Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Yes! I used Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector  and it made my hair break off at the ends. It also ruined the wave/curl that it once had.  I have fine, naturally wavy, color treated hair. BEWARE!It is definitely not for every hair type.

Helpful information...

Yes, after first use a few days later I washed my hair and it shedding so much in the shower. I became alarmed because along with shedding my scalp was burning. It's been two days and my scalp is on fire and irritated. This is my first and last time deviating from my haircare routine and products. I usually use all natural products from the Just Nutritive haircare line #justnaturalhaircare.com and henna to strengthen and thicken my fine hair. The only reason I tried Olaplex was because I was looking for a protein treatment to use instead of henna and because of its raving reviews. I should have just used Babyface protein #babyfacestore.com which I have used many times in the past with great success. This is what I get for deviating and running after YouTube and online reviews. I pray no more of my hair comes out. Never again!

Ohmigosh!! Why is this product still being sold if this many people are experiencing hair loss???? I have one of their shampoo products that I received as a gift sitting in my shower that I haven't used yet. Guess where it's going when I get home?!! You guessed it, in the TRASH!!!

This is not good. I think I'm going to write to Olaplex!

@TeamBIC Please take note of this. Some of us using the same shampoo product/brand have noticed an increase in hair loss.  

Thank you for sharing I’m experiencing the same issue. I thought it was just me. I definitely noticed my hair feels crunchier also

I am using this as well and have experienced a lot of shedding.  I just thought it was me, though? I know a lot of folks dealing with hair issues during the pandemic, so I figured it was attributed to that.  EEEK.  I may need to stay away from these "beauty" shampoos and ask my dermatologist what to use. 

I used the Olaplex 3,4,5 and 6 a while back in a sample pack .  The shampoo is eh.  My hair felt excessively dry but then after 5 and 6 my hair was soooo soft.  So, I bought the whole system a few weeks ago.  IMMEDIATELY after the first use I had way more hair come out in the shower.   I'm used to some but this was more.  The next time I used my regular stuff and it was ok.   A few strands but nothing alarming.  To double check I used the olaplex again today and extra hair came out again!!!  And it's not breaking...it's coming out at the root.  No itchiness or irritation just hair coming out more than normal.  Returning immediately.  

I started using the olaplex shampoo, conditioner and bond smoother this week. This is my third wash and I noticed my hair wouldn't stop coming out. My head was itchy from the shampoo and I counted on the wall over 150 hairs, not to mention all the others I washed off my hands before I realized this was an issue. I searched to see if this was an actual issue, and I was shocked to see so many people saying the same things. This product is pushed so heavily by so many hair dressers, you would think it would be amazing. Sad. 

I havent used Olaplex #3, but I recently bought Olaplex #4. #4 has been thinning my hair way more than I've ever seen it. Idk why. My hair feels fine but its Definitely thinning my hair. I have no idea what to use my hair because nothing out there seems good for my hair. Annoying.

Thank you for this thread!! I have used olaplex shampoo and conditioner irregularly for the past year. I always noticed that the shampoo made my hair really dry so I did not use it very often. However, this winter, I was gifted the olaplex 3 treatment and thought I'd try it out. I used it a few times and liked it, so got a new bottle. Suddenly, my roommates started mentioning how they were finding my hair everywhere. I thought that was weird given that I had lived with them for months before this and it was never a problem. Continued using olaplex 3. Shedding continued. Today I took a shower and huge clumps of my hair fell out, which prompted me to think about what products I have added recently (olaplex 3) and search if anyone else has had hair loss experiences too. I am so sad about this and plan to buy new hair products today, I am just not sure which are the best ones. If anyone has any recommendations let me know I would be very grateful.

I have a serious love/hate for Olaplex 3. I damaged my fine healthy hair after using Natural Instincts newest formula a few months ago. I had to cut 4-5 inches off my very long hair then I decided to give Olaplex 3 a try. The first time I used it I noticed a bit of improvement. It was very encouraging. A week later I used it again and my ends looked and felt as ratty as they did they before using it. Wtf? I waited another week and used it again and my hair looked and felt AMAZING. Like I'd never damaged it at all. Thicker, so soft and silky, no tangles and bouncy. I honestly couldn't believe it. I told everyone I know that colours their hair that they HAD to try this stuff. But of course for some dumb reason I thought I should finished up the bottle given how much I paid for it and used it again a week later (a few days ago now) and hair looks and feels worse again. Thin, ratty and tangly and it feels rough instead of silky. I don't understand how this product can make my hair look and feel amazing one week and the next it looks damaged again! I'm kicking my butt for doing this last treatment. I haven't changed my shampoo or conditioner (and both are free of protein as my hair hates protein), I don't use any hair products and I blow dry on cool so nothing else could be responsible for this. I'm so confused now. I don't know whether to use it again or leave it alone. FML.

