cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

@LayanAgha  

Thank you so much for reaching out on here!! I have just the right products that are sensitve skin, fragrance free and great for your skin to help keep it looking plump and youthful! (crulety free as well) 

1- The Outset Gentle Micellar Antioxidant Cleanser 5 oz / 150 mL  - Am and Pm

2.- The Outset Firming Vegan Collagen Prep Serum 1 oz / 30 mL   Am and PM

3.- The Outset Smoothing Vitamin C Eye + Expression Lines Cream 0.5 oz / 15 mL   Am and PM - For undereye and expression lines.

4 - The Outset Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL  AM

5. The Outset Restorative Niacinamide Night Cream 1.7 oz / 50 mL   PM only after your eye cream and serum.

There is also a The Outset Daily Essentials Starter Set   for travel!

To repair the skin barrier, you want to simplify what you are using with your skincare routine! This will be a great start for you!! The formulas are specially designed to work with sensitive skiin and hydrate as help repair the skins barrier with niacinamide and hyaluronic acid.

Hello, the last 10 years my skin has been red and flaky(I’m 35). I’ve been trying different foundations and primers recently but no matter what it clumps to the flakes and it just doesn’t look good. I also have some dark and uneven spots. I was thinking of getting the MILK primer. Basically I need to relearn an entire skin care routine and makeup application. I would like to be able to help my daughter in a few years with her make, she’s 11. So cleanser, moisturizer, serums, primer, foundation, blush, highlighters, whatever else for skin care and makeup foundation. I know it’s a lot. I’d rather get professional advice and quality products than to keep wasting my money experimenting. TYSM

Hi @JenniferMarie87 ,

Welcome and thank you for joining this thread. Based on some information you have provided, here are some of my recommendations for you.

Skincare:

- For cleanser, I recommend Skinfix Barrier+ Foaming Oil Hydrating Cleanser 6 oz/ 177 mL this is a lightly foaming sulfate-, fragrance-, and essential oil-free cleanser that removes dirt and makeup without stripping lipids from skin.

- To help with uneven skin tone and texture, I recommend SEPHORA COLLECTION Glow Peel Pads with AHA + PHA 65 Pads - this has an AHA and PHA peel pad to eliminate pore-clogging residue and dead skin cells for smoother, more radiant-looking skin.

- I recommend Tower 28 Beauty SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray 4 oz/ 120 mL This helps to calm and minimize any irritation, flare ups, and redness. Spray on the skin after cleansing before your skin care routine.

- I also recommend using Tower 28 Beauty SOS Intensive Redness Relief Serum 2 oz / 59 mL This is a pH balancing serum that will control. It contains Hypochlorous Acid that is naturally produced by the body's immune system as a first line of defense to fight the appearance of redness and defend against bad bacteria. When applied topically, it soothes, purifies, and cares for sensitive or stressed skin—leaving it looking clear, soft, and healthy (according to the brand).

- For moisture, I recommend Skinfix barrier+ Strengthening and Moisturizing Triple Lipid-Peptide Refillable Cream with B-L3 - This is ultra-hydrating and is a good prep moisturizer for makeup

Makeup:

- Tatcha The Liquid Silk Canvas: Featherweight Protective Primer 1.0 oz / 30 mL - Great primer for dry skin types and will not create too much texture

- Kosas Revealer Skin-Improving Foundation SPF25 with Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide  - This a skin-reviving, SPF treatment foundation that blends like a second skin with a natural dreamy finish to blur, visibly smooth texture, and minimize pores

- Tower 28 Beauty BeachPlease Lip + Cheek Cream Blush After Hours - Awesome multi use products to add back color and it contains aloe vera for hydration and soothing

- Saie Glowy Super Gel Lightweight Dewy Multipurpose Illuminator - this is an illuminating gel-based luminizer made of 75 percent water that can be mixed with skincare, foundation, or worn alone for a fresh, dewy look

Let us know how this products work for you!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

I'm not a pro, @JenniferMarie87 that's a long time for your skin to be red and flaky. Do you suffer from eczema? Have you seen a dermatologist about it? If you have eczema you want to go for sensitive-skin products that don't have fragrance or alcohol. Skinfix, Vanicream, Cerave, Cetaphil, La Roche Posay, all make products geared towards sensitive and eczema prone skin. You definitely want to add products slowly into your routine so you don't aggravate it further. However, if you haven't been to a dermatologist, I'd recommend that first if possible.

I’m not a pro, but I have dry, sensitive skin & occasional eczema outbreaks. You need a gentle exfoliant for face to remove flakes & create a smooth canvas for your makeup. I’ve tried many but my faves get discontinued. My current one isn’t sold at #Sephora or Ulta. For foundation, either MAC or #Anastasia, light to medium coverage. I use #Skinfix to cleanse/ moisturize & I love it; have products for acne skin too. Foundation: MAC or #Anastasia, light to medium coverage. I prefer the “no makeup” makeup look. Good luck!I’m 58!!I’m 58!!

I read quite a lot of interesting information on this forum. With that in mind, I also ordered botox products for my appearance. I bought botox on the website and I was satisfied with the result. Thanks to the active substance hyaluronic acid, my skin became smooth and young.

@Kimbo614  You are stunning!

I have these spots under my eyes. I believe they are cholesterol deposits but I get different answers from different doctors.

None the less, they ignore my dislike for them.

I don't wear makeup but was looking for something to possible cover them up some so they don't stand out so much.

