Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

WEEK 29 (July 15 - 21) - The Sticks and (Gem)Stones Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Colour: Summer Edition Makeup Capsule - Have some stick makeup in your stash that could use a little love? Time to bring 'em out include one or more stick product in a capsule (thanks @danielledanielle missjeanie). Stick makeup not your thing? All good; we're bringing back our previous Pops Of Colour theme (thank you @missjeanie), for a second option for this week's capsule - pick one or more products that add a summery pop of color to your look. Feeling adventurous - curate a capsule championing both themes.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 7.16.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
WEEK 30 (July 22 - 28) - The BIC Inspired Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The Pan It! Makeup Capsule - Okay, BIC Beauties, here we go - we have a new capsule theme as well as a well loved one - assemble a capsule of one or more beauties inspired or enabled by the fabulous members of our Sephora Beauty Insider Community? Or, put together a look with one or more items from your project pan. Or, meld the two prompts together for a capsule of both BIC inspired and pan it! products!

WEEK 31 (July 29 - August 4) - The New, Old, or "Is It Time For This To Go?" Makeup Capsule - Did you pick up some new (or new-to-you) beauties this month that you want to play with (or keeping playing with)? Are there one or more tried-and-true products, or sleeping beauties in your collection that you want or need to put to use? Or, are there products in your stash that need to be put up on the chopping block (such an awesome theme, @cianni)? Here's your chance to curate a capsule with one or more products from one or any combination of these categories. 

WEEK 32 (August 5 - 11) - The Take 2 / Do Over Makeup Capsule and/or The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule - Was there a makeup capsule theme you missed out on taking part in? Or, perhaps one you want to do over, either because you had a lot of fun with it or you wanted to try a different approach to it? Here's your chance. Or, is there a product or products that's been sleeping in your stash or that you haven't had a chance to get to? Grab that sleeping beauty or beauties and incorporate it in your capsule.

WEEK 33 (August 12 - 18) - The Day-to-Night (or Date Night): Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The "Outside My Comfort Zone" Makeup Capsule - Summer will be coming to an end soon. Did you have a go-to day-to-night (or Date Night) look this summer? Give us a sneak peak into that capsule. Or, are you feeling adventurous? Shop your stash for those beauties that you don't naturally gravitate towards and create a makeup capsule with one or more products that are outside your usual go-to look or comfort zone. (Sneak Peek: I'm going with the outside my comfort zone theme, with false lashes and red lips - eek! 😱)

WEEK 34 (August 19 - 25) - The Samples Makeup Capsule and/or The Newness Makeup Capsule - Have one (or 10? 😂) makeup samples you've been meaning to try out? Here's your chance! Curate a capsule with one or more sample-sized (foils, deluxe samples, promo gwp's, etc.) makeup products. If you're using foils, think about sharing your thoughts on the Foil Challenge thread. Or, did you pick up some fun new beauties that you've been wanting to play with? Put together a makeup look with one or more of the new additions to your makeup collection.

WEEK 35 (August 26 - September 1) - The August 2024 Throw Down!, Throwback, and/or Throw Out! Makeup Capsule - In a nod to @danielledanielle's always amazing alliteration acumen 😉, @cianni's brilliant idea for a chopping block capsule, @missjeanie's throwback suggestion, and @ather's inspired battle theme, here are your choices for capsule prompts for the last week of August 2024 - 
*  Throw Down! Are there a couple (or more) similar products that you want to pit against each other? Toss 'em in with your choice of makeup this week to duke it out. 🥊

Throwback - okay, this can be taken a few ways and it's all up to what you're up for this week. "Throwback" can mean (A) taking your capsule look (in whole or part) to days gone by - love the bright bold makeup of the 80s? Go for it. 90s brown lip liner your thing? Add it to your capsule. Blue eyeshadow and frosty lips from the aughts (2000s) more your speed? You do you. Or, maybe "throwback" for you means (B) going back to a previous theme from this challenge, whether all the way back to January or just last week. Here's another chance for a Take 2 / Do Over capsule.

