Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

So coming back from a 4 day weekend to such spectacular cruddy news I don't know how to contain myself. So we'll start with the least serious - Chanel lost my package that had a LE lippie in it. FEDEX delivered it to Amazon supposedly. They said they'd ship me out a new lippie, but it's been over an hour and I have yet to receive an email. Next up my senior Siamese is having digestive issues (I won't go into details) so I have had to dose him medication he hates. I'm worried about him as he is older and is on the smaller size weight wise because of his ongoing belly problems. I really hope this medication works and he can keep his food as his vet won't be back for another 3 days. And finally on the note of people with the mentality of "I do what I want to do darn anyone else and their health" my pregnant SIL went to her ginourmous family gathering almost 2 weeks ago over objections from my brother. She wasn't feeling well so my brother came over to my parent's house on Thursday where everyone that gathered (a total of 6 not including him) has been quarantined anyways because of lockdowns so it should have been a safe space. He stayed away (mostly) and brought their 3 year old son. I was told he would wear a mask which was the whole reason I agreed to come over - that did not happen (we knew she didn't feel well on Thursday and she thought it was allergies I want to point that out). What did happen was that he stayed away from the food as promised. I'm sure you can guess what I'm about to say next....Yup she has Covid. I am so extremely angry right now. Not only are you risking others (she came around my mother this last Wednesday who is currently fighting breast cancer) you are risking an unborn baby just so you can go see the 9,458,315,378 people you are related to even though your husband asked you please not to. She had the gall to post pics on Facebook with her and others with their arms around each other and faces smooshed together - WTF?!?!?!!?? I just can't - the level of absolute stupidity and selfishness of the human race. I'm waiting for my brother's test results (they won't test his 3 year old) and waiting to see what my Dr says as well. 

Sorry about the rant - it's just very frustrating to see people throw caution to the wind.

@niki172 I'm so sorry, waiting for test results is stressful. I sincerely hope no one else in your family has caught it.

@pocketvenus thank you. I really hope so too because it could mean hospitalization for 2 family members specifically due to their health 😓

@niki172 - OMG!  I don't know what to say!  I'm so sorry you're going through such a stressful time due to one person's stupidity!  Best wishes that you and the rest of your family are COVID free.  I'm also sorry your Chanal package disappeared.  Hopefully one or both packages will show up soon!  (((HUG)))

Thank you @Titian06 . The Chanel package is trivial, but it's one of those days when things pile on. I don't know what I'm going to do if she got my Mom or husband sick. I'm absolutely livid. 

@niki172 @Oh no! That all sounds really stressful!!!! I’m sorry your SIL did that - unfortunately some people just don’t believe there’s a problem until it happens to them! I’m sorry about your package as well - it’s so small but sometimes you just want something to make yourself feel better, not more stress 

@Kim888 thank you. I don't think my parents took this as serious as it is and now it's literally at their front door. Before this we only knew 1 person who had Covid and they worked in New York so you know far away "this isn't happening here" kind of a thing.

First: my deepest condolences to those of you who’ve lost loved ones this year, be they human or animal. ❤️I kinda feel like a jerk because I've avoided popping back into this thread to protect myself from my own anxiety disorder, instead of trying to offer any support to any of you here. Just know that I'm thinking of and feeling for each of you, more than you know. Well, "more than you know" unless you happen to be an empath (in psychological terms, aka an hsp—highly sensitive person) like me, in which case: holy crap, this year is 100% kicking the snot out of us, right? When I say I wish I could hug everyone in person (were we not in pandemic times), I mean it. 

I recently and unexpectedly lost an aunt, and I’m still kinda halfway in that numb “gonna wake up from this bad dream” mode about it. I scrolled through some of my old photos from cruises and one of her popped up, and I had a total meltdown. Like, slumped face-down on the floor bawling. I can’t even write this without crying while simultaneously thinking but it’s just a bad dream and I’ll wake up soon because nope, bleep this year for taking so much away from me and my family, and for taking away from each of you in this thread. I hate this year so much, I’m only half kidding each time I tell folks I still hope for that apocalypse I was supposed to get for my birthday in 2012 (remember when folks thought the world would end on 12/21/12? Haha, yeah...). I push through all this anger and sorrow, rationalize and shove it “away,” out of mental sight, where it joins an ever-growing pile of angst somewhere I can ignore it until its arm strikes out and grabs my ankle. I am so not okay. My therapist and I will have lots to discuss next time we meet. 

On a positive note: I think we’re really honest like seriously finally in official fall weather mode in Chicago—no more surprise summer weeks til April or May—and I hope folks around town who still refuse to wear a mask in public will soon realize the benefit of something conveniently keeping their faces warm outdoors. So much better than trying to keep a bulky neck scarf wrapped around your face! Plus, with a filter inserted in my masks, I can breathe much more easily when walking directly into strong winds! I’ve never been so excited for subzero weather to arrive! 🤣 

What else can I ramble about… another covid case was reported in my building this month. I think that’s case number 5 so far. Illinois as a whole is, of course, spiking in cases like many other parts of the country. This makes me even more anxious about people traveling for the holidays. I hate flying out of O’Hare in general, so I sure as heck wouldn’t wanna be there during a pandemic, but clearly that’s just me. I did hear that traffic at both airports is much lower than usual (thank goodness) but man, if I see one more interview with a traveler at O’Hare or Midway saying crap like “WoW tHeRe ArE mOrE pEoPlE hErE tHaN i ExPeCtEd,” wondering why all those people are at the airport—when, um, they are also at the airport 🤦‍♀️—I’m gonna flip a table. Don’t get me wrong: some people do have to travel for essential work purposes or medical emergencies/aftercare, but c’mon man. 

