Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hello, BIC Beauties! If the idea of makeup capsules piques your curiosity, or you're interested in seeing what's in the beauty collection or weekly makeup bag of your fellow BIC beauties, jump right on in - with questions, comments or a capsule of your own to share.
0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 1.jpg

0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 2.jpg

0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 4.jpg
To add a fun take on putting together a makeup capsule, I've included theme(s) for the weekly capsule - some weeks, I have enough products in my stash (eek!) to make a whole capsule based on the prompt; other weeks, I have just one or two items that fit neatly within theme.

Whether you find yourself in the same place or somewhere in between, jump right on it and share your weekly makeup capsule. Check out the FAQ section below ⤵️ for more info on this challenge.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 40 - (September 30 - October 6) - The "Pop of Colour": Fall Edit Makeup Capsule and/or The Musician Founded or Owned Beauty Brands Makeup Capsule - Hey BIC! Fall is in full swing. Show us some pop of fall color, be it lipstick, eyeshadow, blush, etc. Shouting out @missjeanie for the great theme suggestion and @cianni who I think mentioned earlier in the year some fall-worthy red lippies in her collection. ‌‌

With the American Music Awards airing on October 6, thought it might be a fun way to jazz up the prompts with a capsule consisting of one or more products from beauty brands founded or owned by musicians. See spoiler for non-exhaustive list.

Spoiler

Below are some musician founded or owned makeup brands. This is a non-exhaustive list. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to it are available at Sephora (in store or online, or both). If the founder/owner is not easily identifiable by the brand name, his/her/their name appears in the parens.

about-face (Halsey)

Dolly Beauty (Dolly Parton)
*Fenty Beauty by Rihanna
*GXVE by Gwen Stefani
*Haus Labs by Lady Gaga
Keys Soulcare (Alicia Keys)
*Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez
R.E.M. Beauty (Ariana Grande)
Victoria Beckham Beauty

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 10.2.2024] Take a sneak peek at the weekly themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 41 (October 7 - 13) - The "Dynamic Duos (or Trios)" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Products with Interesting / Attention-Grabbing Names" Makeup Capsule 

Are there certain combinations of products that are just so exceptionally well suited for you, be it a go-to lip liner and lipstick pairing, or a smokey eye and red lip combination that slays, or a blush and highlighter mix that makes your cheeks pop? Curate a capsule that incorporates your all-star beauty combinations. and/or 

Put together a capsule with products bearing interesting or attention-grabbing names. I'll leave it to you to define what falls within the definition of "interesting" or "attention-grabbing".

Week 42 (October 14 - 20) - The "Makeup I'm Thankful For" Makeup Capsule and/or The Do Over / Take 2 Makeup Capsule - 

In celebration of Canadian Thanksgiving (October 14), put together a capsule this week of products you are thankful for, be it: 
  • because it was gifted to you by a friend, family or brand
  • Because it's a HG or a tried-and-true product you can't be without
  • because it holds sentimental or nostalgic value to you
  • other

OR, use the week to repeat or "do over" a past makeup capsule or capsule theme. Consider posting the look you do over on the Makeup Challenge of the Week 2021/2022/2023/2024 thread.

Additional October themes can be found here - October 2024 Makeup Capsule Themes

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 9.30.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule
22 - The  May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
23 - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule
24 - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multi-tasking Makeup Capsule
25 - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule
26 - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
27 - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule and/or The Summer Vacation Makeup Capsule
28 - The "If I Were To Curate My Ultimate Makeup Capsule" Makeup Capsule (aka The "These are My Favorite Products" Makeup Capsule) 
29 - The Sticks and (Gem)Stones Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Colour: Summer Edition Makeup Capsule
30 - The BIC Inspired Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The Pan It! Makeup Capsule
31 - The July 2024 New, Old, or "Is It Time For This To Go?" Makeup Capsule
32 - The Take 2 / Do Over Makeup Capsule and/or The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule 
33 - The Day-to-Night (or Date Night): Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The "Outside My Comfort Zone" Makeup Capsule
34 - The Samples Makeup Capsule and/or The Newness Makeup Capsule 
35 - The August 2024 Throw Down!, Throwback, and/or Throw Out? Makeup Capsule 
36 - The Workhorses Makeup Capsule
37 - The Runway or Red Carpet Inspired Makeup Capsule and/or The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule 
38 - The LatinX Founded / Owned Beauty Brands Makeup Capsule
39 - The September 2024 Throw Down!, Throwback, and/or Throw Out? Makeup Capsule and/or The Brands at SEPHORiA Makeup Capsule

