Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Lol, I've played the same "game", @itscarin!  I almost squealed when I found an employee putting out hand wipes earlier today, lol.

@CookieGirl1  @itscarin  Ha, I call it the “what have people suddenly learned how to cook or clean” game. 2 weeks ago, very few people knew what smoked paprika and allspice are for. I guess now they’re randomly sweeping spices into their carts, because that Target’s spice racks were completely empty. 😄 I’m kind of disturbed by the sudden disappearance of hand soap; was no one ever washing their hands before? Do people not realize they can also use ANY body wash or hair shampoo that contains sulfates to wash their hands? Are people going to use hand soap to wash their hair and bodies? 

I might have to go foraging on Monday or Tuesday. Can’t wait to see what’s been restocked vs. hoarded. 

@WinglessOne Honestly I’m worried about the overuse of antibacterial products creating super strains of bacteria. It was a problem before covid19 and I shudder to think what the situation will be afterwards.  

I'm glad you're over the flu, @WinglessOne! I worry about...

I'm glad you're over the flu, @WinglessOne! I worry about a lot of my friends jobs and well-being, too.

Re: I'm glad you're over the flu, @WinglessOne! I worry about...

Thank you @curlychiquita ! This season’s flu is especially terrible. I feel for anyone who catches it (especially without having gotten a flu shot; my case was supposedly mild because I’d had the shot) and hope no one catches or re-catches it. 

I hate that people are losing jobs right now. I realize some businesses (travel, restaurant, etc.) can’t get around that now. But there’s no valid reason for industries like tech, communications, banks, etc. to let good employees go right now. Certain companies, like my former employer, will probably add this pandemic to their list of excuses for laying off another huge wave of employees later this year. 😡 I guess we’ll see which industries are begging for new hires by summer. Hopefully enough to support everyone. 

Glad to hear you are doing okay @WinglessOne but that stinks about already having the flu last month. I was just thinking I should PM as I've been worried about my Chicago peeps. Stay sane and safe. You've got the right attitude.

Thanks @sprocketta ! Gov. JB finally put Illinois on official lockdown yesterday through April 7, so we’re all under a “stay at home” mandate now. I hope this reduces viral spread—not just of covid-19 but also of flu viruses and pneumonia. 

@WinglessOne sorry you’ve been cooped up with the flu, happy that it sounds like you’re better now. 

We’ve been under self-quarantine for a little while now and as an introvert, I have no complaints 😂 Living with a family of extroverts however has proven to be the biggest challenge, and I feel for them. 

ok gotta go research those shirts, sounds intriguing;)

@eshoe  @heartsmyface  Heh, I should’ve explained... “Chirish” is a Chicago St. Patrick’s Day thing. St. Pat’s Day is as big a deal in Chicago as Mardi Gras is in New Orleans. We normally have 2 big parades, the Chicago River gets dyed green, and people swarm every bar in the city. 

My Irish (born and raised in Ireland) friends and I call it “Drunk Americans Day,” and each year we gripe about the spectacle of “kiss me I’m Irish” shirts and especially the “Chirish” (Chi-rish, which is supposed to mean Chicago Irish) shirts. Call me jaded but, after decades of dodging throngs of green-shirted drunks on the streets, I’m... not a fan of the post-parade activities. Anyway, St. Pat’s was canceled this year: no parades or river dying. Lots of people still hit bars the weekend before because they didn’t care about catching or spreading viral cooties. But at least they weren’t all stumbling around the streets this year. 😄 

@WinglessOne  Ah gotcha!  Funny it’s a holiday about Christianity coming to Ireland and everyone celebrates by getting wild drunk.  That sounds interesting turning the water green...how long does it stay green afterward?  

Ah, I’m sure they’d change their tune if they actually caught it.  It’s amazing how many people aren’t taking a state of emergency seriously.  The sea wall and the beaches were packed here today and photos are emerging online.  Not good.   The sooner everyone listens and self isolates the sooner this thing will subside. 😕   I love gatherings and themed parties but that can be done online.  We’re having an online party with DJs right now.  No cooties to be caught but lots of socializing for people who really need it.  it’s good fun (and easy on introverts who just need a small dose of social life).

1BCDD607-EAA9-4834-8A25-CE423B2CD735.jpeg

@heartsmyface  Haha, I love this! ❤️ I’ve been doing silly online chats with friends. I’m an extrovert—eh, more like a somewhat introverted extrovert. I loathe isolation. The main reason I refuse to move to the burbs is my need to be around other people. I’m doing surprisingly better than I thought I would, considering I’ve been largely self-quarantined since early February. Things like your online party definitely help. 

@WinglessOne  Oh my gosh how hard.   I suppose the slow progression of restrictions may have helped a bit with adjusting but still, if people are where you recharge yourself it’s going to be mentally draining.   I’m sure any form of contact is better than nothing though.  
We tend to naturally self isolate so I assumed I’d be alright socially but here I am not knowing what to do with myself.  There are a lot of interactions I took for granted which I’m missing.  I’m trying to keep busy so I don’t feel it as much.  Having a toddler in the house really helps with keeping busy but I’ve assigned myself daily projects on top of that so I can feel accomplished. Today’s plans are to pressure wash the back patio. :D.  

I am so jealous @heartsmyface, I want a pressure washer🤩 Sounds like so much fun!!!

@eshoe   😜 I suppose it’s fun the first couple times using one.  The novelty wears off quickly when you realize once you start cleaning a large area you have to finish or the ground will be two very distinctly different colours!  😭

Yeah I think that novelty would take me a couple of hours, @heartsmyface  hopefully I’d be finished by then.  I told my husband I wanted one for my birthday this year and didn’t get it. Not giving up hope🤨

@eshoe Pssssst- ask Santa for a pressure washer;);).  Santa knows you deserve one!  

Wow this takes me back @heartsmyface...

I lost all hope for one in the chaos of this year. It’s a much better choice than the gimmicky mask maker I was eyeing, for real;)

@eshoe   Yeah, seems like forever ago.  I was looking back at happier covid times (I can’t believe that’s even a thing, but when it seemed more temporary) 

What is this mask maker you speak of?  That sounds fun!  

I deleted my screenshots after finding the mold itself for around $12 with 1.5 out of 5 stars, @heartsmyface. Alas, my dreams of kiwi-strawberry glitter hydrogels are dashed.

923C87C7-CFD4-4238-BF5A-4B182C0BA55C.jpeg

@WinglessOne  Speaking if getting projects done, time to finally get around to painting the walls.   It’s only been three years and not one wall is painted.    And I guess this will help me fulfil my New Years résolution to cook more at home.   

We haven’t had time to go into panic mode though I feel like we’ll be okay with our regular stash of items for a while.  Hopefully things will level out by the time we need anything and if not we can adapt.  

I’m glad you were able to get out and clear your head with some fresh air.  I enjoy alone time but it’s good to get out for sanity's sake.  Do I want to know what a Chirish shirt is?  

Waiting to find out if my cousin has COVID 19. He is in Seattle and had the test done a few days ago. They told him it would’ve a few days or possibly next week. He has a primary immune deficiency. Wife pregnant and young child. I have a primary immune deficiency myself and also work for a physician that cares for immune deficient patients.

My mom says he is feeling better than he was but is quarantined in his home away from his wife and child. It doesn’t seem real until you know someone who might have it. 

2 Replies
testing