cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

@ColSpringsMama so you'll need different products here . to help minimize them try OLEHENRIKSEN - Banana Bright Eye Crèmethis is a great eye cream that helps with dark circles plus it has a touch of color correction in the formula to brighten without makeup. next , if your under eyes are very dark you will likely want to use a color corrector to neutralize the purple undertones there becuase concealers will only look grey otherwise. try Charlotte Tilbury Magic Vanish Color Corrector Medium , then apply a good concealer like Hourglass Vanish™ Airbrush Concealer Beech 6. the use of the color corrector will allow you to use less concealer which in the end will look more natural. 

Hi my question i have the product two face I have the concealer in honey should I go darker then honey for the foundation.  I am African. American and 45 years old.  I am tan with golden undertones

@kimmypete hi there you should match your foundation to your skin as best as possible. i wouldn't use a concealer as benchmark since we often choose concealers that are lighter. 

Anonymous Insider

Hi! At 22 years old, I began experiencing some cystic acne, mostly on my chin and forehead. Then three years ago the cystic acne spread to my cheeks and neck. I started double cleansing during stay at home and that has helped significantly with my cheek and neck acne, but my forehead and chin have gotten worse. I would say my skin is pretty oily, though when I've gotten facials, the aesthetician always say that my skin is dry. My makeup artist for my wedding said my skin was oily, but I was using too many drying ingredients without incorporating moisturizing ingredients. I'm currently using tea tree facewash, toner, vit c/vit serum, and moisturizer with SPF in AM and double cleanse at night, toner, retinol or glycolic acid or salicyclic acid and moisturizer at night. I added in the vit c a month ago and haven't seen anything. I'd really like to start over with one or two skincare lines and would prefer a green seal company. I've had so many opinions by professionals, I'm so confused where to go now. Thank you.

Your skin is probably dehydrated. Dehydrated skin is skin...

Your skin is probably dehydrated. Dehydrated skin is skin that lacks water, and dry skin is skin that lacks oil. They are two different things, and skin can be dehydrated and oily at the same time. When the skin gets dehydrated, it tends to produce more oil to try to rehydrate itself and restore the skin barrier, and this increase in oil production leads to acne and clogged pores. Also, when skin is dehydrated, the skin barrier is compromised, and this allows bacteria to infect the pores more easily. Double cleansing is great, but I would recommend adding a hyaluronic acid treatment, preferably a serum, that will help to draw water to your skin and rehydrate it. The reason why your esthetician thought your skin was dry is because after dehydrated skin is cleansed, it tends to feel very tight and dry. Skinfix has some really good products to help restore the skin barrier, and elizavecca (a Korean brand on Amazon) has great, inexpensive hyaluronic acid serums. Also, I would recommend incorporating benzoyl peroxide and perhaps a stronger retinoid into your routine for your acne.

@dancinleo15 hi there im sure i can help out! to start id recommend Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mLthis is a fantastic cleanser and makeup remover that quickly has become a cult obsession. many acne prone users have praised it help in maintaining good skin. next The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLis a great option to make sure you are getting good hydrated skin. next i recommend The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLthis can be used all over the face or only where you find you have excess oil being produced. niacinamide is great for helping with oil control issues as well as many other benefits. now i would personally put a hold on vitamin c until after you have reduced the breakouts. vitamin c can cause some reactions in people so its best to get your skin under control and then slowly introduce it to see how you respond. for a moisturizer try  Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mLits a great lightweight moisturizer that will hydrate your skin lovely. now at night i would recommend using Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL, this is not 'Clean At Sephora' but it is a fantatsic product that i think may be of great help to you. you would apply this after cleasning at night then contnue with the rest of your routine. i suggest starting with this one night using it then 2 night without , then every other night , until your skin is accustomed to it. retinol is fantastic at helping with breakouts but its best to introduce it into the skin at a slower pace . this can help your skin adjust and not react. 

Hi. It took years to find and I loved loved using Kate Somerville Daily Detox cleanser but they discontinued it. I tried other Kate cleansers  but they do not work. I have emotional On and off acne skin but im

45 do I have wrinkles and aging. Please help. Thank you

Anonymous Insider

Hi I’m an older woman of 57.  And I was wondering if you could recommend a moisturizer to help with wrinkles for my face for the most part it’s ok but I deeper lines around my mouth and saggy area under the chin area 

@Anonymous i can definitely help, but first let me ask, what is your skin type? meaning are you dry, normal, oily skin? and also is your only concern to address the lines around the mouth and the loss of elasticity in the chin? i want to make sure i can recommend the best choice for you so if anything else let me know so i can take it into consideration. 🙂

Do you know where I can find the Kate Somerville serum from this year's sun safety kit? Its called "Kate Somerville Kx Active Concentrates Ceramides + Omegas Serum" on the bottle, but the only thing I can find is Kate Somerville Kx Active Concentrates Bio-Mimicking Peptides Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL.

Hi @skcfan @DavidBD,

The Kate Somerville Ceramide and Omega Serum is no longer available on Sephora.com because it is discontinued by the brand. We apologize for the confusion.

