Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multi-tasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous @missjeanie  for the repurposed theme.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 6.12.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

WEEK 27 (July 1 - 7) - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule and/or The Summer Vacation Makeup Capsule - Let's celebrate our indie brands for the week of Independence Day - curate a capsule with one or more products from indie brands. OR, put together a capsule with makeup you'd take with you on vacation this summer - an actual summer vacay or your dream summer vacation. It'll be fun to hear about everyone's vacation spots - do you like to go someplace warm or cool? 

WEEK 28 (July 8 - 14) - The "If I Were To Curate My Ultimate Makeup Capsule" Makeup Capsule (aka The "These are My Favorite Products" Makeup Capsule) - We're over halfway through the year, BIC beauties. Have you discovered or rediscovered any favorite makeup items from the first half of the year? Show us what products would make up your ideal makeup capsule. I know I'm curious to see everyone's most-loved or "go to" products. 

WEEK 29 (July 15 - 21) - The Sticks and (Gem)Stones Makeup Capsule - Have some stick makeup in your stash that could use a little love? Time to bring 'em out include one or more stick product in a capsule (thanks @danielledanielle missjeanie). Stick makeup not your thing? All good; in an homage to our previous Pops Of Colour theme (thank you @missjeanie), a second option for this week's capsule can focus on one or more products that add a pop of color to your look. The pop doesn't need to be a gemstone shade - I just added that hook for the sticks-and-stone theme! Feeling adventurous - curate a capsule championing both themes.

WEEK 30 (July 22 - 28) - The BIC Inspired Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The Pan It! Makeup Capsule - Okay, BIC Beauties, here we go - we have a new capsule theme as well as a well loved one - assemble a capsule of one or more beauties inspired or enabled by the fabulous members of our Sephora Beauty Insider Community? Or, put together a look with one or more items from your project pan. Or, meld the two prompts together for a capsule of both BIC inspired and pan it! products!

WEEK 31 (July 29 - August 4) - The New, Old or "Is It Time For This To Go?" Makeup Capsule - Did you pick up some new (or new-to-you) beauties this month that you want to play with (or keeping playing with)? Are there one or more tried-and-true products, or sleeping beauties in your collection that you want or need to put to use? Or, are there products in your stash that need to be put up on the chopping block (such an awesome theme, @cianni)? Here's your chance to curate a capsule with one or more products from one or any combination of these categories. 

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 6.10.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule
22 - The  May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
23 - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

All are invited to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. I'm excited to see what results from this experiment. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@caitbird, the mini RB blushes only came out recently, maybe in the last month or 2 months. 

Ooooh, an all 🐐 capsule? 😍 It would be fun to see what everyone’s capsule would look like and to hear why certain products are included in a capsule like that. 

Tower 28 has two different types of lip glosses - one glossy and shiny and one milky and creamy. I like both, depending on the look and feel I’m going for. I like the darker shades in the milky version; they show up better on my lips, which naturally have a little more pigment to them.

@itsfi  ah, that makes sense, I thought the mini blushes might be a more recent addition. Yes, I would love to see what would be included in everyone's 🐐 capsule, I think that would be so interesting!

I don't think I realized Tower 28 had 2 different types of lip gloss...off to do some more investigating 👀

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets tempted by your product descriptions. @itsfi. but I love reading them. 😄

Your presentation photo of your capsule this week is so elegant. Gucci's mist really stands out to my eyes. 

@CynthieLu , thank you. The Gucci mist is a fabulous product (this is my 3rd bottle) that brings back good memories. 

@itsfi  That Gucci foundation.  Ugh, there was a previous iteration of this I sampled with a primer and could never bring myself to get it here (trés 🫰🏼🫰🏼 ) and then it went POOF! This is a call to that one, and I'll just silently pine for it.  I'm very tempted to get this based on your feedback.  You temptress, always! 😂

@danielledanielle, I feel like we all go back and forth between secretly pining for a product and being the catalyst for ... inspiring others to look into something. Tempted. Temptress. We all play those roles interchangeably around here. 😂🤣😂

I don't know how I forgot about this one; well, that's not entirely true. I know partly why - so many other foundations to play with! 🤣 If you have a full coverage foundation that gives you a demi-matte, but fresh, lit from within radiance, I'd say, take your time with getting samples of shades for color-matching and to see how it wears, and then wait for a sale or multiplier event or a promo that interests you. But, if you don't have foundation similar to this one, then ... 

Week 21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule

21 - My Best Self.jpg

I'll probably have a couple of different capsules this week. Meant to post this last night, but fell asleep before I got the chance. This is The “My Best Self” Makeup Capsule: The Quick & Easy Monday Morning Edit 😉

Mondays. They have a habit of creeping up on me way more quickly than I care for. 😂 I love how all these beauties go on quickly & pretty much effortlessly to give me a pulled together look, with a pop of fun a la the Gisou lip oil! 💋 This will probably be my go-to for a couple more days this week, including today (Tuesday). If allergies strike, it may just be the lash curler, or the lash curler and the eyeliner on my lower waterline.

