Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.27.2024]

Spoiler
Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)
Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. OR show us what beauties you picked up during the Sephora Savings Event. Now's the time to play (or to keep playing) with that newness (and those beloved restocks) you hauled during the sale! 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@missjeanie  So many great products you picked out for pops of colour!! Such a spring vibe! 

Thanks @ather !  I don't wear much colour wise so it was nice to break some of these out of hiding!

You have so many wonderful products @missjeanie ! So fun to see them. I think there should be an expansion of Gucci shades as well. What a good formula. How I miss Bite! Agree with you! I think it’s my most missed brand too!😭

@Sunnysmom Making it to a Lip Lab is a must on my bucket list now.  I'm still hoping for a Bite comeback but...  

They’re so fun @missjeanie , hope you can too!  I really enjoyed my one experience ! I’d so love that comeback! 

Ooh those is a fun looking capsule. I haven't seen Tropics on BIC in awhile. I can picture those beautiful pops of color. @missjeanie 😍 

We had similar weather here, winter was looking like it was out the door.. and then snow storm and some chilly temperatures. I think it was just winters last hurrah before leaving for the year. 

@CynthieLu I haven't pulled Tropics out in a while either!  It was fun to play with an older palette that hasn't gotten much love lately.  Ughhhh I should be grateful that we didn't have a bad winter at all, but... I'm ready for spring and summer lol, this last ditch effort by winter is not for me. 

Oh wow, that dark blue eye day sounds phenomenal @missjeanie💙 I'm with you on Gucci expanding their lip range - when they first launched at Sephora, I had a "tradition" of picking up a lipstick (usually a new one that came out) from their brand, but that's been put on pause for the last couple of sales. 😥 I mean, my wallet is happy about that; or, it would be if I didn't find something else to pick up. 😆 

"Finding those gems I'd forgotten about in my stash." Yes!!! 👊 Shopping my stash has been a lot of fun. Eye opening, too. 

Your capsules the past few week have been full of amazing products. The MAC mascara is done?! Yay to a decluter, or empties! 

lol @itsfi There's ALWAYS something else to pick up lol.  I'm trying very hard to figure out what is a need for me this sale season.  The Capsule Challenge has been very eye opening about how much I have in my stash and how fast I go through certain products!

Wow, good for you @missjeanie! That's impressive. I've put together a list of things / categories that I am not supposed to buy post sale through essentially the summer. This should be interesting...

@itsfi Smart... I should do this... I won't... but I should. 

Heh @missjeanie , normally I'd goad you with "pics or it didn't happen," but your opening sentence just made me laugh.  I'm also in the "hey, look I'm here" mentality these days, so let's move on like you said 🤣

Thank you about the Nars lip oil!  Whenever the "what's the best lip oils?" question comes up, I half remember to mention Nars.  It's the right consistency.  I feel like everyone leans towards the Dior one, which IMO isn't it post reformulation. Anyhow, for Nars  I got the Laguna LE one and I'm mad they didn't make it permanent.  I think they still make one, but it's Orgasm.  That purple one looks gorgeous 😍... You're so right, they really should expand these.

@danielledanielle Lol, I could have sworn I took photos... alas.  I've got stuff splashed all over my kitchen table to take photos of and it's just gotten out of hand remembering what I have and haven't done lately.  Four day work week coming up and I'm hoping to get that table cleaned off before people arrive here for Easter dinner lol!

I had totally forgotten about the Nars lip oil, and I agree, I think it's nicer than the Dior!  I did go onto their website and it looks like the purple one is still available!  I don't actually have any that would be even close to a shade dupe for the Laguna, so..... we'll see how that pans out.  If I have a bad week at work it just might arrive to perk me up!

@missjeanie  it's still available ?!?

💨💨💨💨

Little behind on posting.... Between the logging in bug and then year end at work... But better late than never! 

For the BIC influenced week I chose to go in a bit of a different direction.  Almost everything I own is BIC influence at this point.  Instead I chose products that were BIC gifted.  Because at this point BIC has been so generous that I can absolutely do a full face!

