Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule 

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.21.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with (a) your standout or favorite products this month; (b) products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; (c) products that repeatedly find their way inito your makeup looks; or (d) all of the above. OR, treat the "On Repeat" theme as an opportunity for a "Do Over" or "Take 2" of a previous makeup capsule, from earlier in the month or any of the themes to date.

Week 23 (June 3 - 9) - The Equal Love Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
Let's curate a capsule of one or more products from LGBTQ+ founded/owned makeup brands to honor Pride Month. This section will be updated with a list of LGBTQ+ founded/owned beauty brands (please note this is a non-exhaustive list and is focused on makeup brands).

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multitasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous _missjeanie for the repurposed theme. 

Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@ather and onto my loves list it goes!  That's exactly what I was hoping you'd say!  

I was wondering the same thing as @missjeanie about the highlighting balm @ather. Also adding it to my list. My list is sure getting longer and longer, and it's only Day 7 of the new year. 😆

@itsfi Just means we're learning and discovering new things!!  That's a good thing!  We've probably added more to our 'I don't need that' lists!

So true @missjeanie, Excellent outlook! I’m happy to say I had a few things in different carts but ended up passing on them. <<pats self on back>>

@itsfi  You are doing great! Day 7 but almost day 8!!! It is a great one! I also love using it on a no makeup day to add a little depth to my skin!!! 

I spent the last week thinking on how I could be a part of the challenge knowing full well I'm never going to have a capsule collection.  That said, I work off a capsule of my collection every few weeks.  I tend to try and rotate some of my products every few weeks into a box in my washroom where I get ready.  That said, I can also get lazy and only rotate out products when a new one comes into my life.  I'm going to try and do more shopping my stash this year and have more thoughtful purchases through the year so that I can hopefully accumulate less.  All that said, I'm going to try and use this thread as a motivator to rotate weekly and use the themes to try use some products I wouldn't normally reach for anymore simply due to having too much (I'm lookin' at you lip products). 

415046530_1099745201183435_6171596230897701448_n.jpg

Easy Winter Collection

Spoiler

-Smashbox Primer - This is easy to use as it's just a quick spritz.  Doesn't get much easier.

- The Bobbi Brown Mini Vitamin Enriched Face Base Primer Moisturizer 0.50 oz/ 15 mL  is a great one for me with winter starting to set in and a possible snow storm this week.

- The MUFE powder is an older one and it's pretty close to being done.  I'm going to focus on this to try and polish it off in the next few weeks.  I've used MUFE powders for ... a long time... and they've always been easy to use for me, no matter what I use for base.

- Too Faced Dew You foundation is my project pan foundation and I'm hoping that mixing it with the BB Face Base I'll find a way to make it work for my skin.

- MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation is one that really falls into the easy category.  I can draw it right on to my face and blend out super quickly.  

- Natasha Denona Hy-Glam Brightening & Hydrating Medium to Full Coverage Crease Proof Serum Concealer ...  is such an easy product for me.  It just blends like a dream and wears so well that I don't have to think about it.  It is however only coming into play if I finish up my Dior.

- Dior Backstage Concealer 3W was a lovely product, but it's so dang close to being done that I want it finished.  Since I know this concealer, I know what I'll get with it and I know that if I'm not wearing foundation I can get away with this blending well into my skincare. 

- Bobbi Brown Under Eye Corrector is one that has always been easy to use.  It's a bit of a go to product for me so I know that I like it, but I'm rotating it in since I've let it sit aside for newer products of late.

- Summer Fridays Blush Balm Stick is one that is relatively new to me, but really works for winter as I prefer a cream product on my dry skin and I know this one blends super quick, making it very easy.

