Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ShortErica I echo everyone’s comments about not counting replacements of products you know you will use as part of your no-buy. 

As far as the brow gel, I think you should decide if you really need it and will use it up. 

Need is such a weird word. I really don't need any makeup. Haha. But I get your point @lnum. Thanks for helping me see the different angles of this buying decision.

@ShortErica I think you have valid points on the BareMinerals. You know you’ll use it and you know you’ll repurchase it in the future so I think it’s better to buy it now for the discounted price. On the brow gel - it doesn’t feel you are convinced about it so I would wait on that. 

Thanks for commenting @katkapivarci. I think you are correct. My writing about the products speaks pretty clearly that I can pass on the brow gel.

@ShortErica 

I think it’s ok for you to break your low-buy for replacements especially if they will be on sale but be sure to stick to that only! The Gimme Brow is a great product and if you’re going to get it make sure you do some research beforehand to find your shade if you haven’t used it already. I use Gimme Brow everyday and one tiny bottle will last me about 6 months so if you end up getting it, you won’t have to repurchase until your low-buy is over hopefully 😉

@gonerogue yes, I think doing my research before I purchase is so important. I'm thinking I may have to pass for this sale and hope it comes around again. That's awesome to know it lasts you 6 months with everyday use.

@ShortErica Since you know you love the bare minerals I would definitely get it while it’s on sale. I don’t wear a lot of makeup either so when I find something I love I stock up when there is a sale. As for brow gel since you are unsure I would pass on it. 

Thanks @faeriegirl! I appreciate your feedback. I think it will be a give and take. Break it for the mineral veil since it's replacement/staple item but stay strong on the no buy with the brow gel.

Well I went on a low buy at TJ Maxx. That place is dangerous for me. It’s right next to Barnes and Noble, where I go to relax, and near Sally Beauty, which is not the branch where I work but I like to go there from time to time, and T-Mobile, which is my phone company. I have to stop going in there so I’m going to take out my credit cards and use them only in an emergency. I already don’t take out my debit card because I don’t make enough on my job to use it. Yes I will conquer this urge if I can help it. 

I went into SJCP and got one sample and didn’t buy anything. Woot woot!

@divaknits You are my hero!!! I don’t think I ever set foot in SiJCP without buying something.🤦🏼‍♀️

Thanks @katkapivarci! I miss my SJCP people so much that I wore my wedding dress over there when I got married last week. I love them all. It was such an emotional experience. 

Thanks @byme4! And congrats to you as well!

Congratuations @divaknits!!!! giphy

Thanks @sephoraaddict918!!

@divaknits well done!!

Thanks @sockmagnet!

I managed not to buy anything else for the rest of February (since my last post in this thread) and have, so far this month, spent $15 on three snail sheet masks from Missha. 

I really want to try the new face cream from Tatcha, but I'm not allowing myself to buy it right away because I don't need replacement face cream yet and, ideally, I should wait and get a sample of it when restocking something else that I already know that I like. 

@byme4u yeah, I am usually tempted by sets, but without any sales going on right now and with the fact that I don't need it, I really can't justify spending money. I'm still working through using the things I bought in the November sales 😕

@byme4u thanks 🙂 If only I was as good about buying books for my daughter (she practically has a small library in her room because of me... on the one hand it is a good thing, but on the other she really has too many for the amount of space that she has now).

@sockmagnetYES we go to B&N every week it seems, my daughter’s library is overflowing and she doesn’t want to get rid of anything! I think the whole ‘experience’ is what draws her to the bookstore. Eat, read, explore. The library is good but we get tons of books that she never reads🙄 

1 Reply
testing