Throw Out! - Is there a product or two or three or ... that you're on the fence about. Put 'em on the chopping block this week to see whether their performance saves them from elimination or shows them the door. 

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 7.15.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule
22 - The  May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
23 - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule
24 - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multi-tasking Makeup Capsule
25 - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule
26 - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
27 - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule and/or The Summer Vacation Makeup Capsule
28 - The "If I Were To Curate My Ultimate Makeup Capsule" Makeup Capsule (aka The "These are My Favorite Products" Makeup Capsule) 

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

All are invited to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. I'm excited to see what results from this experiment. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

That makes sense 😉 @itsfi a little more work involved but it's a fun way to organize a bigger capsule. Do you enjoy organizing your collection? I feel like I definitely do, it's therapeutic a little or something. It just feels good to sort it out. 💖💖

@CynthieLu, my feelings are usually mixed when it comes to organizing my collection - I definitely like love the idea of an organized collection, an organized, well curated one at that would be the goal. And, by "well curated" I don't necessarily mean a very minimalist collection, but I'm not sure what the magic number would be. 😣 It does feel good when I've been able to do that, even partially. So I completely understand it being therapeautic. 😀 

Sometimes I can get overwhelmed and stuck when I see how much I have to organize. Doing it bit by bit but consistently here has helped. It also helps having the accountability - I've put it out there and so, I feel like I need to at least make the effort, even if there are weeks when I don't have anything to declutter. Those weeks, in particular, I try to think through what made that group of products (or theme) one where I didn't have anything I'd let go of. Was it me and just having a hard time passing on something? Or, is there something about that prompt or that group of makeup products that suits me? It's nice to have an idea of that and it actually helps me when I think about what I might want to buy. 

The battles / showdowns have been very good for helping to whittle down my stash to get it to a place where organizing my collection all at once will feel less ... daunting. And those throwdowns are a lot of fun, too! 

Week in Review (Part 2) - Week 27: The Weekend Edition  

It seems that I had more makeup capsules I wanted to put together. 🙄  

Week 27: The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule - The Minimalist Edit

27 - Indie Brand (minimalist).jpg

Spoiler

💟  Em Cosmetics Daydream Cushion Foundation SPF 50 PA+++ - a nod to Michelle Phan, the OG of social media influencer. This is a beautiful cushion compact - my third (?) box, so this makes this cushion #5. Serum-like formula glides on smoothly. It evens tones, offers some blurring effect, and leaves a lovely natural finish with a soft, healthy glow.

🌻 For my cheeks, I'm going with minori beauty, a San Francisco, California (woohoo!) based, eco-friendly brand founded by a Kazakhstan-born Canadian and her husband (who she met when they were studying in Montreal) - Cream Blush (Orchid) and Cream Highlighter (Champagne) - these are easy, peasy to apply and blend. 

👁  Kept the eyes simple with a wash of brown (so surprising, right?!! 😄) from Makeup Revolution I Heart Chocolate Palette - Salted Caramel and added a pop of color with Ere Perez Natural Almond Mascara - Mauve (a pretty, plum shade)

💄  In preparation for our upcoming sticks makeup capsules, I went with two lip crayon sticks - Ere Perez Coco Crayon - Grace and Reina Rebelde Mini Bold Lip Color Stick - Divina - one for the morning and one for the evening when I added a light dab of the blue shade from the Makeup Revolution palette to my eyes (outer V) for a little (but not too, too much) extra. Touched up my lips throughout the day and night as needed with Seraphine Botanical Apple + Baume Glow Lip Mask, an oldie but goodie I found while doing a little summer cleaning last weekend.

