cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

Hi!! Thank you for your help. I think 160c will be great. 😊

Hi! I’m looking for a soft pink lipstick with some shimmer…giving 60’s vibes. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you I’m advance!

Hi @albion 

OOOH!! I love this! Let me make some suggestions!!

1) NARS Lipstick Instant Crush 

2) NARS Lipstick Sexual Healing 

3) CLINIQUE Clinique Pop™ Lip Colour + Primer Lipstick 13 Love Pop 

4) SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick 16 Girl Crush 

5) SEPHORA COLLECTION Rouge Lacquer Long-Lasting Lipstick 28 Dare To Be 

Hopefullly these will be s good starting point for you!!

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

My daughter's hair looks really oily all of the time. She will wash her hair and a few hours later it looks like she hasn't washed it in days. Is there something ahe can do to stop that?

Hi DenaFuller72!

I have the same concern as your daughter. After I dry my hair (or when it air dries) I apply a dry shampoo. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day (PhD) Dry Shampoo helps me so much! And their shampoos/conditioners also helped to reduce oil production after a month or regular use.

Use as directed. i hold the can about 6 inches from my head and part my hair into sections as I blast the root with the spray. I also have naturally dark hair and it doesn't leave a white cast on it.

After I spray my roots (only the roots), I allow about 30 seconds to pass until it's dry and them use the pads of my fingers to rub it on and then brush my hair. it stays fresh for at least 24 hours! If I get oily again the next day, I'll repeat the dry shampoo. I usually end up washing my hair after about 4 days. A little goes a long way, so all she needs is a little bit.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

My hair did that as a teen, now that I’m a young adult, I figured out that it’s because I need to hydrate my hair more! I suggest a hydrating shampoo/ conditioner and a hair mask once a week. Also go 3 days without a shower even if it looks oily. 
My main suggestion, if you have the money, go to an aveda salon and ask them for advice, that’s where I started to learn this information about my own hair. Let them know the concerns and they’ll try a product during the service for you to see how it works.

Hi experts,

I had my perfect makeup routine figured out pre-pandemic, and now my skin had drastically changed. I used to have oily skin but now I think it's closer to combo or dry. For context, my skincare routine includes toner, vitamin c drops, eye cream, moisturizer, retinoid and then sunscreen. 

In particular, I'm having issues and would appreciate recommendations for the following:

• Concealer/setting: I have dark circles, so I need a color corrector. However, my under-eye areas always end up creasing despite me using appropriate eye care to prep. Do you have recommendations for a concealer or setting powder?
  • Face Primer: I want a primer that locks my makeup in place, even if I'm wearing a mask. I tried Rare Beauty's pore defusing primer but didn't feel like it did anything. For context, I use Charlotte Tilbury Mini Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray (but I haven't decided if it's working or not).
  • Eyebrows: No matter what I try, my eyebrows won't stay put. I've tried Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow and so many others which didn't lock the brows in place. Is there a brow gel that will actually hold them in place?

Thanks so much!

Hi there:) @spaceycas 

Thank you so much for connecting with me on this thread! I'm so happy to help you work through all of this!

I read through what you are using for skin and I think the only product I may layer on after vitamin c is a squalane serum. The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mL (You want to use this ideally after water based treatments) 

*Squalane has very high emollience, is an exceptional hydrator and can prevent ongoing loss of hydration that impairs dermal suppleness.

Concealer- ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Turn Up the Base Butter Silk Concealer Fair 2 (R)  (not color but formula) 

*This waterproof and oil-controlling concealer uses texture-solving ingredients to visibly smooth skin. The buttery-coated pigments allow enough play time for this formula to do it all: spot-treat, conceal and brighten under-eyes, and shape face. It also does not cake, crease, or transfer.

Setting- (Definitely would recommend both-) Fashion Fair Set It Loose Setting Powder  and a smaller brush to set more detailed areas of the face SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Highlight Brush #98 .

Primer MILK MAKEUP Mini Pore Eclipse Mattifying + Blurring Makeup Primer with Niacinamide Translucent  Is amazing. I like to pat this on to the skin and lightly allow to absorb. You can choose to use the setting spray to set your makeup an not as a primer. You may need a formula with a bit more grip. 

*This 90% natural, noncomedogenic, silicone-free primer feels refreshingly cool and dries to a translucent finish to absorb oil and fight shine. Blurring microspheres create a smooth canvas and provide a filtered finish. Infused with natural orange blossom and chamomile for a subtle, soothing scent.

