cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

RE: Ask a Beauty Director!

Hi I’m a 26 year old female with oily skin !!! I’ve never really been much of a skin person until recently. I would always just wash my face with soap and that was pretty much it, no toner, serum, moisturizer none of that. Now I want to find the right products to use. I need face wash, toner, serum and moisturizer tips for my oily skin. Please help !!!

Re: RE: Ask a Beauty Director!

I love all the ceraVe products for beginners. they are all super gentle and very inexpensive. They have a lot of great ingredients that don't cause irritation. good luck. 

Re: Ask a Beauty Director!

Hi I’ve never really struggled with acne until recently I have combination skin and I’ve had acne on my forehead for over year now. I feel like I’ve tried every product there is but it hasn’t gone away. Recently i used a sample of the Sunday Riley ceo vitamin c serum but I think because of that serum my acne got worse. I tried using the the Sunday Riley UFO clarifying serum but I think that broke me out as well. I broke out more on my forehead and my cheeks. My skincare routine is as follows 

morning: 

cleanser: Dr Roebucks weightless foaming cleanser (I just started using this before I was using pixi cream cleanser ) 

toner: vasanti rose water toner 

moisturizer: farmacy honey drop lightweight moisturizer 

SPF: thinksport spf 50

night:

makeup remover: farmacy makeup melt away cleansing balm (just started using this a few days ago)

cleanser: Dr Roebucks weightless foaming cleanser

toner: vasanti rose water toner 

serum (once-twice a week) farmacy honey glow aha night serum 

moisturizer: farmacy honey drop moisturizer 

once a week: ole henriksen cols olunge pore mask 

vasanti brighten up exfoliater  enzymatic face rejuvenator 

I was wondering if there was anything I was doing wrong and what you could recommend to make the acne go away? My skin gets pretty oily in my nose and chin area and my forehead is a mix between oily and dry. My cheek area is dry as well. I only like to use clean products/ cruelty free products so it’s hard for me to find something that works for my skin! 
Thank you for all your help!

I have the same skin type as you. My t-zone gets oily, but my cheeks are very dry. I also had really bad forehead acne, and the only thing I have found that has worked is retinol. I started with differen, and over time I worked my way up to prescription strength adapalene gel. Also, benzoyl peroxide has helped a lot, too. I understand you like clean products, but sometimes, acne needs something a little more potent. At first the retinol will dry your face out and cause it to break out more, but after 12 weeks you will see results. I know it sounds like a long time to wait, but in the end it is definitely worth it. Everything else you do seems fine, just make sure your skin is hydrated and don't over exfoliate. If you do try retinol, I would stop using the mask and the pharmacy serum just to avoid irritation and dryness. Maybe try a hyaluronic acid serum instead? Elizavecca has two really good ones, and you can get them on Amazon. Also, make sure that all the products you use are noncomedogenic. Hope this helps!

Anonymous Insider

Hey. 55-year-old guy, fair-skinned (three surgical run-ins with facial skin cancer), work out every day. Skin is very dry in winter. Right now I use either Aesop primrose facial hydrating creme for milder days or Aesop Elemental facial barrier cream for cold, dry days. Should I be using an eye creme as well, and if so what do you recommend? Thanks!

Anonymous Insider

I'm a 22 year old female with normal-dry and have acne/ acne scars.I am currently using (for the past month):  AM 1)Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Cleansing Gel  2) SUNDAY RILEY - C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 3) SUNDAY RILEY - U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil 4) BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb 5) TATCHA - Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 35 PA+++ PM 1) FARMACY - Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 2) BIOSSANCE - Squalane + Tea Tree Cleansing Gel 3) SUNDAY RILEY - A+ High-Dose Retinol Serum 4) SUNDAY RILEY - Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment 5) SUNDAY RILEY - Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil 6) BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb Is there anything else I can use to help with acne/ acne scaring? Also, is there anything I can use to help with dryness/ flaky skin caused by retinol?

@Anonymous how has your skin responded so far to this routine? overall its great products and looks really good. the only thing that makes me a little nervous is the use of 2 retinol products as well as the Good Gene's which is lactic acids at night. that may be a bit too much active acids and retinol, plus can lead to more excessive dryness and flaking like you say you have. we often recommend one or the other, so you don't harshly attack your skin. personally i would say only use the retinol products and you can use the Good Genes as a once a week mask, simply apply a thicker layer to cleansed skin and leave on for 20 minutes then rinse off and continue with your routine. this way your skin isn't being overworked which can lead to more issues in time. hope that helps.

What are the best under eye creams 

@super1982 it really depends on what your concern is. eye creams tend to focus on wrinkles/dryness or dark circles/brightening  so for wrinkles some great options are SHISEIDO - Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Eye Cream, TATCHA - The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream , and for dark circles you can try OLEHENRIKSEN - Banana Bright Eye Crème, and FARMACY - Cheer Up Brightening Vitamin C Eye Cream with Acerola Cherry.  hope that helps!!

Products to use on facial acne caused by birth control? My skin is naturally oily/acne prone but the bc has caused under the skin pimples that are small but plentiful. The ones my cheeks (mostly on my right cheek) are under the skin and tender, the ones on my forehead really tiny but not painful.