Week 27: The Summer Vacay Makeup Capsule  

I'm extra low maintenance when it comes to my makeup on vacation, especially if I'm going to warmer, tropical climates. For this makeup look, we'll start off with the fits - 

27 - Summer Vacay Fits 1.jpg

27 - Summer Vacay Fits 2.jpg

27 - Summer Vacay Fits 3.jpg

27 - Summer Vacay .jpeg

Spoiler
😎  Sunblock as primer is a winning combo for me. OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL is great for providing sun protection along with adding some brightness to the complexion. It has a creamy but not heavy consistency that works well for me when my skin is normal-to-dry and slightly-to-moderately dehydrated underneath.

🌹Dior Backstage Concealer is a beauty for spot concealing or, in a pinch, subbing in as a foundation. Good for the under eyes too.

🌸  Minori Beauty Cream Blush - Orchid for a little color to my cheeks and lips

💗  MAKEUP BY MARIO SoftSculpt Transforming Skin Enhancer®  for all over warmth and wash of color on my eyelids.

Makeup by Mario Master Mattes Brightening Pencil  - Light 1 (discontinued) has been a workhorse - I just love how it brightens my eye area when used on the lower waterline. Also great for giving more definition to the cupid's bow. Love this. 

👁  Shiseido Eyelash Curler Eyelash Curler is a tried-and-true favorite. I look better with my lashes curled, with or without mascara. I prefer waterproof mascara but the Tower 28 Beauty Mini MakeWaves Lengthening + Volumizing Mascara Jet has been impressing me with its staying power so I thought I'd put it to the test today.

💋  This makeup bag holds quite a few beauties for something so compact, so why not add a lip balm and gloss to the mix - I'm pretty sure I'll use both the CAY SKIN Isle Lip Balm SPF 30 with Sea Moss and Aloe Stem Cells Clear and the Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Crystal Holographic Lip Luminizer - Holla'gram (discontinued) throughout the day, on their own or atop of the minori. I can't be the ony person who wants Holla'gram brought back permanently, right?!

😘  These days my bag, makeup or handbag, would not be complete without a Touchland Power Mist Hydrating Hand Sanitizer (this is in the Lemon Lime version, apparently only available directly through the brand's site?) and the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Find Comfort Stop & Soothe Aromatherapy Pen 0.16 oz / 5 mL 

No declutters this week as the products in my weekend capsules are either tried-and-true or items I'm trying for the first time and, unless they break me out (and none did), I want to give them a fair amount of use before letting them go. 

I'm both excited for next week's capsule and also dreading having to put it together - it's not so much what to include as it is what will be excluded. 😩 I'll definitely be working on my editing skills when it comes to picking which makeup products would currently make up my ultimate makeup capsule. Ack! It sounded like a good theme when I came up with it, but now, picking my favorite child / children doesn't seem so easy. 🤣 Will aim to be back later today for an early post with that capsule.

@itsfi  I love your approach of putting together multiple capsules for each theme - weekend editions, minimalist edits, etc.! At the moment I am happy if I manage to put together *a* capsule for the week's theme, but I love that you do more.

I know what you mean about how hard it can be to pick a favorite product (or favorite child if you will) in each category, though for me personally it depends on what type/category of makeup it is. For some things, like primers, I don't have many and pretty much use the same tried and true couple that I know I love and work well for me, so that choice is a no-brainer. But picking a favorite eyeshadow single or palette? Impossible! 😅

@caitbird, at first, when I did the subcapsules, I was using different products from the main weekly one. Recently I've been trying to modify that approach and do a true subcapsule - so, I have the capsule based on the week's theme and I've been making it a smidge larger - on an every day basis for makeup, I'd generally be fine with a tint/foundation, a lip product, mascara, a cheek product of some sort (usually bronzer or blush in the warmer seasons), an a setting spray/powder to seal the deal. 😅 But I like options for my foundation and lip products - even if I go for the same item, I still just like the idea of having something else to pick from, in case I need it. lol Going forward, I'll aim to do a subcapsule one week per month, with the "larger one" being 12 - 15 products and choosing from within that group, some mix of 6 - 10 products for a weekend/minimalist subcapsule. 

