Blush: Satisfy
Other: Gash nail polish

Re: Urban Decay Thread!

NEW UD NAKED palette, the Naked Ultimate Basics. - ETA Sept 18th

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 7.50.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 8.08.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 8.12.46 AM.png

Thank goodness they did not make it UD naked 5, else these Amazonians would be rich now 😛

Just yesterday I was wondering when UD would launch another Naked palette! And here it is. 😛 I really like the top row. 

Me, too! I am really liking the top row! The bottom one... not so much.

For those of you who have the Moon Dust palette, does yours have a smell? It isn't all the shadows I don't think. Just some, but it smells a little chemically. 

I just checked mine and it does, but only if I put my nose right up next to the palette. Like literally right up on it; at a distance of even 6" I can't smell anything. I hadn't noticed until you asked.

@JazaChai I come from a family with dog noses, I swear. Thanks! I guess I am not crazy after all (at least this time lol). 

I need that colorful palette in my life. I think it'll definitely give the Mi Vida Loca Remix palette a run for its money. The last few palettes that have come out I haven't been too passionate for enough to rush out and buy them unless they went on sale, but I hope this palette will be incredible.

Hi there! 

Hopefully someone one can help me. I'm trying to find out the expiration date of 2 lip glosses I own. I looked up a website via Google, but it is only telling me the manufacturing date, not the expiration date. 

One was manufactured august 2015, the other February 2016. 

Thanks! 

Are they unopened, or already in use?

If unopened and stored properly (dark, cool and dry - low humidity) they should be okay for ~2-3 years. But once opened and in use, lip glosses are usually only good for up to 1 year.

Look on the bottom or side of the package or container, you should see a little symbol that looks like an opened pot. Inside this symbol will be a number (ie. 6, 12, 18, 24) and a letter (M = months, Y = years).

Once they're opened and in use, that number is their shelf life. May be longer or shorter, depends on the  area climate (ie. do you live in the north, or somewhere tropical/humid), storage climate (storing them in dark, cool places or leaving them in hot cars or direct sunlight), and hygienic use (ie. someone who applies makeup to skin with sores would be adding more bacteria to the container than someone with clean and healthy skin).

Once you open them you just have to watch for a change in texture and smell. Especially smell. If they started out smelling great and start to smell.... odd.... toss it.

Thanks for the detailed response @mechart! It says on the gloss 24months. And I started using it a couple weeks ago! 🙂 

so does the manufacturing date not really matter? 

Welcome! I deal with special art supplies and tools for my work so this was something I learned along the way, and I looked up the same info for cosmetics when I started using makeup. The more you know 😉

The manufacturing date gives it a ballpark to work from, because the ingredients (in anything, really) can start to separate, break down, degrade etc.

Usually there's a good shelf life beyond expiration dates printed on packages, as long as they're unopened and properly stored. Once they're opened they're no longer sterile inside because air can get in (even makeup products with pumps are privy to this as the pumps always have a rewind motion that inevitably sucks in air and the particles in it).

There are some exceptions to the shelf life rules. Like natural products, in which case refridgeration helps slow down the degredation (like very high quality skincare products). Or caustic items (which is why things like pop cans don't last long beyond their expiry date -- the aluminum starts to rust and the contents can eat through the weakened can).

In all though we can enjoy our cosmetics for longer than most people think as long as we take care in using and storing them 🙂 Just watch for changes in smell or taste (like glosses). If it starts to go weird, probably a good idea to replace it.

New moon dust swatches

image.jpeg

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 5.28.22 AM.pngIMG_20160808_212803_edit1.png

@Libellules here it is!  For some reason I can't find it in the holiday thread... I'm pretty sure I had it posted there too... unless I posted in the fall thread lol... oh my where is my head! haha

ETA: Yup was posted in the fall thread because it hadn't been confirm that it was holiday... the moondust shadows were sent to bloggers as part of the holiday line up but they've been released already... it does get confusing at times lol

Ohhhh interesting @veronika23! There are definitely some pretty colors in this 🙂

@Libellules I can't wait to know more! Definitely on my list!!! 🙂

The palette looks awesome. But with all of the markdowns on UD palettes in the past year I don't think I can ever bring myself to pay full price for one again. 

@jeyrosella I wish I could wait until they go on sale... the stock in Canada is so low you have to buy when it comes out... To my knowledge the spectrum palette from last year was never on sale in Canada 😞

@veronika23I saw the Spectrum palette on sale at Burlington Sephora (Southern Ontario). However, I don't think we got the 2nd markdown on that palette, unless someone else saw it.

Thanks @kilov but I don't think it was ever on sale online. I just know when we want want something better grab it or it will be too late.

2,658 Replies
testing