Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’m a bit early since I’m going on a weekend trip but I won’t have any more purchases this month. I broke my makeup no buy. I’m a bit disappointed but it was a smart buy. I didn’t think I would need replacements but finishing my mineral veil in March and seeing it part of the 21 days created a conundrum. I opened my backup mineral veil (I had purchased 2 during the previous Ulta 21 days) but knew from tracking that it would not last me until the end of my no buy – October 2019. I have no substitutes..at least in my mind. I have a different sample size of mineral veil that has a shimmer finish but that’s not really the look I like and setting spray. I’m hoping this will be the only exception for my makeup no buy year.

Totals for March 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $48.08

• Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2

Haircare (low buy) - $0

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

Skincare (low buy) - $148.26

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $182.04

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets

Were you tempted by the 21 days or other sales? Or have you planned some smart buy purchases for next month when Sephora has its sale? Hope we can motivate each other to spend wisely!

@ShortErica youre doing so well! And your logic for making a purchase is well-reasoned, so I think it’s fine!! I totally fell off the wagon, then rolled right into Sephora 🤦🏽‍♀️ It’s like as soon as I was making real progress with my pans that I freaked out and had to hoard ~all the things~ .... to make up for it, I have decided to sit out the spring sale. Hopefully one extreme feat of willpower will inspire me to keep going! 

Thanks @cianni! Your pans have been so impressive. We all have boo-boos so as long as you learn from it, no worries. I'm sure you will be panning your new goodies at some point and getting your monies worth. You can do this!

@ShortErica Thank you! Actually although I did cave on the SF festival set, I did look at each item and made a decision about whether or not I would use them/finish them, and out of the 9 items in the Canadian set, I was 100% sure I’d finish 7 of them (and I actually was on my last or second to last backup of those product types and would have had to purchase them in a couple months anyways). The other 2 items I’d use but they’re not for daily use (like the verb disco ghost oil... unless glitter hair is a new 2019 office trend I’m not aware of?) 😂 so it was a mindful splurge? ETA - I’m looking now and it really seems that I only actually picked up three things that I straight up did not need (looking at you Fenty highlighter, SC lipstories, and Shiseido lip lacquer.. even though you were only $4....)

Good job looking at each item in a set. If there's a couple I want to try sometimes I overlook whether the entire thing is a good value or not. Definitely mindful splurge @cianni!

@ShortErica,  don't feel guilty, its an item in your regular routine & these specials are hard to resist.  I purchased a Bliss set at Target, which isn't a part of my routine after a short discussion with myself......you don't need this....but it has masks in it....you will regret not getting it..and I talked myself into it.   Sometimes its just hard not to add to the overload.  For the record, conversation took place totally in my head.

Thanks for the kind words @byme4u. Masks are so hard to resist! Have you tried the masks in the set before? Sets are great because you either get to try new things at a good price or get items you love at a good price - I don't blame you for discussing and deciding to buy it. 🙂

Feels like a good-time to check-in and reflect. Five years ago when I started this thread my goals in life were so different. I identified I needed to make a change in my spending in order to prioritize different goals. I was in my last year of my grad program, wanted to travel more and pay off my loans. I essentially was able to stop buying beauty products, so that was a win. I did start traveling more. 

Then I got a new job two years ago and had more income, so last June I paid off my loans. Along with this I’ve spent more than I should have these past two years on refreshing my wardrobe, but I’m ok with that because it’s nothing like what my beauty spending used to be like. 

Along with the new job I also re-evaluated my priorities again. I wanted to travel even more and try to save for a long-term goal like owning property. So far, I’ve been traveling even more (actually am getting a bit exhausted!) and am about 1/3 of the way toward my long-term goal. I’m feeling good about where I am in life, and really think stopping my beauty spending all those years ago had a hand in where I am now. 

Some successful strategies for me have been:

-staying off certain threads in BIC about deals and new releases 

-doing automatic transfers weekly into separate accounts (one for travel, one for long-term goal

-setting quarterly benchmarks for my goals to keep myself in check when I want to spend on something and realize if I do, I’m hindering my own progress toward something I want WAY more 

-considering whether X thing is worth the amount of work and time I put into earning the wages it costs to purchase it 

-cleaning out and shopping my own makeup and skincare collection, I mean serious decluttering to realize I only use maybe 30% of what I own and don’t need anything else 

Ok, I’ve rambled enough! Thanks for listening. ❤️

OMG I know paying off that final loan was the BEST feeling @lnum !  I can so relate to where you were when you started this journey as that's precisely where I am now.

