Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

EYE SHADOW CENTRAL

A place to share and discuss our love and obsession for eye shadows and other eye related products. Ask questions, share your favorites, post looks and swatches. Anything goes!

eyeshthread.jpg

Re: EYE SHADOW CENTRAL

@RGbrown  yeah it sure can be tricky! Sometimes having a few of each product out makes it easier... I think the more you play and get to know the colors your own the easier it becomes to pair... you know... like you'll pull out an eye shadow and know exactly which lipstick that will go well with it... but other times what you picture in your head is completely wrong and have to pull all of them out :D. And undertones can be tricky too 🙂

Yeah I think I had done a lime green/yellow eye with a hot pink gloss... so it wasn't super in your face pink but it was still there.  It's a play on red and green which are complementary colors. 🙂

@RGbrown - If gold looks better on you, then you have warm/yellow undertones.  If silver looks better on you, then you have cool/pink/red undertones.  If both look good on you, then you have neutral undertones.  Or if you find that pink undertone makeup just doesn't look right and yellow undertone makeup just doesn't look right, then you're neutral--this is me!  It took me years to figure this out too.  Everything is geared for being cool or warm.  Those of us who are neutral don't have many options.

If you're afraid of red lipstick, I recommend Clinque Chubby Stick Intense in Chunkiest Chili.  It's not a true straight up blue-based red, so you won't look like a fire truck.  It's a muted brownish red.  It was my "starter" red.  I've since moved on to the fire engine reds!

Edit:  I love lipstick as much as I love eyeshadow!  🙂

This is me as well - for the longest time, I figured I was warm-toned (and gold looks fine on me) but I've always preferred silver or white-gold (or cool colors in general). It wasn't until going through Alima Pure's match system that I realized that I've apparently got both yellow and reddish undertones (apparently managed to throw off a couple of associates in Sephora when I asked, too).

I've always been more of an eyeshadow girl over lipstick (mostly because I had always been able to blend eyeshadows out if I made a mistake or didn't like something. I can't do that quite as easily with lipstick), but I'm definitely starting to experiment more with lipstick again (my husband's not quite as happy with that, since most of my lipsticks tend to transfer). One of my favorites for a bold lip is Atomic MakeupNYC's Tie Me Up. It's a darker red with a cool undertone that looks fabulous with my skin... but I've been a berry/wine girl for a long, long time.

@Titian06 I've got Mac ruby woo and nars cruella. I've tried them both around the house, but for some reason I just couldn't adjust to them. A bold red somehow seems more...something...grown up maybe?...than I normally feel. I don't know how to describe it, really. One day I'll work up the nerve lol.

As far as tones...honestly I'm not really sure what I am. I don't wear any face products like foundation or concealer, so I've never really had to figure that out, and I've never really been that worried about it. Typically warmer colors speak to me more when I see them in the pan, but I really don't know what I "should" be wearing. I know some colors look better on me than others, but I've never really stopped to analyze what's what. I probably should at some point though!

@RGbrown  @Titian06 provided some good tips!  You can also look at your veins on your wrist in natural light. That will help determine your skin tone.

If they are blue/violet you have cool skin tone (pink based foundation)

If they are more green/olive you have a warm skin tone (yellow based foundation)

If you have both or they appear blue/green you are neutral.

I'm neutral but have a lot of red in my cheeks so I either look for a neutral foundation or a yellow based one to counteract the redness.

193 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos53
  • image.jpeg
  • eyeshthread.jpg
  • 2296293.jpg
  • ebfa9d4c0e1d3bba3c5831bbbd4e22eb.jpg
  • ff1719480b57c339_BlueDahlia_Fall-Color-colle.jpg
  • gateway_redirect.php.jpeg
  • IMG_1744.JPG
  • upload_2171224035865269170.jpg
  • image.jpeg