Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

his hair was the first thing that came to mind !

I posted that in the coming soon thread 😉

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/COMING-SOON-Products-that-don-t-have-a-release-da...

Says it will have hair, makeup, nails and bath.

whoops sorry !  

Cosmetics have officially jumped the shark...

I can moderately see the connection between popstars like Katy Perry and Rhianna who have recently gotten their own cosmetic sub-brands, but Lionel Ritchie???

This has to be some sort of joke.

agreed. (jumped the shark is my favorite phrase. it comes in handy).

i was thinking recently how much i adore novelty products from past decades, but novelty stuff from the present typically irks me because all i see is a marketing ploy (not that old novelty stuff isn't just marketing, but there's enough time and distance that you can appreciate things objectively....)

I love it!!!!  I can't respond other than that.  The world never ceases to amaze.

take everything i know about skincare, apply it to tattoo aftercare, and i know nothinggggg......

I used Tattoo Goo and unscented lotion on mine

Tattoos are SO tricky! My first one I went overboard with the ointment and suffocated my skin. It was itching so badly it was waking me up in the middle of the night! Since it's not your first tattoo I assume you know ointment first/but not too much/switch to lotion after three days?

@TopazBeth yeah i'm sorted out. i couldn't use ointment on this one at all, because it would instantly turn the scab into goo, which is a big no. day 4 i was able to apply lotion (i'm using scent free aveeno because it was petroleum free--which isn't necessary for all tattoos but was a good way to go for mine since it scabbed so much, it needs oxygen). i've never loved applying lotion so much 😉 

Do you need aftercare advice?

its more... Wound care... Than "skincare". 

Anonymous Insider

Spry! 

hi sprytely !! how you feeling ? i'm good now. since the tattoo is entirely red, though, it's been rougher than i anticipated !! we decided on a dry heal so it could get as much oxygen as possible (since it scabbed pretty bad...again, because red is so rough). i can put lotion on it now and so i can see the light at the end of the tunnel !

Hanging in there. This is the most alert I've been in a while, so I'm taking advantage of it! 🙂

Oddly enough I was always worried about red ink and then my nemesis is actually yellow, go figure. 

Glad you can see the light!

Spoiler
Random question..

Sometimes I see women with their face done up where the foundation looks has a certain look that has a combination of heavy-ashy-waxy-shiny.. and I genuinely (seriously, no sarcasm or anything) have no idea if this is a 'look' or a mistake.. or intentional? or what.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Wuzzat about?

This was the closest picture I could get - she is an absolutely beautiful woman.. but her face is ashy/waxy/heavy... I would say it was a makeup issue but I see this kinda frequently and hey, if Gyaru can be a thing, maybe this is too..?

99.png

That picture looks like she had a rough day and is wearing a foundation with the wrong tone- perhaps the foundation is pinky-toned and she needed something more yellow! Lol I'm pretty sure it's not done intentionally 😉 Except when people wear foundation that is too light for their skintones and try to look lighter than they are (more 'fair-skinned') which is quite intentional- the skewed view of many...Embrace your skintone and all will be well with the world LOL 

I never understood it either when I was younger and why women bought foundation too light for their skin. And half the time the makeup was the wrong tone, come to think of it, because many companies did not cater to asian/indian/tan/olive-y/colored complexions!

Anonymous Insider

@jesscheems I do see the trend of wearing foundation lighter than their own actual skin tone VERY frequently in Korea, Japan, and China. But I'd like to say that often isn't about "embracing one's own skin tone". I don't see how it can be the skewed view (or is it a skewed view that view it as a skewed view? 😛 ). 

Oh well in other countries I have seen this as well and basically it leads to people not liking their own skin and therefore buying fairness/bleaching cream. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly ;)..

Edit: Also I'm not saying this is what everyone does but a lot do and it's sad to see people with skin-conditions due to those bleaching creams =(

Anonymous Insider

@jesscheemsThinking that fair complexion flatters them more isn't necessarily as same as not liking their own skin. It can be as simple as this. Why do people apply eye shadows? Do they not like their own lid color? What about lipsticks? 

I get a feeling you're over-generalizing what you think they're thinking, in a potentially "accusing" (at least makes me very uncomfortable) way. 

@Anonymous the prejudice against dark skin tones is very real in South Asian countries. Women can have trouble getting married because they are "too dark", and many stars and regular people bleach their skin to look lighter. My cousins always teased our dark-skinned cousin, only because of her skintone. My aunt told me I should use bleaching creams as well, it's a big thing over there. She herself wore much lighter foundation than she needed, and it did not look good. I believe @jesscheems is speaking from true experience, if she is talking about the same region of the world as I am. Skintone is not the same issue as eyelid or lip color.

Yes ^^ this!!! Well said! Thank you @MK89 for perhaps explaining it better than I did 😉 I am speaking about that exact same region, and have had comments in regards to skintone as a youngster- because I tanned a bit and was playing in the sun but people around me didn't appreciate that we were healthy and playing outside and rather we were told off about our skintone/colour! I appreciate your response! I indeed speak from experience..and especially as a kid it does play with your head!

2 Replies
testing