Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@Cahlee 

Spoiler

In search of a new foundation brush, though I'm not 100% sold on buying one (current self-imposed spending embargo :)). I currently only use liquid foundations (GA Luminous/Lasting Silk, GA Luminessence CC Cream, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and and considering a couple of others), so for all intents and purposes, fingers are and have been entirely sufficient. But there are days where I just feel like a brush might offer a better finish and hopefully a longer lasting application. 

Rather than tell you what I am looking at (a couple of which I think I see in your amazeballs display!), I'm sure I would be better off asking for recommendations! 

Not particularly concerned about the price point as I'm really hoping to find a singular HG brush that fills this need, and thus assume I'll get my money's worth at whatever price point. My only stipulation is that I would prefer to be able to at least see it in person before purchasing, so for the time being I'd prefer to avoid the higher end Japanese brands. I have a few Wayne Goss and Sigma brushes, so those would probably be the only web-based exceptions because I feel like I would be confident enough in the quality if there happened to be a good fit in that line. 

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

@etscore1

Spoiler
Now that I remember, the Tarte buffer airbrush finish brush is pretty awesome! I keep forgetting about that brush. It was not until I went in to my room that I actually remembered it. That brush works wonderfully to blend out product. It has a nice density to it, it is soft enough to not irritate the skin. The bamboo handle is very comfortable. It's worth playing with in the store to see if you like it. 

@etscore1 

Spoiler
I'm so sorry for getting back to you so late! I checked yesterday but somehow I missed your reply. It also doesn't help that I don't get email notifications when I'm tagged. For foundation brushes I really enjoy using blushes with flatter tops. If you are looking for brushes you can see in person I would highly recommend either Marc Jacobs 2 or 3 face brush. They're synthetic brushes which makes them perfect for foundation as you will want to wash foundation brushes more often and natural hair brushes can suffer from being over washed. Synthetic hair typically wears better after being washed so many times. I really like the face 2 brush because it feels comfortable in my hand, it is sturdy and weighted nicely. The brush head is tapered on one side which allows for getting into the smaller areas of the face. The tapered side is still overall flat and allows for a great blend of product. It was the first Marc Jacobs brush I fell in love with. The Marc Jacobs 3 brush is perfect because it is great at blending in product with how densely packed in the bristles are, and it is also comfortable in the hand with the short handle. The short handle also allows for what feels like a better blend as you can control the pressure more. Most of the other foundations brushes in the photo are perfect for laying down the foundation but I tend to reach for another brush to finish the blending. A favorite of this category would be the tom ford cream blush. I use a thin liquid foundation, if I used a   more creamy brush I think this brush would be perfect. Unfortunately I don't but it is a nice size to get into the very small spaces of my face. I know you said you don't feel comfortable buying a brush you cannot see in person but if you are willing to take a risk, I love using the artis brush 7 (which can be found on Beautybar and there is typically is discount for 15 off of 60 which brings the brush down to $45). I keep one finger behind where the brush connects to the handle to keep it steady, and with light pressure or distributes product evenly throughout my face. The "toothbrush" style is very comfortable for the self user and doesn't interfere with my habit of being too close to the mirror. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

@Cahlee

Spoiler
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response! The MJ Face 2 is what I had settled on.

I guess a follow up question would be: Is it actually worth buying for the foundations I use? Do you find a discernable difference in finish/longevity when using a brush vs. fingers for thinner liquid foundations? 

I realize you might be a bit biased given your love for all your fluffies. 😉

@etscore1

Spoiler
Unfortunately, I do not know how to answer this question for you. I have never applied my foundation with my fingers. If I get some extra time anytime soon I will be sure to try it out. I think it's definitely worth a shot to try a brush and see if it has any change on your final outcome. It's highly possible your foundation application with fingers is already perfect and cannot be improved by a brush. I think it is mainly the curiousity which is lingering in your head that is making you question what the difference may be. To get that curiosity out of your head it would be great to try out a brush and get the urge out of your system. 

