Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@Mochapj can you please post a pic of the chikuhodo foundation with the Tom ford foundation brush? I think you got the tf foundation brush iirc, I want to get another tf foundation but I m considering a chiku now.thank you 🙂

@dioradict, I think this is the TF foundation brush (#2?) - I don't actually use it for foundation so I'm not 100% on what the #2 is for.

they are close to the same size and both have same softness.  The chiku is round and dense, and the TF is more oval and looser.

image.jpeg

Hope that helps 

@Mochapj Thank you so much :). Yes #2 is cream foundation brush which I use a lot.probably I will get the chiku T3 then 🙂

Any tips on cleaning spooley brushes?

I use one of those silicone brush cleaning pads for spoolies.

Drip some soap on the spoolie, and then roll it around on the pad, then rinse.

I love brushes!! They are my complete weakness. I cannot compare with many of the brush junkies here, but it is pretty bad...

Nice collection of brushes. The way I store my brushes is I keep the ones I use for liquid or cream foundations together, face powders with color together, the setting powder brushes together, eye makeup brushes together; depending upon whether they're used for color, blending, lining etc...  Well, you get the idea. I, also store them in a cabinet and tall dresser drawer to keep everyday dust from collecting on them.  There are brush sleeves you can buy that will help them keep their shape too. Most importantly I keep them stored upright as well. Hope that helped. 

I had way too much time on my hands today and decided to take them all out. Here are my babies!

BRUSH33.jpg

BRUSHES44.jpg

bbb.jpg

bbbbb.JPG

BB.jpg

Spoiler
Brush Brand Information

Top Picture:
Tom Ford, Surratt Beauty, Chikuhodo, Suqqu, Kojudo, Wayne Goss

Second Picture:
More Koyudo, Koyomo, Houkodou, More Chikuhodo, Mizuho

Third Picture:
MAC, Bobbi Brown, Cle De Peau, Wayne Goss

Fourth Picture:
Marc Jacobs, Sephora, Kat Von D, Bobbi Brown, Make Up For Ever, Too Faced, Tarte, Real Techniques, It Cosmetics, Stila, Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Pur Minerals

Last Picture:
Artis Brush, Cailyn O Wow, Wayne Goss, Besame Cosmetics, Sigma, Benefit, Sephora X Hakuhodo

If you would like to know about any specific brush, feel free to ask!

These are all my brushes minus one I left out and a few that are on the way. 

I feel so at home in this thread surrounded by fellow brush junkies. It has been so fun ogling at other people's collections and I hope many more people continue to post. Personally I have added a few brushes to my wish list after scrolling through this thread. Anyone else in the same boat?

As for brush storage, most of my eyeshadow brushes go in a brush book. My face brushes either stay in the box they were sent in (if not used often) or are kept in brush rolls or in a jar full of beads. My tip to anyone who wants to put brushes in a glass or jar of beads/stones or little anything is make sure whatever you are using as filler is not rough. I made a mistake of using a rougher filler when I first started and the bottoms of some of my brush handles have little scratches from it. Also, even if the filler is smooth, if the filler is too big it can still cause scratches when you try to put your brushes back into place.

Another question I just thought of for you @Cahlee!

Do you own any duplicates of any of your brushes? Or have you repurchased any brushes that have been lost, worn out, etc? Any you honestly don't like and just keep for the visual fulfillment and/or the sake of your collection?  Oh, and what would you say was your "gateway brush" into the world of high end/specialty brushes? 

Guess that's not another question as much as someother questions. 🙂

@etscore1

Spoiler
 I do not currently own duplicates of any brushes. At some point late last year I almost bought a second Marc Jacobs Face 2 brush, but that was before I fell down the rabbit hole. I have only had most of these brushes for about a year (up until probably September of 2015 my brush collection consisted of a small handful of brushes *side note* I started wearing makeup around September of 2014) I haven't had a need to replace any of my brushes yet as they're all relatively new and thankfully none have gone missing. However, I did almost replace a brush I thought I lost when I took my brushes out for their photo op for this thread. I was almost in tears because I could not find my Chikuhodo Z-3. It was later found under a brush box, but if I did not find it I was determined to replace it. I love all my brushes, I would have to say that for the most part they are all there because I love how they perform. If I had to single out a few I keep around just because I already have them they would be the Sephora blending brush, the Tarte foundation brush, the too faced powder brush, the real techniques brush and 3 of the it cosmetics brushes. I have small issues with each of these brushes either due to design or performance. There are also two brushes I have bought mainly just to complete a collection which include the TF paddle shaped foundation brush and the Chikuhodo gsn-6. Both brushes are beautiful and perform well but paddle brushes are not my preferred shape so I did originally pick them up to complete sets. My gateway brush, or well brushes would be the Wayne Goss brushes. Once I tried out his eyeshadow brushes I began to question what brushes could really offer me. Afterward I dove into Marc Jacobs, MUFE then Tom Ford. A month later I bought my first three brushes from CDJapan (Chikuhodo Makie-1, Makie-2 and Z-9) It's all a blurr after that 😄

Wow! Beautiful. This makes me want to invest in some more brushes. 

986c441f27389afb43cab15cbf3ae3b5-2.jpg

I'm trying to invest in some higher end brushes.  What would you recommend for eyes?  I have smaller hooded eyes, I need something small-ish.  I'm also interested in a good blush brush.