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

lol, soon enough @CynthieLu @ather; results from this battle will be decided soon enough. My battle wear test ends tomorrow. I will say though that I'm not sure whether any of the skin tints I have will top Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation. I just shared my current top 5 favorite foundations with another BIC'er and there are a couple of them, including the Tower 28 in the skin tint category, that I think will be tough (if not impossible) to beat as a favorite. Which makes me wonder how many skin tints makes sense for me to have in my ultimate capsule? For the skin tint category, I'm definitely open to more than 1. 😂🤣😂

@itsfi  what a fun idea - an elimination round capsule! 😂 I haven't finalized this week's capsule yet, but I do have a list of products to possibly declutter as well as my favorites of the month, so I will probably do some combination of the two. I will be interested to see which of your products comes out on top, and which ones end up getting chopped!

Thanks so much @caitbird! It's hard to let go of products I have, whether because I don't want to feel like I'm wasting something or because I just don't want to let go. I've been using these capsules to come up with creative ways to work through my stash that help my left brain and right brain be on board with moving something out of my stash! All while discovering (or rediscovering) the things I do have that I really love! 

This is sooo interesting @itsfi I hope your decisions are as painless as possible when it's comes to cast your votes for elimination or when it's time to sink that ship. 🌊  I am so bad at doing that, your decluttering thou is progressing amazingly this year!

@CynthieLu, thank you. We all have good and bad days when it comes to decluttering. I don't know if consistency is the key but I'm certainly working towards that, in fun & interesting ways. This capsule challenge is as much about finding favorites as it is about passing along products that for whatever reason just aren't a good fit for me. 

Late post for Week 21 - The "My Best Self" Capsule

20240527_124018-01.jpeg20240527_142203-01.jpeg

I had originally planned to do a capsule of some of my favorite products for this week - a sort of 🐐 capsule, if you will (I still might end up doing that at some point). But lately I've been wanting to figure out a quicker and easier version of my makeup routine, and after talking to @itsfi  about it I was inspired to go in a different direction with this week's capsule. I'm calling this my minimalist makeup capsule - it's not exactly no-makeup makeup with the red lip balm - and I am happy to say it only took me about 10 minutes at most, from start to finish, which is much quicker than the more elaborate makeup looks I tend to do. I may still tweak this routine/products and experiment with different variations, but for now I'm happy with it.

Products used:

Milani Supercharged Dewy Skin Primer

Glossier Futuredew Facial Oil-Serum Hybrid 1 oz / 30 mL 

NATASHA DENONA Hy-Glam Brightening & Hydrating Medium to Full Coverage Crease Proof Serum Concealer ... 

Flower Beauty Blush Bomb Color Drops - Bubbly

MILK MAKEUP KUSH Fiber Eyebrow Gel Dub 

Glossier Lash Slick Lift and Lengthening Mascara Black 

Glossier Strawberry Balm Dotcom Lip Balm and Skin Salve Strawberry 

Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mL 

@caitbird  This is a great you but a little extra! Great choices for this capsule!

@ather  thank you so much! 😊

Getting ready in 10 minutes? 🎉 That's so fast! @caitbird and the look dosen't look rushed, just effortlessly beautiful. ❤️ This is so well done! 

I like the thought you put into this capsule and how well everything you picked works for you. I think tweaking and changing it up as you need just makes sense. I feel similarly when I do capsules, I give myself leeway to be flexible and modify as I go.

@CynthieLu  thank you so much! I was pretty pleased with myself for cutting down my routine to something so quick, that was kind of my goal with this capsule. It's fun to sometimes go all out and do a more involved makeup look when I have the time, but I wanted an option that was quicker and easier too. I will definitely be playing around with this look & capsule - trying different variations, swapping in different products, etc.

Love that first photo of all you capsule products lined up @caitbird. And, the second photo? Gorgeous! That lip color looks sensational on you! Whatever you are doing for your skincare, you keep that up! 

That's awesome that you put this look together in 10 minutes or less. 🙌 Now that you have a baseline and products for a minimalist look that you are happy with, it'll be so much fun to experiment with different products / combination of products to see what different looks and variations you can come up with - some just as minimalist and others more advanced. Have fun! 😊

@itsfi  thanks so much, you are so kind! 😊 I really had fun with this capsule, having a quicker routine makes getting ready a lot easier and I don't have to feel so rushed if I have to leave for work afterward. I will definitely be experimenting with variations of this more minimalist look!