Thanks for highlighting that it is possible to reduce spending on beauty purchases and channel that into great life experiences!

@ElleElleG Yes absolutely! And it’s not as if I don’t struggle to have the new thing everyday, it’s just become easier to understand that other goals matter to me more. I’m glad you can relate and happy we’re both making strides in our journeys! 

@lnum Love this advice! I'm also in the process of trying to pay off my student loans, (I still work a second job on the weekends) and I want so badly to be back in a place where a bonus/tax return/etc. comes along and I can spend it on something I want with leftovers to save instead of just throwing it all at my debt. 

I've been using the strategy of looking up old youtube tutorial/ promos to get re-excited about stuff I already have every time I see something new I feel like I "need", and I wait to look through my collection and consider what I already have- even samples- before making a purchase. Sticking to a strict one new item a month limit for any skincare or makeup has really helped me consider my priorities as well

@Brutalitops That YouTube video idea is brilliant! Reminds you that at some point you were really excited about this amazing product you now own. 

I know exactly how you feel about the loans and I promise you’ll get there! It took a lot of missing out on social life things to pay off my loans but it was well worth it! 

@lnum Uuugh I know, I'm just terrible at sticking to goals that require me to exercise this level of willpower for more than three months. Still trying to find some kind of goal/reward system that works for me longer-term but I'm doing better every day  

@Brutalitops I get that! Once you find the long term goal that really motivates you, it gets so much easier to manage. 

@lnum, brilliant idea on wage earning vs value!  A bit scary, too, considering how much some products cost.

@byme4u Right??? When I look at luxury brand items and put into perspective that X product would literally equal an entire workday vs. putting X percent of that workday towards travel, a long-term goal, bills, and having a social life it’s such a reality check. 

This is great advice @lnum. I especially relate to the "is a product worth X amount of hours wages to pay for it." I used to use that strategy to avoid eating out often during my internship back in the day. My struggle is I'm a sucker for a good deal. But I also am very organized and only have so much space for beauty items so that helps me balance.

Edited to add - feel free to continue rambling and thanks for doing this thread!

@ShortErica Food is a STRUGGLE. I try my best to prepare my own meals 75% of the time and that works for me, the other 25% is treating myself, I really enjoy that 25% a lot knowing I earned it. 

I hinestly had had to unsubscribe from a lot of mailing lists to avoid deals. Now I focus on Sephora’s sale periods in April and November and I can get by. 

Totally relate to the space problem, I live in NYC. 

That is fantastic advice @lnum! I will never forget having the discussion with my daughter about how many hours she would have to work to pay for one pair of designer jeans she wanted.😂

@faeriegirl Ah I remember as a kid feeling that way too, and my parents were pretty much like well you have X amount for new clothing this year and that’s it, so decide if you want to blow your budget on three items or use your hourly wages on clothes instead of other things. 😏

Funny how as an adult I’m at the point of I just want clothes that will last and actually fit!! 

Okay everybody, I need your honest thoughts. My original plan was a makeup no buy. I honestly thought I would not have to worry about replacements because although I may not own a lot, I also don't wear a lot.

Now comes in the Ulta 21 Days sale. I have two temptations for makeup.

1. Bare Minerals Mineral Veil - I was Bare Minerals girl in college and in the process of trying to use up some of my stash have been working my way through these old products. Some of them are probably way too old but back to the point. Mineral Veil was one of the products that worked for me well when I started using them again last year. Whether I used their powder, a BB cream, a tinted moisturizer, etc. the mineral veil made it all look smooth. I purchased 2 containers during the Ulta 21 Days sale in the fall and just opened the 2nd one this week. Which brings me to my predicament. I think I used too much per use but even with using less I will run out of the product before November when I'm "allowed" to purchase makeup again. So do I say "here's an exception" and buy it since it is on sale? Or do I try to make do with maybe setting sprays or other products and then probably pay full price in November? Even if I didn't purchase now and it would be on sale during the fall, that would be in September when I'm still on a no buy. Thoughts?
  2. Benefit Gimme Brow - Of brow products, I think brow gel is my style. I've eyed this product before but haven't taken the plunge. I have used the Ulta tinted brow gel but it doesn't have the fibers. Anyway, I think I can hold strong on this. Brows aren't essential for my makeup routine and hopefully it will be on sale in the future. I also don't know what shade would be best for me so even if it's 50% off it could be a waste if I buy an incorrect match. Again, any support/advice would be awesome.

If anyone else is getting tempted, feel free to share so I know I'm not the only one!

14 Replies
testing