Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Foil Challenge

I know we all talked about this but I need it in writing to hold myself more accountable! I have picked out around 28 foils that I am hoping to get through by the end of Feb. that’s 1 foil a day unless I decide to stack more than one! Here’s what I’ve picked randomly! 

A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg

Re: Foil Challenge

I’m so sorry you’ve not been feeling well @ather! 😔 Hopefully you’re on the recovery track and feeling back to your old self soon! Being sick is not fun at all but I will say that it reminds me how well my skin does with a more minimal skincare outline. 

Great job with your foils. Love your hair care foils. Is that the JVN Embody line? Shampoo or conditioner? 

@itsfi  Finally feeling better! Hopefully I’ll be 100% by the end of the week. It didn’t help I have been crazy busy the past couple weeks and haven’t had time to take a break. It was JVN Embody Daily Volumizing Conditioner 10 oz/ 295 mL  and it was amazing. I would love to get the set but I have to use what I have on hand first! I also have a mini set of the JVN Nurture Hydrating Shampoo 10 oz/ 295 mL line. I also love! 

Posting a little early for May foils. I have a handful of deadlines this week and am not planning on using any foils for the next few days. All my foil uses were during trips; here's what happened in May. 

May foil goals = 8 - 12 foils

Actual foils used = 9 - yay! I met my goal, just barely, but I'll take it. Now, for the details - 

May 2023 Foils 1.jpg

Tatcha cleansing oil is a tried-and-true love, one I come back to time and time again as I rotate through oil based cleansers. 💜 The new Tatcha serum is a non-bakuchiol alternative to retinol. My skin responds well to bakuchiol but I was interested in how a non-bakuchiol retinol-alt product would perform. I was not disappointed. The foot mask was a great way to get in some moisture and TLC to my soles before a day of walking; I posted a more detailed foot mask review on the mask thread. I'd happily use all three of these beauties.

May 2023 Foils 2.jpg

Both sets of undereye masks were good - the cucumber based eye mask was soothing and perfect after a day in the sun and the Sephora Collection caffeine eye masks make a regular appearance in my skincare routine when I travel for work. Used this the morning after a very late night and received a handful of compliments the next morning at breakfast about how rested I looked after being up so late the night before. Lots of water + these caffeine eye masks sure help to combat a handful of drinks and 4 hours of sleep. 👍 The Fresh Black Tea cream also helped to get some moisture and hydration into my skin. The amika hair mask was the only meh item in the group, but I wonder if I was using it wrong. 🤔

May 2023 Foils 3.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about the hair care and body scrub - they smelled wonderful and I would use them again if I had them, but they're not ones I'd run out to replenish my travel foils stash. The mouthwash came in handy since I forgot to pack mine this trip. The hand glove makes a nice exfoliating tool, but my preference is still the wash towels from the Japanese brand Salux.

Foil Goals for June

Spoiler
My focus for June will be on my full and deluxe sized products, but I'd like to work through the 7 foil packets of this YTTP serum, along with a handful of foundation foils / samples (not pictured) which I'll reach for with a freestyle approach. 😉 All in all, I will aim to use up 10-12 foils next month. 
YTTP serum foils (7) - June target.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what foils folks liked / disliked this month and hearing about everyone's goals for June. Ummmm, who else can't believe it's almost June!! (Or maybe June when you get to this post?!!) 😮 @ather 

@itsfi Excellent progress! It sounds like some of these fouls came in handy for travelling. I can't beleive it is almost June either!!

@itsfi  Great job! I think I have a DS of Tatcha The Silk Serum Wrinkle-Smoothing Retinol Alternative 1 oz / 30 mL  I can’t wait to try after hearing you loved it! I always forget how much I like the Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser  it’s a great cleanser!! It’s too bad about the scrub! 

Love your goals for June! I know you will hit your mark! 

@ather, the cleansing oil at one point was my go to oil based cleanser. It’s still one I love; I’ve just been working my way through my cleansing balms. I love my Bakuchiol serum but I couldn’t resist trying another alternative to retinol. 

The SdJ scrub smells really nice, which is to be expected from Sol de Janeiro. I just don’t know if the scrub would be a favorite. I tend to prefer more chemical based exfoliants for use on my body. 

Great job @itsfi .   I remember when I did this challenge a few years ago, the deluxe samples are the hardest to get through.  The foils sre the easiest since you use one and you accomplished something but not the same with the deluxe samples. 

Deluxe samples are great for being able to really put a product to the test, but it definitely takes more time to work through one @CorgiMommy. Most of my deluxe samples are of products I know I like but I have a small handful of new (or new to me) items that I’ve picked up as promo gwps or from the Rewards Bazaar that I should really be reaching for sooner rather than later.

@CorgiMommy  I love tsing DS when I go on trips! But I haven’t travelled a ton in the past few years! 

My goal for April was 18. I only used 7. I am ok with that because I had a pretty hectic month and I still managed to squeeze in some self care. I still have to set my goals for May. I am a little behind.

20230503_164025.jpg

@Mellmars1185  I think you still did a great job!! 

@ather Thank you! I didn't end up choosing any for May. I hope to regroup for June 😊

@Mellmars1185, I’m glad you were able to carve out a little time for self care in the midst of the busy-ness of your schedule. It makes sense to stick with products you know work well for you when things are hectic. That being said, you used up a good number of foils last month (and nice variety too 👍🏼) - that’s nearly 2 foils per week. 

@itsfi Thank you! I use a planner to plan my day. I want to start using a journal for my skincare and foils...I feel like it will help me with my goals and track what I like and don't like. I will make it happen this month!

@Mellmars1185 any standouts from the bunch?

