Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

thanks @CC3616 I'm not that tempted with the 20% sales un...

thanks @CC3616 I'm not that tempted with the 20% sales unless it's worth it (like I need to buy skincare.) The promo bags dont get me to hardly at all unless I'm buying a palette & spending it anyways (I'm sampled out) but it's the promos of new things that get me

Re: thanks @CC3616 I'm not that tempted with the 20% sales un...

@sonnydee That's good though! Sale marketing is the worst as far as creating urgency so good for you to be able to say no. 

As far as promos, it'd be safe to say most of us have rode that wave at one point and really I think the temptation fades in time. I would make two promo purchases a week at the height of it, now I'm rarely enticed by one. I think one year I ordered over half of the christmas month ones. Still have a lifetime supply of packing paper and bubble wrap LOL. My UPS lady I'm sure thought I was cray. Although you said you're more enticed by new things so they may not all apply, some of these questions might help:

• Is this an HG product that I love and will use a DS of while traveling/at work/purse etc? I'd buy. I might buy it 5 times if it's not one time use but this is the low buy thread, so I won't encourage that 😉 
  • Am I out of my current whatever product it is and ready to try something new because current product isn't an HG? I'd buy
  • Do I have a HG in the category of the item? Pass, wait for some honest reviews.
  • Is there a cheaper trial size available? I'd pass and purchase the TS when I'm ready to use it. 

If it's not an immediate buy/pass more to contemplate:

• Do I have room to store it until I can use it? 
  • Would I have bought what I'm purchasing to get this promo if the promo notification wouldn't have come? 
  • How long will it be before I can use it (using up open things, etc)? 
  • Is it similar to something I already have? How different?
  • Will the size of it actually give me an idea of if I like it or not?
  • Is it sensible to get a sample of it or try it in store? Logistics/sanitary reasons- I am about an hour from a store to get my hands on things and there's some things I don't trust a jar sample of. But, even if I wouldn't slather that sample all over my face, it could be worth getting some potted samples to do a spot test if the store isn't far away. 
  • Is the promo value worth the purchase and if it's a high value promo will I use it, or am I just enticed by its value?

Re: thanks @CC3616 I'm not that tempted with the 20% sales un...

Thanks for your time! And all your suggestions. It will help me with my thought process. Tbh, there's not alot of new promos that excite me anymore😏 so unless it's a have to (like my omorovicza wash cloth that I've been wanting & sell out all the time) I add stuff I want to my loves list & wait. But the pat glosses did get me this month. They were a surprise!  @CC3616

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Check in- All of this time off is driving me crazy but I've been able to be super productive this week. I can't wait to get back to work this weekend though! It's hard to not fill up your time with shopping when you have tons of free time, but I've challenged myself to do a ton around the house and spend more time in the gym. Instead of shopping I've been going through boxes in the attic and labeling them, purging things to goodwill, and tackling the dreaded stack of file or shred papers that was accumulating in the corner. 

Don't be surprised if you see me in the hauls thread- I did purchase a few beauty things at the first half of the month. Replacements of Omorovicza cleansing balm in a set from cult (about half of US cost, plus 2 usable freebie set products), moon juice super you, glow recipe sleep mask, and a hair mask (amika at marshalls). I also got a couple sheet masks on sale or with gift to keep my box stocked. My splurge purchases were diptyque valentines day candle (purchased on a GC and I got one in my galentine gift, so I am gifting to a friend), vital proteins beauty collagen (which I definitely didn't need but have been wanting to try and saw on sale at tj maxx), and an order of may lindstrom, mahalo, and leahlani DS from integrity. I used money from a couple clothing pieces sold on e-bay for the vital proteins and integrity order. I feel good about saving on a lot of replacements and being able to try things I've been wanting to without taking money out of the account, so to speak. 

We are doing a no buy spending freeze this week! 

Spoiler

I discovered Jordan Page/FunCheaporFree on youtube and I've been having a ball watching all of her videos, which inspired this weeks Spending Freeze/Week long no buy. My fiancé was NOT on board when I first suggested it, but then texted the next day that he was wanting to purchase a drink at work from the cafeteria but that he's not going to so we can do a spending freeze. Heck yes! I was inspired when she said if they do a spending freeze once weekly, she can afford a trip to hawaii at the end of the year. Since I don't have a family of 7+, it won't affect us that much but I was intrigued by the point of doing it to brain train yourself to say no to things and thought it could help encourage mindfulness in spending and challenge us to use things in the house up as far as food goes.

I estimate this will save us approximately $150/week. We have long commutes to work, I drive far weekly to help my sister with her kids and new baby etc, so we'll need to purchase gas and  I excluded our gas budget from the savings. Using gift cards you have on hand is okay too.

To combat food waste:

Spoiler
  • I started cutting fruits/veggies when I get them home to just grab and snack/use. 
  • I made loose meal plans for the week, 3-4 dinners that we could make that week. A meal schedule isn't really functional for us, no kids/running around to practices etc so it makes more sense to have a couple things available and make what we're feeling.
  • I made a sidebar list in my planner of foods that will be going bad that week to encourage thinking about ways to use things

@CC3616 yes good for you on your progress! It’s so satisfying to clear out things you don’t need and tackle things you tend to avoid. You did really well on the replacement items too. 

I love your ideas about food waste - I’m going to have to give some of them a try! I’ve been trying to impose a household “low buy”, which means less waste, and going through/using all the accumulated stuff we have lying around.

you got this freeze for the next week 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

@cianni Thank you- Yes it is! I'm up to 4 bags now, wouldn't mind getting more in there. Goodbye clutter and accumulated junk, especially little things from the holidays! For the freeze the mindset of challenging ourselves to do it rather than "restricting ourselves" so to speak really helped us get excited about it.

