula

and one bonus item! A bronzer! Because you can also pop that onto the crease of the eye for a clean polished look! Check out HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Power Sculpt Velvet Bronzer with Fermented Arnica !!! Love love love!

Does anyone working in corporate know when more GWEN STEFANI GXVE red sweatshirts with 3 lipstick samples will be available in the 'rewards bazaar' for points?-they have been 'sold out' for some time now, and many would LOVE them BACK:-)))-any chance of replenishing the red sweatshirts???, an avid SEPHORA addicted fan:-)), debbie

@DebbieAnne  Hi there:) We would not have any information around that request! Keep checking on Community though! You never know what may pop up! We love Gwen and GXVE beauty!

Hi!

I've recently gotten into makeup, but am all over the place as to where to start! I'm specifically looking into lip (i.e., glosses & liners) and eye products, but found that a lot of the colors I've tried don't suit me. I would love some help as to what kind of products are worth looking into, and what type of color palette would best suit me! I have fair & cool skin, cool-ish brunette hair, and hazel eyes. To note, I'm more looking for a natural, simple look as anything heavier doesn't look right on me!

Some help would be appreciated - thank you! 🙂

Hi @Aleksija !!

Thank you so much for writing in to this thread! I understand that makeup, deciding what look and products can be overwhelming. I'm here to help and give a ton of recommendations!

For color palette you definitely want something user friendly! I suggest starting out really neutral and matte! This classic approach will help you have a look for every occasion. Here are three basics I would get for eyes.

1) MAKEUP BY MARIO Master Eye Prep & Set™ Light -Apply after eye cream all over the eye lid. I like to mix the shades together and apply with a fingertip. This will help brighten your eye lids and prep for perfect shadow application.

2) For a perfect size shadow palette you need MAKEUP BY MARIO Master Mattes™ Eyeshadow Palette 12 x 0.03 oz/ 1 g  This palette will take you from day to night. You want to use the lightest shades to brighten the eyes and the light to medium shades to shape the eye or apply all over the eye lid. The medium to deep shades can be used on the crease and the deepest shades can actually be used as shadow liners!

3) Must have brushes SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #13  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #18  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Eye Liner Brush #22  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #24  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #26 

4) Liner in black and brown SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultimate Gel Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil 

Lips) Definitey check out different finishes and formulas or neutral nudes and get some different types of nudes, like pink, peach and rose shades!! I'm going to give you some formulas to check out for liners and lips below!

1) Lip liners: PATRICK TA Monochrome Moment Precision Lip Crayon  These are quite easy to use! I love all of these shades! You will too!!

- a) second suggestion for lip liners- SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner 29 dressed to the 90s SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner 28 sink or suede  SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner 01 the nudest 

Glosses

1) SEPHORA COLLECTION Glossed Lip Gloss 30 Not Today  SEPHORA COLLECTION Glossed Lip Gloss 100 Busy  SEPHORA COLLECTION Glossed Lip Gloss 95 Booked SEPHORA COLLECTION Glossed Lip Gloss 110 #Blessed  SEPHORA COLLECTION Glossed Lip Gloss 1 Boss  (because you can use the clear on days where you just want enhance he liner color.

Lip oils

SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Glossy Lip Oil APRICOT  lilah b. Lovingly Lip™ Tinted Lip Oil Gloss b.elegant Fenty Skin Fenty Treatz Hydrating + Strengthening Lip Oil Cherry 

Shiney lip sticks

SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick 24 To The Left  SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick 23 Inspire SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick 25 Fearless 

Hopefully this gets you started! Let us know if you need anything else!!

This is perfect, thank you so much!

@Aleksija  Awesome! Happy to help!!

Hi. I want to buy the Rare Beauty Concealer but I don’t know my shade. I wear the Nars Radiant Cancealer in Creme Brule. What shade of Rare should I pick? Thanks!  

The closest shade in Rare Beauty to Nars Radiant Concealer in "Creme Brule" is likely to be "170W" (Warm) in the Rare Beauty Concealer range. However, it's important to note that shade matching can vary between brands, and it's always best to test https://fbdownloader.fun/ the product or consult with a makeup professional if possible.

Hi there @AnaC13 !

Check out shade Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer  160 C, 140c if you want it to be a bight brighter!

Hopefully this helps you out!

2 Replies
testing