Urban Decay Face Bond Self Setting Waterproof Foundation

MERIT Flush Balm Cream Blush Cheeky 

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick Golden Bronze 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 

Makeup by Mario eyeliner (discontinued) - I think this is the shade Light I or Nude - it's no longer available but there are similar products out there - used in my lower waterline, this helps to give my eyes that more open, awake, brightened look

Gisou Honey Infused Hydrating Lip Oil Strawberry Sorbet 

Shiseido Eyelash Curler Eyelash Curler 

@itsfi  gotta love quick and effortless makeup! One of these days I would love to figure out a more streamlined makeup routine that I can do in less time - I have my routine of tried-and-true products that I like in pretty much each category, but I would like to cut down on how long it takes me to do my makeup at least some of the time.

I have never tried an eyelash curler, interestingly. I have heard that the Shiseido is one of the best, though.

Would you say the Urban Decay foundation is your favorite base product these days? Or do you like different ones depending?

How streamlined are you looking for @caitbird ?

@danielledanielle  I am not really sure - my thought was that I would try cutting out some products until I got to however many would allow me to do my makeup in, say 10 or 15 minutes. But today I actually did a very minimalist look that I was pretty happy with, with just 8 products, and that took me around 10 minutes I think. I will post that capsule tomorrow 😁

Wait what??!! You’ve never tried an eyelash curler @caitbird? Those are your natural lashes? Enhanced just by mascara?!’ What?!!! Impressive. And beautiful! 😍 

How long does it generally take for you to do your makeup? How much time would you like your routine to take? 

I switch up my base products, depending on my mood or the occasion. I typically rotate between 2 base products during the work week - a skin tint and a medium coverage foundation. But these capsule challenges have changed that a little bit. My favorite current favorite base products are: 

Skin tint -  Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation 15 Melrose 

Light to medium coverage - Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Perfect Glow Flawless Oil-Free Foundation 

Medium long-wearing coverage - Urban Decay Face Bond Self Setting Waterproof Foundation or HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 110 Light... 

Full overage long-wearing - Armani Beauty Power Fabric + Longwear High Cover Foundation SPF 25 4 or Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 

@itsfi  haha thanks! I am lucky enough to be blessed with long lashes, courtesy of my dad. They are naturally fairly light and straight, but I am usually happy with how they look with just a good mascara.

I've never really timed myself doing my makeup but I think it generally takes me about 25-30 minutes to do a full face look, which usually involves some kind of eyeshadow look lately. That seems like a long time to me, but maybe it isn't really - I have no idea how long it would take most people to apply the equivalent number of products. I don't mind taking that much time sometimes, but I would really like to figure out a routine/products for a more streamlined simple/no-makeup makeup look that would ideally take closer to 15 or even 10 minutes. I don't know how doable that will be for me, but it's something I'd like to work on.

Thanks for sharing your favorite base products! I feel like I have been using the same ones for quite a while, and I'd like to try some new things. I'm also still trying to figure out my best shade match - I am trying to determine if my undertone is more pinkish or peach, and also when I got shade matched at my nearest Sephora I feel like the match I got wasn't really right (or else I have been wearing the wrong shades for years, and possibly am blind??), which just confused me further 😓

@caitbird, that is something to think about - how much time for a full face. I imagine it depends on the person, what a "full face" entails, etc. I think you could probably shave off some time the more comfortable you are with using a certain set group of products too. When I have all my products laid out in front of me and I know exactly what I'm going to use, I can do a simple, better than bare look (foundation, concealer, 1 cheek product (usually bronzer or blush), one-and-done eyeshadow shade, curl lashes, mascara and a lip product) in 5-7 minutes. I'm not sure about a full face, but I feel like I have done my hair and makeup to go out, in 20-30 minutes? 

I had at one point wanted to do a full face makeup capsule for the week, with a sub-capsule that was more of a quick-and-easy look. I've done some variation of that but not exactly as I intended. Our conversation has made me want to revisit my approach and put more effort into doing what I had originally planned for myself - curate a more full face look and curate from that set of products a more streamlined / more minimal no-makeup makeup / better than bare makeup look. I'll plan to try that or to put more effort into trying it with next month's capsules.  Maybe that's something that might work for you? If you've pulled out the products you want to try and it's more of a collection of products for a full face, maybe try shopping that capsule to put together a more paired down version of a look? Just a thought. It might be a doable way to see what, at a minimum, you want in your makeup look.

@itsfi  that makes sense, that everyone's definition of what is involved in a "full face" makeup look is different. I guess for me it involves several products and steps that I might skip if I'm pressed for time or just looking to do something more quick and easy - i.e. highlighter and sometimes multiple blush and/or highlighter (e.g. cream + powder), setting powder, brow pencil, multiple shades of eyeshadow for a more complex eye look, etc. But even when I do what I would consider a "full face" I usually don't use bronzer or contour, which I know a lot of people would consider necessary steps/products.

I really like your idea of having a more full makeup routine capsule and a kind of sub-capsule within that of selected products for a simpler and quicker look. I think I want to try doing that too. Maybe next month?

