Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Thanks for sharing @sprocketta!!  🙂

@sprocketta I got a cold about a week ago combined with the ol’ seasonal allergy pick up... and I’ve been referring to these sorts of charts at least once a day because I’m paranoid. I’ve never had a fever or a cough, but I keep having to reminding myself my running nose and sneezing are NOT symptoms 😅

@alexasteph - I'm right there with you!  My allergies picked up last week just as the pandemic hit my state.  I'm glad I saw that chart online earlier in the week.

@alexasteph Sounds like me in February! I had a gnarly sinus infection and then lots of resulting post-nasal drip a couple of weeks ago (with the delightful cough to go with it!) and I spent the entire time second-guessing if I was positive! Never mind that my sinus issues happen EVERY YEAR like clockwork and I know exactly what it feels like, this whole COVID-19 has everyone on edge.

I hope you feel better soon @alexasteph!

@faeriegirl Haha, thanks. I’m fine though. With the allergies and my job, my nose is pretty much always running and I get a cold like 4 times a year so I’m used to it! 

Better to look and check @alexasteph I appreciate everyone who is sick with anything that is taking precautions just in case.

Thank you for posting the chart @sprocketta . I do not feel comfortable sharing my experiences with the pandemic but if I did post it most BIC would be shocked. Everyone take care and we will get through these tough times.

RE: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Hello from Kentucky. We have two confirmed cases in my town and I think 34 or so in the state. There have been two deaths. I work in retail and we are still open although we have a few people out. One of them got sick at work and they had to call an ambulance to come get her. All they did was give her a mask and told her to quarantine herself for two weeks. Nobody tested her. So we’ve been exposed to who knows what. What makes me angry is that our corporate offices are working at home, yet we’re out here working with the public. They’re not even sure we’re making enough to cover payroll since the store barely has customers. I suppose I should feel grateful to still be working, especially since the restaurant where my husband works has shortened their hours so his shift has been totally cut out, meaning we have less money coming in, meaning we won’t have enough money to pay all of the bills next month. We were already financially challenged so this couldn’t have come at a worse time. My daughter has also been affected. The job she was leaving shut down and the new job she was scheduled to start shut down. So she’s trying to figure out how she’s gonna pay her bills. I’m ready for all of this to be over.

Re: RE: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Wow, I'm surprised that you work in retail and you haven't had to close down, @divaknits.  Where do you work?  I hope that you stay healthy and well and that you and your family are able to be ok financially; this must be such a stressful time for you :(.

@divaknits Yes, I worry how we can all self quarantine when not everyone is in a position to do so. What about the grocery store workers and the delivery men and women?  They have to keep showing up to work so the rest of us can self quarantine. The sad part is I see this virus playing out along socioeconomic lines because as you mentioned. Corporate is teleworking and others are stuck out on the floor. We really need the government to intervene if that’s what they’re going to do. There can’t be this playing both sides of the fence business 

That' a lot, @divaknits 😞 I'll be thinking of you and yo...

That's a lot, @divaknits 😞 I'll be thinking of you and your family.

@divaknits how stressful that you’re all being  affected.  I hope you’re able to defer some payments or lower them.   I foresee a lot of families moving in together to make ends meet 😞  Not exactly idéal in the current environment but It seems like it’s going to be necessary to stay afloat for many.   

I’m going to be unable to see my dad for the next little while and I just pray he remains stable for two more weeks so I can visit him knowing I’m not going to infect him with anything.  I know it’s necessary but it is hard knowing he’s got so little time left and I can’t see him.  

@heartsmyface  Oh my heart goes out to you! The not being able to check up on your loved ones is the worst, it feels so helpless to just call and talk and not be able to physically check on them or hug them. I dropped off groceries to my parents last week and literally just waved to them through the glass screen door 😞 Sending healthy thoughts your way to your dad!

@heartsmyface ,

I relate so much to your worries and feelings about being separated from your elderly Dad at this time.  It's stressful.  I'm sure that many of us are worried about our parents who even may be far away.  I'm wishing you the best.

@divaknits I am so sorry, this must be incredibly stressful for both you and your daughter. Hugs to you and your family 😞🤗💗

@divaknits  Wishing this will all be over soon. I’ve been missing your beautiful face on the lipstick thread!! Hope your family and you are safe. 

I honestly don’t know how crazy Chicago is right now because I haven’t left my building in about 2 weeks (voluntary self-quarantine). Well, except one day this week when I went out for a walk. It was both incredibly strange and extremely refreshing to not see mobs of “Chirish“ t-shirts on the streets. 😄 

My anxiety’s having the time of its life as I fear for many other people’s well-being—not so much for health (though I do worry about folks with compromised immune systems) as financial and living situations. I spent much of last month with the flu and don’t want to catch it a second time, or catch some other crud, or risk spreading viral cooties, so I’ve been in hermit mode. It’s a good time to use up everything in the freezer and pantry. But I’m also ordering delivery from local restaurants to help keep them afloat. Restaurants are hurting badly in Chicago, trying to keep employees paid by shifting to solely delivery/carry-out mode.  

But I’m not in panic response mode and, frankly, don’t understand why anyone is. I’m not panicking about the number of confirmed infections here because I rationally expect it to climb—because so many folks have been unwitting carriers for a while and apparently no one knew how to wash their bleepin’ hands and not cough/sneeze on other people til a week ago. 🤷‍♀️ I especially don’t get the panic response of toilet paper and milk hoarding. Last time I visited a store (a Target), shelves were still fully stocked with cold, sinus, and pain meds. I guess all the hoarders will somehow ease their illness symptoms with milk and tp. 

Anyway, let’s see... last I heard, Chicago public schools are closed through April 20. Chicago has no shelter in-place mandate yet, but Oak Park’s under one as of tonight. Many retailers and other businesses are closed for at least the rest of March. I desperately want to walk down to my local Trader Joe’s because I’m out of cookie butter (now there’s a valid hoardable item, people) and I feel weird about ordering it online. I do think I’ll do a BOPIS order for my nearest Target, though, so I won’t have to wander the store touching surfaces and potentially spreading whatever I might be carrying. 

Here’s hoping we start seeing fewer cases reported soon. Drink plenty of fluids, eat your veggies, wash your hands, sanitize frequently touched surfaces at home, don’t touch your face while out in public... carry sanitizing wipes for touch screen consoles if you must use self checkouts, ATMs, or gas pump handles, or douse your hands in sanitizer afterward... don’t cough or sneeze without covering your mouth or nose (and not with your hands).

Do take this opportunity to do any projects you’ve put off around home. This is also a good time to research stuff, start learning (or relearning) a foreign language, learn new recipes and cooking techniques (if you happen to have all the ingredients and, I guess, don’t need milk for recipes :D), etc. 

Y’all stay sane out there! 

@WinglessOne -  Absolutely love the third paragraph of your post!  💖💖💖

@Titian06  I can’t wait to see what all the hoarders do with their multiple cartons/jugs of milk once they all hit expiration dates in about, oh, 1-2 weeks. 😄 

Really though, panic hoarders pick the oddest products. Not that folks should selfishly clear shelves of any product during a natural disaster, pandemic, snow-ins, etc., but c’mon man. 

@WinglessOne I love going to the grocery store right now. I call it “playing Soviet Russia grocery store” and I cruise the aisles and make note of what’s missing. Ketchup. Ramen noodles. Pasta. Baby wipes. Toilet paper. Salad. Chicken breasts. Etc. 

testing