I love seeing the categories that folks here have specific go-to's for and which categories people like having more options in their collection. Two categories I can whittle down to just a small, small few are brow products and liquid eyeliner. If my collection was assessed based on those two categories, I'd be in the running for being a minimalist. If we're talking lip products, maximalist. 🤣 I love that your primer collection is so well edited. I want to get there with my setting spray / powders, which I think I can; I just have so many that are open and haven't been reached for very often - there's a showdown there at some point.

Week In Review (Part 1) Week 27: The Indie Brand Makeup Capsule

27 - The Indie Brands.jpg

It's a throwback to the original setup of my weekly capsule recap for Part 1 of this week in review. 

Top Shelf

🏆  No makeup additions to my Top Shelf, but I'm shouting out Touchland Power Mist Hydrating Hand Sanitizer and the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Find Comfort Stop & Soothe Aromatherapy Pen 0.16 oz / 5 mL - both can usually be found in either my purse or makeup bag. I suspect it will come as no surprise that the Touchland is 🐐 and I can see that being the same for the RB aromatherapy pen at some point - this is pen #4 for me (I've also purchased a handful as gifts but have personally gone through 3, so far, at least). I stopped counting how many of the Touchland I've gone through. 😅

Undecided

No declutters (yet) from the battle of the lip liners but I have 2 on the chopping, for different reasons. More details below.  

Declutters:

🗑  Sadly, neither shades of the LYS Beauty Triple Fix Serum Foundation are a good shade match, which is a shame as I enjoy the formulation on this one. I can certainly make them work with bronzer or blending with other foundations. I even tried mixing the two shades themselves. Not truly a declutter as I've used up all the product but I haven't come up with a category for something like that. I'm also keeping these jars as they are very convenient for travel (or for future samples at a non-Sephora store (that carries more shades in store) and since there are a couple of other shades that may be worth looking into). For purposes of my own declutter count, I'm not going to include samples like these in the tally, though I will count them in my empties tally. 

And now, for the main event ... Battle of the Lip Liners, Round 1 @ather @caitbird @CynthieLu 

27 - Battle of the Lip Liners.jpg

27 - Battle of the Lip Liners (Swatches).jpg

Isn't it interesting how similar in shade / color these liners appear to be? I was actually surprised by that and I know I really should not have been. 😅 In any event, all but the HUDA BEAUTY Mini Lip Liner Contour Set and the Freck Beauty MAKEOUT CLUB Nude Muse Lip Liner Shade 02 survive to fight 😉🤣 another day and back into the stash they go. So, where did the Huda Beauty and Freck Beauty liners falter? 

Shade 02 of the Freck lip liner (described as a "warm pink nude" on the produt page) looks so pretty in the swatch, but when applied onto my lips, it takes on a chalky, pasty, and patchy pink hue that isn't my cup of tea. I did not experience this with Shade 04. Wondering if it's just a fluke so I'm going to give it another go at different intervals during the month. Stay tuned.

Ahhhh, the Huda lip liner. I have a feeling my lips are not its intended audience. Used just to line the lips, it's fine. It's when I use it to line and fill in my lips where I struggle with it. It makes my lips feel dry, leaves a tacky feel, and accentuates all the lines on my lips. To be fair, that last bit will likely be true of most liners - it's my lips, not the liner in that regard - some of it has to do with me needing to be better with my lip care and some of it is just part of the aging process. That said, the Huda lip liner performed pretty much the same when I filled in my lips with and without a lip primer - I used MAC Prep + Prime. ☹️ 

Open the spoiler at your own risk. ⚠️ 

Spoiler
Spoiler
27 - Lip Liner Battle (Huda).jpg

To give the Huda a fair shake, I'm going to give my lips some more TLC and will bring back the Huda again later this month. To be continued .