When I awake in the morning, there are nearly none showing and if any are, they are super small. After being up an hour they start to surface.

Is there a simple, not to expensive way to conceal, get rid of or hide them? I have included a picture

I also included a picture of my mouth and was curious if you know how to get rid of the small marionette lines above the lip and below it? TIA

20221012_164746.jpg20221012_163449.jpg

not an expert @JEART, but you could try mixing in a little bit of concealer with eye cream to try and hide the uneven coloring and brighten the overall area? If you brighten the inner corners, it'll make the eye go toward that area and not focus on the spots as much. As for the lines, filler or botox might be your best bet. Skincare only does so much unfortunately. There might be some improvement but odds are they wouldn't go away completely.

hi, I’m looking for a vitamin c serum. I’m in my 60’s with dry skin. Thank you….Sally 

@albion  Thank you so much for reaching out to us on this thread! We just got back from some travel and are here to help with your vitamin C needs!  I would suggest Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Vitamin C Lactic 15% Firm & Bright Serum 1 oz / 30 mL 

This serum is clean at Sephora and is going to target all of your major concerns Dullness, uneven texture, good for of firmness, good for dark spots as well.This is good for dry skin. Just make sure you follow with a moisturizer and SPF during the day.

Check out Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Deep Hydration Moisturizer  ! This would be a wonderful option for am and pm after your serum.

For sun protection I recommend Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

Hope this is helpful for you!

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Ooo pretty

I saw a code the other day for 500 points with a $75 purchase. Is the code still valid and what is it? Thanks 

@furgirlmom details are below but it ended on 9/13. 

224171F5-2CB7-48DA-BF77-DA1F88F876CF.jpeg

The promo was you would get 500 bonus points to your beauty insider account when you made a $75 or more purchase. I believe yesterday was the last day you could have used it. Hope this helps!

Have oily skin and am looking for a good anti aging cream. Any suggestions?

@LilMitz  

Hi there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out on this thread. I did some research for you and I have two that I want to show you! These two formulas differ slightly because of concerns. They both will work for oily skin! Hopefully this helps you!

1) DAMDAM Mochi Mochi Luminous Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 1.8 oz / 50 g 

What it is: A hydrating moisturizer with Japanese shiso leaves and powerful antioxidants for skin like mochi—soft and plump-looking with a satin finish.

Skin Type: Normal, Dry, Combination, and Oily 

Skincare Concerns: Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Dryness, and Loss of Firmness and Elasticity

Formulation: Rich Cream

Highlighted Ingredients:
- Shiso Leaf: A variety of Japanese mint that delivers antioxidants and omega-3 oils while restoring moisture. 
- Phytic Acid: An AHA in Japanese rice that visibly boosts elasticity, shrinks pores, and evens skin tone. 

Ingredient Callouts: This product is vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.

2) Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 

Which skin type is it good for?
✔ Normal
✔ Oily
✔ Combination
✔ Sensitive 
What it is:
An oil-free, anti-aging water cream that releases a burst of skin-improving Japanese nutrients, powerful botanicals, and optimal hydration for poreless-looking skin. 
Solutions for: 
- Dryness 
- Pores 
- Dullness and uneven texture 
If you want to know more…
The Water Cream provides nutrient-rich, balanced hydration with the unique water-burst that breaks upon application to deliver nourishment without leaving skin sticky or greasy. It clarifies and refines skin with pure, powerful Japanese botanicals: Japanese wild rose visibly tightens pores and smooths skin texture; Japanese leopard lily helps control excess oil and purify skin by supporting natural skin turnover; and hadasei-3—an anti-aging trinity of green tea, rice, and algae—restores healthy-looking radiance. The formula imparts a subtle, shine-free glow with a touch of 23-karat gold. 
What else you need to know:
Beauty icons for over 300 years, geisha adopted Japanese wild rose to create a refined, poreless-looking canvas underneath their makeup. The Water Cream has harnessed this potent botanical to honor the original makeup lover. This pure formula is noncomedogenic, non-irritating, non-sensitizing, dermatologist tested, and cruelty-free. It is formulated without mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, urea, DEA, or TEA. 
Beauty that gives back: every Tatcha purchase you make supports girls’ education around the world. Tatcha is proud to partner with Room to Read to transform girls’ futures.—Victoria Tsai, Founder

Hi,

I have very dry and sensitive skin. I need an easy 3 step AM and PM skin care routine to make my dull dry skin look good but also with cruelty free products which are harmless on sensitive skin. I'm a new mom and might need something for under my eyes and anti ageing too.

Thanks!

@SriAtSeph 

Thank you so much for reaching out on here!! I have just the right products that are sensitve skin, fragrance free and great for your skin to help keep it looking plump and youthful! (crulety free as well)

1- The Outset Gentle Micellar Antioxidant Cleanser 5 oz / 150 mL - Am and Pm

2.- The Outset Firming & Plumping Vegan Collagen Prep Serum 1 oz / 30 mL  Am and PM

3.- The Outset Smoothing Vitamin C Eye + Expression Lines Cream 0.5 oz / 15 mL  Am and PM - For undereye and expression lines.

4. The Outset Restorative Niacinamide Night Cream 1.7 oz / 50 mL  PM only after your eye cream and serum.

There is also a The Outset Daily Essentials Travel Set  for travel!

Hope this is helpful for you to get started! YOu will love these products and how simple the routine is.

Hi ElizaPRO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest these. But don't you recommed a moisturizer after the serum? 

1,173 Replies
testing