Thanx

Spoiler

Hello 🙂

For hooded eyes some brushes I would recommend are the:

Tom Ford eyeshadow contour brush #12
(Smaller than Mac 139, angled edge and densely packed bristles allows for precise work. All over brush)

Houkodou G-S2

(Soft, firm, brush. Packs product on well)

Chikuhodo Z-10

(Pencil brush, very soft. Great for sensitive eyes) 

Wayne Goss 05 

(Small than Chikuhodo Z-10, more precise product placement) 

Surratt Beauty Classique Petite Shadow Brush

or 

Surratt Beauty Classique Moyenne Shadow Brush 

(Depending how much lid space you have you may favor the medium or the small more) 

Chikuhodo Takumi Brush #7

(Small handle, easy to control. Soft goat) 

Koyomo Pink Pearl Shadow brush (both of them, one is flat, the other is more tapered) 

(Small handle, brush head is small and should be good for small eyelids) 

Chikuhodo GSN-9

(If small handles are not your thing, this brush has a long handle, small brush head. Grey squirrel hair.)

Koyudo BP036

(Beautiful precise blender brush or for getting into the crease) 

Chikuhodo R-S4

(Great for applying shadow to the outer corner of the eye) 

Houkodou W-S3

(Do not have this one, but I do plan to get it. Brush head is tapered which can help with crease work but it does fluff out on the side which can make it great for blending)

As for blush:

Houkodou G-C3

(Beautiful brush, very soft but more resilient than grey squirrel which makes it easier to pick up pressed product) 

Koyudo BP016 (Goat)

Or

Koyudo BP017 (Pine Squirrel)

Or

Koyudo BP018 (Gray Squirrel) 

(Same exact brush head with three different hair types. Something to take into consideration is whether or not you have sensitive skin. If you do I would recommend the 018 or 017. Another thing to consider is what kind of blushes you use often. If you use pressed blushes that are not very pigmented the 016 may be best for you. If you use very pigmented blushes and you want a brush that will pick up less product, the 018 will be perfect) 

Suqqu Cheek Brush

(More of a long, tapered, slightly domed brush. Small brush head means you can carefully place your product only where you want it to go) 

Chikuhodo Z-4

Or

Chikuhodo Z-8

(It's a personal choice between a smaller brush head (more precision) or a larger brush head (less precision but it covers more are quickly)

Surratt Beauty Cheek Brush

(Domed brush for people who prefer that shape to apply brushes. Great brush, very soft)

Chikuhodo Takumi Brush #4

(Another domed brush. Goat hair makes it easier to pick up product but that may not be what you want if you're working with a pigmented blush)

Chikuhodo GSN-4

(Long handled brush, grey squirrel/goat hair mix. It is recommended for another purpose but for quite a few of the GSN series brushes the brush heads are too large for their recommended usage. This is a good size for blush) 

thumb.jpgThank you so much.  Trying to get started can be so overwhelming!  

So much minion love! So adorable 😄 

It was my pleasure to help. If you ever have any more questions feel free to ask. 

When I first started buying Japanese made brushes I was also overwhelmed. I'm glad I can use the bits of information I have gathered to help someone else.

Ok, I have to ask... what is the brush you reach for most often?! Which one's are your fav, which ones the softest?! Amazing collection!

@Sonny4President 

Spoiler

I had to take some time to think about your questions when I first saw them so please excuse how long I took to reply. The brush I reach for most is the Wayne Goss brush 03. It is pure magic. No matter what eyeshadow look I am going for, it is always used.

My favorites would have to be the WG 03 brush, artis brush 7(amazing for liquid foundation), Marc Jacobs face 2 brush (another amazing brush for liquid foundation), Chikuhodo Makie-2 (The cherry blossom design is gorgeous), Surratt Sublime Powder brush (huge brush head, so soft), Chikuhodo G-16 (beautiful tapering, easy product placement), Houkodou G-C3 (perfect for applying blush), Koyudo BP017 (perfect median between the BP016 and BP018), Koyudo Saibikoho Yakasugi blush brush (beautiful brush, handle smells great, hair is very soft), Tom ford brush 04 (exact placement of highlight). These are what came first to my head but honestly any of the brushes from the first three photos could qualify. 

The softest are the Koyudo Saibikoho Yakasugi blush brush, Surratt Sublime powder brush, suqqu face brush, and any of the Chikuhodo grey squirrel powder brushes.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. 

@Cahlee How does the Wayne #3 compare to the Surrat one's that are similar shaped?

@Sonny4President The WG #3 brush's tip is thicker whereas the tip on the Surratt brushes come to a more pointy slim tip. For example the Surratt brushes have a triangular shape to it's tapering. Pointy tip, and gradually gets thicker. The WG brush has an almond shape with a thicker pointy tip and then the sides of the brush tapers out and rounds out on both sides of the tip like an almond. (Im sorry if I didn't word that well) I find that the Wayne Goss can be used for both applying color to the lid, outer V, crease and blending color. The Surratt brushes I find are better for blending as the tip of the brush is very slim and so it can give a little too much to apply for precise placement. 

upload_4830219452499575436.gif

Can I come over and play @Cahlee?

I may have to ask you a couple of questions regarding an upcoming brush purchase I'm considering... I'm guessing you have each of the ones I'm considering. 🙂

@etscore1 Of course, fluffies are best enjoyed with others! 

If I can help in any way I would be overjoyed to. Therefore, if you see any of the brushes you are considering in the photos that you have questions about, ask away. I know that when I'm looking into buying a new brush I love seeing it from various angles, and reading about how it compares to other brushes but that isn't always easy to find. I'll be glad to help enable or disenable!

1 Reply
testing