Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@RGbrown hey, you tried something new!  It's always challenging and rarely turns out perfectly on the first try.

@CookieGirl1 

I tend to fall into the "if I can't do it perfectly, I'm not even gonna bother" category of folks, so this failure hit me hard for a bit 😅 I've got some decals drying now though, and will see how they do!

@RGbrown  Awww I’m sorry it didn’t work as planned. They still look beautiful! I bet try 2.0 will work for you!!

@ather 

Thanks so much! I've got some ideas rolling around, so hopefully there's an improvement in the near future 🤞

100 stars 🌟 for trying thou @RGbrown 

@CynthieLu 

Thank you! It was an interesting ride, and I hope to tweak the results soon, but goodness, I'm glad this first testing phase is done 🤣

@RGbrown  Oh wow... okay, so I tried this technique once upon a time—not specifically "shell thread gel," but basically the same technique with regular polish to get similar results—when a friend and I decided to experiment with adding patterns/designs to polish. We had the same extreme bald spot frustration. I remember having better results when I made it a 2-day mani: lay down 2 coats of color, add top coat, let dry overnight; next day, clean/prep nails with alcohol, lightly thin a puddle of that same color polish, apply thinned polish to nails, swirl in some designs, and add top coat. No bald spots that way. I think I also tried it that way with non-thinned polish... wish I'd taken photos to jog my memory. Thinning a polish too much creates a runny mess because the swirls don't hold or stay put. My experiment happened before I'd bought any ILNP polishes, and now I wonder if some of those would work well for this since they tend to be thin. Then again, some ILNP's are probably much too thin. Reminisce might actually work. Note to self. Ooorrr, a cream or crelly that holds swirls without getting all thick and goopy, topped with a sheer pearlescent polish... further note to self. 

Anyway, sounds like you already plan to try something like that (though maybe not spread over 2 days 😂); hope it works out for you! 

Oh wait, now I remember doing an imprint design later on: I applied 2 coats of polish; while the 2nd coat was still drying, I used a bobby pin to lightly press in a pattern. The trick was not applying too much pressure since I did it in one sitting (vs. 2 days). I think I still wound up with a bald spot or 2 before I figured out how much pressure to apply. I'm sure all of this is easier with gel but I don't do gels (I refuse to put my fingers under a UV light). 

Also: I like the color story you wound up with! 

@WinglessOne 

Ahhh, new memory triggered...using dental floss to create quilted nails! I haven't actually done it, but have seen it a time or two and it's cute...might have to give that a go at some point. I've never really thought about trying to make other impressions though (even after it being a side effect of last night's misguided adventure lol), but that could be cool with the right touch!

@Titian06's comment triggered another method I should try...gonna make some swirly decals in a bit and see how that goes. I just scribbled one out real quick with straight polish, Revlon Pure Pearl, a shimmer white, but I think I'll need to make one or two more and play with adding some thinner (and or clear polish) to thin out the density of the pigment and shimmer before I'm satisfied. I can see all sorts of combos in my head if this goes well, and I'm getting excited about trying again!

@RGbrown  Decals could work nicely. 👍 Can't wait to see your next attempts! 

@RGbrown Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. I think the colour on your index finger is really pretty and pops!

@Mellmars1185 

Thanks so much! Marcy is absolutely divine

Oh, dear, @RGbrown !  I'm sorry your experiment went so terribly awry!  I think your '#2 option sounds the way to go--painting the swirls on rather than creating the swirls out of the polish already applied.  I know you can do this!  Look at that great marbling technique you did! 🥰

Edit:  Love Zoya Mercy.

@Titian06 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a magnificent comment! New idea triggered...all I have to do is make swirly decals (like I would with marbling)! Bless you! 

@RGbrown - 👍💖

Wow! What an ordeal @RGbrown ! I am sorry that everything went wrong in your testing process ☹️. But at least you have learned some good lessons and I am sure that the next try will result in a mani as beautiful as you expected. Your disappointment really looks like what I am going to feel when I try that beautiful marble technique you used the other day 😅😅😅

@Saradestin 

Awww, thank you! I'm over it now, it's funny in retrospect, but last night was a hot mess all around 🤣

You can do decals! They're way easier than this, I promise! 😁

Hi, all!  Here's the third color I received from @RGbrown .  The absolutely gorgeous Morgan Taylor A Touch of Sass!

At my patio door.

20220901_124338.jpg

Indoor by a lamp.

20220901_130326.jpg

By the patio door is the truer color.  I've never used such a wide brush before.  There's a learning curve.  One hand started out kinda streaky and thin.  By the time I got to the next, it was looking good.  The only real problem is the brush just fits my pinky fingers if I'm careful. 

Thanks again, @RGbrown , I love this color! 💖💖💖

@Titian06  Wow this colour is gorgeous!!! 

Thanks, @ather !  I love it! ❤❤❤

What a sweet gift and a beautiful polish, the red suits you very well @Titian06 lovely nails!

Thanks, @CynthieLu !  I love red nail polish and red lipstick! 💄💋

1 Reply
testing