Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

Welcome to Year 7 of our Pan It! Challenge ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif

ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Re: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

Thx you @faeriegirl 🌹

You finished it in 2024, it totally counts, @blackkitty2014!! Congrats!!

Thx you @haleyvvvv 

@blackkitty2014 Cheating .... meh.... no judging here!  I love this mask too, such a good one!

Great start to the new year @blackkitty2014. It's motivating to know it can be done LOL

I love a good hype moment. 😉 @blackkitty2014 Yes!! ❤️

That's amazing feedback. I really love the softeness and lasting hydration I get from this, all the way to the ends of my hair.

Exactly right @CynthieLu .i will haul a giant tube of this during Spring sale. 

Fantastic job!! @blackkitty2014 

7 years? That's impressive @ElleElleG! This is my 5th year and I can say that I continue to learn so much from this challenge. Love and appreciate the support and encouragement that everyone here provides to one another. 

Where I will keep all my project pan productsWhere I will keep all my project pan products

Pan It! 2024: The ProductsPan It! 2024: The Products

10 products, 14 goals, 366 days.

#
Product
Pan Goal
Natasha Denona Biba All Neutral Eyeshadow Palette Full Size Biba Neutral Eyeshadow Palette # - shine
Full pan
ND Biba - rustic
Full pan
ND Biba - prairie
Hit pan*
ND Biba - tone
Hit pan*
Full pan
WA Lip Suede Palette - one other shade
Hit pan
Use Up
Use up
Fable & Mane HoliRoots™ Pre-Wash Treatment Oil for Thinning Hair (Sephoria swag bag)Make progress
Ceremonia Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant Spray 6.7 oz / 200 mL (Sephoria swag bag)

Make progress

Oribe Mini Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL #

Make progress
Make progress
PHLUR Vanilla Skin Hair & Body Fragrance Mist #
Use up
Cuccio Naturale Cuticle Oil
Use up

* For eye shadow shades prairie and tone, I will try to hit pan on both by or before the first half of 2024. If I'm not able to do so, I will scoop out whatever product remains in each shade to hit pan and will convert them to lip balms. I'll work to use up all the products in the DIY lip balms as a way to "hit pan" on both those eyeshadow shades. 

I tried to incorporate at least one (1) product from the various beauty categories - makeup (ND Biba, WA Lip Suede palette); body care (Hanni, 54 Thrones); hair care (Fable and Mane, Ceremonia , Oribe); skincare (OleHenriksen); fragrance (Phlur);  and nail care (Cuccio Naturale).

I'll plan to post status updates on a monthly basis again, but like 2023, each month's post may not include an update on every product, except for the end of January to show a general idea of how much product I can expect to use up by the end of a month with "regular" use, and possibly the end of June for a mid-term status report. For the most part, my monthly updates will include updates of products that are making significantly noticeable progress. 

Super excited for another year of panning with everyone. Here we go, BIC panning pals! We got this! 👊

Whoop whoop, Biba continued! @itsfi I'm liking the table you created and that you have a designated storage location for the items you're focusing on. Definitely makes it easier to grab what you need.

@itsfi love these goals, and how organized you are with them! I like how you incorporated some “progress” projects - it can be hard/daunting to commit to using up a full product at the beginning of the year! 

@cianni, it's one of the "lessons learned" I picked up from past pan it! challenges. Mentally it's helpful to keep motivated and, also it takes some of the pressure off and makes it easier to swap out a product if it's not working, rather than feeing like I need to work harder to finish it because I set it as a goal. I can always change the goal part way through the year if I'm finding that a product is working or not working for me. 

Having some structure helps me stay accountable. It also makes it easier to know how to summarize my monthly updates succintly - I can match my notes on a product with how it compares to my goal for it. I love your layout with a monthly notebook - it's all in one place for you to view. Sometimes, it's the little details that make such a big difference, isn't it?

@itsfi  Yes, exactly! The project only works as well as the planning that goes into it! Plus it’s nice to have it formatted in a way that you actually can/want to go back and refer to your notes later. My first iteration of a pan project was so all over the place that it’s impossible for me to make heads or tails about what I was talking about 😂

omg yes @cianni! It’s funny (and fascinating) to go back and look at the first pan project. There are moments when I think “what were you thinking?” 😆 But that shows we’ve grown and learned. 👍🏼 Am excited to see what comes of all our pan goals this year! 

Good luck @itsfi!

Thank you @faeriegirl, and good luck to you too. 

I continue to be in awe of your palette panning, @itsfi!! What a great list of products to pan!! You got this!! 

Oh my goodness, thank you for your kind words @haleyvvvv! 💛 I'm looking forward to another year of panning; over half of the pan products are new-to-me. 

Great spread of products, great goals.  @itsfi Any initial thoughts on the Ceremonia Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant Spray 6.7 oz / 200 mL ?  I have one here to try, but haven't gotten to it just yet. 

@missjeanie, I've only used Ceremonia Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant Spray 6.7 oz / 200 mL once but so far, it's been good. I like that it's lightweight and that it's a quick, easy and effective detangler - it applies quickly and easily and has a nice slip to it that makes it easy peasy to run my fingers through my hair, conditioning and detangling it. It's easy to rinse out too, and leaves my hair feeling healthier and hydrated, without weighing it down or leavin a film or residue. Oh, and it smells divine! Fruity and tropical. It also functions as a heat protectant; I love the 2-in-1 functionality. It cuts down the number of products I need to remember to use on my hair. And, did I mention that it smells amazing!!!

25 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos201
  • ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif
  • ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg
  • End of Bones.jpg
  • Start of Robbery 23.jpg
  • CT Dec 23.jpg
  • Liners, mascara, misc
  • Blushes and Bronzers
  • Highlighters
  • Highlighters 2