Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

My herculean task last weekend.

Before....

810cf5ed-001b-4a0a-9598-a8c81384dcaf.jpg

Like 1.5 hours later....

IMG_3409 (2).jpeg

Wow that’s ALOT of brushes to clean and do fast @makeitup305❤️ how do you clean your brushes or have any tips? I would love to hear some!❤️❤️❤️

@happyskincare It was sometime between 1.5-2 hours I think. I use the Target Everspring dish soap and occasionally the Dawn Power Wash (for foundation and concealer brushes). I’ve used other soaps before but this one is affordable and doesn’t dry out my brushes. I scrub them gently on a Sigma mat and then rinse them (occasionally scrubbing as I rinse). I squeeze out the water gently and then dry them out using a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Then lay them flat to dry. 

@makeitup305, that's an impressive number and assortment of brushes! Pretty swift cleaning time, too!!

@TraceyEB This is probably some of the fastest I’ve washed them, tbh. I think it’s usually 2 hours plus lol I think it was faster this time because I went lighter on the soap. Rinsing them always takes a long time and I end up having to re-rinse some at the end. 

@makeitup305, I've been known to re-rinse at the end as well, or wash a little more (I'm looking at you dense foundation brushes)!

@TraceyEB I’ll be drying them and then hear the crackling of the soap on the brush and let out a groan. 

@makeitup305, hahahaha, been there! 😂

Wow! Great job @makeitup305 ! I always feel so much better after I get all of mine clean.

@faeriegirl it feels really satisfying after having them pile up for so long!

Wow, great job, @makeitup305!

Thanks @curlychiquita !

You have such an amazing assortment and variety of brushes 💕 @makeitup305 

@peculiarzmakeup thank you!

@makeitup305 Woah….😮 that’s a lot of brushes to clean. 

@SportyGirly125 that's pretty much my full collection lol I kept putting the dirty ones aside to clean and then never had time. Eventually I just ran out of brushes 😅

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽@makeitup305 

Good gracious, woman that is quite a task.  Don't you feel great that they are all done at least?  What were your items of choice for the task?

(Also, I'm a total weirdo add zoomed in and started trying to identify the brushes in the second picture 🤣😂)

@danielledanielle it was really satisfying, for sure. I've been putting it up for months at this point. It came to a head when I simply just didn't have clean brushes left lol I used the Everspring (Target brand) unscented dish soap and a little bit of Dawn power wash on the foundation brushes. It always takes me forever since I go practically one by one and I use brushes for concealer and foundation as well, which are usually a pain to get fully clean. I've used other brush soaps and the Everspring works just as well and doesn't dry them out. What do you use? My natural brushes are WG, SG, and Rephr (I'm missing most of their newest releases, though). The ones with the green handles are Spectrum x KJH, which have been surprisingly good. The rest are a random assortment of Sephora Collection, really old Morphe and Sigma, some Rose Inc, Real Techniques, and one or two from various brands. 

Ooh @makeitup305 .  I've read many times that liquid detergent gets them just as clean as any other branded soap.  However, I really like the jumbo charcoal soap from beautyblender, because it's lasted forever.  I think what I'm using now is Rephr's charcoal soap because it was free in an order as I'm holding onto my last jumbo BB soap from an Ulta 21 DOB.

Brush brandwise, we're pretty similar some brand specifics (I saw that kvd foundation one), Sonia, Sigma, Rephr, Wayne Goss, Sephora and Elf.

@danielledanielle I went for the Target one because it's supposed to be oil-based surfactant and I think that makes it less drying (kind of like Dr.Bronner's soap). I could be wrong, though. I think I used one of those BB ones way back when and have always thought about repurchasing but by the time I went to Ulta to get them they were sold out. 

I had a mini slip yesterday and ordered the Rephr set. $36 wasn't too bad. Plus I tend to use synthetics daily for foundation and concealer so they'll come in handy. Let me know what you think when you try them.

I love looking at your brush hauls. I'm dying for the newest WG and SG but those need to wait for a Beautylish gift card event or something. As pretty as they are, I can't justify them at the moment and I'm definitely have more than enough lol

1,986 Replies
testing