Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

RE: Love for Brushes

Wayne Goss are the softest nicest eyeshadow brushes I’ve tried omg love!!

Re: Love for Brushes

As the weather has changed, my brushes aren’t drying out as quickly as they were in the summer. I’m finding the thicker, denser natural hair brushes have a bit of an odor toward the middle where they are attached to the metal part of the handle. I would appreciate any tips, as it’s taking a couple of days for some of them to dry and I need to be able to use them. The odor does go away, but I can’t imagine that it’s good for them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

@eshoe, I'm glad you brought this subject up. I usually b...

@eshoe, I'm glad you brought this subject up. I usually blot my brushes on a towel and then leave them on a towel to dry. I liked the idea of the hanging tree, so just purchased one. ( Never thought of smelling my thicker brushes after drying!)

@eshoe, you are great about washing! I get to mine about...

@eshoe, you are great about washing! I get to mine about every two weeks, but with my shift work, that's 8 workdays, so I guess I'm good. And if my days off fall during the week I'm usually resting at home (no make up days)

Re: @eshoe, you are great about washing! I get to mine about...

Makes complete sense, @Luvstravel. I use mine 5-6 days a week. With the Surratt sale I picked up a few more brushes so have some wiggle room in the eyeshadow area. No makeup days sound good to me!

Re: @eshoe, I'm glad you brought this subject up. I usually b...

@Luvstravel, I bought the same exact one (with a different name, but the same tree). I’m looking forward to using it next week. I didn’t have some of the denser brushes last winter so wasn’t prepared for this. I wash them meticulously every Sat/Sun, so I knew it had to be the weather, rather than a buildup. Let me know how you like yours, I’m looking forward to my weekend cleaning!

RE: Re: Love for Brushes

After I wash my brushes I lay them on a clean towel and fold the towel over and apply firm pressure to blot out excess water. I do this on a new dry spot of the towel 2-5 times till it doesn’t leave a lot of moisture then I lay to dry with brush in the air, not touching anything. It helps if u have air circulation from a fan etc. To get rid of smell and sanitize u can add one drop of bleach to washing water and rinse very well. Don’t overdo it a teeny amount is all I want to avoid damage. With natural fibres you will want to use a good hair conditioner after cleaning and soak them in a bit of water with a drop or two of conditioner. Otherwise the natural bristles may be a bit “fried” or frizzy and damaging. Also rinse well so you don’t have residue. Hope this helps.

@eshoe there are 2 things that might help with this a little during the washing process.

1) after I am done washing my brushes I always use a microfibre cloth to help shape the bristles which does shape them but also has the added benefit of wicking away excess moisture

2) I always dry them upside down. I picked up a cheap brush tree off Amazon a few years ago for less than $10 and it disassembles into 3 flat pieces for storage. It's got rubberized holes to keep the brushes from sliding through and tends to help the water not stay into the bundling and ferrule

hope that helps!

Definitely! I dry & reshape and have a similar tree I got...

Definitely! I dry & reshape and have a similar tree I got from Amazon. It costs less than ten bucks, I think.

Thank you, @Mochapj. I will use both of your suggestions. I dry mine flat on a towel. I recall someone here using one of those drying trees, I forget the brand, I think it started with B. I’ve seen them a few places so will look into one right now!

chikuhodo brush set. This is the most expensive brush set I have. I got it years ago on Beautylish. It’s so pretty I still haven’t used it yet.chikuhodo brush set. This is the most expensive brush set I have. I got it years ago on Beautylish. It’s so pretty I still haven’t used it yet.

@SportyGirly125 Those are so pretty!

RE: Re: Love for Brushes

So funny. I have this brush set and also haven’t used it. I need to destash!

Those are really gorgeous

So freaking pretty!!!  I love them!

These are just so beautiful, @SportyGirly125!

These are just so beautiful, @SportyGirly125!

@SportyGirly125 I remember that set! So much coveting, I thought about it too long and poof, gone 😞 

@MissPuff I saw that they have a red version of it on Beautylish that was really pretty but I had to step away. 

I think I would frame that picture, @SportyGirly125. They are so very beautiful. I completely understand why you haven’t used them yet!

Your Chikuhodo brush set is beautiful @SportyGirly125! Yes, they are on the pricey side, but they are so nice - exquisitely handcrafted and they perform wonderfully!

testing