@PrissL  hello! so we know birth control causes changes in hormones but it also can cause the oil glands in our skin to enlarge and produce more oil which combines with the dead skin cells lining our pores and it creates congestion which can lead to blemishes breakouts and the like. i recommend a gentle but good cleanser like Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser 6.75 oz this has both AHA and BHA acids in it which will help to exfoliate dead skin cells from the surface as well as inside the pore ,which is key for minimizing these breakouts. i would also recommend using a slightly more intense exfoliator once or twice a week like KORA Organics Turmeric Brightening Pore Scrub + Exfoliating Mask 3.38 oz / 100 mLits super easy to use and has alot of natural BHA's which really work inside the pore to keep it clean and fresh. then just be sure the moisturizer you are using is hydrating but oil free, something like GLOW RECIPE - Watermelon Pink Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer is a great option. 🙂

prosquad.jpg

Popping in to say hi to my faves! Heart

As you know little Babycakes came into the picture this year, and with that came some skin concerns I'd love your advice on. Any tips/product recommendations for hyper-pigmentation and stretch marks?

Love y'all!

Oh hi Beauty Directors, me again! 😄

I feel like a broken record but what do you think are the best products for acne scars and breakouts? My skin isn't sensitive so I feel like I can handle active ingredients. I'm fully prepared to commit to a peeling product or new nightly ritual - I have plenty of time these days!

Definitely check out Olena Belay on Instagram. She changed my skin!!

@KatieBT 

I've yet to start using it myself but I've heard about others getting great results using Murad InvisiScar Post-Acne Resurfacing Treatment 0.5 oz/ 15 mL.  I imagine that as long as you're consistently using sunscreen every single day and exfoliating regularly it should all work out! 

I have been doing so much research and browsing on products that I have become so overwhelmed by it. 
Bit of background- I'm 32yrs old, I live in New England, more specifically Western Massachusetts in US. I have never had a skin regimen before. I have an almost 2 year old child and have realized with all my body changes and lack of self care I want to start to have a skin care routine. 

I have literally no idea where to start but I do understand that there is a process of multiple items. 
I see that there are so many different skin combos and that very confusing to me specifically because I dont seem to fall under a specific category. My skin is very dry (full body dry) My face is dry, dull, somewhat uneven, pores yes are not large. My nose(Also wear glasses) and chin are oily with clogged pores for sure. I have occasional breaks there and also my high cheek bone down to my jaw line some times my cheeks but always my high point of cheek. My forehead is dry dry dry no breakouts ever. I would assume I am combination but not full t-zone problem. and would I be dry/combo or oily/combo. I finally decided to try Ole Henriksen Balance it all and have used it for 2 days. I have acne popping up on my cheeks and around my mouth now. I know there is a purging that will happen but my skin is  now also red on my cheeks. I'm wondering if maybe the products are actually too harsh or is that normal for starting a new system?

I seem to have a few concerns and dont know which I should tackle first. 
I hope this is something you would be able to help with

@calidreamin4946 hi there! i think we can help you find a suitable routine. It definitely sounds like you have combination skin. Even tho your forehead is dry ,your nose is oily , which constitutes a combination skin type . Also you are correct in that there can be a 'purging' time at first when starting a skincare routine , but hopefully we can help minimize that with good choices for you.

To start we need to tackle cleansing. Combination skin needs to be careful when cleansing because we often use something that is more suited for the few oily areas but it can be too harsh for the rest of the face. The Ole Henriksen Balance it All is a great set ,but might not be best for you as you have very dry skin elsewhere on your face, so the oil controlling and matte finish from this set is prob not making your overall skin happy. I recommend trying the Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml this will clean your skin, maintain moisture levels , and keep you PH balanced . All of which is essential for healthy skin. 

next we would usually dress serums at this point, but from what i am hearing from you i think its best we start you with fewer products that are very effective so your skin gets used to a routine. here is where we want to be sure not to overwhelm your skin and minimize that 'purging'. so lets talk about a moisturizer, I think for you i would suggest CAUDALIE - Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbetthis is a great moisturizer that will hydrate your skin but in a lightweight formula so it will work great with your combination areas. Plus this formula is amazing at keeping skin calmed and soothed, and i have learned over the years that when skin is stressed it reacts negatively.

Now, i think its best for you to start with just cleanser and moisturizer daily at first, let's keep it simple to start so your skin adjusts, once you've adjusted you'll be able to introduce new products along the way. That said i do think having a few 'specialty' products for occasional use is a great idea. So first i want to be sure you get a good exfoliation at least once a week, this is one of the most important steps in skincare .Rather than a daily exfoliant I think a once or twice a week exfoliator is best for your skin. KORA Organics Turmeric Brightening Pore Scrub + Exfoliating Mask 3.38 oz / 100 mLis the perfect choice. you can do this exfoliating mask once or twice a week to start. It can be done in the shower if you want (that's how i do it) after you cleanse your skin you would use this mask.It is a dual action mask so when you apply it will have texture to it ,so you gently massage over skin to start exfoliation then you let it sit for 5-15 minutes and let the enzymes do their exfoliation. this mask will help keep your skin fresh , smooth , and free of congestion that can cause breakouts.

finally, I recommend a hydrating sleeping mask. this is a mask you would apply before bed instead of your moisturizer. You could start by using this once a week and adjust as you see needed. they can be used as mush as needed but i say start slow and ease into it. Dr. Brandt Skincare Hydro Biotic™ Recovery Sleeping Maskis a great choice i think. this will help balance your skin and boost that hydration while you sleep , so your skin will be in its natural repair state so it can really get good use form this mask.

try this routine out and i think you will see great results and your skin will thank you!

