Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.27.2024]

Spoiler
Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)
Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. OR show us what beauties you picked up during the Sephora Savings Event. Now's the time to play (or to keep playing) with that newness (and those beloved restocks) you hauled during the sale! 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@missjeanie, I tried to swatch the YSL powder for you and it seems that is a pretty good match for me. I picked up Shade 2. My recollection is that there is a translucent version and a Shade 1. on the fair - light end of the color range. 

Powders Lawless - YSL - SC.jpg

Powders 2.jpg

LAWLESS Skin-Smoothing Talc-Free Perfecting Powder Light has the fullest coverage of the three. The YSL powder is very finely milled. It gives good blurring effect. I have not tested the "resists sweat for 24 hours" claim. I may come up with an alternative to test that theory without having to actually wear the powderfor 24 hours or be sweating in it for all that amount of time. lol. Adding @blackkitty2014 

@itsfi While I do use a powder with coverage at times... I think translucent is going to be where I lean to.  I'm loving the words you're using here... mostly the blurring one lol.  I can't really think of a scenario where I'd need to wear make up for 24 hours let a lone while sweating for those 24 hours.  My odds of falling into some kind of real life action movie sequence are pretty low these days. 

Thx you for the swatches @itsfi 🌹 I’m eyeing YSL translucent and shade 1 as well. Though I need to look into Lawless too 😘

@missjeanie I'd collect more if I used single shadows more haha. What colors are you thinking about?!

@Samtian I want to say Shell, Rose and Halo were the ones I was eyeing up... I'm a fan of a 'one and done' eye look, so if they work well they could be a staple product for me.  I feel like I love to look at palettes but I end up using a small hand full of shades and usually only one or two at a time on a day to day basis.  

Oh man so many goodies to try on @itsfi . I’m waiting for that YSL powder to launch during the sale but it never did. Next sale then lol 😂 PS your luxe items look really good. I need to be more selective liked you 😘

@blackkitty2014, thank you. Hard to resist the luxe items, but I’m trying to get better at it, with everything, not just luxury products. And trying to be better at using them for more then just a few uses. You’re so good with that. Love seeing all your pan items and empty full size luxe makeup products. 😍#inspirational 

Ahhh, the YSL powder!!! I hesitated at first, because I don’t have a lot of luck with finding a good shade match for their base products other than their concealer pen. But the powder seems more forgiving. I like this one, and am glad I picked it up when it launched (though I would have liked it more if I got it on sale, lol). I may get the translucent one later, and maybe try a bronzer. Have you tried YSL’s bronzers? 

I think both YSL powder and bronzer are only available at Nordstrom at the moment. I was hoping they launched at Sephora but nope. I have them on my try on wish list though @itsfi (though I really don’t need any more bronzer nor powder) 😘

Oh, I was unclear @blackkitty2014; I meant to ask if you’ve tried any YSL bronzer before, not specifically the new one. 

@itsfi @it might be reader error 😂🤣 I’m relatively new to YSL. I tried their primer, lip shine and those new cute eyeshadow quads . So no I don’t have any experience with either powder and bronzer from them. 😘. Have Tom Ford not messed up their quality I probably still not venture out to other brands lol 😂 im always hesitate to try new products/brands 😘

Ahhh yes, I do like their primers, @blackkitty2014, and ohhh, those new quads are very nice - packaging and the shadows! I hear ya as well on bronzers; I don’t need more, but still intrigued by the YSL. We’ll learn about their bronzers together. Someone on BIC will surely give them a go. 😆 I’ll live vicariously through them. 

@itsfi Haha I love your various green themes. That Armani is good stuff!!!

Thank you @Samtian! I had fun with the different takes on “green” - it doesn’t just have to be about clean. 😆 Ohhh yes, Armani LSF is a must have for me. It’s been good to me over the years! 

@itsfi  great choices! So interesting to hear your thoughts on each item & your reasoning for choosing them ("now I have less green in my wallet" had me rofl 🤣). I love your pics (as always, you inspire me!) & how you incorporated some pops of green in them!

💜

Thank you @caitbird! Thats very kind of you to say. 

I had a good chuckle over the less green 💸💸💸 take on this week’s capsule. 😂 I have a good amount of products that I don’t reach for often or sometimes that I don’t even open. 😔 If I were a collector that would be one thing and it’d make sense but I’m not. I spent the 💴 on them so I should use them, right? Going to try to make that happen - shopping my entire stash during my low buy. 

Week 17: The "Green" Makeup Capsule - Days 1 thru 3

Okay, coming in with a mid-week check-in - my goodness, how is it already mid-week?!! 😦 Here are my "green" makeup capsules to date. Products with an asterisk (*) next to its name denotes a product I'm using for the first time with the capsule. 

Day 1 - Green = Clean at Sephora or as denoted by the brand. 

17 - Green - Day 1.jpg

We're going to pretend that the Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Mineral SPF 30 Refillable Moisturizer (that I used as primer) is really a part of my skincare routine that photobombed my capsule pic. That way I have 6 products to make another capsule for the Sephora Six - Fast & Furious Edition, which is where I'll post more detailed thoughts later tonight on the products used. As a teaser, this combination of beauties turned out pretty well and made for a quick & easy look. Exactly what I needed this past Monday. 