Week-In-Review - Week 21: The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

I lost my post twice so this is my "third time's a charm" attempt and will be a much more abbreviated debrief of the hits and misses from this week.

Overall, a good week with my makeup choices - the standouts were the base products, the discontinued Makeup by Mario nude liner in the waterline and a few of the lip products. 

Week 21 - My Best Self Makeup Capsule (edit 1).jpg

Spoiler
❤️  Urban Decay Face Bond Self Setting Waterproof Foundation
❤️  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen
❤️  Gucci 24 Hour Full Coverage Luminous Matte Finish Foundation
❤️  Gisou Honey Infused Hydrating Lip Oil Strawberry Sorbet
❤️  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil Stain Delight- included in a limited edition duo set from Holiday 2023
❤️  Rare Beauty Lip Liner Admired (exclusive to the Rare Beauty Everyday Rose Lip Oil & Lip Liner Duo (Holiday Limited Edition)
❤️  Makeup by Mario matte eyeliner in shade Nude (discontinued) for the lower waterline - there are similar products that work well - Smashbox and Make Up For Ever have some good liners that can be used for the waterline.

Saying "good-bye" to ... 

21 - My Best Self Declutters 1.jpg

Spoiler
🏡  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Kind Words Matte Lipstick Humble # - I was surprised this ended up being a 'no' for me. The formula is nice but the color pulls more warm and more peachy than I expected; it didn't work well on me. It's going to be rehomed

🗑  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick Courage # (gwp) - I wavered on what to do about this one. It goes on smoothly and gives a lovely blurring effect. The color though is one of those that can either be MLBB (my lips but better) on me or it can wash me out and give me that corpse-like look. This one was in between those effects, leaning more towards the latter.

In addition to the two lip products from the Week 21 capsule, I'm also letting go of these beauties - 

21 - My Best Self Declutters 2.jpg

Spoiler
🏡  SWEED Satin Kohl Eyeliner - Bright is too pink for me.

💝  Valentino Very Valentino 24 Hour Long Wear Liquid Foundation LIGR3 (promo gwp), CLINIQUE High Impact Mascara, Benefit Cosmetics Fan Fest Fanning & Volumizing Mascara Hyper Black and the PATRICK TA Major Brow Lamination Gel 0.17 oz/ 5 mL (Sephoria swag) are unopen and will be donated.

🗑  I really like the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - it's a tried-and-true product but I've had this one for far too long - the rubber material of the cap has gone sticky ... very sticky. It's gross 😬 and I'm embarrassed it's gotten to this point. 

💝  The IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream Full Coverage Color Correcting Foundation with SPF 50+ # and Kosas Revealer Skin-Improving Foundation SPF25 with Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide are examples of what can go wrong when I'm not mindful of what I have in my stash - these are unopen duplicates of products I already have - same shade and everything. They were not purchased as backups. They were purchased without my realizing I already have these products, in these shades. 🙄😫 Ugh. Lesson learned. These have been donated.
Declutter Dashboard & Emoji Key
Spoiler
Week-To-Date: 10
Month-To-Date: 16

🏡  = Re-home - Given to a friend, family member, or coworker.
🗑  = Declutter - Tossed.
💝  = Donate - Given to a local women's shelter or not-for-profit charitable organization. 

@itsfi  Oh no that posting glitch is so frustrating!! Great job decluttering and rehoming items. It’s to bad you bought duplicates you must have been super interested in trying them out! 

@ather, the first time it happened, it was ... sigh. 😔 But my own fault for not going about my usual SOP when it comes to putting up longer posts (e.g., copy the post before hitting "Post"). The second time, ugh 😫 I scolded myself for having let it happen ... again. Thankfully, it stuck with this third try. Momentary lapse; well, two lapses. Hahaha! I feel like I've only had 3 unplanned duplicates in recent years so that's a good thing - these 2 and a lip product. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 I can keep up with this decluttering streak. I know it ebbs and flows but if I can keep this up, along with my low buy and continue to shop my stash, I should have a more manageable stash. Well, for most categories at least. 😂🤣😂

Ahhh good old SOPs!! @itsfi  Yay for a more manageable stash! I feel mine is getting very close! 

@itsfi  sorry about the posting glitches, I hate when that happens! I'm glad you had quite a few loves this week, and you were able to declutter several products as well! Seems like a pretty successful week for you! I definitely can relate to losing track of what's in your stash and buying duplicates/more products when you already have a bunch of unopened ones in that particular category...🙈 I am trying to be better, but still working on figuring out a system of keeping track of what I have that actually works for me.

