cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

I have quite dark spots on my arms from the sun. What product (s) is best to reduce or eliminate?

My Lala retro cream is only coming out of one side of the circle and not the other. Other times it’s coming out a little bit on the other side but a lot on the other side and I don’t know how to fix it. Is there anything I can do?

Hello! I recently put up a -HEFTY- and well, perhaps desperate sounding post in the "Makeup Is Life" thread, and just discovered this post! 

Just relocating to a new state and starting a new job, things have been crazy busy, so I've unfortunately had to cancel each of my reservations to come in for a Sephora Pro shop-around 😞  Hoping to find some support here!

Would anyone be willing to help me out with some of my questions in my recent Community post? ⬇️

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Help-Wanted-New-Climate-New-Makeup/td-p/6637912

Thanks Luvs! 💗

Hi hi! 🌈 I have a question. Any advice for trying a cut crease for the first time? Tips or tricks appreciated 🙏

I have slightly hooded and deep set eyes.

My makeup skill level is creative beginner lol I have a few good brushes and love my make up tape 😋 

@CynthieLu I started doing cut creases last year. Finding a creamy eye pencil to map it out helped for me. I know some people also do it with concealer but I haven’t tried that method yet.  Also try to do a simple one before you try to do a more complicated look just to practice. I like to practice them before I take my makeup off. 

Thank you @SportyGirly125 that's helpful advice. I'm already going to wash everything off at the end of the day, so practicing then makes good sense 😄

I have olive skin and my hair colour is chocolate mahogany. Which shade of the Sephora retractable eyebrow pencil would best suit me?

Choosing the right shade of eyebrow pencil depends on factors such as your personal preference and desired look. However, considering your olive skin tone and chocolate mahogany hair color, a good starting point would be to look for a shade that complements warm tones. For olive skin tones, it's generally recommended https://calculadoraalicia.online/ to go for eyebrow pencils with warm undertones rather than cool undertones. A shade that matches or is slightly lighter than your natural hair color would be a good choice. In Sephora's retractable eyebrow pencil range, you can consider shades like "Medium Brown," "Soft Charcoal Brown," or "Warm Brown." These shades tend to work well with warm-toned hair colors and can provide a natural-looking match.

Hello! I would recommend the Chocolate Brown or Ebony depending on if you want a softer or more intense look. 🙂 Hope this was helpful!!

I’ve been using Sephora 10hr Foundation for years and am matched with #20 Claire/Light Cream. However, my color is no longer available. I would love to switch to a similar color in your Best Skin Ever series, but I need help finding a match. I live in rural Montana and don’t have access to a Sephora shop where I can get a match done in person. Can anyone help me find my shade? Thanks!

Hi @AreKraney , 

Thank you so much for leaving a question! While the two foundations are not exactly one to one in terms of shades, upon careful comparison, majority of the shades corresponds accordingly (e.g., Best Skin Ever Foundation 03 P - for fair skin with pink undertones = !0 HR Wear Perfection Foundation 03 Pearl - for fair skin with pink undertones). 

So using this system without shade swatching, I would recommend looking at shade SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Liquid Foundation 20 N . If you have pink undertone, I recommend shade 19.5 P - for light skin with pink undertones. 

I hope this helps! Let us know how it works out for you.

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

6BBEBF92-967F-4CC3-B7FC-CD1D56CD2F4E.jpeg

•  Hello! I’m in quite the quandary and need expert help! I’ve been using YSL Touche Eclat foundation in shade BR40 (cool sand) for years. You probably already know it’s been discontinued. I asked a beauty expert once already to match me with the equivalent shade of the Hourglass Ambient Soft Glow and they gave me shade 9.5. This looks like orange on my face. Not saying that this is necessarily a wrong formula for me, maybe just the wrong match. A little background: I’m 53, combo skin, few fine lines, prefer a dewy look. 
    PLEASE HELP! Lol. I managed to track down one last bottle on Mercari. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice.

in this image I am wearing the Westman Atelier Foundation Drops and the Hollywood Filter Foundation on my cheek bones for added dimension/highlightin this image I am wearing the Westman Atelier Foundation Drops and the Hollywood Filter Foundation on my cheek bones for added dimension/highlightHello Merrie1970!

I personally loved that foundation too! I am 47 and have similar skin tone. You have a lovely smile 🙂 thank you for including a picture, it is so helpful to be able to give you accurate recommendations.

My #1 recommendation for a dewy look would be ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation Balos ST3 It's a medium coverage but build-able.

My next recommendation would be Westman Atelier Vital Skincare Complexion Drops Dewy Skin Tint Atelier XI.5 or X 1(it wouldn't let me tag the X 1 shade) this foundation is INCREDIBLE!!! a very little goes a loooooog way. I'm obsessed.

You could always go this route, too: Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter in shade 2. This one can be used alone or under/over any other complexion product to add a glow. I love it so much.

I know what it's like to have my favorite products be discontinued and I hope these suggestions will help you find a new favortie!

