cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

Good afternoon if there's any way that I can send a picture of my face to any professional person to tell me what color of Huda Foundation I can use. I used a sample that they gave me from Sephora Fenty Beauty in the number 240 but for some reason it seems like it is a little off so I just want to see if I can try taking a picture of my face and someone helping me figure out what foundation number works for me. I would really appreciate it thank you

@Shortycaro its rather difficult to shade match to a foundation with only a picture unfortunately . lighting in an image can drastically change the way skin looks.  the Fenty foundation is full coverage as is the Huda and you really want to be correctly shade matched or it will show with that type of foundation. in terms of the Fenty shade that you have, how is it off? is it too yellow? too pink? too dark? etc...

I have Becca Ultimate Coverage 24hr Foundation in the shade buttercup. The first two months I had used it, it was amazing. Felt great on my skin, blended well! I usually had pretty dry skin. I had started a new skin care routine and skin is not as dry anymore. I would say my T-zone is relatively oily, but I also have some dry spots as well(so I think I am combination now)  Unfortunately, the foundation looks so powdery on my skin...and I haven't used any powder. It settles into really fine lines on my forehead and just doesn't blend with anything. I have tried to hydrate my skin more or put more primer, I tried setting spray and even a setting powder but nothing helps! I am getting really frustrated because it is no longer giving me the feeling of "looking pretty" when I attempt to put my makeup on. I don't use a lot of foundation, I like a nice medium to full coverage. I have a lot of important events coming up and I need to find a new foundation. Are there any suggestions for a new foundation? 

@Boo17 hmmm... well it definitely sounds like you are more combination skin with what you described. tho, the Becca foundation shouldn't look powdery on combo skin especially if it was good when your skin is dry. But, it is a more natural finish foundation and if you have become more oily it may move around a bit more. first off, don't forget if your skin changes there is change you may need to change your foundation as well as primer also. so be certain you are using the correct primer now as well. maybe try priming with Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Standard Size - 1 oz/ 30 mL. then for foundation i would say try either DIOR - BACKSTAGE Face & Body Foundation, or NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation Punjab - Medium 1both are long wear , natural soft matte foundations that work great on combo skin like you seem to have. 

Brush Heaven!!!Brush Heaven!!!

Hope you’ve all had a chance to check out the new Sephora Collection Pro Brushes!!! I’m so happy with these new beauties ( now they are all vegan ) !! If your curious about them feel free to ask us any questions , and there is a whole conversation thread on community about them that is definitely worth checking out!! 

I have dark blue eyes and was wondering if grey and navy eyeliner would work for my eye color.  In terms of the type of eyeliner I am looking for, I like liquid/ felt tip eyeliners with a thin tip.  Also, when I apply eyeliner I have no trouble with applying it until I get to the end of my eye.  If I do not want to do a cat eye, how do I end the line of the eyeliner? Also, whenever I try and do a small cat eye, they are always uneven. 

@amaghrebia yes you can use blue or grey eyeliner with blue eyes . now it won't really make you eyes look extra blue but it still will look beautiful. colors that are warm like browns and brick tones are going to make blue eyes look even more blue because of the contrast or warm colors around the cool blue eye tone. 

now to end your liner without creating a cat eye you can simply stop at the end of the upper lash line, you don't need to wing a liner always.if your liner is thick you can create a slight slant to finish it off cleanly.

Hi, im 35 and am starting to notice fine lines around my eyes. Currently, my skin routine is non-existent. I don’t wash my face before bed, exfoliate or anything. The only thing I do is put moisturizer with spf in it on in the morning. I don’t have acne or breakouts, so I’m hesitant to start doing a whole lot or spending a lot, but realize I should probably wash my face at night and apply some kind of serum to help with the fine lines. What do you recommend? My face is pretty normal- not dry or oily. 

thanks!

@kristi831 to be honest, there is no right or wrong when it comes to skincare becuase we all have different needs for our unique skin. as we start to age , and we all do, that's usually when we look more into skincare to help. but i agree that if you don't use alot then i don't want to tell you start using a 15 step routine becuase it may cause your skin to react. so lets start super easy. you should have a cleanser, and a gentle one, i recommend Farmacy Clean Bee Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser 5 oz/150 mL, this is gentle and effective. now if you aren't wearing makeup daily , then use like half a pump to start (basically a small amount ) it will still clean but again, not going from zero to 60 so to speak. then i recommend a good moitsurizer that will target concerns like fine lines and wrinkles , try Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL, peptides are the building blocks of collagen and elastin , they can help your skin fight the signs of aging effectively . finally i do recommend exfoliation , as its probably one of the most important steps in skincare to retain youthful skin. i think a once weekly exfoliator?peel would be good for you to start using . CAUDALIE - Glycolic Peelis a great at home facial you can do once a week or twice a month, to really remove all the dead layers of skin and boost cellular turnover which brings the younger fresher skin to the surface. this will show instant results and really help your overall skin appearance. 