This winter’s going to be particularly rough in big cities where most of us rely on public transit to get anywhere we can’t easily walk to. CTA buses have returned to passenger limits: if the driver sees no empty rows on their bus, they run express until enough people get off the bus. Considering how many people normally cram into buses during winter, this is gonna be… interesting. I don’t even wanna think about what the el will be like, or how (if at all) CTA workers will enforce passenger limits on those trains. There’s gonna be a whole lotta cranky (eh, crankier) people here soon. 

Y’all stay safe, stay put unless travel is absolutely necessary, and stay sane—even if sanity comes only in the form of “it’s almost December, this crap year’s almost over, things HAVE to improve next year.” Yeah, I realize covid won’t magically disappear on NYE but, eh, just work with me here. IT WILL GET BETTER. Holidays suck without loved ones nearby (I'm in that boat too: all my immediate family members live many states away and I have no close family in town) but just imagine how wonderful it'll be to see them in person again when it's safe to do so. 💚

@WinglessOne I am so, so sorry your aunt passed away 😞 The losses keep piling up. Please take care of yourself, be gentle and patient, keep reaching out virtually if you can ❤️ We will be thinking of you and sending positive, healing vibes. Keep staying safe!! xo

@WinglessOne ,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt.

I really hear you!  Take good care of yourself!

@WinglessOne I'm sorry to hear about your aunt! I'm thinking of you and your family. 

You totally shouldn't feel bad about not coming on to the thread - it's such a hard time for everyone, especially with it getting dark earlier and lock downs happening again -  sometimes you just have to protect your own mental health 

@WinglessOne @I’m so sorry about your Aunt. This year has really sucked so bad and I feel

like it’s never going to end.

I feel so bad for my kids who are still very young and don’t understand what is going on. They can’t play outside with their friends and have a hard time keeping the masks on. They can’t have a normal childhood and it’s depressing. 

@WinglessOne Please accept my condolences for your aunt.  Thinking of you and yours!  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Thank you @greeneyedgirl107 ❤️ 

This year's been awful for many people in my "personal circle." Some of my friends have lost one or both parents, or siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles. I've had friends in quarantine or hospital with covid diagnoses. My immediate family members live in a southern state where waaay too many people refuse to do something as simple as wear a bleeping mask in public, let alone avoid gathering in large groups (at parties, bars, etc.), so I worry myself sick about my closest family daily, as well as the kids, relatives, and unwitting contacts of all those maskless strangers. Some of my loved ones have MS and other chronic illnesses that make them immunocompromised, and the last thing they need is to come into contact with the cooties of some selfish stranger. I don't want anyone else—not even total strangers—to lose loved ones this year to covid19 or anything else. I just want everyone to still have living breathing loved ones to see in person when this pandemic is finally under control. 

@WinglessOne You are so kind to be thinking about so many.  Take care!!!  xoxo

@sprocketta ,

I just heard a quote,  "It's better to have a Zoom Thanksgiving than an ICU Christmas!"

You were doing your best to protect your family's lives, and you protected many other people's lives at the same time.

Maybe next it will be, "It's better to have a Zoom Christmas than an ICU New Year!"

So yesterday was Thanksgiving and I did not fly home for it. It was the worst Thanksgiving of my life. The bright spot was seeing my best friend here who invited me over because she knew I was on my own. I didn't eat with her but we talked with masks on while she did some cooking and her husband kept their sons occupied. Her 3 year-old son joined us for a while and was very happy about the cookies I brought them. I got to try some southern Thanksgiving items and it was interesting to see how someone else does their own holiday. I felt very grateful for her.

I had a zoom call with my family later in the evening. I had gotten them presents that they were excited about, but it was mostly just depressing. Everyone looked unhappy. They were all wearing masks because my sister is on dialysis and very vulnerable and they chose to get my parents and sister's households together. They kept talking about how the day didn't feel right without me. I mostly just shopped online after the call.

I feel so down today. I am excited about presents I have found for people but seeing how Thanksgiving felt I am not looking forward to Christmas by myself. I was watching a show on Netflix, Holiday Home Makeover with Mr. Christmas, and it was great to see over the top decorations. I watched one episode and it was too much to watch another thinking about what I will miss. My heart goes out to everyone who is missing spending the holidays with their family. Just writing this post has made me cry. 

@sprocketta you can come over to my house for Christmas if you'd like! After what happened at Thanksgiving I don't think we're going anywhere either. I'm so sorry you felt lonely as no one wants to feel that especially during the holidays, but I am glad that you had a nice visit with your friend. Maybe we all can really have Christmas in July this year! The wind chill is in it's 20's right now with nasty sleet/rain so a nice day in the 80's with a tree sounds fantastic to me. ((hug))

@niki172 thank you. I appreciate that. So many people traveled, including someone I work with but I'm working from home.

@sprocketta @Im sorry to hear you had a tough thanksgiving! The holidays are really tough when you can’t go home! 

2,509 Replies