Getting all of the overstock and date sensitive things in my planner is so much easier for me than going to the pantry/fridge/etc and seeing what we have each time, and I have it with me if I'm on the go to see what I can work around. Are you having a hard time getting others on board? It was a hard sell here. 

@CC3616 I find the best way for me to adhere to a low or no buy was to introduce the pan it challenge. Once I set aside those items, I have really gotten into the mentality of it. I get so much joy out of finishing something LOL more so than I do accumulating. 

Also yes - apparently our favourite phrase around here is “but it’s on sale!!”. With the pantry, ive organized it so everything unopened is in the back, and naturally everyone just takes from the front, instead of before when the newest stuff was added in front and opened stuff was regaled to the back 😂. The “one in-one out” policy that my dad has enforced when I was growing up has been re-implemented, but like anything, it’ll take time to get used to. I just have to keep reminding myself (and everyone else) that everything goes on sale at some point, no need to stock up a year in advance unless the deal is THAT good

@cianni I hear the "it's on sale" line all the time too! One in one out is a good rule. 

I highly recommend the 100 Shades of Eyeshadow and/or 100 Days of Lipstick challenges if you're looking to work through your collections before buying more! I'm participating in the eyeshadow challenge currently, and it's forcing me to go through all of my palettes in an attempt to wear at least one new shade a day. Since it started, I've used 40 eyeshadows and dipped into every palette, which is a great way to figure out what I love, what I can toss/pass on, and what (if any) gaps are in my collection. 

excellent point 'find out what you love'. @tastelikewater

excellent point 'find out what you love'. @tastelikewater

Yesss the 100 days of lipstick challenge is my jam!! Everytime I go to grab a new lipstick, I find something new while shopping my stash😂 everyday is Christmas haha

How fun to have found 3 unopened lip products @byme4u! Sometimes I think my sample stash multiplies when I’m not looking😆 Glad you found some ideas that work for you, I’m learning along the way and trying to have fun at it, too;)

@byme4u I agree with @cianni that the pan challenge is a great way to challenge yourself to use up what you have on hand! It's not just for make-up 😉 Definitely keep your hands on things when you are wanting more. Re-sort it, find something new in the boxes to try, make a list or spreadsheet of what you have! Glad you are finding lots of great ideas here! 

@byme4u Join us in the 2019 pan it challenge!! As soon as I made my list of things I want to go through this year, it has become SO satisfying to finish things I have, which helps keep the desire to buy new things at bay (at least with skincare/beauty/hair stuff haha)

So... I ultimately decided to go ahead and get the Farmacy eye cream. I'm giving myself a bit of a pass on this given that I've been dealing with some eye irritation all week that may or may not be caused by one of the two other eye treatments that I've been using. The irritation stopped as soon as I stopped using anything but Tatcha's Indigo cream, but that could be coincidental. Once the irritation is fully cleared up I will try using only one product at a time, and only once a day, to see if I can figure out if one of them is the culprit (might have nothing to do with either one or could have been the combination of the two being used in the same 24 hour period). 

I also decided to buy a $12 travel size of the Olehenriksen Sheer Transformation Perfecting Moisturizer to try out (so I would get free shipping). I got the dream skin sample set, plus two samples that I might actually use (assuming I get those), and two 100 point rewards (mask and moisturiser)... which makes me feel better about spending money. My quest for a day cream in the $40 range is ongoing 😕 

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@sockmagnet I really like that Ole Henriksen moisturizer. It’s a great choice at that price point.

Re: RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@christyrc thanks, I'm really hoping it suits my skin 🙂

Re: RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@sockmagnet I have sensitive combo skin and I use the OH sheer transformation! My skin loves it, and I never have any reaction or breakouts. Hopefully it works for you! I especially love how it’s so readily available in sets and in the mini size. I find the mini lasts me a decent amount of time too

@cianni *fingers crossed* there are lots of great creams in that price range, but finding one that suits my skin and is cruelty free is proving challenging.

Hey all! I have a question. I’m trying to split my purchases into “low buy” (replacement items, necessary items, or something I don’t have an item comparable to), and “no buy” (items that are unnecessary and I didn’t need).

im going by credit card statements, so my “january“ is going to end January 22, then January 23-February 22 is my February. Miraculously, I have spent only $25 on necessary low buy items (crediting the crazy accumulation I went through in the second half of 2018), and $32 on unnecessary items. Which is actually INSANE for me.

that being said - I caved today and bought a pair of shoes on clearance. I have a pair of white sneakers I recently shredded in the back and had to throw out. Is it a low buy because it’s a replacement? Or unnecessary because a. Its not like I don’t have shoes to wear. I certainly have other pairs of sneakers, even if they’re not white, and b. It’s winter.. I could have held off till the spring. I feel like with all the sales occurring throughout the year I may come across this issue from time to time. Thoughts??

ps. Here are the shoes I picked up for $40. Keds x Little Miss Chatterbox (anyone who knows me knows that I am in fact real life little miss chatterbox😂). Couldn’t resist! 3E3DCE27-6571-41FE-9CCC-496EC084EDF0.jpeg

@cianni  Just wanted to drop by here and say those are really cute sneakers!! I see you determined whether to include it as a splurge in your posts below, which is a great start for staying on track 🙂

14 Replies
testing