Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule   

It's that time again, BIC Beauties! Curate a capsule with (a) your standout or favorite products from the month; (b) products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; (c) products that repeatedly find their way inio your makeup looks; (d) all of the above... OR, treat the "On Repeat" theme as an opportunity for a "Do Over" or "Take 2" of a previous makeup capsule, from earlier in the month or any of the previous themes to date (see below for complete list).

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.27.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 23 (June 3 - 9) - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule
Let's curate a capsule of one or more products from LGBTQ+ founded/owned makeup brands to honor Pride Month. Check out the spoiler below ⬇️ for a non-exhaustive list of LGBTQ+ founded/owned beauty brands focused primarily on makeup / color cosmetics.

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multitasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous @missjeanie  for the repurposed theme. 

Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

LGBTQ+ Founded/Owned Makeup Brands:
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of LGBTQIA+ founded/owned beauty brands that primarily include makeup / lor cosmetics in their collection.  An asterisk (*) next to a brand name denotes that the brand is available at Sephora.

about face (Halsey)
Flower Beauty (Drew Barrymore)
Formula Z Cosmetics (Zach Dishinger)
* Freck Beauty (Nasera Alayon)
Jason Wu Beauty
Jecca Blac
Kevyn Aucoin Beauty
KimChi Chic Beauty
* Makeup by Mario
* One/Size by Patrick Starrr
* Patrick Ta Beauty
Tanais
* Tom Ford Beauty
Trixie Cosmetics
W3ll People

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.27.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

All are invited to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. I'm excited to see what results from this experiment. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

This capsule highlights something that's so important @itsfi I had to jump back in. I love this focus and your choice for this week's challenge. 🙏

Make-up for me really is a feel good time. Celebrating my skin and my own unique self *and* having fun with products that make me feel good. 😄💙 It's a wonderful thing!

For this theme I chose:

1000018387.jpg

My besties for brows, lashes and lips. They are my tried and true. 

Clairns 4D mascara in Brown

Any of TF's lippies agre with my dry skin, but this one is specifically everyday gorgeous.  TOM FORD Lip Color Lipstick 01 Insatiable (and it's a pleasure to wear. )

Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow+ Volumizing Fiber Eyebrow Pencil 3 

A make me feel good palette was the Natasha Denona I Need a Nude Eyeshadow Palette. This is a lovely palette in everyway. 🩷 

SPF that's no fuss no muss and can take the place of my skin tint is Dr. Jart+ Cicapair ™ Tiger Grass Camo Drops Color Corrector SPF 35 1 oz/ 30 mL very light and comfortable on my skin, feeling heavy isn't a fun time and this capsule is all about feeling good.

If my skin is extra dry, using Danessa Myricks Beauty Yummy Skin Glow Serum with Hyaluronic Acid & Niacinamide Juice Boost is a quick fix with a little glow 🌟 Its like a good mood boost for my skin. 😉

A last all day blush that I just tap on with my fingers and blend at edges for a quick easy look, that's the creamy side of PATRICK TA Major Headlines Double-Take Crème & Powder Blush Duo She's Blushing 💓

And it fits! 

1000018386.jpg

If anyone out there is going through a hard time, you are not alone. 💙 I hope you can reach out to a friend, family member, or a help line.💙 There are people out there who genuinely care about you 🌈 you are amazing!

@CynthieLu  Great capsule! Your comment about celebrating your unique self is exactly how I do makeup! I remember being a kid and my mom took me for a haircut at the mall where she owned a store and the lady cutting my hair told my mom who had no makeup on that she looked like a lady who owned a store here. My mom didn’t tell her that it’s actually her. 

Thank you for sharing that story @ather that's a good memory, and relatable. 😉 Like, sometimes with our without makeup you can almost feel like a different person and that story just hits it like nail.on.head. I guess you can get mistaken for almost a different person. Your mom played it cool. 😎

@CynthieLu, Natasha Denona eyeshadow palettes are lovely; some of my favorites.

Same here 😉 @itsfi I remember discovering ND sooo late and wow, I was seriously missing out. Lol

@CynthieLu  love your picks for this capsule! The Yummy Skin serum sounds really nice, I would love to try it sometime. I agree with you, makeup for me is a kind of self care. It helps me feel confident and good about myself, and it's just fun to play with 😉

Thank you lovely lady! @caitbird 💘 

So fun too play with 😉 and it's lovely to have a place like BIC where we can all share and discuss the fun beauty things. In real life, not everyone gets it like we do 😂😅

@CynthieLu  I agree 💯, I'm so glad I found BIC and got to know all the wonderful BIC beauties! I don't really have anyone IRL I can talk to about beauty, so it's awesome to be able to be part of this community! 💜 💞

You have all of us now @caitbird 💗 Anytime you want to discuss beauty things, we're in!  🫖

But, same here. I don't know anyone IRL who gets it like BIC does. Thankfully, we found this space. 🙏

Another Week 21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

21 - My Best Self 2.jpg

I decided to give this combination of products a spin yesterday. I really liked how everything performed, so it'll be a repeat of the same today and probably tomorrow as well.

Complexion:
* Pairing Etude Sunprise Mild Airy Finish SPF 50+ PA++++ with Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides adds a healthy warmth and glow to my complexion. This has been a combination I've used (and continue to go back to time and again) since summer/fall 2018. Both these products are 🐐🐐!

