Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Yay! People are interested!

I've been going through my stash finding scents I think I'll be able to tolerate (the ones in the box). This is great for tossing ones I'll never use.

IMG_8009.JPG

Ha, I'm checking out your rejects and feeling like we may have the same taste in perfume.  I like sweet and rosey scents.  

I only wish my five Chloe vials were Roses de Chloe instead. Unfortunately, I only have one vial of Roses de Chloe. 😢

I did set aside at least two vials of Chloe to try to finish next month. 

I think the piece about finding scents I'm able to tolerate is key @txcatx. I think this is part of my problem.  I'm super picky about scents so when I like something I tend to just go with it and apply it every single day.  This will be a good challenge for me to actually even smell all the vials in my stash.

Definitely, @kelloua! I hate overly floral scents and anything musky or amber, so I probably won't have 31 perfumes. My goal is just to use many of the vials I have next month. I keep thinking I'll save these vials for travel, but I end up packing rollerballs I've purchased.

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Received some samples from Libertine Fragrance today and tested the first couple samples today 🙂

libertine-fragrance-perfume-libertine-fragrance-troubled-spirits-19273724985510

Gilded is a sweet, spicy fragrance with an absolute stunner of an opening. It's a fantastic blend of bright citrus and fragrant and greenish cardamom that's lit up and rounded out with the warmth of cinnamon. I love cardamom and this first phase is just a joy to smell. I wish this phase lasted forever. The dry down starts to introduce a resinous character that becomes darker and sweeter and at this point there's an excellent balance between the bright, buoyant top notes and the low thrum of sweet notes from below. However, the the scent continues to develop and those bright notes fade, the gilded light begins to dull and feel a little flat and uneven, as if you turned a vase and noticed a glaring spot that went unpolished. I noticed though, where I sprayed twice, the dullness is much less pronounced so I think the trick here is adjusting the volume. The dry down is very sweet, but never in a harsh way. Great projection that lasted through the day. In the last phase of the fragrance, the toffee, burnt sugar notes of immortelle dominate although it's always soft around the edges. It's ultimately too sweet for me ultimately but what an opening for a cardamom lovers!

With its mellow sweetness and deep rich shades, Troubled Spirits definitely feels like an autumnal fragrance to me. Having said that, it's too abstract to conjure up specific images of burning leaves or medlar apples, rather it offers an olfactory palette of autumn colours. Opens with a smoky, gentle and fermented sweetness paired with a touch of a pungent, organic decay, like waterlogged wood. It keeps the scent interesting and from falling into cliched territory. As TS develops, it takes on a more comforting side as a cuddly vanilla and warm amber enter the scene and infuses the wood with a creamy, boozy character. I think fans of scents like Jeke, Broken Theories, Holy Mountain, and sweet oriental ambery scents will enjoy this.

@pocketvenus Gilded sounds very nice.

@pocketvenus - The opening of Gilded sounds so nice!  I just can't do sweet.  Oh, well...

@Titian06 The sweetness is of a soft kind, nothing overly dense or cloying, but I know what you mean.

I've tried three samples recently:

- Hermes Un Jardin Sur La Lagune:  An evocation of flowering trees, musks, and Madonna lilies.  To me it smelled like flowering trees where the flowers are past their prime.  Picture a rainy day where the flowers have fallen off the tree and are laying on the sidewalk, wet and decaying.  Best of all, the scent lasted for several hours!  😄

- Giogio Armani Code:  I think for a brief second while I was spraying this on I may have smelled cinnamon.  Otherwise, absolutely nothing!

- Givenchy Irrésistible Eau de Parfum 1.1 oz/ 35 mL Eau De Parfum Spray :  Luscious rose dancing with radiant blond wood.  Wow, I can't believe how much I like this one!  I can't wear any products with a rose scent because it is a migraine trigger for me.  The rose in this perfume is noticeable, but light and warm.  The other notes in this scent keep the rose in check.  This perfume lasted for a few hours, which was nice.

@Titian06 Ahahaha omg the Hermes description.

I absolutely agree about Givenchy Irrésistible! It's such a beautiful light floral scent that just invokes such happiness when I smell it.

@Titian06 the latest Jardin is definitely interesting, more heavy than the rest of the line. I love how Christine Nagel seems to have a lot of creative freedom with Hermes!

TOM FORD Soleil Blanc 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray

AERIN Hibiscus Palm Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray

I got Aerin Hibiscus Palm sample the other day. It’s an instant love but it’s almost a dead on dupe for Tom Ford Soleil Blanc. I think HP is a bit stronger than SB. Now I can’t decide which one I should get a full-size bottle 🤣😂

@blackkitty2014 Great to hear.  Tom Ford Soleil Blanc is one of my favorite scents.  

@blackkitty2014  - The one that costs less!  💰💰💰

@Titian06 A lot less 🤣😂 I was thinking that too. I just get the Aerin and ditch TF Soleil Blanc next sale 😘

I was given a sample of Eleventh Hour which I never bothered to test on my skin. Upon smelling it, I realize I was too dismissive and didn't give this scent enough of a chance the first time around. It opens with a well-balanced combination of tart apple, earthy fig, sweet woods. Heavier than is typical for the house with a sweet and woody dry down. A nice wear for the fall.

barneys-new-york-byredo-eleventh-hour-eau-de-parfum-2

@pocketvenus 

I own this one and love it! (I love the name and inspiration behind it too - I always had a flair for the dramatic lol). I purchased when I was in France, so significantly cheaper than on our side of the pond. 

@pocketvenus ooh this one sounds lovely.

@Samtianyes, it's totally wearable! Though my bottom line is at Byredo's prices, I'd rather buy something more unique or buy something versatile from a cheaper house.

1 Reply