Week 20 Recap: Sleeping Beauties aka Me Loving and Living my Met Gala Dream

I had a lot of fun with that week.  I  was loving Pat's IG, so I thought I would do some advant garde looks (and then go to work? 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️) and I sort of did.  I focused on using maybe just 1-2 colors and Danessa Myricks Beauty Infinite Chrome Waterproof Micropencil Eyeliner (s).  This kind of unlocked PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership VII Eyeshadow Palette - Divine Rose Collection 10 x 0.047 oz./ 1.32 g for me by just focusing on a few colors.  I also really loved a look I did with Mothership V.

Spoiler
1000004518.jpg

Finally got some use out of my tower via laying it with the dark star mascara.

Week 21:  I liked my selection a lot, and I did a really good Smoky eye midweek.  Then I had a reaction to i think the CT pencil.  Or the ND one.  I still don't know.  I'm thinking the CT more so because burgundy in my waterline from ND macro tech in burgundy did the same thing.  The remaining days were simple eye looks and kind of repetitive, which also made me realize that there's not a lot of color variations in rare beauty.  It's very pink, mauve and nudes.. not a bad thing when I'm going for that aesthetic, though.

I also worked in fragrance a la @cianni .  Was really enjoying Chloé Chloé Eau de Parfum 1 oz/ 30 mL with OUAI St. Barts Hair and Body Mist 3.3 oz / 97 ml that it made it into week 22

SPEAKING OF WHICH:

This is a mix of some faves and some lip purgatory items.

1000004726.jpg

Spoiler
1000004728.jpg

No regrets on getting this bag.  It's perfect for these challenges.

PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership II Eyeshadow Palette – Sublime 

Urban Decay Vice Lip Chemistry Lip Stain - Wired Collection Gravity(Wired actually)

LAWLESS Forget The Filler Lip Plumper Line Smoothing Gloss Rosy Outlook 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Rouge Gel Lip Liner 17 molasses 

Nars blush in Luster, Savage and Behave.  I really love Luster.  I can use it to diffuse strong blushes and on its own.

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter Reveal 

DIOR Forever Glow Maximizer Longwear Liquid Highlighter 017 Nude (This works so well as an eyeshadow and eyeshadow base, perfect for an easy glam look)

Item Beauty Brow Pen 

Danessa Myricks Beauty Linework Paintbrush Fluid Liquid Eyeliner 0.034 oz / 1 ml 

PAT McGRATH LABS Dark Star Volumizing Mascara 0.43 fl oz / 13 mL 

Tower 28 Beauty Mini MakeWaves Lengthening + Volumizing Mascara Jet#

Nars Bronzer Casino

GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI Line It Up Clean 24-Hr Gel Pencil Waterproof Eyeliner Bathwater, seeing this on @Samtian reminded me of how pretty this is.  I hate how soft and crumbly it is, though.

Danessa Myricks Beauty Infinite Chrome Waterproof Micropencil Eyelinerhave made it back in (Amethyst, Emerald and Opal)

MUFE lip, I forgot the name and shade.

Uoma Beauty's Boss Glosses

PAT McGRATH LABS LUST: Lip Gloss Flesh 4 

UD primer in Caffeine

Sephora Microsmooth Foundation 

OUAI St. Barts Hair and Body Mist 3.3 oz / 97 ml 

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Blurring Under Eye Powder Yellow 

ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr On 'Til Dawn Mattifying Waterproof Setting Spray 3.4 oz/ 143 mL (finally remembered to include it)

Ami Colé Skin Melt Talc-Free Loose Setting Powder Deep / Medium 

@danielledanielle  Great title!! Love it! 😍 Awesome choices! 

I love your title for your capsule this week 🦋 and the look you shared with us. @danielledanielle  That is *stunning* eyeshadow 🤩 and your placement of products is so fun. Your inspiring me right now! 

I hope your reaction to whichever liner was non severe. Eye stuff is or can be so intense. 😦

@CynthieLu, thanks.  It's more of an annoyance.  I pretty much spend the rest of the day squinting and blinking, then eye wash or eye drops to try to relieve it, but then my eye decides to flush it out in its own *ahem* gross manner.  It's a hindrance if I had something in mind for an eye look, or you know, don't want to squint and look like a pirate half of the day.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos602
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1
  • Week 1 - Workday 2
  • Week 1 - Going out