cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Keep with drunk elephant it does transform your skin and...

Keep with drunk elephant it does transform your skin and I would continue to use it regularly to get the best results.

Re: Ask a Beauty Director!

Hi, I am 41 so need a clean skin care. I have started getting crow feet and wrinkles under my eyes and lines on my forehead and smile lines. Please can you suggest me any vitamin c serum, day cream and night cream , eye cream. Thanks or any nice skin care regimen please

Hey, I was wanting to the purchase the Laura Mercier flawless fusion concealers, can I get some help with selecting shades if at all possible.

I wear the shade 'sand' in the tinted moisturizer, I wear the shade '2C1' in the flawless fusion foundation, I'm wanting to get concealers for both of those products, I don't like anything to light preferably something that would blend in with the tinted moisturizer and the foundation

Thanks! 

@MCXOXO unfortunately its really hard to choose shades of products and skintones without seeing someone in real life, but going on general knowledge and some familiarity with the Laura Mercier Fusion collection i think you would be safe to get the Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Ultra Longwear Concealer 2Nin 2C. 

I have dry, sensitive skin so I’m super religious about my skin care. The only problem is that my hydrated skin smudges any mascara within an hour. I have deep set, hooded eyes too so that doesn’t help either. Is there anything I can do to prevent raccoon eyes without skipping my skincare or am I doomed?

So completely same problem, I have tried every mascara ou...

So completely same problem, I have tried every mascara out there as they all transfer under and over my eye. I don't think it's a skincare issue but eye shape, I also have hooded eyes. The only mascara that doesn't transfer is L'Oréal double extend. It actually really works absolutely zero transfer. You apply the white coat first then use the black coat and it seals and extends the lashes so they are long. It's easy to remove with only water. I haven't found any other mascara that works and I have literally tried them all.

@emelodious this is really common. the best solution is to use some powder around the eye, especially on the lid since that is where the culprit is. the eyelid gets oily naturally as a way to keep that skin flexible , even the smallest amount of oil touching your lashes will breakdown mascara (remember no makeup is oil proof ,not even waterproof can stop oil from breaking it down) . so take a small eyeshadow brush like SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #27 and dust a layer of Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent around the eye , especially over the lid. depending how fast your eyelids get oily again will determine when to re-apply a little layer more of powder. to help this you can also use some eye primer like Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Original on eyes first before the powder, this can help control oil and then with the powder it will create a strong barrier between your eye skin and your lashes.

Oh this is so helpful! I had never thought to use such a small brush for setting powder. That’s perfect so I don’t have to mattify my whole face. Thanks so much for your thorough answer! 🙂

@emelodious im happy to help! and you got it, the small brush allows you to just focus the powder where its needed and not get it all over if you don't want it on other areas. 🙂

RE: Ask a Beauty Director!

Hey! I am interested in trying Kate Somerville Eradikate spot treatment, but I can’t tell if it is the right product for me. I have oily sensitive skin and I usually have 1-2 inflamed acne spots and maybe a few small ones. I recently stopped using an adaphalene/benzoyl peroxide treatment because it stopped working. Eradikate intrigues me because it contains zinc and sulphur which (I think?) have been helpful for me in the past. I appreciate any thoughts 🙂

Re: RE: Ask a Beauty Director!

@emclem99 i think Kate Somerville EradiKate™ Acne Spot Treatment with 10% Sulfur 1 ozis an exceptional product. like you mentioned, the zinc and sulphur are wonderful for fighting blemishes. plus there is a BHA - beta hydroxy acid - as well. BHA's go into the pore and exfoliate the cell lining to remove dead skin cells that can often cause congestion and blockage . overall i would say definitely try it out!

Hi. I am looking for the right shade of the MUFR ultra HD Foundation. I was matched to Y345. However I found that the color does not totally match my neck which has more green tone. Which shade do you recommend? I am asian. Thanks.

RE: Ask a Beauty Director!

Hi! I am looking for a product to clear up my dark marks. Vitamin C is great but sometimes it irritates my skin. I am not sure if the products that I have been using have too much vitamin C in it or if my irritation is being caused by something else. What would you recommend?

@Autumn12 so Vitamin C can be a reactive ingredient for alot of people, myself included. sometimes its just the formula that does it so it may take some trial and error to see what works best for you. but i may be able to help guide you. so for vitamin c products i personally had great luck using DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - C+ Collagen Brighten & Firm Vitamin C Serum, i loooove this serum. it works beautifully  plus i had zero skin breakout or reactions. Also i was able to use Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLwith great results as well!! 

now there are alternatives to vitamin c to lighten dark spots. you could try retinol which can help as well, something like DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Creamcan really help boost cell turnover which reduces the look of dark spots as well as revealing youhtful skin. 

then of course there is Hydroquinone which is one of the top ingredients used to combat dark spots. MURAD - Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum is an incredible product with a long history of success at diminishing dark spots. 

hope this helps!! 

Hey @Autumn12 what Vitamin Cs have you been using?  It might be a secondary ingredient causing you irritation.  One of the most popular vitamin c's that comes to mind is the OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum® Mini which is actually not that high of a concentration of vitamin c but there are two-four different elements of essential oils and fragrance added to it.  

Anonymous Insider

Hi! I’m an ER nurse, and we’re getting slammed with covid at my hospital. I have to wear a full on respirator at work because we don’t have enough n95 masks. The skin on my nose and cheeks is breaking down from wearing such a large device for 10+ hours at a time. I put bandages as a barrier while I have the respirator on during work, but I wanted to know if you could recommend anything to help my skin be as healthy and hydrated (I don’t eat or drink on shift because I don’t want to take my mask off inside the building so we’re all pretty dehydrated). All I need is an open wound on my face while caring for patients, and I’d love a recommendation or two to pass on to the rest of work. 

thanks!

@WCTM first id like to say Thank You for all you are doing to help others during this crisis!! the conditions your describing can definitely wear on your skin. id recommend taking a look at a brand called Skinfix. Their products are directed to help with skin concerns like lipid barrier breakdown , eczema, dermatitis etc. Skinfix Eczema+ Dermatitis Face Balm 0.48 oz/ 13.5 mL and Skinfix Remedy+ 911 Ointment 1.8 oz/ 50 gare both extremely good for skin that is dehydrated and chapping from either skin conditions or external factors. you can use a little where needed to help protect and heal the skin. i would also recommend using SKINFIX - Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Creamas a moisturizer first before the ointment or balm , this moisturizer hydrates and helps boost the skins natural lipid barrier which is what breaks down in this conditions. hope this helps!! stay safe!! and again Thank You!! 

@WCTM, I don't know your price point.  You're going to need something heavy under the respirator to help protect your skin.  If price is no object, I recommend using La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL.  On a budget I would use CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream.  The La Mer has some skin benefits to heal the damage that's already happened to your skin, but the CeraVe will help, too.  Thank you for continuing your work helping people! ♥️

Anonymous Insider

Thank you so much! I’m gonna give the CeraVe a try. I can’t wear anything too heavy under the respirator as it will prevent a proper seal on my face. So hopefully post shift tlc can keep me going! Stay home and stay safe!

Hello my name is Nicole! I love makeup and I’m starting to expand my collection!! I’m looking for a new skin care routine. I came across the ordinary which I want to try. I’m looking for a new routine to help get rid of my acne. Which order or products do you recommend for a simple everyday skincare routine from the ordinary? Thanks😊

testing