Edited to add: One other hiccup with the Huda lip liner is the sharpener. First, brava that it comes with a sharpener at the end. Performance-wise though it is not the best. I cannot get it to a fine point, no matter how many times or different ways I've tried - turning the sharpener and holding the pencil straight, and vice versa. Also, didn't matter how much of liner product I twisted up to sharpen. It wouldn't sharpen to a fine point and I feel like with this lip contour pencil, a fine point is a plus! Thanks for reminding me about the sharpener @CynthieLu!

27 - Battle of the Lip Liners (Huda sharpener).jpg

@itsfi  thanks for the tag! And thanks for your detailed thoughts, as always, they are both interesting and helpful. Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite lip liner brand (out of these ones or others)? I am looking for a sort of neutral pink/nude lip liner and it seems like you have a few of those 😉

PS I love your glossy sage green nails in that pic with the sharpener, so pretty!

@caitbird, yeah, just a few 🤣 Brand-wise, Givenchy for lip liners - I have two I have yet to swatch, which I'll do and post tonight or tomorrow and will tag you so you can compare the shades - one of the colors I think you might like for a pinky-brown shade. Of these lip liners though, I like the Dominique Cosmetics (wish it was part of her regular collection) and the exa liner (it's the closest to my natural lip color) best.

Edited to add: Thank you for the compliment - and the reminder. I'll post that mani to the nails 2.0 thread - it's Chanel 131 Cavalier Seul - part of their summer collection last year. It's one of my favorite green polishes. 

@itsfi  thank you for the answer - you are so kind! I will definitely check out those brands you mentioned. 💜

I was very curious about this lip liner outcome @itsfi thank you for sharing this with us. 🙏 But I will add, in regards to your swatches, I see them all as being distinctly different in color. 😉 

It's been a successful battle by the looks of things, two opponents just got knocked out of the ring. 🥊( Well, possibly two depending on how Huda behaves for you with little more tlc. ) I hope you feel good about this outcome. 😀

I have a random question, Do you have a preferred liner sharpener? I fell like ones I've come across are all manglers. 

Ahhh, I know; I really appreciated how invested you were in this lip liner battle @CynthieLu! Thank you. And especially so about your astute eye - I'm going to let anyone who might comment that all my stuff looks the same know that that is in fact not the case and the cynthielu agrees! 😁 I am feeling good about the outcome; thank you. It's helpful for me to breakdown the decluttering certain beauty products. It's also been a sobering reminder of the ... let's say, bench strength 😂 of my makeup collection, even more so coming off of my no-buy last month. Still buying 😆 but I'm much better at pausing and thinking through whether I really want to pick up something and the why. 

Ouch, very sorry to hear about your liner sharpeners. Tried-and-true OG sharpeners for me are the NARS Pencil Sharpener and the old Chanel sharpener from decades ago. The NARS is still available, but just a note - at least with my older one, the lid on it is not the most secure, so if you are going to toss it in your makeup bag or purse, or take it with you when you travel, empty it before you include it in your bag/purse, etc. Otherwise, the liner shavings from previous sharpenings may spill out. The sharpener itself is excellent. 👍

Sephora had a 5-in-1 sharpener a couple of years ago, but it's been discontinued. That offered good variety for different sizes of liners. They do have a SEPHORA COLLECTION 3-in-1 Pencil Sharpener that is also good - on the US site it's currently 50% off - hoping this might be something available in Canada, also at half off. 🤞 

itsfi_0-1720317964326.png

I really do feel a sense of excitement waiting for the results of your showdowns @itsfi Comparing products and having them pitted against eachother in a week of wear tests could be a show I would watch each week. 😉 I would be a loyal viewer lol.

Okay I'll have to order the Sephora one, I get so much apprehension as a pencil wears down and I know I'll have to sharpen it. 😭

Week 27;

Indie Brand Hunt

1000006190.jpg

I capsuled responsibly this time. 

Spoiler
Fit check
Spoiler
1000006195.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all

Reason I was able to pare down this time...I've never really had a knack for decluttering, but at some point there's was a culling.  I had single shadows from The Balm, Nomad Cosmetics and lippies from Doucce and Half Cake that I  thought I still had, but ousted . Indie brands have always been a wild card for me, just because the colors may not perform as I want OR when they were great, I had other similar products I reached for more.

