Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 1/6/23]

06.19.20_We're taking the 15% Pledge.png

[[UPDATE 1/6/23: Please join us in welcoming a another new-to-Sephora Black-Owned Brand, Ami Colé! Founder Diarrha N’Diaye sought to fill a gap in the makeup space by creating complexion products suited for melanin-rich skin. Created with this in mind, Ami Colé products celebrate deeper skin tones and are good for your skin with nourishing ingredients that are Clean at Sephora. Shout out to @NatashaTendai@Nenepink@meghan504@TamaraJMorris@JleeWins@ZooLife@YANZTHEFIRST@tjm1992, and @Kiatch, who had all mentioned the brand previously in this thread! Learn more about the brand and browse the products on our Black-Owned-Beauty Guide, and read the latest updates on the steps Sephora is taking to champion diversity and inclusion beyond the 15 Percent Pledge: https://www.inside-sephora.com/en/usa/diversity-equity-inclusion]]

We recognize how important it is to represent Black businesses and communities, and we must do better. 

You may have seen in Summer 2020 that Sephora partnered with designer Aurora James to take the 15% Pledge. The 15% Pledge is James’ nonprofit calling on retailers (like Sephora) to dedicate 15% of shelf space to Black-owned brands. Why 15%? As explained on the 15% Pledge website, “Black people in the U.S. make up nearly 15% of the population. So, we are calling on major retailers to commit a minimum of 15% of their shelf to Black-owned businesses.” We are so excited to be the first retailer to take the pledge and are looking forward to seeing others join us in the 15% Pledge. Next, we want to hear from you!*

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? Be sure to let us know your favorite product(s), what makes this brand unique, etc. 

Thank you in advance for your guidance and support. We look forward to learning from you!

*We will not be able to guarantee these brands join our Sephora brand roster, but we value your expertise as individual beauty lovers who shop outside of Sephora and our brands. Black-owned brands interested in partnering with Sephora can apply through RangeMe.

Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 3/23]

How about ColouredRaine and a Canadian one like BoursieCosmetique? 

Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 3/23]

Desperately need some Black-owned bath and body products.  Shower gels, hand soaps, hand lotions, etc.  As for other Black owned brands that I know of that you should research:  botica, minimo glow, western & rose.

Uoma Beauty

Their foundations and concealers are phenomenal, as are the shade ranges. Their eyeshadow palettes are super pigmented and quite lovely; some of my favorites actually.

Beauty Bakerie

Those blushes, (champagne & cotton candy palette has some of the prettiest glowing blushes I’ve used) highlighters and lippies are great.

Juvia’s Place

Affordable, beautiful and super pigmented. Love their shadow palettes!

The Lip Bar

Gorgeous lip products and I believe there are now face products as well.

I’m sure there are many more spectacular black owned brands that would be a perfect fit for Sephora, those are the ones that come to mind now.

Yes to all of the brands you mentioned! 

It would be nice to see#GoodeButter products in Sephora. Pure, natural ingredients with mega slip. I love Goode Butter. Please consider this brand. Thanks

Base Butter would be a great addition to your shelves.

Here's a link to black-owned beauty and skincare lines that Sephora should really consider getting:

---

I'm so happy to hear Sephora is taking a "Pledge" of 15% percent shelf space.  How long will that 15% shelf space last?  I know it is popular right now because of all the social / violent atrocities committed against people of color right now.  In five to ten years, will Sephora have increased their "shelf space" from 15% to 50% since Brands of Color makes products for everyone?  What does that 5 to10 year strategic business plan look like Sephora? How long will this bandwagon last Sephora?  I'm glad they are giving Brands of Color some shelf space but unfortunately, it's all about revenue and I have a horrible feeling that when the winds change and things go back to "normal", so will representation for Brands of Color. The sad irony - if more companies supported Brands of Color, those companies like Sephora,  would make even more MONEY 🙂

I would love to See 54 Thrones,, this stuff is Amazing. 🤎🤎🤎

I think its odd that there a are many struggling black owned beauty business that could truly benefit from being fast tracked and publicized and yet you chose fenty beauty for all 3 categories. Fenty Beauty is only owned 15% or less by Rihanna. The majority owner is the CEO of lvhm, Bernard Arnault, a billionaire white man. It takes 2 minutes on Google to research this. This is just more corporate bull. I wonder how much sephora got in return benefits for sneaking in a majority white owned business into this ad. @sephora, #sephora

You made a lot of great points. I would like to add my own (long) opinion to the mix.

