Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 5/1/18*

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challeges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I'm on a no makeup buy goal this year (except for foundation, brow, mascara products) and I had a weak moment yesterday.  I don't even know how it happened but I went to Walgreens to stock up on eyebrow pencils, look for an eyebrow gel and a maybelline bb cream.  I ended up with those products and more.  They're not big ticket items so I don't feel that bad and I may end up returning some of them (Maybelline bb cream, wet n wild highlighter in precious petals).  Has anyone used the Wet N Wild blossom glow, ombre blush or the master chrome in molten rose gold? 

On the plus side I found a new drugstore brand (CYO) and really am enjoying the lip pencil.  Its a dupe for MAC Lip Pencil in Morning Coffee.  I'm going to buy a few as this is my favorite my lips but better color.

Here's what I purchased:

IMG_6193.JPG

I don't think I joined in the fun yet this year but it's time!!! I usually end up in this thread at some point each year. I will be taking a leave of absence from one of my jobs (maybe both?) soon to finish my practicum for nursing school. One of the dogs had surgery and I got new tires/alignment/brakes in the same week last month and I paid the card I used for them today- ouch! We have a couple big trips and building a house on our radar for next year, as well as maybe starting some wedding planning, so we are both like WOAH we gotta watch it! 

As in the past my goal more than anything is to be mindful and think, do I/we really need this? Not browse online out of boredom or go to marshalls just to peruse the aisles. Cut back the grocery budget a bit. Usually just saying this helps me a lot. I need to focus my energy and motivation on school, beauty and fun will be back in my life more very soon! I also used to be really good about selling things I wasn't wearing on posh/mercari and could use some free time to list things that are taking up space in the closet. 

I do have a couple sephora and ulta GC's. I will shop some replenishments during the sales this month. I had planned on getting cult GWP fall bag if I'm into it and am still planning on doing so. I will also replenish HG's if on sale/a great promo that will get used. I am close to 2k ulta points which I will be able to redeem when winter is cold and I'm getting antsy for something new, as well as maybe offset christmas spending a bit and get a couple things for friends with it. I have lots of fun stuff (honestly more like 492074 highlighters and some other random things) stashed away to keep me occupied and am doing the 10/10/10 and regular pan challenges. 

Planned purchases:

Spoiler
Planned purchases:

Unknown brand/where getting/don't need ASAP etc:
Hydrating serum
PTR un-wrinkle night cream
Liquid liner
Too cool for school egg mellow body butter- winter HG. Maybe nordies, I think I have a bit left on a GC.

Sephora:
2x Dr Jart tiger grass cream, Moon Juice Super You. Amika perk up (just found some amika minis and a FS orbie gold lust!! always check your stash!). Maybe mini Lila and collagen depending on how much GC is left. 

Ulta:
UD illusion primer, Diorshow mascara primer, Essence mascara, Living proof restore hair mask. Sheet masks. Maybe a morphe blush trio. NO GIRL!
Also will buy Lorac palettes if on sale and probably 73 more jack black lip balms this winter. And any HG's that go down during 21 days.

Cult fall GWP bag:
Depending if I like/will use bag contents. Stock up on things cheaper there such as pixi, omorovizca, etc and treat myself to one small neom candle.

My DO NOT BUY list:

Spoiler
Things I own way to much of and don't need to even think about "stashing" or stocking up on:
Cleansing balms/oils (must have 6 or 7 FS including the 1 balm and 1 oil open right now)
Korres body wash
Tinted moisturizer
Orbie dry texture spray
T3 whirl attachments
Highlighters
Lippies 
Setting sprays/refresh mists
Diptyque candles (I don't have a lot, maybe a couple small ones left stashed but not something I need to be getting right now!)
amazon maxi dresses
planner stickers

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while now, but I really need to throw this up here to keep myself accountable and on track.  I did a little too much spending this past week (I don't regret any of the purchases), but now I am on a REALLY tight budget for the next three & a half weeks.  All the bills are paid, but spending needs to be limited to pretty much just gas & groceries.  You are all so wonderful on this thread and I could really use some verbal support in helping me sticking to my budget.  Thanks!!