What did survive the culling? Hindash!

I think I decluttered monochromance, but I still have Beautopsy, which is honestly a fabulous palette.  The buzz died out so quickly on this one, and I think it got overlooked.

Other items:

Beauty Bakerie Sour You Doin' palette

Beauty Bakerie Lip Whips: Sangria Slush+ 2 others I didn't remember the names of 

Hindash Heroline liner

I'm calling Ami Colé an indie brand, even though it's at Sephora, just because their founder is still present

Ami Colé Skin Melt Talc-Free Loose Setting Powder Deep / Medium 

Ami Colé Soft Shape Waterproof Lip Liner Cafe Touba 

Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Excellence 

Ami Colé Skin-Enhancing Lightweight & Blurring Foundation Stick 

Ami Colé Lash-Amplifying Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara Rich Black 

Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Pink Sel 

Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Dune 

Ami Colé Always On Point Precision Brow Pencil 

The Ami Bag (of course)

And although no longer a true indie brand since the buyout 😔, Uoma Beauty.  Their "Salute to the Sun" collection last year is/was gorgeous

Salute to the Sun Bronze & Gold liquid highlighter

Usuals:

UD primer in Caffeine

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Blurring Under Eye Powder Yellow 

Nars Bronzer Casino

Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Huez Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum Mineral Spf 30 Sunscreen 5 

Making an appearance

GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI Most Def Clean Instant Definition Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil 

PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Concealer M18 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Liquid Killawatt Fluid Freestyle Highlighter Hu$tla Baby 2.0 

Pacifica Brown eye liner

Bite Beauty Lip

Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine Poppy 

Dose of Colors Chocolate Wasted

@danielledanielle  Great capsule! I've never heard of some of these indie brands, I'll have to check them out (not that I need any more makeup whatsoever, but you know, I'm just curious! 😅)!

PS that makeup bag is pretty snazzy!

You made a very responsible capsule this week @danielledanielle 👏😀 It's hard to stay minimal thou, so I'm amazed by your control. Your collection of makeup is pretty fantastic, if I had that level of product I know I would have a very tough time reining myself in. 

I kinda keep looking at that shiny black bag you used this week. It's pretty eye-catching and nicely spacious. 😍

@CynthieLu, I'm surprised too.  We've already covered I'm not a minimalist 🤣, so thank you

The Ami Bag?  It's definitely a wonderful little thing.  It can hold a lot and it has a little mesh pouch inside.

"I capsuled responsibly..."

hahaha @danielledanielle

Great work on decluttering. I hadn't heard of a couple of those brands so I decided to do some research. 🔍 The aesthetic of Doucce caught my eye - were the lippies not a good fit for you or was it time to let them go? Ahhh, TheBalm is throwback - remembering my intro to that brand. Hindlash!! I have a palette from them I have yet to open; such a beautiful palette. 😍 

Curious to know your thoughts on the Ami Colé Soft Shape Waterproof Lip Liner - clearly, I don't need more as I'm pitting some against each other this week, but ... when has THAT stopped me from being curious?! 😅

Curiousity is what makes you a part of BIC Science team 🧪 @itsfi !

Ami Colé Soft Shape Waterproof Lip Liner, I got Cafe Touba and Rose Clay.  I reach for Touba way more, it's pretty much the same as SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner 17 molasses , but since it's a pencil, I can manipulate the tip with a sharpener.  I love Touba + Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Excellence together, it's THE 90s brown girl lip combo, but it would work with Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Reflection or Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Romance or Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Bliss because it's pretty warm toned.

It's not waterproof, though.  I kind of compulsively rub my lips together when I wear gloss, one to get that ombre effect and two, I like the feel.  It'll move around, but I like that.  And usually if I'm drinking a lot of water, the liner eventually fades, but I can still see the outline, just not as thick.