429307716_927493628963102_3978689285161957916_n (1).jpg

Spoiler
-SC Clean blush and shadow palettes are both in the same category in my mind.  Easy to use, easy to blend, easy to pull off, and easy to disappear quickly.  They just don't really last on my skin.  That said, I did find that if I wanted to slip them into my purse they were very easy to top up with just my fingers mid-way through the day.  Not a favourite formula but I do think they have a place.  
-ND Love Face Palette -- The blush and highlighter in here have better lasting power for me.  The highlighter is too dark as a highlight and I'm not really a highlight gal to start with.  That said... makes a great shadow.  The shadows in here aren't all my favourite shades from ND, but I can make them work for sure, the pale pink got a good work out this week as an easy base shadow for me. 
-SC Big by Definition Mascara -- This one... not for me.  It's still a 'wet' formula and I've opened this one quite a few times hoping that it would eventually dry out.  It also gives what I'd call a very natural look by way of volume and length.  I haven't tossed this yet.  But I should. 
-Haus Lab Lip Oil.  This isn't my favourite lip oil or lip gloss, but it's a combo of the two in my mind.  This would be a good one to pan at some point.  I like it, I'm just not in love with it.  The shade is great for me though.  
-MUFE Lip Liner -- How had I not tried these on my own?? MUFE is a brand that I generally love and these are such a standout product.  I need more shades.  They are creamy enough that they don't pull, but hard enough that i'm not just using a lipstick in pencil form.  They remind me a lot of MAC liners that I fell in love with in the 90s and also remind me that I should be buying more of those as well.  While I do enjoy not having to carry a sharpener when I travel... this style of lip liner just works best for me. 
-Cali Ray Lip and Cheek stain... works best as a cheek product for me.  The shade is a bit too pale/white based for my lips, though I'd swatch other shades and contemplate a purchase for science.  As a cheek product it's nice.  What this product lacks for me is the ability to stand out among my collection.  I do see how this could be a great product for a teenager just starting a collection, looking for an easy to use, fresh face product. 
-SC Translucent Powder - Not for me.  I've tried using this with a sponge, a puff and a brush, light hand, heavy hand buffed in, baking (haven't done that in a decade) and it just looks heavy no matter what I do and no matter what base product I've been using with it.  Do I try and pan it?  Or pass it on for someone else to try?  
-GXVE Matte Lip in Original.  I'm working on being more comfortable in a red lip.  I do like that this a true red.  I however prefer more blue based shades.  The component feels lighter than it should, and combined with the fact that it's a matte and I prefer tinted balms, means that this doesn't get much use.  I am however committed to giving it more use. 
-GXVE quad shadows are in my project pan this year.  I find the palest shade is dark enough for me to use as a one and done, and I'll be able to easily finish that one.  The other two cooler shades are darker and will take longer.  The fourth is warmer tone and ... I recognize I won't likely finish that one.  The formula can be quite soft, but I don't mind it.  At this point in life though, I want to love all four shades in a quad.  
-Charlotte Tillbury Lipstick in Pillow Talk.  In the past I've always found this shade to run really warm on me.  It still does.  I'm not a lover of the shade on me, but I can easily see how it's a favourite for many.  I'm keeping this almost as a 'control' shade for swatches etc, but It'll never get much use from me. 
-Make up by Mario cream bronzer.  I never would have bought this on my own.  I don't use a lot of bronzer and I'm not generally into anything Kardashian adjacent.  I was fully prepared to hate this.  I love it.  It's a great shade, not too orange or yellow, goes on lightly, blends easily, builds easily.  What a fantastic product. 
-SC Best Skin Ever Concealer.  This... isn't it for me.  I find it's heavy for my under eye area which is where I generally use concealer.  I have tried it as a foundation and it's not bad, but again, feels a bit heavy for me.  I'm going to try it again with other skincare underneath in the summer months as a foundation.
- SC Best Skin Ever Foundation.  This shade is too dark for me and it oxidizes after application.  I'm going to try mixing it with a moisturizer or primer in the summer months to see if it's salvageable for me as a base product as it's also a bit heavy looking on my skin for my preferences. 
-Caliray primer.  I'm actually almost done with this.  I like the scent, I like that it doesn't feel heavy.  It does tone down shine from my SPF, but I'm not convinced it makes my make up last any longer than not using anything.  Will finish it up, but likely wouldn't purchase.

@missjeanie  Oooo great pics!!! All great products! 

@ather I knew keeping these boxes would come in handy!

The reflection on the ND got me to, I had to look twice to figure out what I was seeing. 😅 It would be cute thou if it had been real. 😉 Awesome tribute to your gratis collection, making it into its own capsule, and you picked the most fitting back drop too.

@CynthieLu Pretty much everything I've bought the last 10 or so years is BIC influenced... This felt like a good cheat lol

I like your remix to the theme. It's a good way mix old and new @missjeanie 

I almost didn't recognize the ND palette with the reflect.  Kinda wish it came in this version, though 🤣

@danielledanielle lol, how fun would it be to have a BIC*ND Collab!!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos285
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1