Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Not really but it is very good anyone who have the same kinds of ...

I agree.  Thanks to the wonderful women on this post who did the research and came up with clarifying shampoo to stop the Olaplex hair loss!! I went to the closest store and bought Alberto V05 clarifying because I had nothing to lose. If my hair loss trajectory didn't stop; I would be bald. Within a month of using I am back to normal shedding. I am still experiencing breakage as the hair I am left with is destroyed.  Here's hoping for new hair growth! I have bald spots ( some the size of a dime) all over my head. I will post if my hair grows back and what that hair is like.  

I have been using Paul Mitchell shampoo 2 for over a month which the girl at Ulta told me was a clarifying shampoo and when I look this up it does seem to be a clarifying shampoo but my hair is still shedding!!! Maybe this clarifying shampoo is not strong enough? I am getting really defeated here. 

Try a different clarifying shampoo.

Yea I’m going to try that.

my dermatologist is so Insistent that it’s not the olaplex I don’t even know what to try anymore. 

she thinks that it from stress or a reaction from the vaccine. This mystery is taking the biggest toll on my mental health every day

I understand, I was so depressed with my hair loss...

I agree with the answer above, try another clarifying shampoo. I still recommend the "Tresemmé deep cleansing for all hair type" shampoo. Give it a go for a month and tell us if it helped. Don't loose hope, we didn't and we are better, there is still hope for you too

Thank you. I am going to try and buy that shampoo tomorrow. 

Yes. Don't give up hope. Keep trying and stay positive.  Olaplex needs to be sued off the face of the planet. Keep us posted.  🙏 I'll let you know if any of my hair starts to grow back. 

I will … it’s still my gut feeling that this is olaplex fault even if my dermatologist doesn’t believe it. 

I posted a while back as my hair loss started liver a year ago. I saw a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss after getting the regular blood work and seeing my doctor. The dermatologist agreed was from Olaplex and gave me steroid cream for my scalp. I went through two prescriptions. I had cut my hair short and she said to refrain from any processing for a while. After couple months I got the green light that processing was ok. My hair seemed to be getting better but had a turn back. She said the fall out is from the product but the breakage is processing on the damaged hair. 
I saw the question about oily scalp. I for sure had that. My hair would look like hadn’t been washed in long time but had just been washed. I also experienced tingling on the crown. All of that went away and hasn’t come back.  My key will be to watch the processing as my hair is still extremely more fragile than before. I currently have hair extensions to try and give most of it a break. They have been in 2.5 months. This allows processing only on top and hopefully heat from styling is mostly on the extensions. I don’t live the extensions but was desperate. The dermatologist also suggested PRP, which I decided not to do but could be worth looking into. 

You said you posted a while back? What kind of time line are we looking at?? I need to know when my hair will stop shedding 

I used Olaplex Dec 2020 and January 2021. Quit and cut off hair. It took only a few months for hair to seem better but not the same. I use Davines Momo shampoo and conditioner and stay clear of anything else (I’ve used that for years so know my hair likes it). 

Did you have inflammation on your scalp? ( reason for steroid cream) Olaplex needs to be sued out of business.  !! 

I think so. My scalp tingled but oddly was after quit using and while looked oily. The steroid cream seemed to help a lot. Used two prescriptions of. Nicely hair growth is a side effect of the cream.

My derm is recommending steroid injections into the scalp I wonder if this is the same thing?

I have experienced tons of hair breakage from Olaplex and unfortunately, I am being silenced by the company and by this site, who won't post my review! I hope other people are warned: Olaplex causes a lot of breakage and damage. I suggest making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which I am going to do. 

I think you have provided very nice treatment oil I guess for it that would be very good ...

OMG. I’m not crazy!! Any bonding hair stuff makes my hair awful.  Possibly a chemical reaction with my water. Idk. But something happened. 

Hey everyone, I want to update you:

My hairloss started in the beginning of November literally washing out the Olaplex in the shower. I only used it twice, once per week. and I had hairloss and a lot in the beginning 170+ hairs a day, then at some point went down to 120-150 hairs a day. I used the 2 clarifying shampoos from tresemme that I posted here before in each shower and then mid December as suddenly as it started the hairloss stopped! 

For 1.5 weeks my hair completely stopped falling out and also it felt 'saver' and better in terms of in my scalp, like something just changed. I never had covid before, but then got Covid over Christmas even though I didn't see people or anything. Really mild case, light fever in the first night and 2 days of body ache... but then on the 3rd day of my covid isolation my hair started falling out again! And I was like what the .... that was honestly the worst part of covid for me, but it only lasted for a week! So that stopped completely now since then thank god. 

I did move on from the clarifying shampoos (used it for 1 month, I wished I should've used it directly) to the moisturizing shampoo and conditioner I'm attaching here. And I'm also using the Shu Umera Hair Oil which is really amazing and not crazy oily, like the hair really soaks it up and it makes it super soft. Def recommend that one. I posted it here before. 

I also was in contact with a clinic called  regenerative medicine la and they treat hairloss as well as other things cause I didn't know how long this episode of hairloss which was triggered by covid would last now, but they were booked until Feb and it stopped so I never went but they got some amazing treatments for hairloss. That would've been my next step because I already lost 25-30% of my hair... 

I also believe that people who had it 1-2 years ago are not here anymore because their hairloss stopped and I assume that our hair will eventually grow back. I wish you all the very best!

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.47.47 PM.png

I was thinking the same thing… that the reason why none of the old posters will answer us about if their hair recovered is because once it did they stopped checking this page.

i went to the dermatologist finally she does not believe that it is from olaplex. She said that she really just believes it’s TE from stress and lack of sleep. I guess either is possible at this point; I definitely will never use olaplex again …. But maybe it is just a coincidence…

Either way, the derm is pretty confident my hair will grow back so at this point I’m just hoping she’s right and trying to have some patience 

Were you experiencing stress and lack of sleep before your sudden and severe hair loss? I am almost completely back to normal hair fall after using the clarifying shampoo and acv. I will probably be in wigs for a couple years. No sign of any hair growing back. The hair I'm left with is terrible and obviously can't color it at all. 

648 Replies