I was able today to do a more minimalist/simple makeup look that I was pretty happy with, with just 8 products, and that took me about 10 minutes. I think I could shave a few minutes off that time with practice too. I plan to try to replicate that tomorrow to see if I can do it any faster, and I will post my capsule/look here too 😊

Oh, 10 minutes is very good @caitbird! That sounds like a great baseline to have for a more minimalist / simple look It's so practical too - 10 minutes, not too long, and not so short that you might feel rushed. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you time-wise as you recreate that look again and again. Yes, yes, definitely give the capsule & subcapsule approach a try. I feel like that's how an ultimate makeup capsule wardrobe would work for me. I'm going to aim for that concept about 2 weeks per month, since I imagine there will be some months where the majority of my looks will just be on the more minimal, quick & easy side. 

I completely understand that - I went through periods where I loved wearing blush and others when I steered clear of it and wouldn't use it even when I was doing a "full" face. It's not one size fits all. You know what works best for you and what is a full face of makeup for you. Yeah, contour - I still need to learn how to do that. 😅

@itsfi  learning how to contour is definitely on my makeup to-do list...one of these days 😅

I hope to be able to shave a bit of time off of my "minimalist capsule" look with more practice, but for now I'm pretty happy with it. And even with only a handful of types of products, there's still plenty of room for variation by using different brands/products for different effects, or adding one or two "optional" products now and then, which is nice. Even though it's a much simpler look, I don't think I'll get bored with it too quickly.

lol @caitbird, “one of these days” is an oft repeated sentiment on my end. 😆 Like a broken record player that keeps repeating itself - “one of these days”, “one of these days” … 😝 So many things on the “to do” list, so little time. 

Week ??? I'll add this later, I barely know what today is...

Week 21! GOT IT

I planned for this week, and went the Rare Beauty route.  I didn't realize how much I actually have, this was a line when it came out I was like.."it's nice, but not really for me.". Well, so much for that.  I do like the vibes, even though it oddly commoditizes mental health, but not in an off putting way.. Just more leery of that it's putting it on the eyes of the public while simultaneously selling me on makeup.  And here I am using it 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️

1000004572.jpg

Spoiler
1000004575.jpg

If it fits, it hits

1000004576.jpg

1000004577.jpg

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Perfect Strokes Universal Volumizing Mascara Black 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Kind Words Matte Lipstick Gifted 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Kind Words Matte Lipstick Strong 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Kind Words Lip Liner Strong 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick Strengthen 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick Fearless 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick Inspire 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Lip Soufflé Matte Cream Lipstick Transform 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight Transcend 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlight Captivate 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter Reveal 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter Reflect 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter Mesmerize 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Virtue 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Faith 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Warm Wishes Effortless Bronzer Sticks Good Energy 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm Nearly Neutral(GWP)

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter Flaunt 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Luminous Powder Blush Truth 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Luminous Powder Blush Cheer (Selena's custom shade) 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Luminous Powder Blush Joy 

Ironically, I smashed Cheer, Truth and Mesmerize while putting this together.  Not great for my mental health, but I smooshed them back into the pan as much as I could.  Y'know, all these were shipped to me, no breaking at all .. But at my own hand 😭🤦🏽‍♀️

Spoiler
Also, there's stuff actually missing 🤣, I don't know where Happy is, liquid mesmerize is on the way, and I have the liner but I didn't want to open it

PATRICK TA Major Dimension III Matte Eyeshadow Palette 

Danessa Myricks Beauty Linework Paintbrush Fluid Liquid Eyeliner 0.034 oz / 1 ml(always, I think last week was one of the few weeks without)

NARS Laguna Talc-Free Bronzer Powder Casino(but make it talc-y)

PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Concealer& Fenty Beauty by Rihanna We're Even Hydrating Longwear Waterproof Concealer (these will probably come out, since I later found foils of Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer to play with)

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer Riri 

KVD Beauty Super Pomade Vegan Eyeliner, Shadow & Brow Pigment Medium Brown 

PAT McGRATH LABS Permagel Ultra Lip Pencil(do we not have bloodlust here anymore?!?)

CT Eyeliner...I forget the name of this, trying to get myself to use it

Item Beauty Brow Pen

UD caffeine eye primer

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Blurring Under Eye Powder Yellow 

Sephora powder foundation

@danielledanielle  so much Rare Beauty, wow! I haven't tried that much by this brand but I've really liked what I have tried so far. Sorry to hear you had some trouble with some of your powder blushes and highlighters breaking - I've definitely been there (I almost cried when I dropped Enlighten and it smashed - I did my best to press it back in, but I loved it so much I actually bought another backup too).

@danielledanielle  Wow! I am impressed with the amount of rare beauty you have!!! 

Where do the days go sometimes? @danielledanielle Some days it seems everything feels like just a blur. 

I think Rare Beauty walks on the positive side of commoditization if that's possible, or that's the feeling it gives me.  But I do like open conversations about mental health and removing the fear/stigma around talking about what's really going on within ourselves. 💙 

I'm sorry to hear you had some breakage with your pans. We've all been there and done the dreaded drop. I hope they did well when you pushed them back in. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos370
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1