I know that brands (fragrance, makeup, skincare...) often use a celebrity/celebrities as their face(s) or "head(s)" to attract the celebrity/celebrities' fanbase when the celebrity/celebrities actually owns a minority (<50%) of the brand. Recent examples include Rare beauty (it was in development by veteran beauty executives for at least the past 5 years, Selena Gomez is just the face of the brand) and Fenty beauty. Nowadays the celebrity makeup and/or skincare brand is the new celebrity perfume brand from the 2000s (for example Taylor Swift perfumes). Whenever I see a celebrity brand, I know that they are just the face of the brand. The celebrity could play more of a role than the face of a brand (ex: help with product development, lead shows...), but they weren't the ones developing the brand from scratch. 

To add on to your concern, LVHM owns a lot of brands and is worth a lot (like you said the CEO is a billionaire (& he's been in the business for a long time)) and Rihanna has a strong fanbase so Sephora's increased coverage of Fenty helps Sephora in the end. Also, Sephora along with other retailers like Target and ULTA (Sephora's competitor that earned more money than Sephora the past yr (or yr before I forgot)) chose to increase the number of black-owned brands they have when there is a public outcry (Black Lives Matter movement, 15PercentPledge, Pull up or Shut Up). So I just see all this black-owned brands/15% pledge that Sephora and other retailers are doing as a PR image booster but that doesn't mean customers like you and me can't benefit from having more black-owned brands more accessible to us. If Sephora and other retailers really cared, then they would focus on educating their staff on racism including racial biases and micro-aggressions, and allowing Black (and non-white) staff to shine and move up to executives and other high-powered positions. 

@Nahnom @aabrents  Quick addition to this discussion: LVMH also owns Sephora. With that in mind, it's not surprising to see all the Fenty support and marketing. (Fenty's not a Sephora newcomer.) 

In Canada…please have all the same black owned business products that are available in the US. Tried of NOT having the same shopping experience in Canada than when in the US. There are a lot of black people in Canada too. Too often Canadians are left out when it comes to black owned business products. One brand in particular is Bread Beauty Supply and CurlSmith. 

There are also a lot of great black owned canadian businesses that would take that shelf space. I’de rather start by those. 

NOLA Skinsentials

Something dedicated to edges. I'm really surprised none of the above products even mentioned how to care for you edges even if the product is already available. It's such a hot topic right now. I'd like to see a good gel. I have sister locs and nothing, holds my edges down. NOTHING 😆

Try Patterns...I was like you; then I found it. 

You know.. Uoma is really really wonderful. I'm so happy to support such an up and coming brand... They are going to blow up . Even moreso than they already have... Amazing.. ##uomarules

@uomalove

I would like to see hair products for dreadlocks

We’re so thrilled to see all of your warm welcoming words for our newest Black-owned brands at Sephora, and love reviewing your latest brand recommendations -- keep them coming by replying to this thread with more Black-owned brands you love.

Now introducing our latest spotlight, Topicals! This science-backed skincare brand from Olamide Olowe creates products to target and treat chronic skin conditions like eczema and hyperpigmentation. But more importantly, Topicals seeks to transform the way you feel about your skin. Dark spots, dryness, discoloration? They just met their match: Topicals Duo for Dry, Sensitive Skin & Discoloration 

Learn more about Topicals now on our Black-Owned-Beauty Guide, and stay tuned for more updates on our newest brands at Sephora: https://www.sephora.com/beauty/black-owned-beauty-brands

Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 2/26]

My favorite black owned makeup company is Juvia’s Place very exclusive

1 Reply
testing