Sincerely,

Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi hun! Knowing the YSL is a more medium coverage foundation and your looking for a nice dewy look these are some of the products I would recommend. Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin Medium Coverage Liquid Foundation with Hyaluronic Acid 11 Cool. It has a nice coverage and gives off a nice natural finish. The best part is that it is skincare infused. I would also pair this withLANEIGE Glowy Makeup Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL  or the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum both of these items can be used as a base under your foundation and give off a nice illuminating look to any foundation. If you also feel like you just want to set your look with a dewy finish I would definitely recommend Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist 1.35 oz/ 40 mL using this on top of any makeup gives a nice dewy finish and it also smells really nice. Plus having the skincare in your makeup routine is always on the plus side. 

@ElizaPRO 

You’re so gorgeous that I go through your photos often for hair and makeup inspiration. I recently saw that you’re 37 and was shocked! I’ll be 35 in 2 months and here is my question:

Once you have some larger pores and small scars from acne, can you ever get tighter pores and smooth texture again?

I still deal with acne, but have a good skincare routine. I’m about as fair as you get, so imperfections and slight redness are painfully obvious. I use to have oily/combo skin, but once I stuck with a good skincare routine, I really found I have dry skin that easily flakes no matter how well I exfoliate and moisturize. Part of the issue is I need to drink more water and the other is in order to keep from getting acne and prevent wrinkles (not an issue yet), I use chemical and physical exfoliants (lactic acid and niacinamide/zinc from the ordinary, as well as the salicylic acid oil as needed, and Differin at night. I’ve also used azaelic acid by The ordinary with luck, but pilling is always an issue.) Once breakouts completely heal, flaking isn’t a huge issue unless I use drying complexion products. And that is with moisturized skin and a hydrating primer. 

Is there anything I should stop using or add to help with texture and pores?

Excuse me for the long post. I’m the type of writer who always has to much info and has to condense even text messages and posts😬

@gapeach4 

Thank you so much, I'm glad the posts are inspiring for you!! So very sorry! I must have missed this tag! I recently had a birthday and now I'm 38!! So crazy!!! Thank you so much for the compliment!

I just read what you wrote and i think there is indeed something missing from your routine! Have you ever tried adding Hyaluronic acid to your rouitne?

Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum  This one from Glow recipe has been outstanding to help plump the skin and keep the moisture! You would want to apply two times, both am & pm.

I also want to suggest this serum to apply first before your hyluronic acid- Glow Recipe Strawberry Smooth BHA + AHA Salicylic Acid Serum - I like that this has multiple benefits in one serum to help with acne! 

I highly recommend the Glow Recipe products. I think simplifying what you are using will also help calm your skin. 

1) Cleanse The Outset Gentle Micellar Antioxidant Cleanser 5 oz / 150 mL  -Gentle! great cleanser to help balance your skin am/pm

2) Tone Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant - Great for acne and leavine your skin feeling smooth am/pm

3) Glow Recipe Strawberry Smooth BHA + AHA Salicylic Acid Serum - Helps refine the look of pores as well as help with acne. am

4) Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum  Apply am/ pm after serum and before moisturizeram/pm

5) SEPHORA COLLECTION Brightening Eye Cream with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid 0.67 oz/ 20mL  am/pm

6) REN Clean Skincare ClearCalm Replenishing Gel Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  (day) night- The Outset Restorative Niacinamide Night Cream 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

Also please use an SPF daily- to help protect your skin

Saint Jane Beauty Luxury Sun Ritual Pore Smoothing Face Sunscreen SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL  _ This one is great for pores, redness and acne- This is also my personal secret for anti againg along with consistency.

To follow up, cut back on combining the physical and chemical exfoliation- Some of what I suggested above will be enough to help get your skin back on track. The recommendations I gave will help you smooth and gently exfoliate the skin throughout the day and while you sleep. 

Hope this is helpful for you!😀

Looking for a really good hydraulic acid cream. Currently prego and cant do botox etc want a really good skincare line to use.

During pregnancy, it's important to be cautious about the skincare products you use to ensure the safety of both you and your baby. While hyaluronic acid is generally considered safe for topical use during pregnancy, it's advisable to consult with your healthcare provider or a dermatologist before introducing any new skincare products https://eduk8u.com/shrm-advance-certificate-in-hrm/ into your routine.

Hi there @lbft8886 ,

We recommend consulting with your doctor before using anything while pregnant or nursing.

Thank you for understanding,

Eliza

Hi there, I have severely dry and sensitive skin. A lot of products usually burn my skin whenever I put them on. I find that only a handful of products don’t irritate my skin and they’re mostly moisturizing products such as the CeraVe moisturizing lotion, the Laneige water bank cream, and the Laneige water sleeping masks. How do I repair my skin barrier to allow it to work with so many more products? I really want to be able to use retinol again but have had to stop due to irritation (I have been using it for a year and suddenly started getting irritated when I apply it). Retinol fixed my skin like no other and it’s frustrating not being able to use it to keep my skin clear and get rid of scarring. Let me know!

1,173 Replies
testing