I hope you're in sales @Cahlee, because if not, you're missing out on a lot of commission opportunities. 🙂

Curious what you'll think about finger application if/when you decide to try it. As far as the MJ 2, do you find it best to dab foundation on your face directly with your fingers then blend with the brush, or do you prefer to dab the brush into the foundation directly (on the back of your hand, etc.)? I believe I've seen people use the MJ 2 in both a stippling motion as well as a swipe/circular blending motion... any thoughts on its use for either method? 

upload_6109855053773518312.gif

@etscore1 Oh my, and here I thought I would be no good for it. 

The way I use the brush is by dabbing the foundation straight onto my face and then moving the product with small swipes. Afterwards I will use circular motions to blend the product. This method seems to work well on me but I have never tried stippling with this brush. Now that you gave me the idea, I may have to try it out tomorrow. Now I have two different methods on my todo list. I will get back to you and let you know how big the difference is or is not. 

@Cahlee This is so helpful! Whenever I do end up getting it, I know I won't be creative enough to think about all these methods, so thank you! 🙂 

@Cahlee Yippee... blush p@rn! 🙂 Can I ask what you use to wash  your brushes. Do you deep condition them? With so much love for brushes I figured you would be a great person to ask! Thanks for sharing.

Spoiler
@1tinybubble I am no expert but I am more than glad to share. First off, unless you are a MUA or you need to sanatize your brushes for whatever reason, avoid any soap which has alcohol or other harsh ingredients (can be harmful to your brushes). If the brush I am washing has grey squirrel or is a very soft goat then I will use baby soap. Personally I use Johnson and Johnson baby soap since it's fairly cheap, but I think most mild baby soaps will do. For most goat hair, synthetic, kolinsky, water badger etc. I use either the Beauty Blender Solid Cleanser, dr. Bronners Castile liquid soap, dr. Bronners baby Castile bar soap, or savon de Marseilles.
As far as conditioning I do not currently use any product specifically to condition my brushes. I am a bit apprehensive to condition the brushes as that is not currently recommended (although it is not currently advised against either) by various Japanese brands to care for your brushes. Also, the brush blogger who I trust (Sonia from sweetmakeuptemptations) does not currently list conditioning brushes in her regime (however again, I have not seen her say anything against it, nor have I asked her what she thinks of it). Therefore personally I will not do it, but only because people who I trust with brush care have not outwardly recommended it. If you are a MUA or need to sanatize your brushes I would recommend using the savon de Marseille to clean your brushes as it is made using olive oil which is moisturizing. Otherwise you could use extra virgin olive oil and work a small amount into your brushes if you feel them drying out. (I have personally never done this so please use caution, but I have read that people use this)
My next step is using the brush comb shown in the second photo, first row, very last item on the right. You comb the hair as you would your own hair beginning at the tip of the hair and the very top of the hair and gently working the brush through.
I hope I helped somehow. I apologize for being such a scaredy cat! ><

@Cahlee  Thanks for the information, you gave me something to think about in caring for my brushes. 

Wow, I would like to shop this brush store, lol 😉

Come on in, we're open 😉

This is so pleasing to my eyes!!!! I love your collection 😄

Thank you 🙂

I knew I want to avoid this thread. 😉 Beautiful collection. This reminds me I need to give all my babies a wash. How do you like those red handle Koyudo? 

Thank you! I swear this thread is a danger zone. So many pretties to obtain. The red handle koyudos are the Lohas series. I just got these in recently and have yet to give them a wash. From first feel while they are soft the bristles look almost oily and look similar to the MUFE brush hairs after being washed. Hopefully that will change with a wash but I guess I won't know until I do. Whenever I talk myself into having a washing day. Why must washing days be such a pain?!

Thx @Cahlee. What do you think about Koyomo set you got there? I have them in my cart (sigh) but can't decide if I should hoard. Too many pretties!

@blackkitty2014 I think the Koyomo set is a great set. Initially I got the set to get a feel for Koyomo itself before I decided to add any of the other brushes to my wishlist and I was delighted to find I really enjoy this set. The hairs are soft, but firm enough to easily pick up product and blend it. Hoard! Hoard them all 🙂

Hi @Cahlee,

You have a beautiful collection of brushes! I love Marc Jacob's Brushes! I have not tried the Make Up Forever brushes, but would really like to see how the "paint brush" performs! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Thank you! The paint brush is definitely interesting. I have yet to find a perfect use for it aside from contour, but I could not resist the handles shape and look. 

2 Replies
testing