412431000_862065238934313_4026305599618113970_n.jpg

Spoiler
These are the products I may focus on for a capsule going forward, Eyes and Lips, maybe cheeks... tbd on this.
- The Gxve palette is my project pan so it's going to be in my week.  Very much what I call a basic palette.  It should mix with others easily.
- The ND Mini Love was picked mostly for the second and fourth shade.  A little shimmer and a little mauve.  I'm thinking these will mix with the Gxve easily enough and still give me some pinks that I love. 
-The Nars Pro Prime is a long time love, so I know it well.  This tube is getting old and I'd kind of forgotten I had it open.
- The Joe Fresh Eyeliner is a pan item as well.  I used it five days a week all last year and at this point I could use it blindfolded.
- The Stila lip liner is one that is so close to being done.  
- The Body Shop lip liner is moving in only once the Stila is done.  
- Kiehl's Lip oil is a project pan item that I hope lives in my pocket all week.
- YSL Vinyl Lip Stain.  I used to use these alllll the time.  Hoping to get some use out of it again.
- Nars Velvet Lip Glide in Le Main Bleue.  I'm feeling the bright bold berry on this one.  I find it's an easy shade to make 'a look' and that it looks great in the winter light. 
- Lastly is an Ulta tinted lip oil in a super easy to wear mauve shade.  

414477832_342916708508378_1659855443739785229_n.jpg

Spoiler
These are my 'bonus' content... I try to keep to only one or two open mascaras and brow products.  So they won't change until I'm all done with them.  The masks are going into my capsule box to remind me to mask twice this week. 

Still thinking on how to best do this for me, but I'm going to start here and see how it goes. 

I sort of have a similar approach as you @missjeanie I have the makeup items pulled out that I use daily and rotate things in as I feel like it. 😉  Instead of a box my area is a little shelf. 

I think using this experiment to help use up your Lippies is a good idea, that's going to help you move through them for sure. 

@CynthieLu I think I get overwhelmed with the lipsticks so just use the same ones over and over until something new arrives and I tend to forget about the older ones.  Hoping to spread some love this year!

There were a lot of oooohhhh's and aaaaahhhh's coming from my mouth when I saw your capsule for this week @missjeanie😍 I would be happy shopping this stash; so many great beauties! 

Ummm, wondering what shade that Summer Fridays blush is? Errrr ,,, asking for a friend.

asking for a friend gif.gif

@itsfi It's Pink Skies?  I just went on their website to double check that... why are they only 5.60$???  I might need to buy more.  

Did you pick up any before they sold out @missjeanie

No..... @itsfi I think I stumbled upon a fake website when I looked it up on my phone yesterday.  It seemed too good to be true and when I looked at their real site last night.... I decided they were not getting my credit card information lol!

@missjeanie  Great job!! I know how hard it can be to pick a few things and stick with it. Happens to me when I travel and I feel like I need to pack everything!!! Nice to hear you are loving the SF blush! It’s one of my go to! 

@ather It's hard to figure out how to mix in my panning project with this one.  I do a full face at least five days a week so I need at least one item in each category for me... it just still looks like a lot!

@missjeanie im planning on (at least attempting) to incorporate my pan project with this challenge by including one item from my pan project into the capsule, if possible. Some weeks may not work out, or be a stretch on the theme, but im thinking it will help keep some of those products in rotation while also using some other things already in my collection, so that i dont end up with the same looks every time i go to use a pan project product

@cianni That's a great idea!  Keeps both projects working together and keeping things fun!

The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule ☃️

3F435913-7887-413C-B099-C835C87701EE.jpeg

I picked some products for a more natural look -effortless-

Products:

Spoiler
GUERLAIN Meteorites Setting & Finishing Pearls of Powder   (Happy Glow which is a limited edition from few years ago) I use this as a fixing powder everyday.

•Clarins powder brush

Laura Mercier Secret Concealer
Luminous & moisturizing + easy/fast to apply (with fingers!)

NUDESTIX Magnetic Eye Color Nudity 
For a quick and long lasting color

MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Resist Waterproof Eyebrow Definer Pencil 

NARS Blush Deep Throat 
For a natural color

•Chanel rouge coco shine #48 évasion (discontinued) A sheer lipstick that is very moisturizing

@Lila12345678 - I have a container of LE Guerlain Meteorites from a numbers of years ago.  I don't remember the name, but I absolutely love them!  Unfortunately they're almost gone. 😔

@Lila12345678  Great picks! Can’t wait to see your looks! 

@Lila12345678 I've always heard such good things about Nudestix, especially how quick and easy they are to use!  Great selection here. 

@missjeanie 

I usually prefer to use powder eyeshadows but when I’m in a hurry this Nudestix crayon eyeshadow comes in handy.

1,535 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos306
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1