I’m about to turn 51 and I’ve noticed that I’m beginning to sag at my jawline (jowls) and under my eyes just a little.  I think under my eyes mainly comes from years of contact insertion, because it’s more one eye than the other.  I guess it’s time to start taking better care of my skin.  I do use a moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid (Neutrogena Hydroboost) and Olay Regenerist Eye cream.  Can you suggest something inexpensive under $50 that helps with tightening the skin around the jawline?  Serum?  Cream?  Any tips or tricks would be helpful

46A464FD-74A9-467A-B0EA-A14C143C63C1.jpeg

@Printzss yes i can definitely help, IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Neck Cream 2.6 oz/ 80 mLis great for targeting that area with what it needs to firm up. also ingestables are great for skin firming, collagen is key to firm skin but it is a very large molecule that can't easily pass through the skin , so internal absorbtion can reveal amazing results to your skin overall, with  more plump firm effects, HUM NUTRITION - Collagen Love Skin Firming Supplementis great for this. another route is overnight sleeping balms and masks. at night your skin is in its reparative state, so it is working to heal and refresh itself, during this time you can really benefit from using specific targeted skincare to boost results to any concerns Farmacy Sleep Tight Firming Night Balm 1.7 oz/ 50 mLis a great product you can use on face and neck to really boost the results while you sleep !!

Thank you so much for your response.  Now I have to work on my hooded eyes, which have just gotten more hooded with age, and I’m working with the Olay regenerist eye cream for my under eye.  I’ve been using it for about 2 months, but results aren’t great.

I need help choosing an HOURGLASS highlighter and blush. I cannot go into the store to try them due to Covid. What colors would work best on fair skin?

Additionally, what Kevin Aucoin sensual skin shade is the best for light/fair skin?

I have more of a pink undertone than yellow.

@emilywinter23 so i can help with the Hourglass options , so i would say for a powder try Hourglass Ambient® Strobe Lighting Powder Incandescentin 'Incandescent' , or they have an amazing cream highlighter that i think is incredible Hourglass Vanish™ Flash Highlighting Stick Champagne Flashin 'Champagne' , then for blush try HOURGLASS - Ambient Lighting Blush Collection - Mood Exposure its a gorgeous natural soft nude/berry shade that works amazing on fair skin.

for the Kevyn Aucoin id need to see your skin to choose a shade as they have alot of shades and it is a full coverage product so you want to be as close as you can to your shade.

Anonymous Insider

Hello, 

I like the Drunk Elephant brand and have been trying instead of my Clarins for mature skin.  Not certain which DE moisturizer would be more suited for my age skin.  I need one for day and night.  I am using the DE Framboos right now.  Thank you! 

@MariTF  the Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mLis perfect for mature skin, highly moisturizing and nourishing. it is the product that sky rocketed the brand into cult status ! you will love it!!

Anonymous Insider

Thanks!  Will give it a try.  One more question.  To give it an added boost for more youthful skin which oil would you suggest to layer in?  

@MariTF i am really loving the Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil with Squalane and Antioxidants 1 oz / 30 mlfor intense hydration ,vitamin C,  omega fatty acids, and the beautiful glow it gives your skin. it would pair very well with the LaLa whipped Moisturizer!! 

Hi everyone 🤗 so I had a question about ambient light powders from hourglass.  I have been using luminous light for a while but a)I am not sure if I should be putting it all over my face b) if I am putting it on correctly.  I have also been debating if i should get a mini palette to try out other powders in the ambient powder collection but a) im not sure which one to get b) I am not sure how to apply them.  Just a bit about me: I only use tinted moisturizer and concealer under my eyes, I like to keep my make up look simple and my skin tone is medium 

@amaghrebia with these powders there is no right or wrong way to use them. they are created in a way that allows them be used as needed by individuals. so if your really oily lets say , you could use them more on the high points of the face as a type of highlight but they are still soft enough that someone oily could apply them all over the face for a general soft glow. that is why i love them so much. i do feel that the palette is worth it because the variances in the powders can adjust to your skin. 'Radiant Light' can be a soft bronzing , 'Dim Light' creates a filter like look on the face. and one of the best options is to sweep your brush over all three shades and apply that way, it works amazing!! Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Palette Volume I

thank you so mich for the advice! 

2 Replies
testing