I’ve started using olaplex a few months ago and noticed my hair was thinking.  I used it once a week.  Then I purchased more products, the bond reconstructor, the oil, and the bond maintenance.  My hair began to feel very dry and brittle.  To fix my hair, I used Olaplex more often, then my hair began to fall out or break off in large quantities.  I have lost over half of my hair!  My hair was long, soft, and full.  It’s now shorter, ratty looking, thin, and stringy!!  I stopped using olaplex for a couple of days, but my hair still fell out or broke off.  I was told by a dermatologist that it could be a reaction to the Covid I had in November.  However, how does this explain the hair loss before Covid?  My thyroid is normal and so is my ferritin, vitamin D, and B12.  Out of prayer and desperation I found this website and thread.  Praise God for answering my prayers.  I’m going to stop using Olaplex immediately and hopefully my hair will grow back.  It took almost 2 1/2 years to grow my hair long and now I am not sure if permanent damage has been done. This was the worst day of hair loss ...in the shower hair was coming out so much I had to keep cleaning it off of my hands to continue washing my hair.

pbprincess3_0-1615024224981.jpeg

Covid can absolutely cause excessive shed and take over a year to resolve. It’s called telogen effluvium and is a common reaction to severe illness, fevers, surgery and anesthesia. Essentially, the body prematurely sends hair in a growth phase into the shedding (telogen) phase so it can devote energy to more vital bodily processes so it can fight off the virus and heal. 

Yes, I had a lot more hair coming out when I used olaplex 3. I noticed it early one. I asked my hair stylist she told me I didn’t need it that people over use it. She said it can ruin your hair. I came home and tried to research what she had just told me. I couldn’t find anything. Well here lately I am seeing a lot of people say this and how it dried out there hair. Now I see hair stylist say do not use it to much that it can be drying. I have stopped using it and finally after a few months my hair is no longer shedding like it was. 

OMG!  I am so going to stop using this product!  Y'all this aint right.  We gotta tell the company.  

Can’t believe I am sitting here reading all of the negative reviews on Olaplex No. 3 I literally feel like I’m gonna be sick. My hair also fell out a significant amount after using this product. My hairdresser took notice and asked me what I’m doing differently. My hair has already been fine but its so bad now and Olaplex is literally the only thing I’ve been doing different. AND FOR MONTHS! A friend of mine recommended this treatment as we are both have heavy highlights and have for years. I’m literally just sick over this. I don’t understand how some get such great results while others it ruins their lives, basically. Well now I know I’m not the only one but I’m just sick. I hope there is one day some kind of lawsuit. People know their hair, I’m sorry. People are not imagining things or just picking anything to place blame at because they have hair fall. My advice if anyone is smart enough to search reviews before buying is BUYER BEWARE!! Use at your own risk. 

I was so excited the first time I used Oliplex. 
I picked up a trial size and late November 2020. But by the third time I used it I started noticing my hair fall out in massive quantities, long strands that appear to be healthy. I finally stopped using it! After my third wash using a different shampoo my hair is starting to fall out less and less, but it looks terrible! I think I’m going to have to go to my hairdresser and get a significant haircut since it looks like dry hay! #makesmesicktomystomach!

I’m speechless but so relieved. I started using olaplex and was noticing my hair started drying out and then falling out. I lost so much of my hair. It looked terrible I was using it 1 to 2 times per week. I was not putting it together that it could be the olaplex being I heard such great things about it. My hair was everywhere I started to freak out. One day I changed the shampoo and used a basic Pantene. Immediately I noticed less and less hair loss as I stopped using the olaplex, done never again!! 

Olaplex has caused me to have severe hair loss and has damaged my hair texture!

I am so relieved/happy/saddened to read these posts regarding hair loss due to olaplex. I am a islander girl who HAD thick black and curly hair prior to using Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. I was gifted these for christmas and thought it must be AMAZING given they cost $50 AUD each! 

After the first week of using the shamp and cond I noticed hair loss like I've never had before! I used it twice in the first wk and then the second wk I used it twice again and by the second wk I was having an easy 2 handfuls of my hair just falling out as I would run my hands gently through my hair. 

This has never happened to me before! The only other time I lost hair (although no where near the significant amount olaplex has caused me to lose!) was after giving birth to my second child. 

After using Olaplex my hair texture has also change dramatically!! from strong shiny hair that never get knotty! to brittlethin, fragile, weak hair strands that gets knotty easily! -  just from leaving it down. It's such a shame what has happened to my hair because of Olaplex! I will go back to using my humble organicare shampoo and conditioner for normal hair. Hopefully my beautiful hair will grow back! I have hair thinning and almost balding at the crown of my head because of Olaplex. Now I'm an islander girl with think, weak, easily snapping hair strands! my hair is constantly knotty due to it's thin and weak state. I haven't brushed my hair for 2 wks because I get depressed and mentally drained when I see handfuls of my hair in my hands and on the floor. I am seriously in shock and have been for the past wks!

My husband, my sister and my son have all noticed my hair loss and change in hair texture. This has made me so sad and angry. I hope they take that crap off the shelves. You ought to be sued Olaplex. People take images of your hair before and after.

Olaplex you money hungry villains! Shame on you for selling harmful, damaging products to innocent women. 

1 Reply