Best,

Penelope

@Anonymous is interesting , i see that it isn't appearing on the sephora.com page yet when i google searched it i could find it on sephora. so weird. let me see if i can get to the bottom of this. ill get back to you.

@TeamBIC is there any way we can help sort this out? thanks! 🙂

Hi, I just turned 30 today and had a baby 9 months ago. Growing up my skin was always oily and acne prone but in the last couple years that changed. And now after having a baby my skin is so dreary and dull. It's dry but still sometimes a little prone to small breakouts. And my pores are so dark and huge (see pic). My skin looks like I'm double my age. I'm an outdoorsy, laid-back type when it comes to make-up and skin care but I really want to work on my skin. I'm looking for a simple but powerful skin care routine/products. Please help with recommendations! Thanks!skin.jpg 

@boulderEm hello! im sure i can help you get a great routine going. its very common for people to find that their skin changes as we age. so a new routine is probably the best solution here.

to start id recommend a good cleanser that is gentle, effective, but stilll hydrating. try Farmacy Clean Bee Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser 5 oz/150 mL. Pores are a big concern for many people and a toner is a great step to help address them. the YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE - Kombucha + 11% AHA Exfoliation Power Toneris a great toner and surface exfoliator that will definitely help to bring fresh skin cells to the surface while helping to address pores. next i would recommend THE ORDINARY - Buffet serum , this face serum is an excellent source of hydration but also alot (a buffet) of peptides which help our skin to firm and plump back up. this serum is a personal fave of mine. Vitamin C is a powerhouse ingredient that will definitely be a key factor in delivering brighter ,younger , radiant skin, but some people can have reactions to different types. i personally can't use vitamin c in a moisturizer and only in certain serums. so i would say to you , trying a serum with vitamin c is a great idea to see how your skin feels about it. i found great success myself with Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL.  then we need a good moisturizer for you. GLOW RECIPE - Banana Soufflé Moisture Creamis a great moisturizer that will hydrate your skin , reduce any irritation and calm it as well , while helping to restore your natural skin barrier. it is lightweight as well so it won't feel heavy on your skin.

now lastly , as an option, since you said you occasionally get the random blemish and since you are concerned with pores, i think you would benefit from a targeted mask that you could use 2 times a month ( you can increase usage if you feel it is helping a lot also) THE INKEY LIST - Apple Cider Vinegar Acid Peelis great due to its natural beta hydroxy acids whic will go into the pores and scoop out any congestion. this is an easy to use peel that you rinse off after 10 minutes. the only call out is on the day you use this you can skip the Kombucha Toner that day. 

Anonymous Insider

Okay girl so from the looks of it we have a similar skin type so hopefully some of the products I use will help your skin! The first thing that I would recommend is actually not something Sephora sells but you can find it at pretty much any drug store it’s called CeraVe renewing SA cleanser $9 this is a face wash but it will also help with getting rid of the small bumps/texture that you have on your face as well. The next thing that i would recommend is a brand that Sephora has called the ordinary toner $7 I went to go but it earlier they were all sold out of but you can also find at the drug store & amazon. This product will minimize your pores to the point where you can barley see them! The next thing that I saw in your picture is some dark spots if that’s something that you are wanting to minimize the I would recommend The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLThe next thing is a product that is more expensive but it well worth your money called tatcha water cream moisturizer Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL this product will take always all of the dryness in Your skin! Last thing which is also optional and is also a little more expensive is TATCHA - The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream. I really hope this helped!!:)

@bellabrodehl hi there! i love to see your skincare enthusiasm . i just wanted to make one call out, the product you recommended The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLis not for dark spots tho. this product is for use on the eye area, specifically the under eye where we can get contour darkness and puffiness. most products that have caffeine in them as a main ingredient are for the eye because the caffeine will help stimulate circulation. circulation of the blood in this area is key to help disperse under eye darkness as well as puffiness. so this product won't actually help for any dark spots on your face . if you do want to address dark spots try products like Dr. Brandt Skincare Dark Spots No More® Triple Acid Spot Minimizing Concentrate 0.5 oz/ 15 mLthis is specifically designed with a triple acid blend to help alleviate dark spots. 

I used this use the perricone no foundation foundation and I loved it for the dewy finish and spf. The new formulation is cakey and decreased the spf from 30 to 20. Any recommendations for something similar to the old formulation?

@sammypeanuts hi there! i do understand the sadness when your favorite beauty product is either discontinued or changed. we've all been there. so obviously there isn't anything exactly the same but i would definitely suggest trying ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Skincare Foundation Kokkini ST12, this is a serum skin tint foundation that is 'clean at sephora' , has a dewy finish, an spf of 40, plus is packed with great skincare benefits for hydration like squalane and hyaluronic acid !! overall its a great product i think you may really like!!

The Armani luminescence (shade #4) was disconnected- I see that the Armani Prima CC is comparable but can’t figure out which color! Help!

@daetienne i am not familiar enough with the Luminescence collection, but as both are sheer to light coverage complexion products usually the brands stay in the general shade range. i would guess that if you were a 4 in the luminescence like your a 4 in the ARMANI BEAUTY - Armani Prima Color Control Glow Moisturizer as well.

3 Replies
testing