Week 27 - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule 
This was my face at the beginning of the week, with the lineup of lip liners here being rotated in and out of my weekly capsules over the course of June as part of my monthly battle of certain beauty products, with the focus this month being on these lip liners. To be completely transparent, these are not all of the lip liners in my collection. Baby steps. 
27 - Indie Brands.jpg
27 - Battle of the Lip Liners.jpg
The "fits" - love this term @danielledanielle ❣️ - is one of the easiest ones I've had to work with this year. 👍 This Sonia Kashuk Pencil Makeup Case (Blush Faux Croc) is my most reached for travel bag for my makeup brushes and eyelash curler when I'm traveling with larger brush heads and/or more than just a few brushes. It's roomier than it looks.
27 - Indie Brands Fits.jpg
The Deets:
Spoiler
Complexion
🌻  Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation still a 🐐 in the skin tint category and one of my most oft reached for base products of any type. 

Eyes:
👁  Thrive Eye Shadow Brightener Stick (Bronze), along with the Bobbi Brown eyeshadow sticks, are my "go to" eyeshadow sticks. This is my second stick from Thrive. The color is the best bronze I've found for my skintone - not too warm, not too gold, orange or brown, not too shimmery.

💖  I love how this Makeup by Mario Master Mattes Brightening Pencil - Light 1 (discontinued) in my waterline just instantly brightens my eyes. 😍 I don't think I've ever finished a pencil eyeliner (liquid, plenty; pencil, nope, don't recall even coming close), but if I were to ever do so, all bets on this being the one. 

👍  Speaking of liquid eyeliners, this Danessa Myricks Beauty Linework Paintbrush Fluid Liquid Eyeliner 0.034 oz / 1 ml is a beauty. I have a future battle of the liquid eyeliners in the works and feel like this one and a couple of Japanese liquid eyeliners are going to be the frontrunners. Thanks to our marvelous @danielledanielle for steering me to this one. She's fantastic - both the liner and ms danielledanielle, that is.

🗼  Two Tower 28 Beauty products to complete my eye look - Tower 28 Beauty MakeWaves Lash Curler has been steadily making its way to the top of my pile of eyelash curler (I know, I probably need to do a lash curler showdown at some point as well 😅). Likewise, I'm also beginning to see the charm of (and understand the devotion to) the Tower 28 Beauty MakeWaves Lengthening + Volumizing Mascara Jet - I'm a waterproof mascara gal 98.475% of the time but this one has really proven its worth. 

Cheeks
:
🌟  MAKEUP BY MARIO SoftSculpt Transforming Skin Enhancer®  has really been a workhorse for me. It's a quick, easy and beautiful way to add some warmth to my face, either all over or as a traditional bronzer. It also serves as a wash of eyeshadow in a pinch.

🇨🇦  A nod to our Canadian BIC beauties with LYS Beauty Higher Standard Satin Matte Cream Blush; this was my intro to the brand. It's such a pretty color and formula - I really need to rotate this into more capsules.  

Lips:
😎  CAY SKIN Isle Lip Balm SPF 30 with Sea Moss and Aloe Stem Cells Clear has a wonderful consistency and a soft, pleasant vanilla scent that is not at all overpowering; it's subtle and always makes me smile when I pick up the scent as I apply the balm to my lips. To keep the playing field even, this balm will be paired with my lipliners this month. 