@CookieGirl1 My favourite was the sample of Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides . I put it on before foundation. I have the full size in this so this sample has motivated me to started using it!

@Mellmars1185 hang in there you can get back on track

@CorgiMommy Thank you for the words of encouragement 🥰

April Foil Challenge: Freestyle Foils  
My freestyle foil approach for the month worked out pretty well. As to be expected, I didn't make my way through as many foils as when I have set aside specific foils to use. I went through a little less than half the number of foils I did for the last 2 months (21 February, 26 March) when I have pre-designated foil samples to try to use.

I went through 12 foils this month, which comes out to 1 foil every 2-1/2 days. That's actually a lot more than I expected; I guessed that I would finish 0 - 6 foils. 
April 2023 Foil Freestyle Final.jpg
Spoiler
Top row consists of new-to-me products. I have varying thoughts on each. 
  • Sadly, the Skin Inc Licorice Serum Relieve broke me out. 😬 My skin typically responds well to licorice root, so I'm not sure if it's another ingredient(s) in the serum or if the sample is past its prime, which I really wouldn't be surprised by if that was the case. 
  • I've tried a few products from Dr. Barbara Sturm and was excited to give this Super Anti-Aging Face Cream a try. It's ... okay. To be fair,  I find that it typically takes more than one use to see any "anti-aging" results from a product.  The cream wasn't bad, but I didn't feel it stood out from other moisturizers I've used or currently use. 
  • The Benefit primer foil has a generous amount of product and coupled with a little going a long way, this lasted me for a while. I used it during cooler days as well as warmer ones when my T-zone is oilier than usual and will say that Benefit the Porefessional Pore Primer definitely mattifies and blurs pores. It's one I'd consider for the summer when my entire face is  more oily.

I've used all of the products in the bottom row before and they range from "likes" to "loves".  Let's start off with the likes, all of which I'd happily use again and could see myself purchasing a full size, from time to time.
  • ma:nyo Pure Cleansing Face Oil - lightweight, leaves skin looking and feeling soft, clean, and bright. I have several cleansing oils I enjoy using so I'm not in the market for another cleansing oil, but if I was, this would be one I'd consider.
  • Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid (toner serum) - the entire Ceramidin line is a hit with my face. 😉 This toner-and-serum in one is beautifully formulated. It just falls into a "like" vs. "love" field because there are a handful of other toner-and-serum products that my skin loves just a little more. 
  • Like the ma:nyo, I like both the Ouai Fine Hair Shampoo and Ouai Fine Hair Conditioner. It leaves my tresses clean, soft, shiny but not greasy), smooth and hydrated. I've been making a big effort to downsize the number of full-size shampoos and conditioners I have on hand at any given time, and I've met my quota (probably stretched it a bit) with this most recent spring sale, so the Oaui will have to wait for another day.
Which leads us to my "loves" of the bunch, both of which are so very easy to love: 
  • Sol de Janeiro Braziian 4-Play Moisturizing Shower Cream-Gel is my favorite product from the BumBum line of scents. I actually wish SdJ offered shower cream-gels in all of the scents. If they do and I've missed that completely, do tell!
  •  Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream - oh, what a beautiful formulation for my skin in the winter months, or when my skin barrier is damaged. Dr. Jart has recently reformulated their Ceramidin line and what I've tried so far has fallen in the good or great camps, with one earning an excellent from me. I have yet to try the reformulated Cream but will soon enough - I picked up a deluxe size sample of the reformulated version during a promo gwp. 
April 2023 Foils - Other Masks.jpg
April 2023 Foils - Sheet Masks.jpg
Spoiler
As for sheet masks and other masks in foil-like packaging, all were good, with a few great products that are repurchase-worthy in my book.

• All the sheet masks here were good to my skin. I'd happily use any of them again, but my top 3 here (in no particular order) are the illliyoon ceramide, Mediheal R:NA, and the by Wishtrend gauze mask!

• The KAO Megrhythm gentle steam eye masks are staples in my collection and there's typically at least one pair of the caffeine eye masks. I don't often buy the Wander eye masks on their own but they always seem to find their way into my skincare drawer (sub box, gwp tote, etc) - I'm not complaining.
MAY FOIL CHALLENGE GOAL
The month of May is typically another allergy-challenged month for me, which means that I'm less likely to try a lot of new skincare products, which usually make up most of my foil usage. That said, I do have a work trip scheduled for May and will likely take some samples (of tried-and-true products) with me. With all that in mind, I will take a hybrid approach for my May foil challenge - freestyle foils but with a goal. @ather, as with April's foil  challenge, I won't set aside any samples I want to work through (the freestyle part), but I will have a target number of foils I'll aim to use. My goal will be to use 8-12 foils in May. 

@itsfi  Wow great job!! You did an awesome job! Even with the freestyle you seem to be getting through foils! Hopefully you will get a break from allergies on your work trip and they won’t make them worse. Those steam masks are so good. I can’t remember if I have tried the Mediheal R:NA I need to try it out I think!!! Good luck with Mays foils! 

Thank you! I was surprised I went through as many foils during a freestyle foil month @ather. I think it may have been due to me being accustomed since February to using a foil every so often. 🤷🏻‍♀️ In any event, I think  the bulk of my foils in May will be for my trip. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos113
  • A8FEBC46-CBFD-4836-973E-28A0E7C7B12B.jpeg
  • MTXX_MH20230129183142501.jpg
  • February Foils.jpeg
  • February Foils 2.jpeg
  • 329617520_1881335318909767_5594684371409544586_n.jpg
  • 20230211_161143.jpg
  • CBD74025-7F2E-45F1-A34E-23EC3ACD70A2.jpeg
  • February Foils Challenge - update.jpg
  • 20230228_170158.jpg