Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Let's Talk About NARS!

A lot of the other big beauty brands have their own threads now, so I thought, why not NARS? Let's share news about new collections, feedback on products, etc here.

The audacious thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Show-Me-Your-Audacious-Collection/m-p/1695820#M10941

SPRING 2019:

Spoiler

5B03C763-5B66-43D5-B5CD-CAD2FFB20D6A.png4B8872CB-9B16-4C47-A6A8-A5A5EB2C60B9.png0343224C-CB77-46EC-86C7-1E6ECEF0E4E2.pngD1989960-1CCB-41F1-8BC9-A04A37EEA659.png75A2963F-9578-4410-B0E9-5F9A2E8C0EC2.png2D212BE6-6675-4764-A909-009E6B40173B.pngB41A18B5-0E0F-4B2F-930C-6AD6D4324D72.png

APRIL 2019: NARS x CONNOR TINGLEY

Spoiler

Have you picked up anything from the collection so far? Do tell!

Re: Let's Talk About NARS!

You look gorgeous!  It seems that you already have great skin and the tint enhances the beauty that is already there.

I may have to check this out, along with the Multiple.

The tint looks really amazing! Your skin helps a lot, of course, but it's just enough color and brightness to help with any mild ruddiness, without being too dewy; it's actually slightly more satin than I thought it might be based on the name (pretty much what I wish bM Complexion Rescue were). I just looked up the Alice Multiple; that's one of my favorite cheek shades (with peach) for people with fair-light skin, despite the constant recommendations of baby pink.

I wonder why Sephora still hasn't gotten the other shades. The associate I spoke to guessed it had to do with some sort of exclusivity period, though I guess the deal could always be with Nordstrom (I haven't checked other places). . . .

NYMag has a nice interview with Charlotte Gainsbourg about the collab. It's titled "Charlotte Gainsbourg Has Always Seen Herself As the ‘Ugly Duckling,’" if you want to search for the full article.

Here's an interesting excerpt:

Which of the names for products is most nostalgic or evocative to you?

The names came last. But it was a surprise. I didn’t know I would have to come up with names. Each name means something, it wasn’t just random names. They all mean specific things, sometimes a little secret.

For example, Rue Allent is a little street close to my father’s house where we used to walk our dog. It’s a tiny street so nobody really knows about it. Old Church Street means a lot. It was my grandparent’s place and where we used to sleep when we came to London. She died, so it doesn’t exist anymore. It’s a very dear memory.

There’s also Jo [the name of my daughter]. There’s Jeannette, which is named for my mother [Jane Birkin]. I didn’t want to call it Jane. But Jeannette — my father would call her that.

Thanks for this.  I've been wondering about her naming a lip product "London Clinic".  Doesn't really make one think of a beautiful woman with perfect lipstick, y'know?

I've been wondering about that one too.  I'm glad to know there is a meaning behind it, whatever it may be.

NARS_GlowTint.jpg

Swatches for the fair / light spectrum - hope this helps!:

L to R: NARS x Charlotte Gainsbourg Hydrating Glow Tint in 'Fair' and then 'Light' ... NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in 'Finland' and Velvet Matte Skin Tint in 'Finland'.

*Note that I had to make the Glow Tint swatches a bit heavy in order to show up.

'Fair' and 'Light' seem to be approximately the same level of "pale" but with differing undertones, and 'Light' is paler and less yellow than both 'Finland' formulations. 'Fair' is a beautiful pale rose quartz pink that I think could be a good highlight on a wide range of skintones, while 'Light' is probably my ideal all-over color for a tinted moisturizer / sheer foundation. For reference, I find 'Finland' to be slightly too deep / saturated yellow for me.

(Thanks to @TKLJ for pointing me toward getting samples at Nordies and @jemly for discussing / suggesting / confirming relative color comparisons. It's always a collaborative effort here. ;))

Ooh thank you for the swatches!  I use Nars Finland so this is super helpful. I wonder if Sephora will get the other tint shades back in stock?

@Gwenhwyfar

The light shade looks like a really good match for you.  Nice!

NARS has15% cash back on Ebates now. It's been going on for a few days and I think today is the last day!

My review of the Charlotte Gainsbourg Hydrating Glow Tint and the NARS Jeanette multistick.

I mixed a tiny dab of the the Hydrating tint in medium and medium-dark shades.  The formula is a light moussy gel.  It leaves the skin looking like skin, with a bit of a tint.  It takes on the finish of your skin.   It doesn't control nor exacerbate oils.  

If you like a light finish, skin like, and find a shade (or are willing to mix).....I recommend this.

I used the Jeanette stick on my cheeks.  It is a balmy formula, and I love it!  You can blend it quite easily.  Although the colour looks deep, you don't have to use a light hand.  It blends easily and gives a flushed appearance.  This might go in my handbag.  I need to get Alice.

Swatches of the NARS Charlotte Gainsbourg Hydrating Tint @malday.  I will mix the two shades and try it on today.  The texture is like a moussy gel. 

Top:      Medium-Dark (undertone is quite orange)

Bottom: Medium (when blended it doesn't seem as light)

20170513_094422-1 (Large).jpg

20170513_094547 (Large).jpg

Anyone have thoughts on how this compares to the Velvet Matte skin tints?

@Madeline7

They are not similar at all.

Velvet Matte skin tint is a misnomer.  It isn't a tint, it is a full on medium-full coverage foundation that has a satin-matte finish.

The Hydrating tint is sheer/light, not matte, and a gel like light formula.

Thank you! Medium still looks a little dark and light looks really light so I may have to pass on this product 😞

I was worried about the same thing, but the color sheers out so much that it's really forgiving. I was torn between light and medium, and ended up going with light from Nordstrom, per the advice of the Nars rep. and even after spending last week at the beach, it still gives a nice finish to the skin without washing out all of my color.

I contemplated buying both and mixing, but I honestly don't know if that's necessary.

Thank you for posting @greenchilli!

Medium looks similar to the NARS TM shade I can wear, so perhaps I will check this out. 

I picked up the medium because the light looked so light in the pictures, and to me, there is a definite orange undertone. It sheers out quite a bit, but I think I'll end up in the middle of light and medium. The medium almost reminds me of Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in Sand, if that helps.

@Mochapj

I think you would like the medium.  It has a slight yellow undertone as well.

Thanks @greenchilli, I'm right in the middle. 🙄 I guess I'll pass. 

@mrsbaineI'm in the middle of two shades as well (Light vs. Medium) but the difference is almost negligible on my skin once applied, since this product is so sheer. I got samples of both to test how it wears, but I think I'm going to be purchasing Light despite it being a little bit you know... light, because it's a better fit for my undertones.

@mrsbaine

You are definitely right in the middle.  We are quite similar in skin tone - you being more neutral and me more yellow.

I wasn't sure if I could find a shade to match me, there is so little out there.  I might have passed myself.  Now that I have both, I decided to keep them and mix.  For science.

testing