💋  Westman Atelier Lip Suede Lipstick Palette Les Nudes is my pan it! entry for the week and my post-lunch lippie for July. I know, I know, you're thinking "she has a lippie earmarked for after lunch.🙄😆  And, I'm thinking in my head, "don't you?" 😏😅 

🥊  Battle of the Lip Liners - I'll touch base more on each of these lip liners at the end of the week. My inspiration for these battles goes back to Week 22 and a conversation with the wonderful @ather. Technically, that Makeup by Mario Light 1 liner could be added to this battle as it does a great job as a lip liner as well. A jack of all trades that liner!
 HUDA BEAUTY Mini Lip Liner Contour Set 
LYS Beauty Speak Love Lip Liner Pencil 
Dominique Cosmetics Creamy Fill & Define Lip Liner (this was part of a limited edition holiday set)
exa All Smiles Bare Lip Liner (Bare Your Hopes) - a pretty good dupe for the Dior Brown Fig (discontinued)
Freck Beauty MAKEOUT CLUB Nude Muse Lip Liner Shade 02 
Freck Beauty MAKEOUT CLUB Nude Muse Lip Liner Shade 04 
Week 27 - The (Mostly) Indie Brands Makeup Capsule 
Today and tomorrow's makeup choices for some outdoor gatherings. With the exception of the OleHenriksen SPF, the Isle of Paradise Sunny Serum, and the Sephora Collection mascara (the SC jar holds a blend of ND Biba powders), everything else is an indie brand (I think?) .
27 - Indie Brands (mostly).jpg
The "fits" - this bag is also from an indie brand - Soshe Beauty - and very roomy as well! 
27 - Indie Brands (mostly) fits.jpg
Will be back another day to recap how these beauties performed, but here are the deets in the meantime ~ 
Spoiler
Complexion:
🌞  SPF as primer: OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL - protects, blurs and brightens. The brand has a primer within their Banana Bright collection that works beautifully and I like it a lot, but this mineral sunscreen works just as well and is slightly creamier than the other item.

🎈  I've been trying to find a good shade match within the LYS Beauty Triple Fix Serum Foundation - I'm slowly resigned to the fact that there may not be one (yet, as I'm hoping the brand expands its shade range at some point). Picked up samples of 2 additional shades. The Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays is a backup in case these shades are really off. 

❇️  Isle of Paradise Sunny Serum Instant Face Bronzer 1.01 oz / 30 mL, both for warmth and possibly to help with any matching issues with the LYS.

🔍  MAKEUP BY MARIO SurrealSkin™ Awakening Concealer - this shade is a good one for concealing my  blemishes and dark spots. 

Eyes
👁️‍🗨  Keeping it simple here with a mix of shadows (rustic, prairie and shine) from the Natasha Denona Biba Makeup Palette, #the#SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black and the Makeup by Mario Master Mattes Brightening Pencil - Light 1 (discontinued)

Cheeks
😍  Gonna go for the "glazed cheeks" / blushlights look for a couple outdoor outings. I tried this look last week for the Cheek Challenge Summer 2024: Choose Your Own Adventure - this time pairing the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight Mesmerize, a gorgeous rose bronze I received as a generous gift from a very thoughtful friend and the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Mini Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Encourage, a deeper, neutral mid-tone rosy pink.

Lips
💗  Rhode Peptide Lip Tint (salty tan), a slight dusty mauve. Not to worry, the Cay Skin lip balm + lip liner pairing from the other capsule will continue to be used/tested, but this Rhode lip tint will be in my pocket for touching up after BBQ.

Extras:
💐  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Find Comfort Stop & Soothe Aromatherapy Pen 0.16 oz / 5 mL 🐐
🍉  Touchland Power Mist Hydrating Hand Sanitizer Wild Watermelon - the Touchland hand sanitizers are 🐐 
I have one more capsule - one for the weekend - that I'll post another day. It will be my summer vacay capsule, and it's currently looking to be a very pared down, minimalist one, at that. 💟 

@itsfi  ooh, a battle of the lip liners, how exciting! I would like to expand my lip liner collection (currently only have a few, and would like to have a better shade range), so I'll be interested to see the results of this showdown!

I never really know what counts as an "indie" brand. I mean, there are some that obviously are, and many that obviously are not, but I feel like there are a lot that are sort of in the gray area 😖

I confess I was kinda unsure what counts as an indie brand as well @caitbird 😅 I read somewhere in the threads, someone said as long as the original owner is still around that it still counts? I liked that take on it. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos453
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1