Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

gingerdooo

Just finished this. I saw it was available to checkout from my library and remembered @itsfi @and couple ladies here love it.

IMG_2543.jpeg
it was interesting read. It almost likes a modern twist of Les Miserable. 

Veering away from works of fiction, I picked up a memoir for my next read - Private Equity by Carrie Sun. 
3.2024 Carrie Sun - Private Equity A Memoir.jpg
Notable Quotes:
Spoiler
There were several quotes that spoke to me, either because I resonated with the author's experiencess or what she was saying about those experiences, or because I found it thought provoking. Or, sometimes, both of those things rang true.

• "...you have to like what you do enough that the concept of 'spare time' seems mistaken."

• "I did not need to be single; I needed a partner who would not try to build enclosures."

• "We can, in fact, afford to slow down."

• "There are moments in life you fear not because the moment itself is so terrifying but because it will reveal something to you, about you, after which things will never be the same."

• "But the unconscious mind is an ocean where the conscious mind is a wave..."

I also discovered a couple new words - ones I've had to learn how to pronounce in addition to learning what they mean. I'll spend the rest of the month trying to drop those into everyday conversation without being phased. And also try to spell them correctly. 😉 
This book won't be for everybody (then again, few, if any, books are). It is one that, to my surprise, I absorbed very quickly. There were moments and experiences the author wrote about that I found myself saying "yes!" or "so true!" A good first book by the author; will be interesting to see what her next book will be about and what genre - another memoir? Or perhaps, a work of fiction?

I come from, and have significantly added to, a family of big readers. I picked up the habit of reading a few different books at once from my mother. I not only have a few books near my bedside table, I have a few around the house, on my Kindle and I listen to them on Audible.

Because I’m writing a non-fiction book I’m reading biographies and history books. Right now I’m going through books about Princess Margaret, four medieval sisters who all became queens, the Mitfords and a group of 5 sisters who were cousins with another sister pair in the courts of Louis XIV and Charles II. I’m also reading a sort of junky sci-go print book written in 1982.  On my Kindle I’m reading the third book in a sci-fi series called The Chaos Chronicles by Jeffrey A. Carver.

On Audible I’m presently listening to a book written by J.G. Lewis called The Bone Chess Set. It’s part of a series that center on mysteries set during the time of Henry III. I am happty to say that the protagonist was a real woman named Ela of Salisbury. She was married to King Henry II’s illegitimate son, William Longspee. After his death she served as the sheriff of Salisbury, of which she was Countess in her own right.

@dll770 - Your reading is very eclectic like mine.  The Bone Chess Set sounds interesting as do the various bios and histories. 🙂

I should say that I'm reading about Elezebeth Smith-Friedman.

Tis le time for self-help self-improveeee 🙌

It's been kinda rainy here in sunny southern California so it's been pretty a pretty awesome time to stay in bed all day. I won't name all the books I've read this month because I think I went through like close to 10 books and half was Freida McFadden (I'm addicted to the easy/quick reads of her books and kindleunlimited feeds the addiction).

Honorable mention is Silent Patient. This one really caught me off guard and was a really good read. 

1000014817.jpg

1000014819.jpg

1000014823.jpg

1000014821.jpg

@jaaayp You have been through quite a few books. I need to start reading moe. Sometimes it takes me a while to get into a book. I have read Atomic Habits. It had some great advice. I have The Four Agreements in my collection but I have not read it yet. I hope you enjoy the books. Any improvement we can take away is a step in the right direction. Hoping for some sunny days ahead!

I’ve heard of the four agreements as being a great book. Those all look like amazing reads! 🫶 @jaaayp 

The Silent Patient popped up so many times in this thread @jaaayp . My library is duh and not having it. Eventually I will cough up and get the kinder version

Really @blackkitty2014 sorry for the repeat! I'm so late to the club 😂 there's like 16 people on wait list at my library and it was 24 weeks of wait or something.. luckily it's on kindleunlimited for freeeee. I think kindle unlimited is very much worth for avid readers!

I eventually will sign up for kindle unlimited @jaaayp. Just that I still have lots of unread books. But please post away. That’s how I get good book recommendations from our lovely community 🥰😘🌹

I'll be keeping my eye out for your recs @blackkitty2014 👀🥰

THAT'S SO COOL 🫶🫶🫶💐💐💐

I LOVEEE SEEING BOOK GIRLIES ON HERE YES😭🫶🫶🫶

I have been reading a lot this month. I just finished the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and earlier this month I read the Crescent City series and ACOTAR. I really like her books. The ACOTAR series is my favorite of hers, then Throne of Glass, then Crescent City.

Chaol or Dorian???

@sassytheballer  Team Dorian!

@faeriegirl  Are these fantasy books?  If so, is the plot and characters fairly easy to follow?  Sounds like they are really interesting! 

@faeriegirl  thank you! 

They are fantasy/romance @Cissy63 . They are mostly about faeries and each of them have their own made up worlds. Crescent City was the only one that wasn’t as easy to follow with some of the characters.

928 Replies
testing