Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

Some people may show up at Sephora with the lashes still on if the glue is that much of a problem!! Sheesh, glue near my eye is one of the few things that make me nervous. I'd end up gluing my contact on my eye in the process! I've never used false lashes before and with my well-established track record of klutziness, I am not sure I ever should!

Anyone see the Kat Von D post about animal cruelty in regards to Cecil the lion and veganism? 

sigh. the way i see it is that if this one incident has made one person (or millions of people) realize they're not ok with it ("it" being hunting, eating, whatever) and why, then the outrage is worthy. the conversation is worth it. everyone is a hypocrite, that shouldn't cut off conversation. i've actually been disappointed by the responses by a lot of people in the veg community who are expressing similar sentiments that kvd did. how is any conversation supposed to happen if people are condemned for expressing collective outrage at something that is undeniably heinous ?!

I think the outrage is necessary, but it needs to be more tactfully delivered when you're addressing a public group that vastly differs in view from you. I say this for every "controversial" topic, so it's not solely for KVD's rant. There's a way to positively preach without making people hate you for it. I feel like she could have used this as a "learning" moment for her audience, instead of insulting them. 

I still back KVD, as I think her intentions were good and I do support the actual point, but the way she delivered her message wasn't constructive. 

Now, if she were on a vegan forum or something, this would have been perfect!

i didn't agree with her tact at all. i wasn't very clear that's what i essentially trying to say though 😛

any vegan with any real insight into the human brain and heart knows not to preach 😉

I just let it be, everyone will have their own different opinions. I'll just keep on doing what I think is right. 

VampyVarnish had an excellent blog post on this.

thats because they are.  One is senseless killing and the other is killing to provide food.  

I definitely do not completely agree with her, but I respect her opinion! I personally do not eat red meat or pork for health reasons, but I see a huge difference between killing animals for food and killing animals for purely for the "sport" "trophy" or "fun" of it. Also, lions are much more rare than a cow, chicken etc, and Cecil suffered for forty hours.

I also find it hard to believe that KVD only owns vegan-made products. Like someone else said, her brand isn't vegan and i'm pretty positive I've seen her sporting real leather...in which case, she has no place to preach about this! 

I saw it...and I thought it was a bit much, since lions are rarer animals and people don't eat their meat (that I know of).  Not comparable to me...but I just shrugged it off lol.  Part of what I like about KVD is how extreme she is...so it doesn't surprise me that occasionally she is gonna have an opinion I don't agree with.  Its just who she is 🙂

Yeah... I felt her point was valid in a way, and she's entitled to her opinion... BUT her delivery was horrible. And yes, sport killing and food killing are two different beasts (even though yes, the meat industry is horrible, too, the purpose is different). 

I feel she's a bit hypocritical, considering she wears leather and her brand isn't vegan, but maybe she's trying to change that, for all I know. Although I disagree with her about the two acts being equal and her delivery choice, I won't fault her for bring passionate about animal treatment. 

I'm a meat eater.  I can see her viewpoint.  I don't think she needed to let that rant out, but it's out.  It won't stop me from buying her products. 

lol, my next thought was "who the f@7k is Cecil the lion? 

The guy lives super close to me. My co-worker said there are like people dressed up and protesting at his house! 

Lol, I had to look up the lion thing too.

Okay, I'm all read up on dead lions and their dentists.  

I hadn't but after I saw your post I went and looked it up.

I didn't hear about this, and I'm not sure if this applies to the USA, but that's pretty scary. 

Thankfully I don't deal with fake lashes. 

i was due to have a package delivered today (contains my FAB pads, so it's near-urgent !!) 

i just checked the status and it said "first delivery attempt" and said they were coming back tomorrow.

they always leave the package at the door. why did they not do this this time ??

should i call ups ? leave a note on the door ?? i'll be gone almost all day tomorrow........sigh

Jemly, when they leave one of those notes, does it say anywhere on the front or back to sign it in a particular space and that will give them permission to leave it without anyone there to accept it? I haven't seen one of those slips for awhile because I use UPS My Choice but I thought that you could do that so you wouldn't miss it the second time around. If so, post it where they would deliver your package. If it continues to become a problem, consider UPS My Choice and pick up your packages at the location of your choice.

that's why i was so confused--there was no note left. i only knew they came because of online tracking ! very strange !!

I was just going to post this. Usually, you can sign the slip they left, leave it where they can see it, and they can then leave the package without any liability. I have had this happen with both UPS and USPS and have never had a problem. It usually only happens  with a new vendor though so I don't know what makes this delivery any different for you if it is not.  (If you have a high priced item in the order,  they may be requring it to be delivered to an actual person)

16,183 Replies
testing