Spoiler

Day 2 - Green = packaging, product color/hue & Clean at Sephora

17 - Green - Day 2.jpg

Spoiler

💐  Primer - Dr. Jart+ Mini Cicapair Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 15 mL/ .50 fl oz  - green hued cream that neutralizes redness. Wears well alone or as a primer. 

❤️ Founation / Tint - Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish SPF 50+ PA+++, one layer by itself, followed by a layer mixed with Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides - this is my favorite way to use the D-Bronzi.

👁  Eyeshadow Primer - about face Shadow Fix Eye Primer* - not bad but I'm going to need to play with this more before deciding how I feel about it.

👁  Eyeshadow - Bobbi Brown Jadestone Eye Shadow Palette (limited edition) - this has some beautiful greens and browns. Swatches in spoiler below.

😍  Setting Spray - Soleil Toujours Clean Conscious Body Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C SPF 30-50 6 oz / 177 mL SPF 50  

🏵  Mascara - #SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 
 has really been performing beautifully. This is seriously giving my Lancôme Monsieur Big Waterproof and all my waterproof mascaras some solid competition. 

💋 Lips - yes, I had 2 lippies for the same day. One for the morning (Merit Lip Liner Bespoke (limited edition) and MERIT Shade Slick Classics Tinted Lip Oil Au Naturel)  and one for the afternoon ( Summer Fridays Dream Lip Oil for Moisturizing Sheer Coverage Blush Dreams😂 Both were great. I'm going to have a hard time whittling down my lipstick stash. 

Day 3 - Green = Clean at Sephora / Self professed clean beauty & one dirty product containing the color green 

17 - Green - Day 3.jpg

Spoiler
🌷  I wanted to test out the LAWLESS Skin-Smoothing Talc-Free Perfecting Powder as a powder foundation and not as a setting powder. Because my skin is really dry at the moment, I first applied the Farsali Skintune Perfecting Serum for its blurring and skin smoothing properties before applying the Lawless powder with the Sigma F80 Kabuki brush. Ohhh, the powder looked amazing. I'm working my way through MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation and when that's been used up, the Lawless will be one of my primary powder foundations in the rotation.

🌌  MILK MAKEUP Sculpt Cream Contour Stick - this is going to take some practice on my part but these types of sticks are generally easier to use. I just need to work on my blending.

🤔  I'm not sure this Iris & Romeo Ceramide Multi-Balm - Radiant Glow (can't seem to tag this) is best suited for my complexion. I'm on the fiar-to-light (maybe light-medium) side and this didn't show up on my skin no matter how hard I rubbed it in. I'm thinking this may not be long for my stash.

💄  MILK MAKEUP Odyssey Hydrating Non-Sticky Lip Oil Gloss Werk Trip is a beauty! 😍

Swatches of Bobbi Brown Jadestone Eyeshadow Palette (limited edition): 

Spoiler
BB Jadestone - palette.jpg
BB Jadestone - top.jpg
BB Jadestone - bottom.jpg

@itsfi what are your thoughts on the Isle of Paradise? I was tempted by them during the sale and then remembered I don't tan or get sun so skipped them lol

@itsfi I had a chuckle at your two lipstick looks in a day situation... I find myself in that same situation... oh... three times a week.  Maybe more.  I support making use of your lip collection like this.  #daytoafternoon #afteroontoevening #eveningtobed 

@itsfi I am definitely curious about the Sweed! 

@PrettyPaint, Sweed describes its Glass Skin Foundation as "A hybrid between skincare and foundation with a silky, elastic texture that feels comfortable and looks like a second skin." I think that's a fair assessment. The first few times I wore it, I was very suprised how much coverage it provided while still feeling lightweight and that it did give off a glass skin-like effect. I will say that my skin has been more dehydrated of late than normal and it's been eating my foundation. The Sweed is still there at the end of the day but it has more of a satin, demi matte finish than the dewy, glass skin effect immediately upon application. 

Coverage-wise, this is between a tint and a foundation, closer to the foundation side. I don't know if you've tried Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation - that's my HG tinted foundation and I think it has more coverage than a traditional tinted moisturizer (like NARS or LM) but a lot less than a foundation - Tower 28 would be between a tint and foundation but closer to the middle). My skin has been in the healing phase of a breakout. With the T28, I need 2 layers plus a fuller coverage concealer (like Haus Labs concealer). With the SWEED, I feel like I get a good amount of coverage with one layer. I might go over the areas where I've broken out with another layer and then use a concealer - a medium or even sheer-to-medium coverage would be fine in combination with the Sweed. 

SWEED 03.jpg

Sweed 03 is a little light for me at the moment - it's more my late-fall-winter-early-spring shade, but I can add some liquid bronzer to it or add bronzer to my face after applying the Sweed. It does oxidize slightly. Adding @ather since she also asked about the Sweed foundation. I do like this one. Will continue to use it to see if it's something I think I need in my collection given the other complexion products I have. I'll use it every now and again but will set it aside until the fall / winter to see how it performs when it's a better match for my skintone.

@itsfi Thank you so much for such a detailed description of the Sweed foundation. A silky and elastic texture sounds pretty neat. I definitely gravitate toward tinted moisturizers these days, though it doesn't look like this one contains SPF. 

By the way, I'm loving the microfiber face towels you posted a few weeks ago. I'm actually a little horrified at how poorly I had been cleaning my face, though, because the towels show any tiny bit of foundation I may have missed. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos287
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1