Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

Welcome to Year 7 of our Pan It! Challenge ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif

ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Re: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

@itsfi @missjeanie As of the last time I purchased them, there was chocolate, vanilla and mint chocolate. Maybe the mint ones were discontinued? I can't remember.

@itsfi Haha definitely. I first heard about it on a podcast. I try to include habit stacking into all of my daily tasks. It is definitely a life hack that we all deserve a badge for! @missjeanie 

OMG I'm in awe @itsfi Great progress

@AznAngelLiz, thank you. 😃 The start of a new year and being on a low/no buy have meant more focus on my stash, including my pan items. Let’s hope I can keep this up through the year, or at least overall, as I’m sure there’ll be ups and downs along the way.

Good work this month! 🙌 

I caught up below on the Fable and Maine Convo, I have fine hair and I'm struggling to find a good balance with it too @itsfi Please do keep us posted if you find a way to use that works for you. 🙏 From what I read below I think I'm using to much and I'm going too give it more time to sink in, it seems like that's the thing to try next 😉

@itsfi I just used up a bottle of the Fable & Mane HoliRoots™ Pre-Wash Treatment Oil for Thinning Hair .  I'd read that once a week was good, but never saw how much to put in.  I used about three droppers on my scalp and then probably three more on my ends.  I found that my ends worked out fine, but that my scalp still felt... oily after washing.  I swapped out to one of my less moisturising shampoos after that and though it was better I ended up washing my hair twice after using, where I normally am fine without the repeat step.  I wasn't sure if I was using too much on my scalp, but I wanted all of my scalp to get some love.  I thought maybe I was using too much, or it was meant for people with a dry scalp where mine is oily? I did really end up loving the scent though, and my ends looked great!  I would put it on on a Sunday afternoon and wear my hair up in a bun until I had my shower that evening. 

I'm super curious how you end up liking this.  I gave one to a friend who has very dry scalp and she's loving it.  My sister in law also got one and she absolutely hated it after trying it twice (too oily for her fine hair) so I now have another half bottle that I think I'll just apply to the ends of my hair.  

I'm wondering if this is just a case of it's great for some and not so great for others?

@missjeanie @itsfi I forgot to mention that I use 1-2 drops on my scalp. My scalp is oily too. I am also curious to know how the changes you apply this week work for you.

Will definitely keep you posted @Mellmars1185 @missjeanie. I just put a post-it note on my bathroom mirror to remind myself that I have a date with this Fable & Mane HoliRoots™ Pre-Wash Treatment Oil for Thinning Hair on Thursdays! 🗒

Oh, this is good to know @missjeanie; thank you! Based on what you and @Mellmars1185 shared, I'm now wondering if it's an issue with the amount I'm using and when I'm using it. I was using it weekly on Sunday night but I'm thinking that may not be the ideal day for me. My hair is exposed more to heating during the work week with use of styling products and the heater running in the office, which can definitely cause my hair and scalp to lean more dry by the end of the week. For the rest of this month, I'll aim to apply the product when I get home from work on Thursday and plan to wash my hair that evening or the next morning. Will post an update with Febuary's panning progress. 

@itsfi great check in. Oh no, what are your thoughts on thr Fable and Mane? 

Thanks so much @Mellmars1185! I feel like it’s taking a long time to rinse the pre-wash oil out of my hair and I’m not sure it’s all rinsed out? My hair stylist recommended wearing overnight and then washing my hair the next morning. I’ve tried that a couple of times, but each time it feels like there’s still a residue in my hair - it doesn’t feel soft and light. I wonder if I’m just putting too much of the Fable & Mane in my hair? You use and like this, yes? What’s your routine with it? 

@itsfi Ahh I see. I have tried the Fable and Mane and JVN. I haven't noticed the residue after. I do wear it overnight sometimes but I stopped because I was breaking out on my forehead.  I use it on Sundays when I am doing chores now. I use one dropper and use SEPHORA COLLECTION Silicone Scalp Massager for a few minutes to give my scalp a massage and absorb the oil. I usually double shampoo or use a detoxify shampoo when I use a scalp oil. Once I am done Fable and Mane I am going to try the Ouai. I remember you saying you really enjoyed that one. I am assuming you didnt have much residue with that one? 

Oh, that's a good idea to use a detoxifying or clarifying shampoo @Mellmars1185; thank you. I'll try that the next time I reach for the hair oil, as well as not leaving it in for as long as I have been. Will report back with how it goes. The OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL can be rinsed out or left in; I tend to use it after I've washed my hair though I have on occasion applied it to dry hair before styling. 

@itsfiOh thanks for the tip! I probably would have used it as a scalp serum. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you 😊

You can absolutely use it as a scalp serum @Mellmars1185; I had read that you could leave it in your hair so that was easier for me and ended up working out really well.

Fabulous job!!! @itsfi 

@lmaster, thank you; I’m just putting my head down and chipping away at everything. 

IMG_7632.jpeg

This bottle of foundation has been with me since December 2022 (I checked my purchase history). It was one of my first non-drugstore makeup purchases and it has not disappointed for the most part. It feels great on my skin and isn’t difficult to work with. My only issue is that it seems to be lighter on me now. I can usually correct it with some bronzer. I may end up panning it (bottling it???) though I may end up destashing it sooner since it doesn’t quite match my complexion anymore. 

@JoSometimes  I applaud you for using up so much of the foundation!  You mentioned trying something new.  Good luck picking out a new one 😀

@Cissy63 Thank you! It’s the only foundation I have at my disposal and I’m now wearing makeup regularly, even in guy-mode. It was just a matter of time. 

@JoSometimes Do you think you'd like to re-purchase the same foundation in another shade?  Or will you branch out and try new formulas?  Looks like there isn't too much left to pan! 

1,061 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos323
  • ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif
  • ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg
  • End of Bones.jpg
  • Start of Robbery 23.jpg
  • CT Dec 23.jpg
  • Liners, mascara, misc
  • Blushes and Bronzers
  • Highlighters
  • Highlighters 2