Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trans is Beautiful
|

How old is too old for foundation (shelf-life)

Hello,

My first post here & relatively new to makeup.

I have a few (some gifted from my GF) KVD Lock-It foundation that is at least 2 years old and open for that long as well. I just bought new as my color is changing in a new climate after moving & I noticed that after using the new the smell was quite different.

Is the smell an indication it may not be good to use the old any longer? Is the older ones safe to use? Are there changes that happen as it ages that alter how it works?

Thanks!

Anonymous Insider

Re: How old is too old for foundation (shelf-life)

we’ll when you buy a makeup product on one of the sides or bottom their will be a picture of a jar it will say something like 12m, 6m, and that means if you opened it last week it will be good for another 12 or 6 months 

Most foundations are good for 12months once opening. The longest I’ve kept my foundations for is 2 years. I have an EL that is just past 1.5 years that i plan on repurchasing a new one during the next sale. And the CT is so full coverage i suspect i will never finish it in time either lol. Smell , consistency and color can oxidize are all good indicators. Makeup in a cool dry place will increase longevity of products but yes for sure wouldn’t go past 2 years. 

@EmilyKarma I would not use the foundation from your gf that is 2 years old.  On the bottle it should have a little container symbol with how long the product is good for after opening. Most foundations are good for a year after opening. If you notice that it doesn’t smell right that is an indication that it has gone bad. 

Thank you, I appreciate the replies!

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing