Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 5/1/18*

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challeges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I hope everyone is doing well with their no/low buys! Ive been trying to be good and focus on saving money by shopping my stash. I’ve also donated a lot of stuff which is a great feeling because who doesn’t love surprises? And it has helped clear up some space in my room. All in all, I’m super happy that I’m making progress on using things I own instead of buying more things that I don’t really need. Sending you all good vibes as you work on meeting your goals Smiley Happy 

That's great, @trishavt!  I'm trying to shop my stash, too, particularly all of my samples!

Glad to see you @trishavt !  Donating is a wonderful idea, I need to look into local options and see what I might can do.

Who do you donate to?  I have lots of makeup I'm not going to use, but struggle with how to find someone who might want it.     

@DreyHI Unused products and samples are much appreciated by women's shelters and similar programs! A lot of orgs with websites will have a page of info describing the kind of items they're especially happy to receive.

For makeup that's already been used, friends and relatives are the way to go here since it generally can't be donated even if it's been sanitized.

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You can ask your friends if they want any of it!!👍🏻

Hello beautiful @trishavt! I need to check in this thread often too Smiley Happy Otherwise i will be an old lady with lots of old makeups and no retirement 🤪🤣

Just checking in.  Been on the strict no buy for almost a month now after skipping the sale completely.  That was slightly mitigated by going shopping at a new Ulta with my mom and her insisting on buying me the Smashbox petal metal lipstick in In Bloom. I was pretty clear upfront that I wasn't going to buy anything but she insisted on going and we had a great time.  Today I needed face wash so no getting around that.  I had a Macy's gift card so I spent $2.76 out of pocket on it.  As much as I want to consolidate my Clinique purchases to Sephora with everything else, the wonderful rep at Macy's is a doll, lives across the street from me and always gives me extra free stuff when I buy from him.  I got a makeup bag and coin purse for spending $2.76 cash.  Win!

That's great, @sprocketta!

Sounds like things have been going fabulously (only $2.76 spent 😯😯😯).  Keep up the amazing work!

I love all the GWP that Clinque offers at Macy's and Nordstrom. Great job managing your no-buy, @sprocketta

One goal of my HGs-only-buy (which is going well, other than some sheet mask gambling) is to transition to mostly using products I love, not just having a life full of things I'm tolerating.

And since I'm kind of a nerd, I've been tracking my 2018 product usage in a spreadsheet using my photos for the empties thread. This is making it easier to see how much I actually like what I'm using. Basically, I want the green numbers to increase over time, since that will mean I'm using more things I like, and using less of (and spending less on) what I don't. 🤓

Anyway, I know some folks here are spreadsheet people, so I figured I'd share!

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180521-184215.png

Thats awesome, wish i was as organized as you. Thats amazing

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover that’s impressive. I’ve just been actually using What I’ve been hoarding. I finally used up my origins zero oil facial cleanser. It took a long time to finish it.

@fieldsofclover You are so organized!  Great idea.

Guys, I'm thisclose to hitting the buy button on the SKII Facial Treatment Essence on the Costco website. It's for the 11oz bottle. It has a pump. I need it. Right? LOL helpppp.

I absolutely love that essence and am running out of it. I'm started using a fermented essence (Marine Hyaluronics from The Ordinary) and also thinking of getting the one from NEOGEN. 

Thoughts?

If you are running out of it then you know how you feel about the product and id ask myself if it’s a HG and/or in budget before making the purchase. You talked about some other similar products so the question for yourself is are you okay with trying other products to potentially replace the skII either now or for the future... ask yourself what the goal is? possible cost cutting all together for the future? Could you splurge this time and try a lower cost option next time just to break up the cost? Is the cost not a concern but the stockpile already has some options? Good luck figuring out what will be best for you!

@sojess I nearly bought that one in my Costco, but walked away from it because I hadn't tried it before and the size was too much for me to commit to.

I think if you are actively running out and would begin using the new bottle pretty soon, it's a good deal. Costco semi-regularly gets grey-market products (things intended for sale outside the US) but I've never worried about counterfeit items. But manufacturers often will dump products that are closer to expiration dates than other retailers will accept, so I try not to stockpile high-end beauty I buy there.

(I don't work for them or anything, but I have lived in Kirkland)

@sojess  @fieldsofclover  I agree about Costco's beauty items.  Ironically, the only thing I've ever ordered from them online that was close to expiration was The Olive Garden salad dressing 2-pack. lol  (Don't judge me; it's over an hour away.)

Thanks so much @fieldsofclover ! Great advice about the possible near expiration date... definitely something to consider. The more I think about it the less I'm inclined to get it. I might just stick to the bottle sizes I can get here on Sephora instead.

1,619 Replies