Thank you so much for the info, advice and reccomendations. I greatly appreciate it! I can't wait to get my skin healthy. 

I'm 23F and I have combination skin with few blemishes that I get once in a while. I used to have bigger pores but that's significantly gone now using these products. Is there anything I should change, add or remove from my routine? Thanks!!

Morning

-CeraVe Normal to Oily Cleanser (sometimes skip it and just water in the morning)

-Rosewater as toner

-Summer Fridays CC Me Vitamin C Serum 

-Argan Oil (thinking of using this at night only)

-Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer

Night

-CeraVe Normal to Oily Cleanser

-Ordinary Glycolic Toner

-Biosannce Resurfacing Night Serum

-Argan Oil 

-Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer

-Sunscreen spf 30

Masks

-Once a week Bentonite Clay Mask with acv

@asdfghjkgfds 

It seems as though you have a solid routine, and I'm so proud of you for handling so well thus far. I honestly feel that if you think what you are doing is working to maintain healthy skin and you are content with your pore size and aren't looking to address any other concerns, then maintain your current program (that's assuming you are wearing your SPF in the daytime and not while you're getting your shut-eye ;-)). However if you are looking for some fun dupes or swaps, I might try as follows:

You could switch out your Cera Ve Cleanser for the Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser from Glow Recipe. I'm a huge fan, because it feels so refreshing when you use it, and it is packed with with powerful antioxidants. It also has gentle AHA's to remove surface debris, and hyaluronic acid to make sure that the skin is left hydrated. LOVE.

Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser 5.41 oz/ 160 mL

If you are finding that the Argan Oil you are using is too rich or nourishing during the day and you're getting excess shine, I think it's a good idea to remove it from your AM list. But keep it up at night time because it's one of the best occlusive oils available (meaning it seals hydration into the skin, like a plastic wrap). But if you want to add a supplemental benefit to your beauty oil, look to Josie Maran, as she has added several new Serum Like Argan Oils that are skincare secret wonders.

For overall texture and minimizing the signs of aging, try the Argan Beta Retinol Pink Algae Serum: 

JOSIE MARAN - Argan Beta Retinol Pink Algae Serum

For brightness, radiance, clarity, tone, firmness and elasticity, and the most active anti-oxidant protection try the Argan Bright Skin Vitamin C Serum. This would be my top pick for you, simply because the vitamin C is a great boost to anyone looking to see their skin preserved at it's best!

JOSIE MARAN - Argan Bright Skin Vitamin C Serum

If you wanted to give your skin a proverbial 'chill pill' you might consider her Skin Dope Argan Oil + 100 mG CBD. This is awesome for increasing your skin's naturally ability to cope with stress. So if you ever over exfoliate, get a sunburn, or just generally feel like you want to jump out of your skin, use this! Don't worry, this is non-psychoactive, so there's no trip, Chicken Strip.

JOSIE MARAN - Skin Dope Argan Oil + 100 mg CBD

Lastly, if you want to save a step and are willing switch up your method of exfoliation, you could give her Smooth Skin Resurfacing Serum a try. It has the same gentle release Lactic Acid you know from the Biossance, to re-texturize and smooth. It's a dream. Think of it like combining your active serum and your finishing oil together into one product.

JOSIE MARAN - Argan Smooth Skin Resurfacing Serum

Other than that you could try some wellness, and work on that gorgeous glow from the inside out? I'm currently into Goop's GoopGlow Morning Skin Superpowder! It's a mega-dose of vitamins C, E, and Co-Q10, all known to help reduce oxidative stress in the body. 

goop GOOPGLOW Morning Skin Superpowder 30 pack

Or maybe start an internal collagen support, to keep that skin feeling as bouncy as possible! I've personally been using the one from HUM Nutrition. A small disclaimer: you may not notice instant results with this one, but the cumulative effect are definitely worth it.

HUM NUTRITION - Collagen Love Skin Firming Supplement

I sincerely hope this long-winded recommendation helped out some? Let me know if there is anything else I can do or suggest. And thanks again for reaching out on this thread! MWAH!

Hey there community members ... are you confused about what skincare is best for YOUR skin type? This week we are focusing on that common question ( although of course we will still answer any questions ya got) !!!Hey there community members ... are you confused about what skincare is best for YOUR skin type? This week we are focusing on that common question ( although of course we will still answer any questions ya got) !!!

Ask us Beauty Directors about what’s the best skincare for You this week 4/3-4/9! We are looking forward to helping solve any confusion you may have!! 

3 Replies
testing