I feel the same way @mrsmouse  Whenever I end up buying beauty products then the budget gets tight like yours and I feel down on myself.  You can do this!  It's tough, but the support here helps.  I have faith in you and know what you're going through.

Thank you so much @sprocketta!!  Smiley Happy

We're here to help @mrsmouse !  If you have any tempting moments feel free to share, it's so much easier to navigate low buys with support 💕

@ElleElleG, Thank you so much for the support!!  So far, 2 days NO shopping!  It sounds small, but I am seriously taking this one day at a time.  Smiley Happy

You can do this! You already made the first step in commi...

You can do this! You already made the first step in committing to not spend. Just keep it up and don't get sucked in by any flashy ads and displays.

Re: You can do this! You already made the first step in commi...

Thank you @sandykat79!!  Smiley Happy

I need help. I admit I do have somewhat of a spending issue that I've addressed a bit in here before. Well...now it's a simple I CANNOT spend money. I got ticket yesterday and sweet mother....I have no idea how I'm going to pay it and all my bills without dipping into savings. My only option is to not come to BIC so im not tempted by shiny pretty new things. 

@GG84 I understand you totally! I got a ticket on June 1st and it cost me 169.00$ ! Obviously I had to pay it 😢 and my month of June was a bummer.... Starting today I’m on a strict money diet and I know it’s not going to be fun at all but I need to adult... It’s going to be hard since the closest Sephora store is 5 minutes away from my condo and so is The Face Shop...Next time I buy something from any store is because I NEED it , not because I WANT it...

@keana1

$500 for me. It sucks. I'm just not looking at particular threads like new releases and not going on the app. 

@GG84, OMG, $500?!  I'm so sorry!!  Smiley Sad

Oh dang!!  Haha, the last big ticket I got ($680 when I was 20)was when I was in a police chase I didn’t know about.  I’m not very attentive and am apparently a very good speederSmiley Wink They didn’t catch me until I stopped at a stop sign on the highway.  😂. Three cars surrounded me and I was still oblivious and like “gee, I wonder what’s happening...” 

Sorry to hear.  Take this as an opportunity to clean out your makeup drawers?  You’ll find lot a of stuff you forgot you loveSmiley Happy @GG84

Omg @heartsmyface

LOL yours takes the cake. There was an ambulance behind me and evidently when your at the front of the line the proper thing to do is turn right but it had JUST went from yellow to red so i floored it.

That first time you have a gun pulled on you is very memorableSmiley Wink. I’m not sure I would have known what to do in your case either. @GG84  I don’t drive anymore.  It’s safer for everyone that I’m a passenger😂

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@GG84...as much as I miss the BIC and shopping at Sephora everyday of my life, I beat the urge by not coming on here as much either. 😩😩😩 I have to say, I went all of July without a single purchase! I just moved so new furniture and redecorating is my goal. I’m waiting for the sale to stock up on my skincare but this is allowing me to use all of my makeup that sits there! I am buying the Natasha Denona releases, though. I’m giving myself that. Lol

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Miss seeing your posts @darlyndar but I totally understand!  Smiley Happy

Ouch @GG84  $500 for a ticket is crazy.  Only advice I can give you is to pay it off sooner rather than later.  I had a ticket that I was putting off paying and then due to the time frame, it doubled.  Being on BIC can be a curse and a blessing.  Seeing the new product threads always leave me wanting to buy but this thread really helps.  I can see why you want to cut out any temptation.  Good luck.  I'm rooting for you!

@GG84 That sucks. Not sure how it works in other states but here in FL you can get a traffic lawyer to dispute the ticket. Usually it cost $70 and you don’t have to pay the ticket ( depends on the offense of course). If possible you should give it a try. 

1,869 Replies