Brow- Have you tried the Benefit Cosmetics 24-HR Brow Setter Clear Brow Gel with Lamination Effect 0.23 oz/ 7 mL  This will definitely keep your bows in place. I typically use a brow pencil first and then lightly comb this through. You can use this in multiple ways!! This is a product that stays in my kit! It never fails to keep the brows in place!

I hope this was helpful for you!

Eliza

Thanks, Eliza! I'll try this out. For clarity, should the Ordinary Hemi Squalane be used instead of the vitamin c serum and moisturizer? 

@spaceycas  You can use the squalane after the vitamin C and before moisturizer:)

My skin is textured and has some redness with large pores around the T-Zone with a oily T-Zone but the rest of my face is dry and my foundation tends to stick to dry patches. I have tried the elf hydrogrip primer I've even tried the elf putty primer I tried several primers but they never keep my foundation in place and with my foundation I have the Maybelline fit me and then the Maybelline 30 hour wear but by the end of the day my face is shiny and extremely dry and my foundation is separating. I use the CeraVe moisturizer, Paula's choice exfoliating ( not often).What should I do?

HI @NMmodel,

Thank you so much for reaching out here on this thread. I know how hard it is to battle changing skin. Especially when trying so many different products. My best advice is to get a really gentle skincare routine and be consistent with it. I cannot express enough how much this really makes a difference in the way your skin looks and feels and the over all way your skin will accept makeup and primer. 

Here are some recommendations that will help with the dryness and the way that the foundation is wearing.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Skincare Essentials Kit 

This starter kit is great for you! I comes with a full size of the cleanser and the mini of the peel pads and moisturizer!! I highly suggest you getting the full size of each!

details "The Clean Skin Gel is a daily cleanser that removes makeup, cleanses, tones, and soothes the skin while maintaining skin hydration. The Glow Peel Pads are exfoliating pads saturated in glycolic acid, peptides, and aloe vera that eliminate pore-clogging residue and dead skin cells. The Nourishing Moisturizer is a daily-use moisturizer that nourishes, repairs, and softens skin; it also helps prevent premature aging and reduces the look of dry, red, dull, uneven skin texture."

This Set Contains:
- 4.22 oz/ 125 mL Clean Skin Gel
- 20 x Glow Peel Pads
- 0.67 oz/ 20 mL Nourishing Moisturizer

Make sure you cleanse the skin every day and night and exfoliate with the peel pads every other day. Paulas Choice is a great treatment for the face and you could even alternate use between the peel pads and your Paulas choice. 

After you exfoliate you may want to try a treatment to help combat dryness. This will help boost the effectiveness of your whole routine. You can start with a good Hyaluronic acid. Check this one out from Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum. Use this after you exfoliate before your moisturizer!

Follow the above routine am and pm for best results and during the day only will you need to apply an SPF of at least 30. Check out First Aid Beauty Mineral Sunscreen Zinc Oxide Broad Spectrum SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL . Apply during the day only.

For a hydrating primer that won't cause separation but will help balance t zone oil- Check out ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Secure the Blur Makeup Magnet Primer 1.18 oz/ 35 mL . This is a game changer for combo skin. 

Just make sure you invest fully in your skin care first and really take time to massage it onto the skin. That makes the biggest difference when it comes to how your foundation wears. For a suggestion of a foundation check out Smashbox Studio Skin 24 Hour Full Coverage Waterproof Foundation 1 ! 

Additionally with foundation you may need a great concealer for even more coverage and brightening. I'm not quite sure how you apply but you may want to invest in a SEPHORA COLLECTION Total Coverage Original Sponge  and check out HUDA BEAUTY #FauxFilter Matte Buildable Coverage Waterproof Concealer Yogurt Drops 1.5 Beige  (not just this shade but for formula)

Also to set your makeup as a last step you may want a great setting powder! I swear by this one from Fashion Fair Set It Loose Setting Powder !!

I hope this was helpful for you!

I can’t wear anything I’d love a light even foundation or tint something that doesn’t crease with my smile but my hot flashes are at a all time high is there anything to help with foundation? 

Hi @karollynsmith !

Thank you so much for writing in!!