Gucci 24 Hour Full Coverage Luminous Matte Finish Foundation 275C - I forgot how well this works on my skin. Soft matte, soft glow. Good coverage, wears well, but no idea whether its 24 hour claim holds up. The color is more of a summer shade for me, but it can be made to work now, especially with layering the sunblock + D-Bronzi combo underneath and bringing that mixture down my neck to make the color work.

Gucci Brume de Beauté Beauty Mist 2.7 oz / 80 mL - another 🐐

Eyes:
* Makeup by Mario Master Mattes Brightening Pencil - Light 1 (discontinued) on the waterline has been my go-to for a few weeks now. I really like the way it opens and brighten up the eye area, making me look more awake than I might otherwise feel. It's a nice, quick & easy way to refresh a makeup look during the day.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 

Shiseido Eyelash Curler 

Cheeks:
Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Mini Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Hope - starting to gather the handful of RB items I have for a RB focused capsule this weekend, inspired by @danielledanielle's fabulous makeup capsule this week. I prefer these liquid blushes in the mini size - there's still a ton of product and considering how a little goes a long way, it will last me a looooong time, but it feels like I'm more likely to use up product than with the full size. 

Lips:
Tower 28 Beauty ShineOn Lip Jelly Non-Sticky Gloss Pistachio 

@itsfi  This is a beautiful picture! And I love this lineup! The Gucci mist bottle is so pretty! 😍 

@ather, thank you! This is probably a good representation of what a daily look would be for me in the warmer months, even if I wasn't working on putting together a makeup capsule. Ohhh, this Gucci mist! 😍 It's definitely earned its 🐐  standing.

@itsfi  some really nice items in this capsule! I thought about doing a kind of 🐐 makeup capsule for this past week, but ended up going in a different direction in the end. Still might have to do that capsule at some point in the future, though. I see your point about the RB liquid blush sizes - I kind of wish I had gotten the mini (except I'm not sure it was available when I bought mine), as I think the full size is likely to last me the rest of my life! 😂 How do you like the Tower 28 lip gloss? I've never tried it, but it's on my "to try at some point" list (which is very long, and getting longer all the time! 😅).

@caitbird, the mini RB blushes only came out recently, maybe in the last month or 2 months. 

Ooooh, an all 🐐 capsule? 😍 It would be fun to see what everyone’s capsule would look like and to hear why certain products are included in a capsule like that. 

Tower 28 has two different types of lip glosses - one glossy and shiny and one milky and creamy. I like both, depending on the look and feel I’m going for. I like the darker shades in the milky version; they show up better on my lips, which naturally have a little more pigment to them.

@itsfi  ah, that makes sense, I thought the mini blushes might be a more recent addition. Yes, I would love to see what would be included in everyone's 🐐 capsule, I think that would be so interesting!

I don't think I realized Tower 28 had 2 different types of lip gloss...off to do some more investigating 👀

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets tempted by your product descriptions. @itsfi. but I love reading them. 😄

Your presentation photo of your capsule this week is so elegant. Gucci's mist really stands out to my eyes. 

@CynthieLu , thank you. The Gucci mist is a fabulous product (this is my 3rd bottle) that brings back good memories. 

@itsfi  That Gucci foundation.  Ugh, there was a previous iteration of this I sampled with a primer and could never bring myself to get it here (trés 🫰🏼🫰🏼 ) and then it went POOF! This is a call to that one, and I'll just silently pine for it.  I'm very tempted to get this based on your feedback.  You temptress, always! 😂

@danielledanielle, I feel like we all go back and forth between secretly pining for a product and being the catalyst for ... inspiring others to look into something. Tempted. Temptress. We all play those roles interchangeably around here. 😂🤣😂

I don't know how I forgot about this one; well, that's not entirely true. I know partly why - so many other foundations to play with! 🤣 If you have a full coverage foundation that gives you a demi-matte, but fresh, lit from within radiance, I'd say, take your time with getting samples of shades for color-matching and to see how it wears, and then wait for a sale or multiplier event or a promo that interests you. But, if you don't have foundation similar to this one, then ... 

Week 21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

21 - My Best Self.jpg

I'll probably have a couple of different capsules this week. Meant to post this last night, but fell asleep before I got the chance. This is The “My Best Self” Makeup Capsule: The Quick & Easy Monday Morning Edit 😉

Mondays. They have a habit of creeping up on me way more quickly than I care for. 😂 I love how all these beauties go on quickly & pretty much effortlessly to give me a pulled together look, with a pop of fun a la the Gisou lip oil! 💋 This will probably be my go-to for a couple more days this week, including today (Tuesday). If allergies strike, it may just be the lash curler, or the lash curler and the eyeliner on my lower waterline.

Urban Decay Face Bond Self Setting Waterproof Foundation

MERIT Flush Balm Cream Blush Cheeky 

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick Golden Bronze 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 

Makeup by Mario eyeliner (discontinued) - I think this is the shade Light I or Nude - it's no longer available but there are similar products out there - used in my lower waterline, this helps to give my eyes that more open, awake, brightened look

Gisou Honey Infused Hydrating Lip Oil Strawberry Sorbet 

Shiseido Eyelash Curler Eyelash Curler 

@itsfi  gotta love quick and effortless makeup! One of these days I would love to figure out a more streamlined makeup routine that I can do in less time - I have my routine of tried-and-true products that I like in pretty much each category, but I would like to cut down on how long it takes me to do my makeup at least some of the time.

I have never tried an eyelash curler, interestingly. I have heard that the Shiseido is one of the best, though.

Would you say the Urban Decay foundation is your favorite base product these days? Or do you like different ones depending?

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos335
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1