Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Bwaaaaaahahahaha!

Hahaha! Chiseled to perfection. 😄

Dose of colors is coming out with a palette called EyesCream and I'm really conflicted that it's not by beauty bakerie

I have always assumed Asians have warm skin toned, but lately, I'm beginning to realize that I might have a cool yellow/light olive undertone instead.

It's always been confusing figuring out my undertones because my answers to all the determining questions are mixed:

Pink or yellow skin - yellow (warm)

Skin burns or tans - tans (warm)

Yellow or white gold jewelry - I like both (neutral)

Blue or green veins - can't tell, I *think* I have both (neutral)

Cool/jewel or warm/earth tone clothing - jewel (cool)

I knew I couldn't buy pink toned foundations because it would look PINK. Unfortunately, even some of the most yellow toned looking foundations show up orange on me--and compared to my natural skin (like comparing my face to my neck), my neck looks almost green. It's almost like I need something MORE yellow.

Then I finally found what was considered an olive yellow foundation...and it was a great match. It's a bit light for me, but the undertone of my face actually matched my neck. For ONCE.

I found a blog post that explains this very well and this sentence just hit it :

If you remember liking warm colours when you were more tan, and cool colours when you're more pale, then you just might be olive!

http://musicalhouses.blogspot.ca/2010/01/undertones-for-asians-how-to-tell-if.html

That's exactly me. I wear both cool and warm colours when it comes to makeup, but I tend to prefer warmer colours in the summer (when I'm tanned) and cooler in the winter (when I'm pale).

And that also explains why I seriously look green in certain lighting, especially when I compare my skin to DH's (who is Caucasian).

Now the struggle continues to find more olive-toned friendly foundations that also have pale shades in their range... in general, I think many associate olive skin with medium depth, whereas I have light olive skin...

Yes, not all Asians are warm/yellow toned! I personally fit that description though if I want my face to match my neck. My face is a little more pinky than my neck. I was looking at the shades of ABHs new foundation sticks and saw they had warm olive tones and thought of you haha

@mella900 appreciate the thought! 😄 I hope one of them will be light and olive enough... the chart that ABH released looked promising (they had an OLIVE section!) but the swatches, not so much...I will reserve judgement for when I can see them in person!

I came across this issue while helping my Chinese friend shop for foundation. She originally also assumed she was warm toned because she had the characteristic yellow cast. However we came across a great article talking about how yellow isn't always warm, or at least as warm, as cosmetic companies would have you believe, and had diagrams showing cool yellows vs warm yellows, and my friend realized her yellow tones were more cool than those used in most warm toned foundations. 

I get that it's impossible to for companies to account for every skin tone and undertone, but they really do tend to lack nuisance when it comes to their foundations, which can be very irritating to those who don't fall into the typical "warm red/yellow" or "cool pink."

I've been watching a lot of beauty bloggers recently and I noticed something funny. All the them have bought lots of bright and colorful eyeshadows and palettes and more "out there" lip colors, yet I've rarely seen any of them wear anything other than very neutral color eyes and traditional lip colors. 

Cool news: I received an invite this morning to the opening of a new Sephora. The invite was for me and a guest and the party will have snacks and a gift bag with a $25 purchase.

Sad news: I RSVP'd two hours after the invite was sent, but was waitlisted. It's only open to the first 150 Rouges and their guests (so 300 people). I doubt I'll be getting off the waitlist, as people tend just not to show up rather than change their response, but we'll see. It's nice that they're having this event. 🙂

Ive been getting noticed a lot by katvondbeauty, my pictures arent ultra hd because i have a hard time taking a good pocture with my actual camera, though sometimes i hit the kackpot. Using the front camera is much more user friendly. Anyway... im literally sitting outside camping my mailman. Gamer terms, waiting for my mailman to spawn to loot my makeup.

i'm headed out in just a bit to get the new fall CHANEL palette and eyeliner and i'm friggin excited !!!!!! i think i'm gonna pass on the rest of the collection but it's gonna be hard to.

IN OTHER NEWS. i know i haven't been around a lot this month....what's with the error page every time i click on the beautytalk icon to go back to the main page ?? is that just me, or is that a thing that is happening for everyone and there's been a discussion i've missed ? seems like a coding error that could be fixed rather easily.

I was having this problem yesterday or something similar. I kept getting authentication errors with every link that took me to BT. 

I am getting that same error message too. 😞

Yeah, that icon hasn't worked for me in a while. It's so screwy on here (including the +Hearts annoyance), and that has kind of kept me from posting as much lately. 😕

Yes, the heart thing is driving me crazy! I accidentally take hearts away, then have to add them back.

This is just too pretty not to post! Love it!

Anyone know of a good golden liquid eye liner?

upload_5134695379486353627.jpg

Anonymous Insider

That gold eyeliner looks so crisp it almost looks like it's an applique? 

There are these:

@lyravega MAC will have a liquid gold and silver liner coming out with the Star Trek collection at the end of the month online, early Sept. stores.

Thank you, girls!

I need to tweeze my brows, badly. But I've been so lazy. I prefer to tweeze them before taking off my makeup, so I don't accidently tweeze a spot along the edge that I typically fill in. Lately though, I just want to take my makeup off and do a mask and go to bed.

My excuse is that I'm growing them out so I can reshape them to a bolder brow 😛 Maybe tonight!

6,152 Replies
testing