1) Check out MILK MAKEUP Pore Eclipse Mattifying + Blurring Makeup Primer with Niacinamide Translucent  first after you apply your skincare:)

Make sure to use a pearl size amount of the primer and pat on to the t-zone. allow to dry.

2) To even the skin apply a small amount of makeup to the back of your clean hand and apply using a SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Foundation Brush #47  I like to start application on the center of the face and work outwards. Be mindful of the jaw line and blend around the hair line. A good formula for you to use would be the Estée Lauder Double Wear Sheer Long-Wear Makeup SPF 19  This will feel light but offer really good coverage.

3) Then after you apply use a clean sponge and press and pat any product into the skin to further eliminate any texture. You can use a   SEPHORA COLLECTION Sponge 

4) For any dark circles use a concealer to brighten. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear All Over Full Coverage Concealer 

5) Set using Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Palette  This palette comes in two versions and contains a setting powder, highlight and bronzer. This is a must to complete your complexion.

6) As a security for humidity use a setting spray. ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Mini On 'Til Dawn Mattifying Waterproof Setting Spray 1 oz/ 46 mL  Apply as the very last step:)

Enjoy!

So I have naturally curly hair, but I had it relaxed about a year ago. My hair is constantly dry and dead-looking, never has any shine, and has no life. Also, I use heat on my hair to dry and style it but only once a week. I get constant dandruff and it’s a lot of dandruff. I need product recs(shampoo, conditioner, hair protein masks, etc.) that will get my hair looking shiny and healthy. And will also help with split ends. 

Hi there @Maveai

Thank you so much for writing in to this thread! 

Below are some recommendations based on your concerns! I think you will absolutely enjoy the effectiveness of these products below

1) This shampoo you can use as needed. It is amazing for dandruff and really helps to detox the scalp and control flakes.

Briogeo Scalp Revival™ Dandruff Relief Charcoal Shampoo 8.4 oz/ 248 mL 

2) This scalp exfoliator will help do a Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Scalp Scrub Shampoo 8 oz/ 236 mL Use this in between shampoos for a deep scalp exfoliation.

3) This mask is cooling and soothing for the scalp and will help with any flakiness. Briogeo Scalp Revival™ Charcoal + Tea Tree Cooling Hydration Mask for Dry, Itchy Scalp 6 oz/ 177 mL  Use after exfoliating shampoo and leave mask on for up to 10mins.

I have some conditioner options for you and a really great hair strengthening treatment. (its also great for heat treated hair)

4) Briogeo Don't Despair Repair Rice Water Protein + Moisture Strengthening Treatment 5 oz/ 148 mL  apply the same time that you use the scalp mask. Wring hair of any excess moisture and apply from mids to ends. Apply the Briogeo scallp mask to scalp only. I like to leave both on for 10-15 mins for best results. 

5) adwoa beauty Blue Tansy Reparative Conditioner 14 oz/ 414 mL  Use this for times when you don't use the briogeo strengthening treatment. You can still use the scalp treatment with this conditioner in the same way:)

6) For a topical treatment to stimulate the scalp, protect from heat and UV damage and strengthen the scalp check out  the adwoa beauty Baomint™ Protect + Shine Oil Blend 3.3 oz/ 98 mL 

Suggested Usage:
-Apply a few drops to your hands and massage your scalp daily for optimal shine.
-Use on fingertips to unravel your twist-outs and braid-outs or to fluff out your wash and go.
-Use alone or as a boost with adwoa beauty’s Deep Conditioner (sold separately) to maintain healthy hair and scalp.
-May be used as a beard oil to add softness and shine.
-Can also be used sparingly as a body oil.

Please check out some of these options or the full regimen. I know you will be really happy with the results.❤️

Hi, could I use the Paula's choice bha with the farmacy honey halo moisturizer? 

HI @Kinde55!

Yes you can! I still would use a high quality spa like Supergoop! Mineral Mattescreen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ 1.5 oz / 45 mL  This will be great to protect your skin during the day.

Best,

Eliza

Hi rare beauty! I would like to know if you will be holding any makeup events etc in the future where Selena will be attending in person? It says on the offical rare beauty website that there are Sephora Rare Beauty events being held in the United states around December? If Selena happens to be attending any one of them in person i would like to pay $5000 or more to whoever i need to for a quick meet and greet and photo with Selena. So advanced information on the up and coming events would be much appreciated. If this needs to be discussed in private then lead the way!

Kind regards. 

1,173 Replies
testing